• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming | Production Thread

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Mysterio could work fantastically on film. He has to come eventually.

Jetman

Thought this was the worst trailer of the Marvel panel (except for the highscool yearbook opening). Felt like I was watching an ABC after school special. When the director says he wanted to do a story about pre-pubescent Parker since it would be great to see him in high school interacting with all of his friends and students, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Saw my fill of high school Parker in the Toby Macguire movie.
Did this trailer not leak yet?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thought this was the worst trailer of the Marvel panel (except for the highscool yearbook opening). Felt like I was watching an ABC after school special. When the director says he wanted to do a story about pre-pubescent Parker since it would be great to see him in high school interacting with all of his friends and students, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Where he was for 10 minutes in highschool?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Did this trailer not leak yet?

wut

Jetman

Where he was for 10 minutes in highschool?

The interactions that were shown between Peter and his friends were really juvenile. Just not what I wanted to see out of a Spider-Man movie after the more adult themes in the last few movies.
It almost looked like it was inspired by that newer child/teen focused Spider-Man cartoon on XD?

Haha, I didn't catch that! If a stream of this panel ever shows up on the Internet, I'll have to see if I heard him wrong.

The interactions that were shown between Peter and his friends were really juvenile. Just not what I wanted to see out of a Spider-Man movie after the more adult themes in the last few movies.
It almost looked like it was inspired by that newer child/teen focused Spider-Man cartoon on XD?

Haha, I didn't catch that! If a stream of this panel ever shows up on the Internet, I'll have to see if I heard him wrong.

He has been an adult in his last 5 movies, I think showing the teenage Parker is a needed change.

Jetman

He has been an adult in his last 5 movies, I think showing the teenage Parker is a needed change.

We'll see! Maybe Marvel will pull in a new generation of movie-goers who watch the XD show into watching their films by doing a younger themed movie.
As much as I love Spider-Man, just don't think this is aimed at me. Kind of a bummer, but at least we have a whole slew of other Marvel movies for those with my temperament.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
We'll see! Maybe Marvel will pull in a new generation of movie-goers who watch the XD show into watching their films by doing a younger themed movie.
As much as I love Spider-Man, just don't think this is aimed at me. Kind of a bummer, but at least we have a whole slew of other Marvel movies for those with my temperament.

Maybe you should wait until you see at least a few seconds of footage before deciding. Just because something in highschool doesn't make it automatically bad or inaccessible to adults.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe you should wait until you see at least a few seconds of footage before deciding. Just because something in highschool doesn't make it automatically bad or inaccessible to adults.
Remember the childmovie classic Breakfast Club? Only enjoyable until you are 16.

Jetman

True! And I know they just started filming. But my first impressions of the other Marvel movies like Dr. Strange and Guardians Vol. 2 was pretty favorable. They looked great! As first impressions go, what they showed for Spider-Man was a bit lacking.

Remember the childmovie classic Breakfast Club? Only enjoyable until you are 16.

Different entirely. Did you see the trailer? What did you like about it?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nothing, since its not at the web, but I am pretty sure they dont want to make it a children movie for kids who look Ultimate Spider-Man at Disney XD.

Sadist

Pretty sure people like teenage Spider-Man because of combining his private life with his costumed hijinks.

It's why Ultimate Spider-Man (the comicbook) and Miles Morales are so well liked.

Jetman

Nothing, since its not at the web, but I am pretty sure they dont want to make it a children movie for kids who look Ultimate Spider-Man at Disney XD.

So, you're defense forcing it without having even seen the thing? Hahahaha, alright bro. Kind of hard to form an argument on your end.
But, I see your avatar and I feel ya. I don't want this to suck either!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, you're defense forcing it without having even seen the thing? Hahahaha, alright bro. Kind of hard to form an argument on your end.
But, I see your avatar and I feel ya. I don't want this to suck either!
Because I originally said that movies that are set in Highschool arent necessary kids movies and they most likely dont want to go after the crowd that watched kindergarden garbage like Ultimate Spider-Man? Have you actually ever seen Ultimate Spider-Man?

Cool, bro! But its easier to drop the defense force line then actully argue. Have fun with your couple of seconds from a two hour movie :)

That's interesting, and what's also interesting to me is that Logan Marshall-Green is not part of the top billed cast despite apparently playing a villain. So if there's Vulture, Tinkerer, and Shocker... Tinkerer is not a type of villain who could appear briefly and get beat up and amount to nothing, so I'd think his actor would be part of the top billed cast. Probably. Keaton is definitely Vulture (rumored, plus he's the top billed actor pegged as a villain and Vulture is definitely the main antagonist), and if Woodbine is Shocker, the only other member of the top billed cast that could be Tinkerer as far as I can tell is Donald Glover, who we have no rumor of who he's playing at all so far as I know, or maybe Tyne Daly if they gender swap the Tinkerer.

Makes me think Marshall-Green is playing a character who's set up for future appearances.

EDIT: The top billed cast according to Marvel is:

Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Zendaya, Donald Glover, Jacob Batalon, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, Tyne Daly, Bokeem Woodbine, with Marisa Tomei, and Robert Downey Jr.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true that Tony Revolori is playing Flash Thompson?
Edit : Guess so

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/2...?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitterL

What? The kid looks like a bigger nerd than Holland.
You don't have to be cool to be a bully.

But Flash is into Sports (Football), that's like making Mary Jane into a nerd instead of a girl who loves going to parties and dance.

Leeds is even worse.

235qXIn.gif

I seriously don't know how I feel about this movie. I mean these characters (Flash and Ned) aren't huge but they literally changed them into some other peoples.

Kevinroc

Not totally related but MJ was pretty much a nerd in the Ultimate rendition.

And she was a big dork in Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, which the director also name dropped when discussing what Spidey comics he read to help prepare him for the film.

Even her 616 counterpart can be a bit of a dork at times.

So top billed cast:

Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-man
Michael Keaton as villain (rumored and highly likely to be Vulture)
Zendaya as Michelle (maybe Michelle Gonzales but people are being cagey about her)
Donald Glover as ??? (no clue)
Jacob Batalon as Ned (likely Ned Leeds)
Laura Harrier as Liz (likely Liz Allan)
Tony Revolori as Flash Thompson
Tyne Daly as ??? (no clue)
Bokeen Woodbine as villain (rumored to be Herman Schultz/Shocker)
with Marisa Tomei as May Parker
and Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark

kunonabi

But Flash is into Sports (Football), that's like making Mary Jane into a nerd instead of a girl who loves going to parties and dance.

235qXIn.gif

I seriously don't know how I feel about this movie. I mean these characters (Flash and Ned) aren't huge but they literally changed them into some other peoples.

At this point I'm just going to roll with the punches and just hope they don't screw up MJ when they get around to her. I really don't want nerd MJ either since we just finished with Gwen who was smarter than Peter in the Amazing series. Holland's Parker trying to handle classic MJ is a much more interesting dynamic and pretty much of all the other MCU romantic female leads have been the more intelligent half or still fairly intelligent in other areas.

Super reassuring to know only 1/3rd of the writers were involved with Vacation. Last pair seem to have Community credits.
Just some more background on the new writers.

In addition to the guys who wrote "Vacation", Jon Watts contributed along with Christopher Ford. Watts wrote "Cop Car" and "Clown" alongside Ford, while Ford wrote "Robot and Frank." Also, this duo Chris McKenna & Erik Sommers contributed as well. They both worked on the Jumanji reboot. Sommers contributed to "The Lego Batman Movie" and wrote for "Happy Endings" and "American Dad", while McKenna wrote for "Community."

So, now the script might actually be good!

One thing I've learned is there's only so much you can take from looking at who wrote a script.

Chris Terrio wrote Batman v Superman...
Chris Terrio has one good script to his name. He was never a guarantee of quality.

Now Affleck on the other hand has been a fantastic creative force for nearly 20 years. I expect good things for his Batman solo movie.

LionPride

Banned

235qXIn.gif

So wait, what's your logic here in regards to Flash because I don't get it

Anyone can be a bully. Bullies don't have to be the stereotypical sports jock and its important to highlight that that kind of behavior can come from anywhere. I'm also glad they're not sticking to established race for the supporting cast and diversifying more.

kunonabi

Flash can be a bully without being twice as big as Peter or a sports addict. I don't really understand that complaint.

The thing is classic Flash makes more sense for the whole joining the army/venom nonsense.

Not that I actually want to see that garbage happen which is I why I don't care all that much about Revolori as Flash.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Keeping with being a modern take and all, it would be fitting if Flash was more of a cyber bully, or just being a popular kid who induces FOMO on all the kids he doesn't like.

The thing is classic Flash makes more sense for the whole joining the army/venom nonsense.

Not that I actually want to see that garbage happen which is I why I don't care all that much about Revolori as Flash.

Doubt they will ever go there with Flash/Venom as a character. For movies where they can't explore every possibility with characters it makes more sense to stick to the classic anti-hero angle for Venom. I highly doubt they casted Tony with the intention of making him Agent Venom down the line.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
And let's not forget that trying to set up random crap for future movies is what hurt the last Spider-Man movie.

I'm also ok with them trying to steer away from old stereotypes. Very curious about what they'll do with the cast and how the whole thing will gel.

we already got jock thompson twice with Raimi and Webb, we deserve a better class of bully

and tbf Revolori can buik up to appear at least somewhat physically intimidating

whenever I'm feeling apprehensive about something in a future MCU film, I just remind myself that Feige is overseeing everything, so it'll most likely work out anyways

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, what's your logic here in regards to Flash because I don't get it

Flash hobby is (and at one time was teaching) Sport/PE, he was a Football player and iirc was close being a professional Football player or he did become one but dropped out due to an injury. My point being is that the actor doesn't look like a guy who is fit and is passionate about sports (no offense to the actor), Tom Holland looks more like Flash compared to Tony Revolori who is closer being Peter Parker instead.

Flash hobby is (and at one time was teaching) Sport/PE, he was a Football player and iirc was close being a professional Football player or he did become one but dropped out due to an injury. My point being is that the actor doesn't look like a guy who is fit and is passionate about sports (no offense to the actor), Tom Holland looks more like Flash compared to Tony Revolori who is closer being Peter Parker instead.

And that probably won't be a part of Flash's character in this movie. Which is fine - it's not his defining characteristic.

For me, Flash just needs to be a bully to Peter but happens to be a Spiderman fanboy. I think it'll work out fine.

Have you seen high school athletes recently? My brother is starting freshman football in September. Most aren't the tall, built, stereotypical sports jock. Some are short. They play Smite on Xbox One. They watch Big Bang Theory and Walking Dead. Etc

Basically that common movie/tv representation of the high school athlete isn't very representative of how diverse actual kids who play sports.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
And that probably won't be a part of Flash's character in this movie. Which is fine - it's not his defining characteristic.

For me, Flash just needs to be a bully to Peter but happens to be a Spiderman fanboy. I think it'll work out fine.

I'm fine with it, but it's like his character took a different turn which took me by surprise.

I think people are familiar with what Flash is like in the comics. The question was why "likes football" is a core, inalienable trait of a bully character in 2016.

Edit: Or why being physically formidable is a requirement to playing football. My friend Aaron in 9th grade was the 2nd smallest boy in the class. He was also the only Junior who made the football team. Good hands, quick on his feet.

I love Grand Budapest so seeing Zero be any sort of bully will be interesting. I think people who are mouthing off about it are pretty predictable, it does seem like a knee-jerk reaction because he's not white honestly.

Top Bottom