• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park, Metro: LL, Company of Heroes 2 all delayed, THQ looking for cash options

Petrae

This is good news. I see that Jason doesn't sleep at the wheel and understand they save THQ only with quality product --- something that sure takes more time to develloped than what the current THQ employees are used to.

Impatient gamers are stupid, THQ will just die if they don't do this. It's all about "do you want the game or not". If your answer is yes, you are better be patient.

It's noble that the publisher is concerned about quality, but their time is just about up and it's hard to argue that anyone should inject more money into the publisher versus just letting it die and picking apart the remains afterwards. It's not "gamers" that THQ has to worry about right now; it's lack of money and lack of investor confidence.

It's unfortunate that Rubin came on so late in this process. I think he has some good ideas and represents the publisher well, but when the money runs out, there's not much you can do. I think that Rubin did an admirable job in selling THQ's lineup to a potential buyer during the call, basically saying that there are winners for the taking as long as someone can pony up some cash.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man...

I've been hoping to see South Park slip out the door before the house comes crashing down. This sucks.

Although to be honest, I'm mostly just concerned about what that would mean for Obsidian. Kickstarter ain't gonna pay the bills.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
But I was really looking forward to the South Park game. ;_;
I know...
Come on THQ, release Saints Row 4 on the same day as GTA V, have a BF3 vs MW3 kind of showdown (aka hype the shit of unhypable shit), make money in the process, and gives us South Park.

Miletius

South Park will be fine. There is every reason to think that some publisher, somewhere, will want it.

As for the others, well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It's unfortunate that Rubin came on so late in this process. I think he has some good ideas and represents the publisher well, but when the money runs out, there's not much you can do. I think that Rubin did an admirable job in selling THQ's lineup to a potential buyer during the call, basically saying that there are winners for the taking as long as someone can pony up some cash.

Reading over it hes very much making the case that if he gets the money he can sell these games and turn the company around off the back of this.

Sad to hear this:
Having said that, Darksiders 2 did not perform to our expectations or live up to its generally favorable reception. Observing this and other recent industry releases, one is left with a firm understanding that in the current marketplace, only the absolute top tier of releases is making impact on the game consumer. I now have an opportunity to start impacting our next slate of products and positioning them to compete in this marketplace.

Their just getting squeezed out of the market and have no 'big IP' like the other big players.
I just think that buying the company as a whole is not a good prospect, its value lies in its different parts - collected together I struggle to see how 'THQ' adds value to its own brands. Someone might take the risk, its at the end of the generation so in some ways its the best time for this to happen - theres opportunity to be had if you can get the talent in the company moving in the right direction.

Not holding a Q&A is pretty disastrous though.
Their really looking for a buyer whose willing to bet a lot of money at this stage; or who'll get a lot of value from the people at the company (can't see this myself unless a big company just happens to be looking to expand into gaming at exactly the right time).

Does seem like one of those $1 takeovers on the cards though.

I hope South Park is ok whatever happens, funnily enough I just bought a THQ game last week actually (WWE '13) so they've got that money at least!

rouken

i hope they don't go under. or if they do, other publishers save all those great franchises. i just want my coh2

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the South Park game looked promising.

iammeiam

Man, this sucks.

It would really be a bummer if Saints Row 3 never gets the proper sequel it deserves.

I'm really wondering about the decision to push Enter the Dominatrix back and turn it into a 'sequel' instead of an expansion pack now. Are they just going to stick a 4 on it and try to release it next holiday? Done right an expansion pack could have been an excellent cash infusion; trying to morph it into a full sequel at full pricetag with only incremental changes will probably not sell that well.

BD1

Banned
The end is nigh.

Is it unrealistic to think THQ might try to sell the South Park, Metro, CoH and other in development projects to other publishers in an effort to raise capital, then shutter as much as possible and refocus on social/mobile/etc?

Seems like there is no way they can survive as a major console publisher anymore.

sflufan

Banned
Let's see, the market cap is about $21 million and there's the $100 million in convertible debt, so the PE firm will need about $121 million to acquire the company entirely.

Seems pretty do-able actually for that PE firm.

JustinBB7

I love Saints Row/South Park and Metro was a good game too, so I hope they pull it together because I'm looking forward to all of those games.

Maybe they can strike a deal with another publisher to Co Publisher there games to get some money flowing?

THQ could be the newest member of EA Partners!

I hope they get through this and THQ survives well into the next generation but I REALLY hope Volition finds somewhere financially secure.

Maybe they should have released that standalone saints row expatiation they canned in favor of rolling it into SR4?

Kifimbo

Sounds like the three games might not be good (or weren't).

In the earnings call, he essentially painted Company of Heroes 2, Metro: Last Light and South Park: The Stick of Truth as being games that weren't shaping up well when he came on board. None, he said, were as good as Darksiders II, the commercially disappointing title that earned a respectable, but not awe-inspiring Metcritic score of 84.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/180927/THQ_Is_this_the_beginning_of_the_end.php#.UJh2noaa5OY

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man...

I've been hoping to see South Park slip out the door before the house comes crashing down. This sucks.

Although to be honest, I'm mostly just concerned about what that would mean for Obsidian. Kickstarter ain't gonna pay the bills.

I'd wager the kickstarter was a lifeboat. Devs know these things in advance of the public.

MrBS

South Park delayed? Welp.

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

brumx

Goodbye to wrestling games for awhile unless somebody wants to team with Yukes tho EA likes AKI and EA might have the engine still.

malfcn

THQ is fucked.

They released Darksiders 2 with broken promises fill of glitches. The DLC has been abysmal (and achievement/trophy free). One more DLC is planned. Their executives and talent is fleeing. The ship is sinking, and the whirlpool may already be an inescapable vortex.

THQ is fucked.

They released Darksiders 2 with broken promises fill of glitches. The DLC has been abysmal (and achievement/trophy free). One more DLC is planned. Their executives and talent is fleeing. The ship is sinking, and the whirlpool may already be an inescapable vortex.

Doom.gif but really this is sad, THQ literally has the only properties I'm still actually willing to plop down full price for.

Metro and Darksiders. I hope they pull through...

So long as my South Park game survives all will be good. It was already delayed once, but another delay is just killing me. Don't get me wrong, I want quality but I am scared the publisher wont be in business by then.

Company of Heroes 2 deserves so much better. I hope that someone like Square Enix have good sense to pick up that IP when the shit inevitably hits the fan.

I feel sorta bad since I don't really care about THQ; just my South Park game. Someone save it! ;_;

There's no doubt in my mind that South Park will get published. Even if THQ can't do it, they will probably find another publisher that can. This situation almost reminds me of when Activision-Blizzard dropped Ghostbusters from their line up, and it was later picked up by Infogrames/ Atari.

Soul_Pie

Darksiders 2 was a bit of a mess in some ways, but I think the series is still one with the potential to be great and I'd like to see how the story continues. But damn they really need a gameplay director with a bit of vision to bring it altogether because there are just so many dull tropes present in that game and constant, thoughtless borrowing from other genres and series. I mean, that earth section was absolutely typical of an industry obsessed with shoehorning FPS elements and the end result is just horrendous. I hope they make some changes to the Wii version because it was just as in need of the extra development time as the ones they've just announced. That being said, maybe this is partly in response to the lukewarm reception to darksiders 2???

malfcn

Darksiders is an awesome IP and Universe. It just needs some one that knows how to direct it. I don't want to say it was a mess. Some parts were fantastic. Other parts were a snore.

Top Bottom