• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the japanese opening and ending themes

Why were they cut? Seriously, why? They're great
Japan has less time set aside in a 30 minute block for advertisements, that's why there's cuts for toonami. I'd rather see the opening or ending get cut than episode content.

Gazoinks

Agree'd. And if that isolated incident was the only thing that he didn't like, I don't think it's worth throwing the baby out with the bath water on the whole dub just yet.

But speaking of Bahi, this gif has the not-storyboarded cut he mentioned Nakamura worked on. Some of the animation in the latter half of the episode is beyond stellar.

Wow, that wasn't storyboarded? Awesome. That whole sequence in the last half of the episode was great, really hit all the notes I was hoping this show would hit.

Mature

Japan has less time set aside in a 30 minute block for advertisements, that's why there's cuts for toonami. I'd rather see the opening or ending get cut than episode content.
Yes... but the leading show on Toonami has typically retained it's full OP/ED (See: Bleach). Does anyone know if Bleach got it's full OP last night?

Wow, that wasn't storyboarded? Awesome. That whole sequence in the last half of the episode was great, really hit all the notes I was hoping this show would hit.
Nope. Sounds like they had a lot of freedom.

Evilisk

Well that's a shame. Dandy's snazzy dancing is soo good

Wow this changes everything. He's right, I totally passed over the character as just a forgettable waitress in a sci-fi Hooters parody. At least he clarifies that this is a just a small misstep in the localization process and that everything else in the dub is top notch.

Yeah I can agree with this.

It even makes the following scene funnier when you realize she probably doesn't actually have to dance when the music goes on, and that she probably did that just so she doesn't have to put up with Dandy anymore

Yonafunu

On a seperate note, I love how big Bahi is getting. If you see his progress since the start on Anipages, it's great to see how far he's gotten, and in such a short time too. It's even more remarkable because he's a foreigner. Awesome.

That was some beautifully animated and scored nonsense. Can't wait to see where the show goes from here. However I feel pretty bad about myself for finding breastaurant far more hilarious than I should have.

i would imagine either somebody at Funimation didn't get the memo about the full opening being ok since all of their shows on Toonami have had shortened ones or there was some weirdness with getting the rights for the song to play on TV. which is a shame because the full opening looks great. the one we got on Toonami looks a little....cheap.

Edit: Just read Bahi's post. I can see how that would be a problem. It makes a ditz out of a character that might be a bit more cunning than we thought.

Well if the girls are just "acting" dumb like he says that just means she is more committed in the dub. Also as the show is a comedy I found the dub line funnier than the Japanese line. Also someone actually replying Asteroid Belt in that situation would have to be extremely stupid, so honestly I feel like if the intention of her character is to have her be a girl that is acting dumb than the Dub succeeded and is actually more subtle than the Japanese version.

Amikami

Banned
Uh no, Bleach gets its ending theme cut. The opening didn't even air last night.

Wow. I didn't even know this. Walked out and came back 4 mins into Bleach. Assumed I had just missed it.Toonami was serious about the leading show getting the full Op, but then we get the OP from funimation...

Nerokis

Wow this changes everything. He's right, I totally passed over the character as just a forgettable waitress in a sci-fi Hooters parody. At least he clarifies that this is a just a small misstep in the localization process and that everything else in the dub is top notch.

Ah, come on. Had Bahi not pointed out her future significance, would the difference in dialogue (asteroid belt vs. ass/worm/whatever insulting phrase) really have resonated so differently to you that you'd have seen Honey's character in an entirely different light? Really, it changes almost nothing. It could be argued to be a small misstep, I suppose, but essentially the effect is the same: either way, we know very little about Honey, and that
she's playing a role
is more implied by the setting/her job title than either the English or Japanese versions of her dialogue. I would also say she had a vague charisma in the English version, too, that subtly implied there was something deeper there.

I mean, I can understand why Bahi would feel the way he does. He's very invested in the show, and highly in sync with the narrative. Any slight change in dialogue, tone, etc. being jarring to him is understandable. I'd also say, though, that said investment could easily blind him to the possible merits of why something was changed. In this case, you could say Funimation was playing up
her acting
a little more, to further contrast with the real Honey we see later on, for example.

In the end, though, I'm glad the changes he was referring to were so trivial. So far I've only seen the dub, and I really, really enjoyed it. I can always feel how things change or resonate differently in translation, though, so I'm really looking forward to watching Space Dandy subbed.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get over how great the narrator is in the Japanese version. It's right out of an NHK documentary.
Well if the girls are just "acting" dumb like he says that just means she is more committed in the dub. Also as the show is a comedy I found the dub line funnier than the Japanese line. Also someone actually replying Asteroid Belt in that situation would have to be extremely stupid, so honestly I feel like if the intention of her character is to have her be a girl that is acting dumb than the Dub succeeded and is actually more subtle than the Japanese version.
Is there any hint that she isn't actually dumb in the dub though?

Nerokis

Is there any hint that she isn't actually dumb in the dub though?

I'd say it's more or less equally hinted at in both versions. The change in dialogue was pointed out to you in the context of an explanation that there's more to Honey's character than meets the eye. If you remove that context from the Japanese version, the dialogue doesn't exactly scream, "This girl has hidden depth!" In the same way, if you add it to the English version, you can easily see how the ridiculous of her answer (asteroid belt...?) was very purposeful.

At this point, we're supposed to be interpreting her character. Later on it's going to become very clear who Honey is.

Mature

Those who're looking for a bit more structure out of the plot than what episode 1 gave should be pleased to hear that they're not all crazy and random:

VCQEYbc.png

Dresden

That does seem like a non-trivial change but also blown out of proportion at the same time? I guess it's hard to say without knowing that character's future contributions. At least we can move on from it, right?

It's blown out of proportion considering the constraints of writing for a dub. The translation isn't just trying to capture the meaning and context of the original language, the diction has to sync with the animation itself, as in, flappin' lips. So some lines are going to be altered more than would be for a sub, and some lines are going to lose meaning, and so on and so forth--basically, what happens to any work of translation.

Firemind

Ah, come on. Had Bahi not pointed out her future significance, would the difference in dialogue (asteroid belt vs. ass/worm/whatever insulting phrase) really have resonated so differently to you that you'd have seen Honey's character in an entirely different light?

Yes? I was honestly a bit stunned when she answered with a not so subtle insult (keep in mind she's working to attend to the customer) and showed that she isn't merely a waitress. Combined with the fact that she's a returning character, as she's prominently seen in the OP (which the funanimation dub left out), I have no idea what possessed the localization team to have her answer with 'asteroid belt'.

Yonafunu

It's been said before, but the animation was top-notch, especially the action. Yutapon and Bahi delivered big time.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Thing is about the whole localization debate.. is you at the very least have the option to watch both! I'm certainly going be watching both versions every week.

Terrible episode, visually the decorative colors and art/animation style are pleasing. Characters and story feel a bit meh, worst first episode of shows directed by Watanabe.

Watch in sub.

If that's the only change, then the whole debacle is super minor.

Honey may be a more interesting, relevant character in future episodes, but a line change like that hardly affects the quality of the dub based on the first episode.
If there are more significant changes in the future, yeah, we'll have a problem.
But for now, it's not worth making a fuss over.

No. I expected to see something with a good story. Who knows maybe I'll get my wish but the debut felt like filler.

Most anime don't reveal their full story/plot points in the first episode.

And a pet peeve of mine is when is when people use the word filler for original anime series. Too many use it out of context.

i'm in the dub camp. don't think there's any question that its dialogue is much more clever, though voice wise i think it's kind of a toss-up beyond Meow, who's better in Japanese, and Honey, who's better in English because i found her Japanese voice kind of irritating. but damn, is it a shame we got completely different openings and endings for Toonami.

Soma

Good first episode.

Fun, silly, and lots of energy. Pretty much everything that I expected after watching the previews. The show is gorgeous and the animation is top-tier. I also cannot wait to check out the OST whenever it comes out.

I'm really excited to see what's in store next.

Firemind

More importantly than the nuances of language, the writing was a letdown.

Meow was mistaken for a new alien species and then he suddenly joined the band? What?

I thought they could have stretched this a bit more and give Meow a proper introduction. All I know going by this episode is he's lewd, has no sense of direction, not terribly bright and... pretty much Dandy in cat form. Wonderful.

Ah, come on. Had Bahi not pointed out her future significance, would the difference in dialogue (asteroid belt vs. ass/worm/whatever insulting phrase) really have resonated so differently to you that you'd have seen Honey's character in an entirely different light? Really, it changes almost nothing. It could be argued to be a small misstep, I suppose, but essentially the effect is the same: either way, we know very little about Honey, and that
she's playing a role
is more implied by the setting/her job title than either the English or Japanese versions of her dialogue. I would also say she had a vague charisma in the English version, too, that subtly implied there was something deeper there.

I mean, I can understand why Bahi would feel the way he does. He's very invested in the show, and highly in sync with the narrative. Any slight change in dialogue, tone, etc. being jarring to him is understandable. I'd also say, though, that said investment could easily blind him to the possible merits of why something was changed. In this case, you could say Funimation was playing up
her acting
a little more, to further contrast with the real Honey we see later on, for example.

In the end, though, I'm glad the changes he was referring to were so trivial. So far I've only seen the dub, and I really, really enjoyed it. I can always feel how things change or resonate differently in translation, though, so I'm really looking forward to watching Space Dandy subbed.

Well, as someone who really didn't read up on the cast of characters, I really had no idea she was going to be recurring. I mean, you're probably right, it wouldn't have changed anything much especially if she does appear in future episodes. My previous post was more of a "Oh crap, she was important and the line in the dub didn't give off the right vibe? Well, I'd say that's relevant mistake worth pointing out" kind of thing. Didn't mean to sound overly dramatic or critical.

Jarmel

Banned
More importantly than the nuances of language, the writing was a letdown.

Meow was mistaken for a new alien species and then he suddenly joined the band? What?

I thought they could have stretched this a bit more and give Meow a proper introduction. All I know going by this episode is he's lewd, has no sense of direction, not terribly bright and... pretty much Dandy in cat form. Wonderful.

He's a space cat. What more do you want?

Nerokis

Well, as someone who really didn't read up on the cast of characters, I really had no idea she was going to be recurring. I mean, you're probably right, it wouldn't have changed anything much especially if she does appear in future episodes. My previous post was more of a "Oh crap, she was important and the line in the dub didn't give off the right vibe? Well, I'd say that's relevant mistake worth pointing out" kind of thing. Didn't mean to sound overly dramatic or critical.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Until I read Bahi's post, I had no idea she'd be a recurring character, either. I'd place the blame for that more on the changed opening, though.

FourMyle

What an absolutely amazing episode. This is somehow exceeding my already astronomical expectations. Shinichiro Watanabe saving anime (and later this year Mushishi season 2).

Me and my friend were in tears last night while watching this. Watched it again in Japanese right afterwards. Shinichiro Watanabe = GOD

Your idea of subtlety is strange.

Nimajneb

The first episode wasn't bad. too much focus on Boobies, but as everyone has already said, it picks up in the second half. The show has a lot of promise, I look forward to more wacky adventures every week.

Having seen both the dub and the sub, I have to say Funimation did a much better job translating the dub. Their translation in the subbed version is completely dry and humorless, it sucks a lot of the fun out of the show. I'll be sticking to the dub for now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Those who're looking for a bit more structure out of the plot than what episode 1 gave should be pleased to hear that they're not all crazy and random:

VCQEYbc.png

Damn, I was hoping it was episodic.

Looked and sounded great... can't wait for the bd release. I like the tone and I'm enjoying the characters already. Watched the Eng and Jp versions, do like it in Japanese better but the English version isn't bad.

Branduil

Space Dandy 1(sub)

While the change made to the Honey dialogue that Bahi JD talked about is obviously important, I've got to say that I prefer the dub overall. The Japanese is better as far as voices go, and accuracy to the original script obviously, but the English script has a lot more jokes, and better humor overall, I think.

And the Skull guy looks like LORD HATER NUMBER ONE SUPERSTAR! (Kinda funny because you know they're both wacky space adventure shows)

Totakeke

I like the sub translation better because it's less on the nose especially at the start where the dub mentions breaking the 4th wall and keeping the audience, but I could live with either.

That was exactly what I expected and exactly what I wanted. So dumb, so loud, so big, so energetic, so.......dandy.

I also liked how we watched the end of the series in the first ep so if anything happens, you can't say we didn't get an ending.

B33

Banned
Why in the hell did they make such a different, lame intro for the US broadcast? Very strange decision.

US broadcast had to be trimmed for time allotted to the network's sponsors (it's non-negotiable). This required a "new" opening and ending to be created. It's either that or trim actual content from the episode.

Edit: see below.

US broadcast had to be trimmed for time allotted to the network's sponsors (it's non-negotiable). This required a "new" opening and ending to be created. It's either that or trim actual content from the episode.

Wrong, that is what funi sent Toonami, clearly funi had issues getting the rights to broad cast the songs so they just made their own for the dub broadcast. The fact the subbed version on their website has the op/ed supports this. The people at toonami had no idea what they got wasn't the same op until people messaged them about it, and to be fair the only reason we knew it was changed was due to the episode leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom