• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

The other best bit is when QT prints of that complicated looking script, that turns out to be gibberish.

sd1.jpg

But "I can't read circle!" is my favorite dub line!

Maybe the two are closer than I thought.

Fuck fanservice, self-aware or otherwise. Disappointing that even Shinichiro Watanabe has to go this route.

Look, I think the first half of that episode is as dumb as anyone, but lets not pretend that he's never gone that route before. Champloo is downright lousy with prostitutes and such, and Cowboy Bebop's leading female spends all day baring cleavage in hotpants and stockings.

I can hope that this is the worst of it, but if they're going to pay tribute to Space Adventure Cobra, indulgent male gaze shots of the ladies are pretty much inevitable.

Firemind

The funniest bit during that part was QT not giving any fucks when in power saving mode and introduced the sadistic waitress, so it wasn't completely worthless.

Koppai

Well that was a crazy show...getting my Uverse box replaced on Tuesday so I can finally have sound in HD. <_>

Off topic:
I think I noticed the Penguin from Penguindrum in Sword Art Online in the characters room...was I wrong?

I definitely liked the style but the whole boobs and ass thing had me rolling my eyes...maybe because I'm a gay guy lol. Can anyone post his blog post here...tumblr is blocked at work :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god that was amazing.

So every saturday nights for new eps right?

EDIT: *looks at the old comments*

I swear is this the first show people watched with light "continuity" episodic shows? Are you people going to complain about Tom and Jerry? Or hell, Crayon Shinchan, Tokyo Pig, or Doraemon?

Jarate

Banned
Oh god that was amazing.

So every saturday nights for new eps right?

EDIT: *looks at the old comments*

I swear is this the first show people watched with light "continuity" episodic shows? Are you people going to complain about Tom and Jerry? Or hell, Crayon Shinchan, Tokyo Pig, or Doraemon?

But it needs to have stellar continuity like my shonen animes!

I think the show delivered exactly what it advertised. I also think that some people take this shit way to seriously. It's entertainment, folks.

Boss Doggie

On a related note the way it's set up reminds me of Galaxy Angels.

At least this one has less moe shit.

I don't really see how it targets other anime in any way or the fans...or how it turns that on its head in a mocking way when it simply serves up titillation a few jokes mixed in here and there.

You can still mock and do fanservice you know.

Essay

I don't really see how it targets other anime in any way or the fans...or how it turns that on its head in a mocking way when it simply serves up titillation a few jokes mixed in here and there.
I get what you mean. I want to see a little glimmer of it attempting to do this, but I am going to argue that it is outright failing. So far it seems completely divorced of the anime tradition around it, and caught up instead in its own little world. To work as a satire, you have to actually attract attention to the other works you're parodying....

You can still mock and do fanservice you know.
Yes, Kill La Kill is the perfect example right now of how you can lampoon fan-service by bringing the absurdity of it to new heights, push the limits on every front, and turn the trope on its head.

On the other hand, Space Dandy (so far) is coming off with a tame whimper, "Oh, maybe we should lightly poke fun at the trope so we don't feel guilty in indulging in it to hook the fans who actually crave it." It hasn't done anything to really deconstruct fan-service yet, or really engage other animes at all. It needs more AMBITION, beyond just looking pretty.

i thought that was really fun.

best lines of the episode:
"I can't read circle!" after he gets that printout from the robot

and when the bad guy explains to his master "would sometime next week work for you?" hahaha

The first half of the episode definitely had me worried. The boobies humor was coming off like a really lame 14 year old. (Which I get it has to appeal to the shounen crowd as well.)

But, the second half was amazing, and totally won me over. The fanservice didn't really bother me in Bebop or Champloo, so I'm sure Watanabe will be able to keep it manageable for the most part with Dandy.

We've only seen one episode guys.

Boss Doggie

On the other hand, Space Dandy (so far) is coming off with a tame whimper, "Oh, maybe we should lightly poke fun at the trope so we don't feel guilty in indulging in it to hook the fans who actually crave it." It hasn't done anything to really deconstruct fan-service yet, or really engage other animes at all. It needs more AMBITION, beyond just looking pretty.

...you don't need to deconstruct to mock something

Space Dandy isn't even about deconstruction (ugh...).

Those that have been anointed the future of anime have been a disappointment. Oh well, we still have The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays.

Poyunch

I don't mind the fanservice, at least it's tongue-in-cheek as opposed to Kill la Kill which tries to justify it with its narrative. It's way more distracting when they try to pass it off as more than it actually is.

Branduil

Fuck fanservice, self-aware or otherwise. Disappointing that even Shinichiro Watanabe has to go this route.

I don't think that's new for Watanabe, just look at how Faye dressed, and she wasn't even getting paid for it.

Next episode will probably have a lot less of that since they're going to a ramen shop instead.

Jarate

Banned
I think one of the issues is that people were expecting a badass dude going on a quirky space adventure, and what they got was a comedy which is based off old sci fi.

Dandy is quite possibly one of the most incompetent people in anime, and that may irk some.

This is practically a scifi Seinfeld, (although not nearly as good) with horrible people doing horrible things.

Tuck

I liked it. Some jokes fell flat, and I wasn't fond of the narrator, nor the jokes that broke the fourth wall (Seemed forced).

The action sequence at the end was batshit insane and I loved every minute of it.

I think the show delivered exactly what it advertised. I also think that some people take this shit way to seriously. It's entertainment, folks.

Yeah, don't know what people expected when the first trailer ever released of the show dedicated a few seconds to close-ups of jiggling breasts. It's certainly not new territory for Watanabe.

If people are jumping on Space Dandy for going overboard with fanservice, they better not find out about what most ecchi shows are like, lest their innocent eyes and minds be tainted forever.

Firemind

I have zero issues with Dandy as a character. I have issues with the lack of structure, half-assed writing and haphazard transitions.

The OP is nice though.

When the extent of the jokes consists of 'breastaurant', alien breasts, Dandy is lewd, Meow takes crotch shots, alien orgasms and a sticker that reads 'I love breasts', I question the validity of your claim and the setting being used to deliver the funny. It sure as hell didn't develop the characters in any meaningful way, as Meow joins the crew right after his capture because why the fuck not?

once the setting was established, the focus rather clearly shifted to a Star Wars cantina-esque "look at all these aliens!" and then humor about how QT is outdated. this, as well as the action scene, make up the majority of their visit. there's a general lack of creative camera angles or lingering close-ups, it's all character-related moments or background stuff; i don't even watch much anime and i recognize how incredibly tame this was, particularly for its setting. in what way did it not help develop the characters? Dandy was shown to be rather easily-distracted and laughably incompetent, QT was the brains of the operation and the voice of reason, and i somewhat agree on Meow though it also establishes the guy's a perv.

Essay

...you don't need to deconstruct to mock something

Space Dandy isn't even about deconstruction (ugh...).

Perhaps it's just what I was used to looking for as a Watanabe fan. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo showed a particular attention to deconstructive techniques in bringing attention to interesting cultural/generational artifacts, so my expectations coming into Space Dandy was for more of the same, but with parody in mind. I'll stick with watching for at least a few more episodes, because it could turn itself around, but it hasn't seemed very successful in its satire to me so far (and I already mentioned how the music and visual design hasn't captivated me the way that his other work has... yet.)

I don't mind the fanservice, at least it's tongue-in-cheek as opposed to Kill la Kill which tries to justify it with its narrative. It's way more distracting when they try to pass it off as more than it actually is.
I wouldn't argue that Kill La Kill is just trying to justify its excesses, so much as its trying to get viewers to think critically about them, but, yes, it's definitely doesn't just settle for a basic tongue-in-cheek approach. Instead, it takes the excessively-hammer-it-home-until-it-looks-so-absurd-that-no-one-in-their-right-mind-should-be-able-to-take-what-it's-doing-seriously-leading-viewers-to-think-long-and-hard-about-how-empty-fan-service-in-anime-is-in-general approach. :D

Jarmel

Banned
Instead, it takes the excessively-hammer-it-home-until-it-looks-so-absurd-that-no-one-in-their-right-mind-should-be-able-to-take-what-it's-doing-seriously-leading-viewers-to-think-long-and-hard-about-how-empty-fan-service-in-anime-is-in-general approach. :D

No, it doesn't. KLK is just Imaishi screwing around, just like he did in P&SwG. That's like someone saying there is some deep lesson about sex and violence in Dead Leaves when it's just his style to go over the top in everything.

The fanservice in KLK isn't some subversive thing commenting on the state of anime but Imaishi reveling in it.

I think one of the issues is that people were expecting a badass dude going on a quirky space adventure, and what they got was a comedy which is based off old sci fi.

Dandy is quite possibly one of the most incompetent people in anime, and that may irk some.

This is practically a scifi Seinfeld, (although not nearly as good) with horrible people doing horrible things.
It might be a bit unfair to compare them that quickly when Seinfeld had a chance to run it's course and SD is only on it's first episode.

I tell you now, though. If this show has a "breathtaking" baby alien episode it will be the best thing ever.

desertdroog

When on the planet and the cat alien poked one of the more larger aliens, stating that they were chill, I lost it when Space Dandy said they were not chill at all. Then the nonsense started to go full bore.

I giggled and laughed throughout that entire sequence. It was just silly fun, I hope there is more to come.

Loved it. Good introduction to the characters, great music and animation and really funny at times.

I see this problem of "expectations" from a series across multiple OT threads on GAF. People seem hung up on what they expect from a show or game and what they want it to be exactly, instead of enjoying it for what it is.

Firemind

once the setting was established, the focus rather clearly shifted to a Star Wars cantina-esque "look at all these aliens!" and then humor about how QT is outdated. this, as well as the action scene, make up the majority of their visit. there's a general lack of creative camera angles or lingering close-ups, it's all character-related moments or background stuff; i don't even watch much anime and i recognize how incredibly tame this was, particularly for its setting. in what way did it not help develop the characters? Dandy was shown to be rather easily-distracted and laughably incompetent, QT was the brains of the operation and the voice of reason, and i somewhat agree on Meow though it also establishes the guy's a perv.

They already established the characterisations of Dandy and QT in the previous scene. The point of the next scene in the restaurant is primarily to introduce Meow. The execution fell flat, because the writers failed to establish Meow as a character. Yes, he's a perv, and what? We never get to know him, which is why I said earlier that they should have spent more time on the scene or introduce him in a later episode. Honestly, what did Meow do after that? Point the crew to a planet with undiscovered aliens? Couldn't any minor character have done that? The action scene would have worked with or witbout him.

It felt more like half a Panty & Stockings episode, which is probably why I'm meh on the writing so far.

They already established the characterisations of Dandy and QT in the previous scene. The point of the next scene in the restaurant is primarily to introduce Meow. The execution fell flat, because the writers failed to establish Meow as a character. Yes, he's a perv, and what? We never get to know him, which is why I said earlier that they should have spent more time on the scene or introduce him in a later episode. Honestly, what did Meow do after that? Point the crew to a planet with undiscovered aliens? Couldn't any minor character have done that? The action scene would have worked with or witbout him.

It felt more like half a Panty & Stockings episode, which is probably why I'm meh on the writing so far.

it reinforced those aspects of the characters and showed how they interact in a different setting, "on the job." i also don't think it's terribly necessary for them to fully develop Meow in half an episode.

Essay

The fanservice in KLK isn't some subversive thing commenting on the state of anime but Imaishi reveling in it.

I'm curious how you come to the conclusion that Imaishi is only "reveling" in it. Reveling has a very mindless connotation, and I see it working on too many levels for that to be the case. Even if he has done it before, this is a new project, and I feel like the potential is all right there in the iteration itself (so far... it is still in process, of course) to lead enough viewers to the same interpretation that I highlighted.

jediyoshi

When the extent of the jokes consists of 'breastaurant', alien breasts, Dandy is lewd, Meow takes crotch shots, alien orgasms and a sticker that reads 'I love breasts', I question the validity of your claim and the setting being used to deliver the funny.

This is the most elaborate sentence I've ever read describing how someone didn't find something funny.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious how you come to the conclusion that Imaishi is only "reveling" in it. Reveling has a very mindless connotation, and I see it working on too many levels for that to be the case. Even if he has done it before, this is a new project, and I feel like the potential is all right there in the iteration itself (so far... it is still in process, of course) to lead viewers to the same interpretation that I highlighted.

Yes the fanservice is tied to the narration but that's it, it's certainly not critical to the narrative. The closest the show has come to having anything meaningful to say about the fanservice was with Satsuki saying a few lines all the way back in episode 3. I don't know where you got the impression that it's supposed to be subversive of fanservice in general. Ryuuko showing her tits or ass off while being spanked isn't getting any sort of deep point across. This came from Tattun, someone working on the show and sending out the weekly newspaper for the company:
The hips! The curves! What more has to be said, seriously? Just the right amount of meat on her body, can't make a single complaint here, A5 rank meat for sure (laughs). And, wow I got derailed fast here... I made a promise with myself to take things a bit serious this week, but I guess that's not happening.

Firemind

it reinforced those aspects of the characters and showed how they interact in a different setting, "on the job." i also don't think it's terribly necessary for them to fully develop Meow in half an episode.

So don't introduce him in that scene. Have some other wacky, throwaway alien in a room full of wacky aliens do that. You'd still get the point across with the other two main characters and develop the show's setting. Meow deserves more than this.

So don't introduce him in that scene. Have some other wacky, throwaway alien in a room full of wacky aliens do that. You'd still get the point across with the other two main characters and develop the show's setting. Meow deserves more than this.

why is it such a problem that they introduce him in one episode and give you a better idea of his character traits in another? it happens all the time. this really is not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

Firemind

Throw us a bone at least. Bounty hunter, royalty, hyperintelligence, fondness of vintage television shows, anything besides horniness.

Essay

Yes the fanservice is tied to the narration but that's it, it's certainly not critical to the narrative. The closest the show has come to having anything meaningful to say about the fanservice was with Satsuki saying a few lines all the way back in episode 3. I don't know where you got the impression that it's supposed to be subversive of fanservice in general. Ryuuko showing her tits or ass off while being spanked isn't getting any sort of deep point across. This came from Tattun, someone working on the show and sending out the weekly newspaper for the company:

Why does it have to "tell" us something about fan-service? I argue it "shows" us the absurdities of fan-service by uncomfortable example. It's the same general framework through which Don Quixote shows how ridiculous it would be to live like a character from a medieval romance novel, instead of just launching into a diatribe on the issue.

Otherwise, there's a game behind marketing art in this day and age, and that quote from the newsletter seems to just be working to that end. Anyway, can the significance of a work really come straight out of the conscious intentions of its creator (let alone a single individual on the team contributing to it) with no respect for the nuance of what the work actually does for its audience? Why even focus on that when there's a whole work to be picked apart?

(Before this gets any more off-topic) More than anything, I'm just hoping Space Dandy does something to really catch my attention. It doesn't have to catch it in the same way that KLK did for the reasons I highlighted, but I'm way too picky to stick with a show for average jokes and sort-of-polished aesthetics alone.

Meow is my favorite character so far, sure his reason for tagging along with the dandy crew could be better explained but I don't need it to enjoy him.

What the hell does this even mean?

There's only been one episode, we have no idea where this is going in the long run and you don't appear to have worked on the show. Who's to say what scenes a character deserves to be in?

Expectations appear to have been set to WAY TOO HIGH for many of you. It's just the first episode, give it a few to establish the characters.

What the hell does this even mean?

There's only been one episode, we have no idea where this is going in the long run and you don't appear to have worked on the show. Who's to say what scenes a character deserves to be in?

Expectations appear to have been set to WAY TOO HIGH for many of you. It's just the first episode, give it a few to establish the characters.

Not to mention Cowboy Bebop told us almost nothing about the characters, who they are, and what they're about, till almost the end of the series. Till then, it was just a fun and crazy ride.

I don't get why people expected so much exposition from just the very first episode of Dandy. Who knows what it could all be leading up to down the line. For now, it's a fun romp.

Essay

Expectations appear to have been set to WAY TOO HIGH for many of you.

Guilty, but this is what happens when Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo so utterly blew my mind in their day and age. Thankfully, expectations are now on the fall, so episode 2 will maybe have a chance to catch me off-guard. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom