• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials

Furyous

What's stopping Trump from firing Mueller over this right now?

I can already see his statement "This investigator has become too politicized and biased as this investigation occurs. He will not give me a favorable outcome so he has to go."

All I want is someone sensible and committed to country to stand up and provide a thorough investigation with findings and appropriate outcome. I am not biased against the person in the office of President right now but this entire situation gets worse damn near everyday. How does a sitting President manage to piss off the intelligence community less than six full months into office. Does Trump realize he's got another 3.5 years to deal with them?

Republicans cannot be this dense to think the American people will sit idly by while the land their sitting on keeps flooding and no legislative ramifications occur, right? There's an election next year and actions like these are not looking good in light of the current rushed through Trumpcare.

True, but I still wouldn't put anything past him. Maybe he hired the best guy for the job just to fire him.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Buckle

I can already see his statement "This investigator has become too politicized and biased as this investigation occurs. He will not give me a favorable outcome so he has to go."

All I want is someone sensible and committed to country to stand up and provide a thorough investigation with findings and appropriate outcome. I am not biased against the person in the office of President right now but this entire situation gets worse damn near everyday. How does a sitting President manage to piss off the intelligence community less than six full months into office. Does Trump realize he's got another 3.5 years to deal with them?

Republicans cannot be this dense to think the American people will sit idly by while the land their sitting on keeps flooding and no legislative ramifications occur, right? There's an election next year and actions like these are not looking good in light of the current rushed through Trumpcare.
As far as I know, its out of Trump's hands because they can just rehire him.

They have no intention of letting this go so he can keep adding fuel to the fire at his feet if he wants to.

He has to go through Rosenstein, who isn't really keen on him right now

Also it would look significantly worse than firing Comey

All I want is someone sensible and committed to country to stand up and provide a thorough investigation with findings and appropriate outcome.

You got him, his name's Robert Mueller

norm9

"Not only are the Dumbocrats obstructing the passage of America's healthcare bill, remember when one of THEM shot a Congressman?! Lock them all up! Let's drain this swamp in 2018 by golly. 'murica!" or something like that.

Nerazar

Lets be real, Trump fires Mueller, he has no excuse to lean on to try to explain his erractic behaviour.

"He's just new at this" didn't cut it before, its definitely not going to now.

It's the first time for him firing Mueller, so he's new to this. Noone told him that colluding with Russia and laundering their money by getting it through SuperPACs was illegal. He just believed Putin, because Trump is a trusting guy. Cut him some slack. Give him a chance.

Vectorman

Banned
Why do people think Trump can fire Mueller? Only Rosenstein can fire him. And considering how Sessions was so quick to throw Rosenstein under the bus again at the Senate hearing, I doubt he will be willing to fire Mueller.

Primus

The President doesn't have authority to fire a special council, only the Attorney General's office can. And with Sessions "recusing" himself, that role falls to Deputy AG Rosenstein.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That cannot be true, right?

Matt Ford's comment? I cannot possibly see how it is true. I think it was a joke trying to implying Trump would be dumb enough to do that, which would be admitting obstruction of justice.

Taramoor

Matt Ford's comment? I cannot possibly see how it is true. I think it was a joke trying to implying Trump would be dumb enough to do that, which would be admitting obstruction of justice.

Pardoning is a process, and part of that process is admitting that you did the thing you're being pardoned for.

In some ways, we're fortunate, because Trump will never... EVER... admit that he did something that was wrong. He literally thinks he's more righteous than Jesus. I doubt everybody else will be unwilling to admit fault if it means avoiding consequences.

That cannot be true, right?
Pardon power doesn't apply to impeachment. This is explicitly stated in the constitution.

Trump could pardon himself but that would look like an admission of guilt and congress could pass the law establishing an independent commission or some other mechanism to finish the investigation.

There's a reason Bill Clinton didn't pardon himself when he was under investigation for perjury, obstruction of justice, and abuse of power in the 90s.

E-Cat

Trump had received private assurances from former FBI Director James B. Comey starting in January that he was not personally under investigation. Officials say that changed shortly after Comey’s firing.
This is my favorite part.
So, it was Trump's paranoia about being under investigation that wound up being the cause that he's now under investigation? Textbook definition of irony.

Flo_Evans

You guys just don't appreciate Trump. To drain the swamp you have to become the swamp. He's tearing down the corrupt government... from the inside.

X-Frame

While I think this is very refreshing to finally hear, does anyone else think that this "leak" may actually be hurting the investigation now? Was it Democrats that could have leaked this?

Now Trump and Co. have somewhat of a heads up on the status of the probe.

EDIT: Or does this further protect Mueller and the investigation because now it's out there that Trump personally is being investigated for obstruction. Therefore, were he to fire him then it literally would be confirming obstruction. Is that correct?

Slime

Banned
I figured this was bound to happen after so many Republians tried to play the "Comey said Trump is not under investigation" card yesterday

Nafai1123

Banned
While I think this is very refreshing to finally hear, does anyone else think that this "leak" may actually be hurting the investigation now? Was it Democrats that could have leaked this?

Now Trump and Co. have somewhat of a heads up on the status of the probe.

EDIT: Or does this further protect Mueller and the investigation because now it's out there that Trump personally is being investigated for obstruction. Therefore, were he to fire him then it literally would be confirming obstruction. Is that correct?

I think it protects them by removing the remote possibility of the investigation going nowhere from the public point of view. If the GOP could build on the narrative that the POTUS isn't under investigation, then they could start to transform that narrative into this investigation being a witch hunt, and possibly use that as justification for shutting it down.

By saying, "yes, the POTUS is under investigation for trying to obstruct the investigation," it kills any of that momentum in it's tracks.

Zolo

By saying, "yes, the POTUS is under investigation for trying to obstruct the investigation," it kills any of that momentum in it's tracks.

Yeah. I expect a double-down on "Mueller is Comey's friend, and can't be trusted!" and "This political investigation has become too partisan!"

Top Bottom