• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Bold One

Captain America is selfish AF in civil war, part of why it's so great.

Ended up pulling for Iron Man, surprised me.

Same-

Despite Cap being pushed as the embodiment of nobility all throughout.

Iron Man came out looking the more human and relatable by the end of it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Cap's a giant asshole in Civil War, one that virtually everyone in the movie pats on the back and praises, which makes it all the more jarring.
Yeah weirdest thing was Clint getting angry about Tony though. I mean wtf you idiot were retired came back, chose a side that refused orders of the government and then got mad at a old friend who tried to solve this peacefully.

It made no sense for him being against this, the accords would make the avengers agents like he was all his life.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Even murderers in jail are getting mad and arguing, that they are innocent. Thats how humans are, even when its strange. He seems himself as the victim.

sam777

Captain America is selfish AF in civil war, part of why it's so great.

Ended up pulling for Iron Man, surprised me.

Only disappointment for me in that film was that
Cap didn't stick his shield through Iron Man's head at the end
. Spoliered just in case.

Cap is no doubt my favorite character in the MCU. It's probably because he's an underpowered supes who i love. Thank god for Cap i say given the portrayal of supes in the DCEU.

Yep. Given how awful DCEU's Superman turned out to be, it makes me appreciate even more how well they pulled off Cap. WW was also a way better Supes than Snyder's pathetic rendition.

Cap's a giant asshole in Civil War, one that virtually everyone in the movie pats on the back and praises, which makes it all the more jarring.

And that's after toning it way down from the comic Civil War. Even they realized the sketchy "you move" speech paints Cap in a very bad light.

What did Cap do that was bad? ��

In the comic, nothing. That was basically Tony being a huge idiot and an asshole. No idea why they pretended that the comic was even remotely ambiguous to who was in the right, especially since Osborn comes in after and uses Tony's shit to make the world a far worse place like practically anyone with a brain told Tony during the actual story line.

In the movie, Cap's motivation is far more self-centered. It was way more Cap vs. Tony then Cap. vs. U.S Gov't. or Cap fighting for the hero community at large. So it's much easier to come away from the movie not picking a side at all or going with Tony due to the personal stakes at play.

Alienous

What did Cap do that was bad? ��

Not just signing the accords to be a friend.

The choice was between 1) don't sign, breaking the law now and making things difficult insantly, or 2) sign and break the law when you feel it needs to be broken and make things difficult later.

jph139

I only really liked Cap in the First Avenger. He has that corny sort of earnestness that I love in superheroes... like, Christopher Reeves as Superman, Tobey Maguire and Spider-Man, maybe even Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. They're like... all characters with zero self-awareness. You sort of laugh at them for being naive and goofy, but you can't help admiring them, too.

It's a tough line to walk. I'm curious of Tom Holland can pull that off... he wasn't really in that same mold in Civil War.

Not just signing the accords to be a friend.

The choice was between 1) don't sign, breaking the law now and making things difficult insantly, or 2) sign and break the law when you feel it needs to be broken and make things difficult later.

Yeah, for real. Black Widow had things absolutely right - yeah, this is kind of a shitty hand to be dealt, but let's put our heads down and go along with it to keep some sort of control and keep fighting the good fight. Mr. Morals says, nope, I cannot tell a lie, so I'm going to splinter the Avengers and put people's lives at risk by becoming an international fugitive.

Like, would the Accords make it more difficult to help people in need? Sure. You know what else makes that difficult? Having to spend half of your time dodging international authorities.

That's not even getting into the fact that, let's be a real, a privately-owned American hit squad shouldn't have the freedom to fly around the world punching problems away in the first place.

Pachimari

By the way guys, to those of you who don't know, we also have an official thread for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (OT) where all things gets discussed regularly. Please join in, so we can have more discussions, and maybe even discuss the accords, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark more in depth.

Staf

I only really liked Cap in the First Avenger. He has that corny sort of earnestness that I love in superheroes... like, Christopher Reeves as Superman, Tobey Maguire and Spider-Man, maybe even Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. They're like... all characters with zero self-awareness. You sort of laugh at them for being naive and goofy, but you can't help admiring them, too.

I totally agree with this.

Spinluck

It's a tough line to walk. I'm curious of Tom Holland can pull that off... he wasn't really in that same mold in Civil War..

Holland Spidey is incredibly quirky.

Really different from any of the other heroes you've mentioned. I think that's gonna be what sells him.

And based off of Civil War, I'm so in.

AndersK

Whats your stance on Hawkeye murdering half of the Hellcarrier in Avengers 1?
Iron Man should have blown his head of, right?

Nah man. Break his neck with arm propulsion.

Edit: Also how the fuck is this holding, review-wise? Its even kinda increasing. I was anticipating a mediocre whole with at great spidey. I'm so happy meh trailers seems to have translated into something pretty good. Spidey is special to me. Chiefly due to Raimi hitting it out of the park,mostly, in my early teens.

In the movie, Cap's motivation is far more self-centered. It was way more Cap vs. Tony then Cap. vs. U.S Gov't. or Cap fighting for the hero community at large. So it's much easier to come away from the movie not picking a side at all or going with Tony due to the personal stakes at play.

Cap's whole reason for not signing was he didn't trust the government to do what was right. The issues with Tony for Cap didn't really come up until the end when Tony tried to murder an innocent man who also happens to be Steve's best friend.

Which version of that movie did any of you watch? Seriously.

Spidey still at 92%. Whew.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Back to 93%
j5ssR49.gif

Yeah weirdest thing was Clint getting angry about Tony though. I mean wtf you idiot were retired came back, chose a side that refused orders of the government and then got mad at a old friend who tried to solve this peacefully.

It made no sense for him being against this, the accords would make the avengers agents like he was all his life.

Wanda was what probably shifted his judgement. Otherwise He probably wouldn't have gotten involved.

Litan

Wanda was what probably shifted his judgement. Otherwise He probably wouldn't have gotten involved.
It was. He made a call back to his 'step out there and you're an Avenger' speech when he picked her up and told Cap he was in because he owed a debt to Petro.

LionPride

Banned

Locking a woman in her room essentially is probably what got him to join #TeamCap

JimiNutz

Banned
One review that I watched liked the movie but said that it was pretty lacking in terms of spectacular action sequences. That's really disappointing for me personally as Spider-Man action is the best comic book movie action (in my opinion).

AdanVC

I usually don't give a damn about superhero movies. The only ones I have seen on the last 15 years have been precisely Spider Man 1 and 2 by Sam Raimi... so this re-re-re-re-re-reboot has somehow captured my attention and it might the first superhero movie I see on decades lol. The excellent reviews are a huge plus too!

y2dvd

Yeah well they couldn't heel turn RDJ like they did Comics Tony

I don't think they intended to make him a heel like in the comics. That's why Civil War was so good. You understood both Cap and Tony's conflicts and motives. Got me wanting to rewatch it now lol.

The Kree

Banned
Clint also worked for SHIELD which, as it turns out, was really HYDRA, so he'd probably be on Cap's side anyway. Widow is different in that she's desperately trying to find a family in the Avengers and just wanted everybody to be together no matter what.

Both sides had fairly equal arguments to make. The only thing that makes me lean towards Team Cap is that Tony was more wrong for dragging Spider-Man into the conflict.

I'm hoping the quips are more than a shallow character trait of "he's just funny". It's better when they dive into character traits and make a story suited for them.

Here's to hoping.

I don't think they intended to make him a heel like in the comics. That's why Civil War was so good. You understood both Cap and Tony's conflicts and motives. Got me wanting to rewatch it now lol.

#teamcap cuz Cap is just better but yeah, in the movie both arguments have merit. It's how they personally try to convince one another that causes the breakdown. Steve and Tony both fucked up big time and I love that compared to the shit comic version.

Top Bottom