• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming | Production Thread

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So top billed cast:

Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-man
Michael Keaton as villain (rumored and highly likely to be Vulture)
Zendaya as Michelle (maybe Michelle Gonzales but people are being cagey about her)
Donald Glover as ??? (no clue)
Jacob Batalon as Ned (likely Ned Leeds)
Laura Harrier as Liz (likely Liz Allan)
Tony Revolori as Flash Thompson
Tyne Daly as ??? (no clue)
Bokeen Woodbine as villain (rumored to be Herman Schultz/Shocker)
with Marisa Tomei as May Parker
and Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark

I could see Donald Glover playing a young Robbie Robertson. They seem to be doing a lot of different takes on characters (I'm loving that Flash Thompson casting). Glover as Robbie could be really cool. Especially if we play up him knowing Peter's identity. Or he's Miles Morales dad (I'm kidding...). In either case, this cast is looking awesome. Really impressed. And oh man, Bokeem Woodbine as Shocker would be fucking amazing.

I was watching the Incredible Hulk the other day and noticed Martin Starr actually had a small part in it! I'm sure it will have zero connection to Spider Man, but I thought it was funny since Marvel tends to not reuse actors like that.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I was watching the Incredible Hulk the other day and noticed Martin Starr actually had a small part in it! I'm sure it will have zero connection to Spider Man, but I thought it was funny since Marvel tends to not reuse actors like that.

Kenneth Choi, who played Jim Morita in Captain America: The First Avenger, will be in Homecoming as the principal.

LionPride

Banned
Flash hobby is (and at one time was teaching) Sport/PE, he was a Football player and iirc was close being a professional Football player or he did become one but dropped out due to an injury. My point being is that the actor doesn't look like a guy who is fit and is passionate about sports (no offense to the actor), Tom Holland looks more like Flash compared to Tony Revolori who is closer being Peter Parker instead.
Bro, I'm a high school athlete, I'm skinny and shit since my legs is where most my muscle is, I play rugby. Bullies can look like me, or look like some giant ass people like my teammates. This ain't the 60s anymore with a stereotypical "Jock" bully.

Trike

The thing is classic Flash makes more sense for the whole joining the army/venom nonsense.

Not that I actually want to see that garbage happen which is I why I don't care all that much about Revolori as Flash.

That kind of stuff wouldn't even really be able to happen for years realistically. Not that I think that is the plan for his character at all. Also you don't even need to be anything resembling a stereotypical jock to join the army.

Oddly enough I think the novelization of the film credited that character as Amadeus Cho for some reason lol

Not Iron Man/Tony Stark, just Tony Stark.

No Iron Man in this film I guess.
That was just my guess, we have no idea if Iron Man proper shows up or not.

All this talk of Tony's Flash, has anyone seen this shot of him from the set?

Y1LvzFp.jpg
I can see Flash here.

BokehKing

Banned
Idk, I think it makes sense. It's just reflecting 2016 society. You don't have to be big popular jock to be a bully. That seems like a stereotype from the 60s or something

Basically this
The contrast was Flash was popular Star football player and Peter was a dork people picked on. Jocks are still the same today as they were in the 60's

New Flash looks like a guy Peter could beat up with out spider powers. Other version of flash is someone that would easily beat the snot out of Peter if he wanted to

I can see Flash here.

Heh, I had only seen the off-set photos before with his long hair and thought they were going for a pretty different take on Flash. He does look more like one would expect on-set after they cut his hair. Popped collar and all.

Really like him as an actor so I'm looking forward to seeing his portrayal. I hope he has a character arc like we got in Spectacular.

The contrast was Flash was popular Star football player and Peter was a dork people picked on. Jocks are still the same today as they were in the 60's

New Flash looks like a guy Peter could beat up with out spider powers. Other version of flash is someone that would easily beat the snot out of Peter if he wanted to

The point is that the "jock" itself is a stereotype, basically the one where student athletes are big meat heads who bully the weak and get all the girls.

I don't really mind that Marvel is trying to break that to reflect the various other types of bullying in contemporary times. These days attitudes toward "athletes" and "nerds" are very different than it was even a decade or two ago.

I can see Flash here.

Popped collar polo practically screams "douche", which means he's totally Flash. Like a Jersey Shore-version of Flash.

Trust me, the guys on my brother's football team look just like that. Complete with braces and glasses too

And honestly, it doesn't matter what the person looks like. The interaction matters. You don't need to be a big hulking guy to be a horrible bully. There are worse ways to abuse and humiliate a person than beating them up

Trike

I think people's issue with Flash is that Peter was a weak nerd type and Flash was a strong bully. It was more of a blatant contrast between the two characters and when Peter got his powers he did not abuse his physical superiority over others. You know, "with great powers comes great responsibility" and all of that. Tony Revolori just doesn't really look the type.

But once you move past that, you still get a bully being just a straight-up dick to a guy even if they don't get physical. So worse case scenario we miss out on a scene of Peter being more athletic/stronger than Flash Thompson. Also nobody gives a crap about Flash Thompson and every depiction of him in film has been dumb and as an insignificant character. They could have just cast Craig Roberts as his wheelchair bound muscular dystrophy character from The Fundamentals of Caring as Flash Thompson and just have him constantly slinging insults at Peter the whole time and still have the same amount of impact as any other movie Flash. But seeing as they cast someone who is somewhat known and talented I am guessing that they have plans to actually turn him into a character with an arc or relevance throughout the film(s).

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://collider.com/spider-man-home...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

Jon Watts talks about the Vulture's redesign:

"It's a very tech based approach to how The Vulture would build a wing suit and how he would fly," the filmmaker explained. "It's not just cool design, it's a big part of the story. That I can't give away, but there's some cool stuff that goes along with that."

Asked why Marvel decided against making The Vulture a metahuman, Watts added: "From the very beginning, we wanted to try to keep it tech based just to keep it different initially from what we had seen before. Just getting away from anything that was too similar to [the past], and it sets up a really cool thing that I don't want to talk about yet! It's gonna be awesome."

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Asked why Marvel decided against making The Vulture a metahuman

The correct response here would've been "because we're not in the DC universe."

I only know Vulture from the saturdaymorning cartoons, wasn't he always some old bloke in a wingsuit? Why would he be a mutant in this?

Corpekata

Banned

I only know Vulture from the saturdaymorning cartoons, wasn't he always some old bloke in a wingsuit? Why would he be a mutant in this?

They are likely referring to the constant need to make everyone a science gone wrong type of threat in all the other Spider-Man movies, hence the answer about not repeating stuff.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
They are likely referring to the constant need to make everyone a science gone wrong type of threat in all the other Spider-Man movies, hence the answer about not repeating stuff.

Ah, so he's a science villain who gets the science right? That sounds pretty cool actually.

I have been teaching for 12 years now (8 at HS level and the past 4 at MS) and on top of that have spoken at conferences and schools across the lower portion of NY.

The stereotypes of jocks have not really fit for a long g time now. Nor has the stereotypes for bullies. You might be surprised at the bullies of schools now. With the advent of cyber bullying it's taken on a new form. And one of the biggest sources of bullying I see revolves around socioeconomic status. Kids don't get bullied for being nerds or for being smart as much as they get bullied for not having the newest phone or newest sneakers. Given Peter's poverty, and our current society, I think that's an easy and great direction to go. When you have people constantly mocking you it makes you feel weak and powerless to the point where even the smallest kid in the school seems threatening.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seriously? That is brand new information to me.

RE:Second Arc of Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (Vol.1)- Venomous. After Spidey battles with Electro Adrian tell us this.
Yes, I know, I am a nerd :D

No idea if this was brought up somewhere before or after that, because now that I think about it I remember a Arc where Thomes broke out of jail with a new build suit and I dont know if someone thought about this.
Can make a photo of the dialouge when I am home.

In the books the harness he wears gave him powers to a certain degree even after he takes it off, i.e. Enhanced strength and durability for an old guy and some levitation abilities.

Corpekata

Banned
The whole levitation thing is relatively new so I doubt that was even in consideration as something central to the character. For the majority of his comic career he's been just a geezer in a suit.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The whole levitation thing is relatively new so I doubt that was even in consideration as something central to the character. For the majority of his comic career he's been just a geezer in a suit.

Stealing life-essence from the young to keep himself from dying right?

Corpekata

Banned
Stealing life-essence from the young to keep himself from dying right?

Not really so much. I know that was a big part of the cartoon, and he's been de-aged every once in a while but for the most part he's just been a tech minded criminal kingpin type.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
RE:Second Arc of Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (Vol.1)- Venomous. After Spidey battles with Electro Adrian tell us this.
Yes, I know, I am a nerd :D

I mean sure he could do that if the author wants the character to be able to do that, but that is rather new (~ 10 years ago).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The Vulture's ability to slowly levitate by himself was gained from prolonged exposure to the electromagnetic harness of his wing-suit. He didn't start out with that ability.

http://www.marvelousrealm.com/new-blog/2016/7/26/character-identity-revealed-part-2

I don't know how reliable this source is, but supposedly, Angourie Rice will play Betty Brant.
This source had Flash, Liz, and Ned all pegged beforehand, so I'd say probably reliable.

Ned and Betty being portrayed so young and without the Daily Bugle in sight seems odd, but outside of whoever Michelle is supposed to be, they're going really, really classic, like early Ditko era, with the supporting cast. Like, it seems to be starting very ground level with the franchise. Interesting to see where it goes and how it ends up.

Something's definitely up with Michelle though, as this same source identified Zendaya's character as just "Michelle," no surname or anything, just as all official sources have stated, despite giving the full names and identities of most of the other cast members. I dunno what to think about that yet.

http://www.marvelousrealm.com/new-blog/2016/7/26/character-identity-revealed-part-2

I don't know how reliable this source is, but supposedly, Angourie Rice will play Betty Brant.

Interesting, but I guess it makes sense with Ned also being in high school. Maybe it'll be some sort of three way love triangle? Betty was Peter's only high school girlfriend if we go by 616 timeline after all.

Something's definitely up with Michelle though, as this same source identified Zendaya's character as just "Michelle," no surname or anything, just as all official sources have stated, despite giving the full names and identities of most of the other cast members. I dunno what to think about that yet.

None of the official sources have given full names of characters yet. The EW article where this casting news originally stemmed from only had their first names mentioned.

Top Bottom