• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Eh people make too much of a big deal about that, superman hasn't been in a massively successful film in decade and I don't think movie audiences care too much about the character these days, Snyder's take or not.

It's mainly just batman doing the heavy lifting there.

You kiddin'? It's the first time we had ever seen Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on film for the first time. Those 3 are pretty much the most popular Superheroes in the West.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You kiddin'? It's the first time we had ever seen Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on film for the first time. Those 3 are pretty much the most popular Superheroes in the West.
Wonder woman made a cameo and superman's last two film grosses says all that needs to be said about his current popularity with movie goers. Even suicide squad handedly beat him despite having film that was critically rated far worse. Keep in mind Man of steel came of the back of the dark knight trilogy with Christopher Nolan producing and great trailers and butts were still not in seats.

Bold One

spidermanps4egs6o.png

Oh come on!!!
RoyPlease.png

Temp_User

Didn't Batman just came from back-to-back +400 million dollar domestic movies (i think DKR even went past 500)? The novelty of him interacting with Superman (and Wondy) who just headlined a 300 million dollar domestic movie should've been more than enough to propel it past the domestic gross of a movie about a bunch of Marvel D-listers like GotG.

The fact that it did not is testament to the quality disparity between BvS and GotG.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What am I supposed to see there ---- that they use Spiderman PS4 game picture for Homecoming review article or the fact that the news highlight Jumanji trailer more?

Yeah the new Spider-Man game from Insomniac Games looks so good that they mistakenly took a screenshot from the game instead of the movie.

Thought it was pretty amusing.

LionPride

Banned
Take a gander who sells the most merch worldwide in terms of superheroes even when they ain't got shit comin out

Go ahead guess

It's Spider-Man

Einchy

Take a gander who sells the most merch worldwide in terms of superheroes even when they ain't got shit comin out

Go ahead guess

It's Spider-Man

That's exactly why I said "pretty much" and not "the most popular". Seemed irrelevant to bring up Spidey when the comment was about a DC movie.

But thanks for the trivia everyone knows.

LionPride

Banned
That's exactly why I said "pretty much" and not "the most popular". Seemed irrelevant to bring up Spidey when the comment was about a DC movie.

But thanks for the trivia everyone knows.
You said those three are pretty much the most popular in the west. Those were your exact words.

You were very very wrong

Einchy

You can't say pretty much the most popular for three characters and hand wave it when you're wrong. They ain't! One of them sure, but not all three.

The Holy Trinity is, like, Superhero royalty. Just because Batman is more liked doesn't mean Superman and Wonder Woman aren't, show anyone a picture of them in America, and they will instantly know who they are, all 3 are ingrained in America's pop culture DNA.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Holy Trinity is, like, Superhero royalty. Just because Batman is more liked doesn't mean Superman and Wonder Woman aren't, show anyone a picture of them in America, and they will instantly know who they are, all 3 are ingrained in America's pop culture DNA.

Recognizable =/= popularity

I'm sure a lot of kids can recognize Mickey Mouse. Doesn't mean kids are all super crazy for Mickey Mouse outside the setting of Disneyland.

Whereas the success of characters like Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man etc. are based around characters who had neither going for them before their movies came out.

eizarus

Banned
Recognizable =/= popularity

I'm sure a lot of kids can recognize Mickey Mouse. Doesn't mean kids are all super crazy for Mickey Mouse outside the setting of Disneyland.

Whereas the success of characters like Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man etc. are based around characters who had neither going for them before their movies came out.
True, but there's no way Dr Strange and Ant-Man are even close to the levels of the trinity, Iron-Man, Spidey, Cap etc.

LionPride

Banned
"It doesn't have dramatic worth, or a great story, or is remarkable in any sense.. but it's FUN, like, it has HUMOR which is so UNIQUE, 9/10 the future of super hero movies".

Give me a break. Spider-Man is one of those characters that have like lots of material to take inspiration from to make a legit great story, be it on high school or adult setting, you name it. But Disney genericness knows no bounds.

I'd rather have another Sony movie.

And sadly it didn't prove me wrong.
Man you complained that a Spider-Man movie was fuckin funny

Your shtick is one of the most tired of people who post in the DCEU thread and needs a touch up, I'd be surprised if it was damn near anyone else, but it bein you is just lolworthy at this point.

People havin fuckin gimmicks like it's a wrestlin show or some shit

Shaanyboi

Banned
True, but there's no way Dr Strange and Ant-Man are even close to the levels of the trinity, Iron-Man, Spidey, Cap etc.

I wouldn't expect any them to be. Spidey is near-fucking-untouchable in terms of superheroes, and Iron Man has RDJ. But give Dr. Strange and Ant-Man a post-Avengers boost and a good-looking sequel, and I'd imagine their popularity only rises. Civil War only did Ant-Man a favor for those that maybe skipped his solo movie. Neither Thor or Cap's first films were anything more than reasonable hits either. Not by the expectations we talk about comic movies just 5 years later.

Wonder Woman is set for a sequel, especially with the returning creative duo of Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns ensuring some solid footing. Let's wait for Justice League to see how much audiences can really be bothered to give a shit about this interpretation of Superman anymore.

Man you complained that a Spider-Man movie was fuckin funny

Your shtick is one of the most tired of people who post in the DCEU thread and needs a touch up, I'd be surprised if it was damn near anyone else, but it bein you is just lolworthy at this point.

People havin fuckin gimmicks like it's a wrestlin show or some shit
I love BronsonLee's gimmick of being always a jobber.

eizarus

Banned
I wouldn't expect any them to be. Spidey is near-fucking-untouchable in terms of superheroes, and Iron Man has RDJ. But give Dr. Strange and Ant-Man a post-Avengers boost and a good-looking sequel, and I'd imagine their popularity only rises. Civil War only did Ant-Man a favor for those that maybe skipped his solo movie. Neither Thor or Cap's first films were anything more than reasonable hits either. Not by the expectations we talk about comic movies just 5 years later.

Wonder Woman is set for a sequel, especially with the returning creative duo of Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns ensuring some solid footing. Let's wait for Justice League to see how much audiences can really be bothered to give a shit about this interpretation of Superman anymore.
This Superman is done. I wouldn't be surprised if WB push Wonder Woman into the role he was supposed to take. Personally, I'm hoping his return brings him back as a more of an amalgam of Reeves and MoS Supermen (I still think Cavill is a good fit, he's just been given a depressing character to play).

Shaanyboi

Banned
This Superman is done. I wouldn't be surprised if WB push Wonder Woman into the role he was supposed to take. Personally, I'm hoping his return brings him back as a more of an amalgam of Reeves and MoS Supermen (I still think Cavill is a good fit, he's just been given a depressing character to play).

One can only hope that with Snyder's heavy Frank Miller influence lessened, the talk from Johns about striving for optimism, Jenkins' sincerity, etc., they actually can salvage that corner of this universe. I'm convinced Batman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman will be perfectly fine, but it's a bad look when Superman is so utterly depressing and disposable. Cavill could've potentially played a more sympathetic character, and Eisenberg aside, both his movies have excellent casts who could've been the perfect interpretations of their characters. All the jokes about "Superman needs to be always smiling" aside, you should be able to come away from a Superman movie uplifted, not depressed or simply indifferent.

eizarus

Banned
One can only hope that with Snyder's heavy Frank Miller influence lessened, the talk from Johns about striving for optimism, Jenkins' sincerity, etc., they actually can salvage that corner of this universe. I'm convinced Batman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman will be perfectly fine, but it's a bad look when Superman is so utterly depressing and disposable. Cavill could've potentially played a more sympathetic character, and Eisenberg aside, both his movies have excellent casts who could've been the perfect interpretations of their characters. All the jokes about "Superman needs to be always smiling" aside, you should be able to come away from a Superman movie uplifted, not depressed or simply indifferent.
As a huge Superman fanboy, I couldn't agree more. I'd like to think that the interpretation of Superman in the comics at the time of MoS and BvS played a small role in the characterisation we got. The New 52 reboot Supes was horrible compared to what we got before and a failed attempt at modernization. Fortunately with Rebirth we've get a best of both worlds Supes now, and hopefully DC can push that forward to the big screen.

Shaanyboi

Banned
As a huge Superman fanboy, I couldn't agree more. I'd like to think that the interpretation of Superman in the comics at the time of MoS and BvS played a small role in the characterisation we got. The New 52 reboot Supes was horrible compared to what we got before and a failed attempt at modernization. Fortunately with Rebirth we've get a best of both worlds Supes now, and hopefully DC can push that forward to the big screen.

Yup. There were totally valid and compelling questions Snyder chose to ask with his movies, and there is value there. But he completely fumbled the execution for his oppressive tone and disinterest into the actual sympathetic inner-workings of the character.

DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A PROBLEM WITH SPIDER-MAN THOUGH
he said trying to steer this back on topic.

Eh people make too much of a big deal about that, superman hasn't been in a massively successful film in decade and I don't think movie audiences care too much about the character these days, Snyder's take or not.

It's mainly just batman doing the heavy lifting there.

Doesn't really matter. He's Superman. They're the Guardiajs of the Galaxy. They're not playing on an even field.

His struggles in cinema have nothing to do with his popularity and everything to do with WB struggling to make a movie worth a damn. Trying to argue otherwise doesn't make sense when you're using the same post to shrug at the Guardians of the fucking Galaxy being successful.

Certinty

If this holds at 74 MC score it would put it as the 4th best MCU movie. Behind Iron Man, Guardians and Civil War.

I've noticed MC scores usually go down when more reviews are added but with Logan and Wonder Woman they went up? So I guess there's a chance this might as well?

Loris146

If this holds at 74 MC score it would put it as the 4th best MCU movie. Behind Iron Man, Guardians and Civil War.

I've noticed MC scores usually go down when more reviews are added but with Logan and Wonder Woman they went up? So I guess there's a chance this might as well?

MC is awful for movies.

Top Bottom