• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's trend chasing is proving disastrous

Jose92

[Membe
Disclaimer: This is my opinion

In the past five years, PlayStation has shifted its focus from being an industry leader and trendsetter to becoming a trend follower. The success of GAAS (Games as a Service) in the last decade has started influencing the perspective and direction of PlayStation and its studios.

PlayStation set the standard for single-player games from the early days of the PS1 by either developing or sponsoring unique and interesting titles. The uniqueness of PlayStation was always in its variety of genres—from racing to action to JRPGs, etc. Think of a genre, and PlayStation had some form of exclusive in it.

However, in the last five years, coming off the success of the PS4 after the near death of PlayStation caused by the overengineering of the PS3, PlayStation has shifted its priorities. It is now focusing heavily on trying to find a unicorn like Fortnite or COD. The purchase of Bungie was the culmination of this shift, which has proven to be disastrous. And Concord the latest example of a little too late.

In my opinion, if Sony continues on this path, they will lose many of the fans who built the brand to where it is today. Their first-party output this generation has been anemic.

reinking

Gold Member
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

SenkiDala

I kinda agree. They're missing a leader with a vision.

Sony has always been "saved" by their 1st party exclusives, now it is the 3rd party exclusives that saves them. Stellar Blade, FFVII Remake / Rebirth, Death Stranding 1 & 2, Blackmyth Wukong (not an exclusive but right now, until the Xbox version arrives, it is), Silent Hill 2.

Before I loved basically all 1st parties from Sony, now I love Naught Dog games. That's all. Nothing more. Dislike Horizon, God of War is great but too "standard", nothing special in it.

And yes their race to find their GaaS success is wasting all their ressources.

Unknown?

In the past five years, PlayStation has shifted its focus from being an industry leader and trendsetter to becoming a trend follower. The success of GAAS (Games as a Service) in the last decade has started influencing the perspective and direction of PlayStation and its studios.

PlayStation set the standard for single-player games from the early days of the PS1 by either developing or sponsoring unique and interesting titles. The uniqueness of PlayStation was always in its variety of genres—from racing to action to JRPGs, etc. Think of a genre, and PlayStation had some form of exclusive in it.

However, in the last five years, coming off the success of the PS4 after the near death of PlayStation caused by the overengineering of the PS3, PlayStation has shifted its priorities. It is now focusing heavily on trying to find a unicorn like Fortnite or COD. The purchase of Bungie was the culmination of this shift, which has proven to be disastrous. And Concord the latest example of a little too late.

In my opinion, if Sony continues on this path, they will lose many of the fans who built the brand to where it is today. Their first-party output this generation has been anemic.
How? They haven't released many Gaas games and even in their original vision they still had less than half of their pipeline as Gaas.

Three

Just buy the games that aren't GaaS and stop worrying about other games you're not interested in. They don't take away from the existence of other games. Astrobot is releasing soon, enjoy that instead of being upset about the existence of Helldivers 2 or Concord.

Just buy the games that aren't GaaS and stop worrying about other games you're not interested in. They don't take away from the existence of other games. Astrobot is releasing soon, enjoy that instead of being upset about the existence of Helldivers 2 or Concord.
Do you think currently that PS5 matches first party games that both PS3 and PS4 produced? Where are the games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Their SP studios are still SP studios, nothing changed. They even acquired more SP studios than they previously had, we just haven’t heard what they’re working on.

images
Live Service hasn't influenced Playstation studios, but they bought a bunch of studios focused solely on Live Service?

Not to mention we know ND was working on a Live-Service game before it was cancelled.. one that was supposed to be a traditional multi-player mod for TLOU2.. and those "multi-genre" studios have all kinds of live-service rumors surrounding them including job listings asking for Live Service experiences.

Sony has said they wanted to do some sort of hybrid new form of story-driven Live Service... ALMOST like they were influenced by the trend.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Agree with some of your points OP, Sony used to produce a much more diverse portfolio up until the PS4 imo, where they found their sweet and safe spot with the third-person cinematic adventure games.

For me it's just that they seem to have changed their target audience. They used to have many cool japanese titles as exclusives but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, specially after the closure of Japan Studio, and instead they've focused on lots of Marvel stuff and some GaaS games which couldn't be far from what I want out of a game.

They aren't doomed or anything of the sort, but yeah, you won't catch me buying a PS5 anytime soon.

edit: many typos

Last edited:

bitbydeath

ALMOST like they were influenced by the trend.
Agreed with everything up til this point.
Polyphony and MM have always been this way.
Days Gone was supposed to feature MP but PS4 wasn’t powerful enough for what they had intended. That just leaves Guerrilla which is probably referring to their new IP.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Agreed with everything up til this point.
Polyphony and MM have always been this way.
Days Gone was supposed to feature MP but PS4 wasn’t powerful enough for what they had intended. That just leaves Guerrilla which is probably referring to their new IP.

It's really just absurd to deny Playstation Studios hasn't been influenced by live service. They literally bought several just for that, and bought Bungie partly for their expertise and to lend a hand advising their other studios (including Naughty Dog.)

And yes, Sony has had games that could be considered Live Service in the past.. that doesn't; mean they weren't influenced by the trend of them becoming huge blockbusters lol

Last edited:

Three

Do you think currently that PS5 matches first party games that both PS3 and PS4 produced? Where are the games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian?
Where are the games like Stellar Blade or Astrobot on PS3? It's easy to say it doesn't match PS3 exactly but the landscape of game releases has changed, doesn't mean the non-GaaS games don't exist. The more you ignore them and live service games like Helldivers 2, CoD, Fortnite, FO76, etc continue to do better the more it shows any live service push as right.

Lambogenie

The brand is still very very strong and resonates with many.

Every publisher wants a unicorn, not just Sony. Everyone wants Fortnite, Pokemon Go or what have but the reality is there will always be some crazy successes but most can just be regular. Bit like humans. Some are destiny for greatness, someone aren't.

I do think their 1st 2nd party output has been underwhelming and meh. Technically fine but meh. More of the same.

Flabagast

100% agree.

Even their recent SP output has been pretty mid imho. Neither Horizon 2, Ragnarok or SM2, despite the hype and overinflated reviews, have had the same impact as their predecessors and they are all somewhat safe, bloated and ultimately disappointing sequels. That + the absurd focus on money sinking GaaS paint a very different picture that during late PS3 and PS4 eras.

Last edited:

Tg89

I agree.

Been doing a lot of PS2 emulation lately and while it's an obviously high bar, PS5 just falls so short. Wannabe prestige entertainment and GaaS and not much in between. Hell of a lot better than what MS has become, but still.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Bought Bungie for GaaS, so Destiny 2, Marathon, and Cancelled Destiny 3. then there’s Concord, Foamstars, Helldivers 2, Planetside 2. TLOU Online was cancelled.
You forget Fairgames, Horizon Online (in dev), next Bend Studio project. + Spider-Man GaaS cancelled + Destruction Allstars (discontinued). They probably have some other in store as well.

It seems absurd that some keep saying they have not shifted course. Are these people blind ?

Edit: there is also Sony London future hero shooter, Deviation's GaaS (cancelled), Firesprite GaaS (cancelled)

for god's sake they had 12 first party GaaS in dev just last year

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm sure it was a necessary change for them to change focus over the years, but yea the breadth of genres that Playstation first party studios used to put out (including quirky AA JP games) was what endeared them to me and made me a fan in PS1/PS2/PS3 days. PS4 was the beginning of their westernization focus and decisions to cut out the AA stuff for AAA blockbuster hits. Probably was financially a good move for them, but for me, as a person that plays and enjoys video games, it was a form of disrespect. Now into the PS5 gen, there's very little left for me. Their high quality single player games are tainted with agenda pushing, they invested heavily into chasing the GaaS trends, and their release schedule is anemic and focuses too much on big name sequels.

It's fine though, I've moved on from the Playstation ecosystem, and they seem to be able to make enough money with this new audience to cover the absolute money pits that they've been creating, so I guess it works out for everybody.

Seriously, how many individual topics do we need on this noise? Just make a Nintendoomed, oh I’m sorry, Sonydoomed official thread at this point.
Doom, gloom, and anger are the online currency of today. I can't bother to live my life that way on a daily basis (especially regarding hobby that brings me tons of fun experiences), but I've decided not to question why others do.

kaizenkko

Their SP studios are still SP studios, nothing changed. They even acquired more SP studios than they previously had, we just haven’t heard what they’re working on.

images
You is right, but Sony also put Naughty Dog to develop a big live service game, and they have spend how many years on that? I doubt that was a ND's ideia, certaly Sony's decisions about GAAS initiative have influence them.

Bend and Guerrilla are also developing live service games, but in the last gen they develop single-player games. So in the end of the day we can say that Sony's single-player studios have really increased?

nial

Stellar Blade, Fvii Rebirth, Astro Bot.

Their fp is cooking for too long but the sheer variety of exclusive timed or otherwise is quite good this gen.
I consider (Sony does as well) every game mentioned in both replies to be FP except for FF7R. Within their internal studios; Astro Bot, GT7, GOWR, HFW, Rift Apart, SM2, MM, etc. is more than a reasonable lineup thus far.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I don’t like it when gamers talk like this. We are consumers, it doesn’t matter to us (or shouldn’t anyway) how much money Sony or MS are making. The only capital that matters is games, are they making good games that we want to play.

They're not mutually excusive though. Many of us here are both gamers and own stocks in these companies. So I want them to make good games AND make lots of money.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Oh...my...god. Sony has one flop GaaS and this forum goes into overdrive.

Literally after all they are releasing this year, it only includes 3(!!!) live games: Helldivers 2, MLB (a yearly entry) and Concord. Two were hits. The other wasn't.

Everything else? TLOU2 Remastered, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FFVII Rebirth, Astrobot, Until Dawn remake, Lego Horizon.

For 2025 the one game we know for sure its coming is Death Stranding 2. The other game Sony has announced? Wolverine. That's 2 more story-driven single player games. That makes it 9 out of 12 games that aren't online.

Y'all really need to stop with this narrative when it's pretty damn clear Sony's main focus is NOT GaaS games. You just chose to talk about them alone because you want them to fail miserably so you always keep a check on them.

How the fuck is Sony blindly chasing that trend? lmao.

Pejo

Gold Member
They're not mutually excusive though. Many of us here are both gamers and own stocks in these companies. So I want them to make good games AND make lots of money.
I feel like they should be looked at from two different angles at the very least though. Often times the best way to pump up stock value is to fuck over your customers. How do you compile that? You're on a gaming enthusiast forum, not a stock exchange forum.

JaksGhost

We honestly wouldn't be having these discussions if Sony hadn't made GOW Ragnorok, GT 7, and Horizon Forbidden West cross-gen. Those three games alone being PS5 exclusives would've shifted this whole conversation because for some reason they are constantly excluded in their output for this generation.

nial

We honestly wouldn't be having these discussions if Sony hadn't made GOW Ragnorok, GT 7, and Horizon Forbidden West cross-gen. Those three games alone being PS5 exclusives would've shifted this whole conversation because for some reason they are constantly excluded in their output for this generation.
I feel like people are always looking for excuses to dismiss Sony's output these days; God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7? "They're cross-gen!" Helldivers 2? "It's GAAS!" Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade? "They're not made by internal studios!". Astro Bot? "It's not a big game!". Spider-Man 2? "Fuck Insomniac!".
I'm convinced that people won't stop complaining until GOT2 and ND's new IP -and ONLY those two games- get announced. But who knows, the narrative will probably change AGAIN in that they are only focusing on big blockbusters.

AmuroChan

I feel like they should be looked at from two different angles at the very least though. Often times the best way to pump up stock value is to fuck over your customers. How do you compile that? You're on a gaming enthusiast forum, not a stock exchange forum.

I don't disagree, and there are moves that Sony has made that I didn't like, such as buying Haven and Firewalk when they haven't proven anything. However, I'm also not in the doom and gloom camp. My backlog is like 100+ games at this point. So I can't relate with the people that complain about having no games to play.

peek

OR! heres an idea. Just make good games? People so hyper focused on how a game is monetized rather than the actual GAME.

Guaranteed that if Concord actually had appealing characters that people instantly fell in love with, along with actual gameplay that is top notch better than the rest of its competitors... then it wouldnt have failed THIS HARD.

If the game was actually good people would flock to it and make good money.

DryvBy

This opinion is invalid as it doesn't take into consideration the facts. Sony has GaaS games lined up. So does everyone. Values big announcement is some F2P moba crap that's boring AF and chasing a model almost two decades old now. Value isn't doomed lol.

Sony is putting out Astro next week and practically all gamers had nothing but positive things to say about it.

In the PS1 days, just go look at all of the first party games. There were a ton of stinkers.

Crayon

The gaas pivot probably slowed some things down but that's not the main problem. It's that they've painted themselves into a corner trying to one-up their own games. It's taking too long and probably costing too much.

I'm playing rebirth and it's got rough edges all over. I don't care. It mostly looks amazing. I wouldn't want to wait another year for them to comb over every detail.

AmuroChan

I'm playing rebirth and it's got rough edges all over. I don't care. It mostly looks amazing. I wouldn't want to wait another year for them to comb over every detail.

Also, they could save a lot of time by just not creating so much bloat in games. I really liked Rebirth, but most of the side quests were pointless. They could've cut all the side stuff by 50% and it wouldn't impact the game in any way IMO.

Top Bottom