• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

My problem with this season is shaping up to be similar to last season; they're under selling Spartacus himself, or at the least their own version of the character. At the end of season 1, dude was a juggernaut compared to everyone else. In season two he smacked the Egyptian without much trouble, at least. But this season has been all Crassus, Caesar, Crixus and Naevia taking all the screen time.
I mean, he won those battles. He loses this one.

My problem with this season is shaping up to be similar to last season; they're under selling Spartacus himself, or at the least their own version of the character. At the end of season 1, dude was a juggernaut compared to everyone else. In season two he smacked the Egyptian without much trouble, at least. But this season has been all Crassus, Caesar, Crixus and Naevia taking all the screen time.

Him smacking down the Egyptian will little trouble was supposed to highlight how skilled he's become as a fighter. Let's not forget that he was already a formidable fighter before he was taken captive and we've never really seen him go all out since becoming a skilled gladiator, so I liked that they used the Egyptian as a 'mark' to show how fierce and skilled a fighter he's become.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ugh, I want Gannicus to stay around until the end. But yeah, you're probably right. It's gotta be Crixus, Agron+Nasir, or Gannicus. None of the other characters dying would really provoke such a powerful response from the audience like what Ryan McGee describes.

I'm really excited to see what goes down.

I have a feeling it's going to be Agron... at least I hope so lol, rather him than Gannicus.

REV 09

They seem to be deviating from history with Crixus. Good stuff though...another great episode. It's interesting having people you like on both sides.

Mxrz

Well, Crixus is back in the bro-fold. Naevia trying to apologize was a step up too.

Its going to be annoying if nothing bad happens to Caesar or Crassus. Of all the characters on the show, if its these two that walk in at the end and come away unscathed, it'll be a bit annoying. So far both have been presented as a bit too flawless. And having yet another Crassus-Kore boning scene was a waste of screen time.

Tiberius is interesting, if not sympathetic now. I can root for him wanting to take Crassus down a few pegs, but maybe not like that. If nothing else he certainly fits in with the rest of the show, unlike the other Romans.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The last 15 minutes or so was some of the most blood pumping shit the show has ever done. Best fight scene since season 1. Everyone was at the top of their game; it was almost like ballet. Blood Ballet. omggggg And no good guy died! What!

Saxa screaming/growling "Roomaaaansssss!!!" and then twirling around and stabbing guys 1000 miles a minute was Amahzzzzzing. I fucking love her. She's like a crazy wildcat or something. Agron was also really cool tonight, especially when he jumped onto the rope and rode it down just in time to fight Caesar. *swoon*

Crixus is Spartacus' brother again (need a gif of their epic arm clasp asap) and Naevia even apologized to Gannicus! There's hope for them yet!

I can't believe Tiberius raped his father's slave/lady friend! (I mean, it makes sense, given his wrecked state, but you know what I mean) Damn, they've taken him into some dark territory. I wonder how Crassus will react?

I can't help but admire Caesar, despite him being the villain. Dodging attacks left and right (and up and down) while tossing jars of pitch onto the gate and then lighting it on fire. And that ending! OMG :O Is it next week yet?

That was an awesome episode.

These last couple of episodes have finally picked up the season for me. It's been rather blah until now. Liked Caesar since his first appearance, and continue to like him. Though, I was expecting him to be much more skilled as a fighter than they portrayed him in the final scene. I was expecting an epic fight with Gannicus the way they set that up a couple episodes ago. But dude couldn't even handle Agron, who never came across as one of the elite Gladiators.

Things happened a little too quickly at the end for me. The ambush at the shore occurred seemingly out of nowhere, like an entire portion of the episode was accidentally deleted. And Caesar must have teleportation powers, because one moment he's killing Nemetes and his lackeys in the city. The next moment, he's jumping out of the shadows and stabbing Spartacus in the shoulder(which was such a disappointingly amateurish attempt at assassination, after the badass character Caesar was thus far built-up to be). Then, he's all of a sudden back in the city, fighting Agron and crew. It just seemed like they wanted all of that to happen within one episode, and forcefully squeezed it into the allotted time.

It's kind of crazy we're only halfway through the season, and it looks like Spartacus is already facing certain doom. The city was breached and there's a Roman armada approaching the shore. How the hell are they going to hold out for 5 more episodes, without resorting to Dragon Ball Z stalling?

Also, I've finally come to accept and like Liam as Spartacus this season. I didn't like him at all, all of last season. Not sure what it is in particular, but he's been really likeable this season.

Definitely more excited in the rest of the season than I was after the first few episodes, but I still have my doubts that it can exceed Season 1 and Gods of the Arena for me. Batiatus was just too damn good.

Gibbo

Like how they are deviating from the historical events (or what supposedly happened). The last 20 minutes were magnificent; although I think they are overusing slo-mo this season imo.

Enosh

I have no idea why anyone should be scared of the romans, they didn't kill a single person in that ambush

Zabka

Great episode. This killed me:

im3evA0GpLYq.gif

Inversive

I have no idea why anyone should be scared of the romans, they didn't kill a single person in that ambush

Its a little jarring tbh. I get that they are fighting gladiators but come on... they had a vast number advantage and only killed like one dude.

I'm in love with Saxa, we need a gif of the bit were she stabs the Roman super fast, it was glorious.

Joni

They seem to be deviating from history with Crixus. Good stuff though...another great episode. It's interesting having people you like on both sides.
Nope, this plan is actually one of two possible reasons given for Crixus' deflection in the actual war. Awesome that they chose this route.

A magnificent episode. The last twenty were simply majestic. The brutality of it all, the slow motion capturing the most signifcant of blows, blood splattering everywhere (a nice reference to the start of the episode), Spartacus outclassed by Crassus, Tiberius's actions, it was just magnificent.

One complaint though, she yet lives. Rather annoying, hope to see that corrected soon.

JerkShep

Amazing episode. They're running out of secondary characters to kill though, we shall see a lot of big deaths in the next episodes I suppose. I actually expected Agron's death at the end of this ep, I guess he still lives. For now.

I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left. The spin-off has to happen.

Inversive

Amazing episode. They're running out of secondary characters to kill though, we shall see a lot of big deaths in the next episodes I suppose. I actually expected Agron's death at the end of this ep, I guess he still lives. For now.

Notsaxanotsaxanotsaxa

but yeah, lots of death on the way as can be expected from this show :p I expect Agron's boyfriend (can't recall the name) to get killed before him though.

If they kill Saxa or Gannicus I'm gonna flip my shit. I don't give a fuck whatever happens to the other rebel scum but these two I want to see ride off into the sunset towards the land of drunken threesomes.

Slave girl kills Saxa, offers herself to Gannicus, he has his way with her, stumbles out of bed drunk, heads towards the door but not before grabbing a jug of wine and walks off into the sunset singing 'my cock rages on'.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I was surprised when Agron lived at the end. Expected him to die the moment they had him fight Caesar.

Zzoram

Gannicus and Saxa are too cool to die, or at least I hope so.

Sybil will probably die in a way that makes Gannicus take leadership since Spartacus has been pushing for that all season.

Dysun

This episode reminded me of last years burning down the arena episode, it was the highlight of the season so far. Really kept me at the edge of my seat wondering what was gonna happen next. Caesar is a boss and I like how they brought Crixus back into the fold. That was well done

bidguy

Banned
It sucks that we already know how this will end ...
Any chance that they actually dont follow history and make up their own ending ?

Correct me if im wrong but i read somewhere that the real life Spartacus was never found (dead or alive), is that true ?

Inversive

It sucks that we already know how this will end ...
Any chance that they actually dont follow history and make up their own ending ?

Correct me if im wrong but i read somewhere that the real life Spartacus was never found (dead or alive), is that true ?

True.

Raiden

Banned
The sudden bromance between Spartacus and Crixus make me fear for his life in the upcoming episodes.

I sense this shit too well my friends.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Liked Caesar since his first appearance, and continue to like him. Though, I was expecting him to be much more skilled as a fighter than they portrayed him in the final scene. I was expecting an epic fight with Gannicus the way they set that up a couple episodes ago. But dude couldn't even handle Agron, who never came across as one of the elite Gladiators.

Really? I thought they portrayed Caesar as a little too skilled a fighter. He was fighting Agron and the bearded German guy at the same time and was only knocked down at the very end.

Also, I've finally come to accept and like Liam as Spartacus this season. I didn't like him at all, all of last season. Not sure what it is in particular, but he's been really likeable this season.

I didn't really like him in season 2, but I'm liking him a lot this season. He's really come into his own.

This killed me:

im3evA0GpLYq.gif

Oh hell yes!

Kyon

Banned
YASSSSSSSSSSS

I THOUGHT ANOTHER GAY WAS GONNA DIE LIKE EVERY OTHER SHOW EVER BUT AGRON HAS STAYED ALIVE SINCE SEASON 1.

#Crie

Hopefully Agron is there till the end. I can't with all gay characters dying.

Also OMG I though Tiberius was gay? When he smashed the slave chick lawd have mercy.

WHY DIDNT THAT CUNT NAEVIA JUST DIE? -_____-

Raiden

Banned
YASSSSSSSSSSS

I THOUGHT ANOTHER GAY WAS GONNA DIE LIKE EVERY OTHER SHOW EVER BUT AGRON HAS STAYED ALIVE SINCE SEASON 1.

#Crie

Hopefully Agron is there till the end. I can't with all gay characters dying.

Also OMG I though Tiberius was gay? When he smashed the slave chick lawd have mercy.

WHY DIDNT THAT CUNT NAEVIA JUST DIE? -_____-

She was actually tolerable for the first time since the recast in this episode. Also Crassus his slave/mistress is incredibly cute. Too bad she has a missing tooth.

Kyon

Banned
She was actually tolerable for the first time since the recast in this episode. Also Crassus his slave/mistress is incredibly cute. Too bad she has a missing tooth.

Ok this is true she was bearable. Also... Where @_____@ I never saw a missing tooth

Raiden

Banned
I cant say i'm 100% sure, but there was this shot when she was smiling and i thought she had a missing tooth on the sides.

I could be drunk and blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom