• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And yeah, kinda shitty what they are doing to some characters like Naevia and other slaves just to make the romans more appealing for the sake of the spin-off.

I don't buy the theory that the writers are trying to make the slave characters seem unlikable just so we'll root for the Romans - which in turn is supposed to make us want a Caesar spin off. That's ridiculous.

JDSN

Banned
I don't buy the theory that the writers are trying to make the slave characters seem unlikable just so we'll root for the Romans - which in turn is supposed to make us want a Caesar spin off. That's ridiculous.

I sorry for stating it as it was a fact, I'm liking that they are exploring this issues and if they go with the historical route it will only go worst from there, there have been some hints that they will explore the darker side of the slaves with unstablished characters like Saxa and the bearded guy, Crixus obviously crossed the line when he killed his unborn kill on the first season, but I don't like that they explore it with a character that already had an arc that involved becoming a new person and come to terms with her past, but nope turns out she hasn't.

xenist

Interesting. Know any good books that focus on young Caesar?

Don't go off the deep end with so specialized history books at once. They tend not to be to fun to read.

This is what you do. Find Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. Download the Death Throes Of The Republic. It's a series of podcasts about the last generations of Rome being a Republic and becoming an Empire. It's set around the time the slave revolt happened. Of course Crassus and Caesar (and Pompei who I'm guessing will show up in the show too) are central figures. See if this satisfies you enough. If not, he references a ton of history books and sources.

I'm ok with Naevia turning into an out and out villain.

Her character irrevocably changed when she returned to us from the mines for the worse. At least the showrunners are now acknowledging the fact that most of the show's fans don't like her anymore anyway.

MG310

This episode actually made me like Tiberius, he showed kindness to the soldier to the roman soldier and was visibly upset when Caesar killed him, he also assesed the possibility of the alliance quickly although the plan went sideways due not assuming the pirates had siege weapons.

I was okay with Tiberius - more talking about them showing this tiny group of guys marching down the huge hill and everyone pretending like there was a huge army.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Don't go off the deep end with so specialized history books at once. They tend not to be to fun to read.

This is what you do. Find Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. Download the Death Throes Of The Republic. It's a series of podcasts about the last generations of Rome being a Republic and becoming an Empire. It's set around the time the slave revolt happened. Of course Crassus and Caesar (and Pompei who I'm guessing will show up in the show too) are central figures. See if this satisfies you enough. If not, he references a ton of history books and sources.

Sweet, I'll be sure to check that out.

Tokubetsu

I sorry for stating it as it was a fact, I'm liking that they are exploring this issues and if they go with the historical route it will only go worst from there, there have been some hints that they will explore the darker side of the slaves with unstablished characters like Saxa and the bearded guy, Crixus obviously crossed the line when he killed his unborn kill on the first season, but I don't like that they explore it with a character that already had an arc that involved becoming a new person and come to terms with her past, but nope turns out she hasn't.

Well to be fair it's kinda hard to just accept and move past being locked in a mine and repeated (daily?) rape.

RyanDG

Interesting. Know any good books that focus on young Caesar?

It's completely ahistorical in a lot of ways, but considering that Spartacus the TV show is as well, that shouldn't make a lot of difference... But I actually enjoyed the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden for historical fiction fluff. It even has Spartacus's revolt in the series.

Mxrz

Am I the only one that assumed that Saxa was forcing the girl?

I didn't get the vibe that she was being forced, more sort of led to it. Saxa, so far, hasn't done much to make her look all that morally questionable. She's just wild, direct, and goes after what she wants. There will probably some some sort of conflict between them later on.

It's always been a surprise how good the overall acting is on this show. Even the minor players are good. Makes for a noticeable change when you flip back over to Thrones.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's completely ahistorical in a lot of ways, but considering that Spartacus the TV show is as well, that shouldn't make a lot of difference... But I actually enjoyed the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden for historical fiction fluff. It even has Spartacus's revolt in the series.

Cool I'll try to check that out too!

Naevia reminds me of Rihanna for some reason.

Historically
Crixus leaves, so maybe that's why they're making him and Naevia unlikable. Get them exiled.

xenist

Historically
Crixus leaves, so maybe that's why they're making him and Naevia unlikable. Get them exiled.

Yeah,
that's a lot of foreshadowing they're doing. I'm guessing Crixus and the Gauls separating from the main army and getting butchered by Crassus is gonna be the transition to the third act of the season arc.

Raiden

Banned
Latest episode was good but the weakest so far. Also fuck Naevia she always gives the weakest performances. I laughed when she bashed the blacksmith his head in. No special effects could hide the weak ass slams she gave with that hammer.

It was like watching my 9 year old niece hitting something with a stick.

Just found this thread. I've been a fan of this show since release. My thoughts on season four so far:

• It started out really well.
  • I'm not comfortable with the direction it appears to be going now.
  • I also do not like how it feels like I am trying to be turned against the slave army.
  • Naevia WTF?? She feels like a wounded, rabid dog to me. It needs put down for the safety of others and to put it out of it's own misery.

I'm interested to see where it goes though. Spartacus is by far my favorite show so I'm hoping for a killer ending.

Inversive

These are a really enjoyable read, they chronicle his life from youngling to death in 4 (?) books i think. Can't be bothered to go check :p

xenist

Showing that the slaves were not some sort of angels is one of the better developments of this season. In reality they had no problem with raping, pillaging and killing. And the revolt was more along the lines of "I want to go home" rather than "Slavery is evil." A lot of them, had they not been defeated by the Romans would happily own slaves of their own.

Showing that the slaves were not some sort of angels is one of the better developments of this season. In reality they had no problem with raping, pillaging and killing. And the revolt was more along the lines of "I want to go home" rather than "Slavery is evil." A lot of them, had they not been defeated by the Romans would happily own slaves of their own.

It is in a way and it isn't in a way for me. It's a truth about the matter so it should be shown. Where I don't like it is that if the slaves are no better than the Romans, which appears to be the case, then it makes my desire of seeing a side win diminish greatly. From an entertainment perspective it makes everything seem less important to me.

Is it just me or was Agron a much more interesting character when his brother was alive in S1?

Now he just has little moments of jealous anger, mixed with starry-eyed gazes at his lover, followed by sweet "see you after the battle" kisses.

He could have been an interesting 'lieutenant'-character opposite Crixus, but now he seems delegated to be the token male gay-love character. I'm just not seeing anything compelling with the guy anymore and he (and/or Nasir) could die in any episode and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.
He's like the Barca of Seasons 2 and 3, but not nearly as badass.

Lugo, on the other hand, is awesome... and I wish he'd get the screentime that Agron/Nasir get. The guy is a beast.

JDSN

Banned
Is it just me or was Agron a much more interesting character when his brother was alive in S1?

Now he just has little moments of jealous anger, mixed with starry-eyed gazes at his lover, followed by sweet "see you after the battle" kisses.

He could have been an interesting 'lieutenant'-character opposite Crixus, but now he seems delegated to be the token male gay-love character. I'm just not seeing anything compelling with the guy anymore and he (and/or Nasir) could die in any episode and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Lugo, on the other hand, is awesome... and I wish he'd get the screentime that Agron/Nasir get. The guy is a beast.

Yeah, its a damn shame I love those little moments between chracters Nassir and Lugo. It seems like a problem with the series in general all characterization in the series when it comes to the slaves is defined by their relationships, except with Gannicus and that is a by-product of his looser relationship with Saxa.

Historically

Well Ep 8's title is called Separate Paths, according to wiki, kind of makes sense with a falling out, be a shame to see him go though, guy used to be cool.

I wonder if Old Naevia was still doing the role whether she would be hated so much?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It is in a way and it isn't in a way for me. It's a truth about the matter so it should be shown. Where I don't like it is that if the slaves are no better than the Romans, which appears to be the case, then it makes my desire of seeing a side win diminish greatly. From an entertainment perspective it makes everything seem less important to me.

But that's where the conflict and the drama comes from, many of the men under Spartacus (gauls/germans ARE no better than the Romans whereas Spartacus himself is striving to be). Would the show be better if all of the slaves were benevolent, Herculean heroes committed to the abolish of slavery and the equal (and kind) treatment of all peoples? I don't think so. There's always an ugly side to war (on both factions), and ignoring that is ignoring a universal truth to create a fairy tale.

It's akin to the whole Terrorists/rebels vs freedom fighters debate. Are they fighting for freedom? Sure, maybe. Are they also terrorists/ruthless? Yes, probably.

agreed

Monocle

I agree. Agron and Nasir have become defined by their pairing. I think they have a sweet relationship. The problem is, that's all they've had to offer the show since mid/late season 2. Something should happen to define them as distinctive characters again. I say keep them together but give them more to do.

But that's where the conflict and the drama comes from, many of the men under Spartacus (gauls/germans ARE no better than the Romans whereas Spartacus himself is striving to be). Would the show be better if all of the slaves were benevolent, Herculean heroes committed to the abolish of slavery and the equal (and kind) treatment of all peoples? I don't think so. There's always an ugly side to war (on both factions), and ignoring that is ignoring a universal truth to create a fairy tale.

It's akin to the whole Terrorists/rebels vs freedom fighters debate. Are they fighting for freedom? Sure, maybe. Are they also terrorists/ruthless? Yes, probably.

I see your points and they are valid but, I just don't put that much skin into a show. I'm watching for entertainment and the show was really entertaining without these developments. It still is but, I find them un-necessary for my own enjoyment.

I still also miss Andy Whitfield. Liam McIntyre is capable but, he's not as good (purely subjective on my part) as Whitfield was in the role.

I still also miss Andy Whitfield. Liam McIntyre is capable but, he's not as good (purely subjective on my part) as Whitfield was in the role.
I think the writers are largely to blame for this. Pretty much all character development happened in season 1, and Spartacus has been kinda bland in season 2 and 3. Not sure of Whitfield could have done it much better given the material.

Senator Soufflé;47592756 said:
Well Ep 8's title is called Separate Paths, according to wiki, kind of makes sense with a falling out, be a shame to see him go though, guy used to be cool.

I wonder if Old Naevia was still doing the role whether she would be hated so much?

It would be hard to imagine S1 Naevia wielding a sword and hacking and slashing Romans. I wonder if they would've even gone in that direction for the character with the S1 actress.

I compare it to the casting of Dumbledore. While Richard Harris (RIP) portrayed a serene, wise Dumbledore very well, Gambon seemed to be more suited for a fighting, fiery Dumbledore in the latter books. Of course that's not to say Harris could've have done it as well, but maybe the writing was more adapted to the actor.

I agree. Agron and Nasir have become defined by their pairing. I think they have a sweet relationship. The problem is, that's all they've had to offer the show since mid/late season 2. Something should happen to define them as distinctive characters again. I say keep them together but give them more to do.

They may expand on the fact that Nasir is rarely in danger while Agron always is. Agron is given more and more dangerous assignments while Nasir is only used as a scout/backup. Maybe later Agron gets wounded and Nasir blames Spartacus, or Nasir sneaks along with Spartacus and co. and gets wounded.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Liam McIntyre... I've gotten somewhat used to. I don't mind him anymore (at least he's no longer a nagging distraction) and he even has some occasionally alright moments.

But can this guy please lift some fucking weights in the off season? Jesus Christ, he was wimpy looking in his first season and I gave him some slack because, well it's more the producers/casting fault than his, but what they hell did he do during break?

You are Spartacus. Do you even lift bro?

I don't blame Naevia for being paranoid of Romans; she has no reason to have faith in any of them. And y'all are quick to turn your back on the slaves. Like they haven't been subjected to every cruel thing imaginable. The city that they took over had a slave stoned to death in public, with Laeta just watching like it was nothing. If anything Spartacus has a been little too lenient with them, given how Laeta just went behind his back and started freeing them(if I'm interpreting that right).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I've been rewatching Gods of the Arena and Blood and Sand during the hiatus week and dang... I miss the ludis/arena :(. Third season is rivaling the first in enjoyment for me so far, though.

I don't blame Naevia for being paranoid of Romans; she has no reason to have faith in any of them. And y'all are quick to turn your back on the slaves. Like they haven't been subjected to every cruel thing imaginable. The city that took over had a slave stoned to death in public, with Laeta just watching like it was nothing. If anything Spartacus has a been little too lenient with them, given how Laeta just went behind his back and started freeing them(if I'm interpreting that right).

Seriously, it's not out of character and it's 100% logical. If the slaves/gladiators were goody-two-shoes "I love everyone and never touch a Roman civilian", it would just make the series bland and unenjoyable for me. It would be a joke. This is an army of mistreated, foreign ("non-Roman") violent men, raised in blood and slavery--who only know how to kill and solve problems with violence. Naevia way more so... being taken from your lover, beaten, raped, and forced to work in underground mines... yeah, I think I'd be a pretty bitter person after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom