• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOCK

Looks like Tiberius wont get a love scene with his buddy afterall!

That was just sad overall. I also got the impression from Crassus that he had some sympathy for his son after it was all over, or Pride?

Great episode, and with the next episode being the 5th, I expect this is the turning point for Crixus. I also wonder if Spartacus is going to die or disappear. Either way I expect this should happen by the 9th episode, with the 10th focusing on those trying to escape and the rise of Crassus and Ceasar in the senate.

That was a really good episode. The decimation scene was great, especially with the tension between Tiberius and Crassus. I thought that I would not like Ceasar as a spy but, I was wrong.

I am also on team "Fuck Naevia, I hope she dies soon."

I am also on team "Fuck Naevia, I hope she dies soon."

Yeah, dude. Ever since Crixus taught her how to fight, she's been a little too bloodthirsty. I know she a got a raw deal for a while, but come on. Maybe she should have gotten into that fistfight with Gannicus instead of Crixus fighting her battles for her.

Shadow780

Oh god, I can't wait til the bitch and her hubby leaves. Caesar is one smug asshole lol, love him already.

The stalker slave girl's so damn cute :D nvm, found it Gwendolin Taylor

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That was just sad overall. I also got the impression from Crassus that he had some sympathy for his son after it was all over, or Pride?

Great episode, and with the next episode being the 5th, I expect this is the turning point for Crixus. I also wonder if Spartacus is going to die or disappear. Either way I expect this should happen by the 9th episode, with the 10th focusing on those trying to escape and the rise of Crassus and Ceasar in the senate.

I doubt he will die until the middle/end of the last episode. The show is Spartacus after all... maybe they'll have a small roman triumph at the end, but leave that shit for the Caesar spinoff and give us an epic sendoff for Sparty.

I doubt he will die until the middle/end of the last episode. The show is Spartacus after all... maybe they'll have a small roman triumph at the end, but leave that shit for the Caesar spinoff and give us an epic sendoff for Sparty.

Well they never did find his body....thats how they might play it

kirblar

Would love to get a production answer on whether or not the Tiberius bromance was intended to have been interpreted the way a lot of us did.

Taruranto

I'm enjoying this season much more than the second one, which i only liked because of The Game Of Rome between Lucretia and Ilithyia, Spartacus camp was pretty meh and ultimately forgettable.

While some characters in Spartacusland still are pretty meh now (Naevia still awful, Nasir sounds like a broken record) Spartacus character has much better and interesting things to work with.

Munin

Would love to get a production answer on whether or not the Tiberius bromance was intended to have been interpreted the way a lot of us did.

You didn't really have a concept of "homosexuality" and "heterosexuality" in Ancient Greece and Rome. Men having relations with other men, or women, or all at the same time, this was all completely normal. So basically it wouldn't have been a big deal either way.

hamchan

Great episode and the first one of this season.

Caesar shoots up to the top of my list of awesome characters. He and Gannicus are the best characters in this show. They really are prepping that Caesar spin-off by making him so likable. Need to add that Todd Lasance freaking nailed his acting for Caesar this ep too. He displayed Caesar's arrogance well like previous eps but that emotional scene with Fabia really showed the range he has and adds much more depth to the character.

Also Naevia really is terrible. I hated her so much for killing Ashur and now I hate her so much for just being a bitch. I think the show creators know that which is why they teased us with Caesar looking to kill her but in the end didn't. :(

Man, this episode was so brutal, physically and emotionally. I knew the schism had to happen pretty soon, but it was still really hard to watch.

This season has been amazing so far, but I can tell it's just going to keep piling on the despair. Sabinus... you were so secretly hot. ;_;

Please announce the Caesar spin-off now Starz.

You didn't really have a concept of "homosexuality" and "heterosexuality" in Ancient Greece and Rome. Men having relations with other men, or women, or all at the same time, this was all completely normal. So basically it wouldn't have been a big deal either way.

Well, it was a bit more complicated than that. First, you should never be the receiver in a sexual relationship between men, because that makes you the feminine one (see Agron and his boyfriend). And that is bad because Rome was completely obsessed with the concept of manliness. They even went so far as proclaiming that no one is born a man, you had to constantly reaffirm you are one.

Second, a sexual relationship between men of good standing, as both Tiberius and his friend probably were, was frowned upon. You had sex with men of lower class or male slaves, not with equals. This due to the whole one of the two has to be the feminine one.

Sexuality in Rome was a hugely complicated mess and people build entire academic careers on studying it.

still enjoying this show as usual. fuck naevia though. what has she done to crixus :(

warming up to caesar. like him a lot now. he'll never be as dope as Rome's ciarin hinds though but this interpretation is cool.

xenist

Second, a sexual relationship between men of good standing, as both Tiberius and his friend probably were, was frowned upon. You had sex with men of lower class or male slaves, not with equals. This due to the whole one of the two has to be the feminine one.

Not if you were both married and had children. And the problem, at least in ancient Greece was with outward femininity. As long as you weren't acting like a woman pretty much no one gave a fuck. The Greeks had a derogatory word but it wasn't for homosexuals at large. The word was "κίναιδος" and it literally means "one who moves in a shameful way." It wasn't a sexually liberal viewpoint. It wasn't coming from an enlightened place. Just these concepts of sexuality were given to the West by the Abrahamic religions.

Fight for your city. Provide children for your city. Be moral. Other than that fuck whoever you want.

Monocle

As much as I think Naevia owns her role, we've reached the point where I can agree she's an annoyance. Every action she takes is blatantly misguided and ends up having horrible consequences for the people who surround her. She's become as nasty and brutish as any ordinary Roman foot soldier, and that's boring.

The gore in this season is sort of distasteful to me, which is strange because I never really had a problem with it before. I feel like the show is trying to top itself with the gross factor.

Man, this episode was so brutal, physically and emotionally. I knew the schism had to happen pretty soon, but it was still really hard to watch.

This season has been amazing so far, but I can tell it's just going to keep piling on the despair. Sabinus... you were so secretly hot. ;_;

Please announce the Caesar spin-off now Starz.
Haha, that surprised me too. I think Sabinus was underused. Shame he had to die in a plot twist you could see coming from miles away. In retrospect his character seems utilitarian, just a plot device to add momentum to Tiberius's story. I expect more subtlety from Spartacus's writers than that.

On a brighter note, Caesar is indeed a badass. This episode redeemed the character for me.

Big-E

Great episode. The decimation scenes is one of the most powerful scenes produced for TV I think. Purely brutal and sadly probably accurate to reality.

Not if you were both married and had children. And the problem, at least in ancient Greece was with outward femininity. As long as you weren't acting like a woman pretty much no one gave a fuck. The Greeks had a derogatory word but it wasn't for homosexuals at large. The word was "κίναιδος" and it literally means "one who moves in a shameful way." It wasn't a sexually liberal viewpoint. It wasn't coming from an enlightened place. Just these concepts of sexuality were given to the West by the Abrahamic religions.

Fight for your city. Provide children for your city. Be moral. Other than that fuck whoever you want.

Im at work so i have to base myself on Wikipedia now, but the point is more fully made in Craig Williams excellent book about Roman homosexuality:

'Both women and young men were considered normal objects of desire, but outside marriage a man was supposed to act on his desires only with slaves, prostitutes (who were often slaves), and the infames. Gender did not determine whether a sexual partner was acceptable, as long as a man's enjoyment did not encroach on another's man integrity. It was immoral to have sex with another freeborn man's wife, his marriageable daughter, his underage son, or with the man himself; sexual use of another man's slave was subject to the owner's permission'.

Greece may be a different beast, but it would be wrong to consider them the same.

Nameless

Loving the season so far. It really is reminding me of Blood and Sand/Gods of the Arena where the line between good guys and bad guys was opaque if present at all. Cesar is steadily climbing the ranks as one of my favorite characters. He used his Roman cunning and experience leading/inspiring men masterfully to sow descent.

And blood thristy Crixus is the best Crixus. He spent too much of last season moping about Neavia then babysitting Naevia. Glad they've managed to reignite his character even though it sets him at odds against Spartacus. But I guess their was always going to end one way.

Haha, that surprised me too. I think Sabinus was underused. Shame he had to die in a plot twist you could see coming from miles away. In retrospect his character seems utilitarian, just a plot device to add momentum to Tiberius's story. I expect more subtlety from Spartacus's writers than that.

On a brighter note, Caesar is indeed a badass. This episode redeemed the character for me.
Yeah, I definitely could of gone for more Sabinus. Even though he didn't last long, I think he did a good job of adding to Tiberius' arc. (Though I would of much rather they switched places.)

giga

Naevia being totally shit is further highlighted by the fact that Saxa is so fucking cool.
Crossing my fingers that she ends Naevia. Gannacus + Saxa >>> Crixus + Naevia

Remember the previous episode when she offered the slave girl?

tumblr_mbb0gwj2sl1qza3e8o1_500.gif

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah Saxa is awesome, hope she lasts till the end. Knowing the showrunners though, Naevia will kill Saxa next episode xD.

Feature

Banned
Is it me or was Ganacus a bit fat in the first episode of this season? Also yes, that german chick if super hot dayum.

Is it me or was Ganacus a bit fat in the first episode of this season? Also yes, that german chick if super hot dayum.
I don't think I'd say fat, but definitely husky when compared to the others. That may have been intentional though due to his vices.

I have friends that drink as much as he does, it's hard not to put weight on when you live like that so my guess is it's intentional. I wouldn't exactly call him fat either, fat is more like the one Roman dude who got his hand chopped off while reaching for the bread.

giga

Naevia dying wouldn't make any of us sad. It'll probably be Gannacus or the other likable characters.

Mxrz

My problem with this season is shaping up to be similar to last season; they're under selling Spartacus himself, or at the least their own version of the character. At the end of season 1, dude was a juggernaut compared to everyone else. In season two he smacked the Egyptian without much trouble, at least. But this season has been all Crassus, Caesar, Crixus and Naevia taking all the screen time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Naevia dying wouldn't make any of us sad. It'll probably be Gannacus or the other likable characters.

Ugh, I want Gannicus to stay around until the end. But yeah, you're probably right. It's gotta be Crixus, Agron+Nasir, or Gannicus. None of the other characters dying would really provoke such a powerful response from the audience like what Ryan McGee describes.

I'm really excited to see what goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom