• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Glad to see how well received the movie is. I wasn't planning on it but might gets some tickets to opening night now.

Edit: Oh shit 94% again. Can't keep Spidey down.

So it's tied with Spider Man 2, which is also at 94%.

And Iron Man 1. If it goes up one more percent, it's both the best reviewed Spider-Man movie AND the best reviewed MCU movie on Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder if that would also make it the highest rated superhero movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes. I remember seeing promotions for Logan, hailing it as the highest rated superhero movie of all time there, but a quick search shows it currently sits at 93%, meaning Spider-Man Homecoming is already ahead of it.

And Iron Man 1. If it goes up one more percent, it's both the best reviewed Spider-Man movie AND the best reviewed MCU movie on Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder if that would also make it the highest rated superhero movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes. I remember seeing promotions for Logan, hailing it as the highest rated superhero movie of all time there, but a quick search shows it currently sits at 93%, meaning Spider-Man Homecoming is already ahead of it.

Avengers 1, followed by GotG, are the highest rated MCU movies. There's a chance SMH will pass GotG, Rating wise, Logan is between Avengers 1 and GotG. Spider-Man 2 is still higher than those.

Anth0ny

I can't imagine it'll be better than Spidey 1 or 2. But if it's even close I'll be soooooo happy 🙂🙂🙂

Avengers 1, followed by GotG, are the highest rated MCU movies. There's a chance SMH will pass GotG, Rating wise, Logan is between Avengers 1 and GotG. Spider-Man 2 is still higher than those.

Not on Rotten Tomatoes:
TcJrd6n.png

Full list:
IM: 94%
SMH: 94%
A: 92%
GOTG: 91%
DS: 90%
CA:CW: 90%
CA: TWS: 89%
AM: 81%
GOTG, V2: 81%
CA:TFA: 80%
IM3: 79%
T: 77%
A:AOU: 75%
IM2: 72%
TIH: 67%
T:TDW: 66%

Edit- Technically, The Incredibles is a superhero movie and it sits at 97%, making it the top rated superhero movie on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks like other than Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Iron Man, the Dark Knight also sits at 94%.

I wonder if the movie is really that good.

Although I really wanna watch the movie on my own terms to see if its justified. Movies like Doctor Strange and Civil War were alright and a bit overhyped. I got caught up in the hype so it was my fault.

Hopefully its a good movie because I don't expect it to be as good as Spiderman 2.

a916

I don't want to be that guy... but it's not the best reviewed Spider-Man movie... SM2's the average review on RT is 8.3. Homecoming has 7.6.

Definitely the highest RT score so far (if we don't count Incredibles)

phanphare

Banned
Not on Rotten Tomatoes:
TcJrd6n.png

Full list:

Edit- Technically, The Incredibles is a superhero movie and it sits at 97%, making it the top rated superhero movie on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks like other than Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Iron Man, the Dark Knight also sits at 94%.

if Homecoming is as good as it seems that might be my top 4 right there just in the wrong order

every few years mahvel dropping classics

I don't want to be that guy... but it's not the best reviewed Spider-Man movie... SM2's the average review on RT is 8.3. Homecoming has 7.6.

Definitely the highest RT score so far (if we don't count Incredibles)

Yeah. Right. Forgot about that distinction. Should've said highest score.

Also, speaking of The Incredibles, I'm curious what the chances are of Marvel doing an Incredibles run of comics in anticipation of the sequel. I think that would be awesome.

Not on Rotten Tomatoes:
https://i.imgur.com/TcJrd6n.png[/IMG

Full list:

Edit- Technically, The Incredibles is a superhero movie and it sits at 97%, making it the top rated superhero movie on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks like other than Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Iron Man, the Dark Knight also sits at 94%.[/QUOTE]

RT% is just likes-to-dislikes. Not much nuance there. The average ratings at least gives a better idea.

samar11

Glad to see how well received the movie is. I wasn't planning on it but might gets some tickets to opening night now.

Edit: Oh shit 94% again. Can't keep Spidey down.

Metacritic hasnt been updated I am guessing? should be higher then 7.2, right?

Edit: Ignore! lol

Honestly, not surprised.

Look super good from the trailers.

And yes, I know the movie got a LOT of unnecessary shit for too much RDJ. Ironically, the movie reportedly only has a fraction of RDJ, despite the advertising/trailers. Grated, I have not seen it myself, but that's from everything I have heard from early non-spoiler reviews.

Elandyll

Banned
I can't imagine it'll be better than Spidey 1 or 2. But if it's even close I'll be soooooo happy 🙂🙂🙂
Spidey 2 is my Goat Superhero movie of all time (redundancy on purpose).

If it's anywhere close to that, I might shed a tear.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This movie is ok. Action scenes are shot way too tight to be fun to follow. The character stuff is all too slick and fast and surface level for much of anything to land with feeling. It's lacking the genuine warmth and personality of Spider-Man 2.
It feels very in line with the MCU. I'm not a fan of those movies. If you are you'll probably like it more than I did.

Pachimari

This movie is ok. Action scenes are shot way too tight to be fun to follow. The character stuff is all too slick and fast and surface level for much of anything to land with feeling. It's lacking the genuine warmth and personality of Spider-Man 2.
It feels very in line with the MCU. I'm not a fan of those movies. If you are you'll probably like it more than I did.

So... anything good about it?

How would you compare it to the other Spidey movies? SM2 is a pretty high bar for a lot of people.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I wonder if the movie is really that good.

Although I really wanna watch the movie on my own terms to see if its justified. Movies like Doctor Strange and Civil War were alright and a bit overhyped. I got caught up in the hype so it was my fault.

Hopefully its a good movie because I don't expect it to be as good as Spiderman 2.

What do you mean by "on my own terms"

Like after the hype is down you watch it on home video or just a later theater visit when things are less crowded?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So... anything good about it?
A lot of the humour felt forced to me but there are a few really good jokes, especially a scene with Donald Glover. Michael Keaton is really good and the movie does some interesting things with him in the final act.
How would you compare it to the other Spidey movies? SM2 is a pretty high bar for a lot of people.
Probably better than all the ones made since SM2. Nice to see Peter as a kid.

It's slick and entertaining and pretty much instantly forgettable.

IHaveIce

Banned
He says to Cap that part of the reason he comes back is because he owes a debt to Wanda for Pietro saving his life. First thing he does is spring Wanda from being imprisoned.

All Cap had to do was tell Hawkeye what Tony was doing with locking her up and he was probably all, "Wtf Tony? She's just a kid!" and Cap was all, "That's what I said!"

He's mad because they ending up sitting in a super villain prison for trying to help their friends, while Clint is being kept away from his family. He knows what he was risking, and he knew which side Tony was on, but it doesn't make the betrayal hurt any less that Tony would be going along with that treatment for the team.
thanks your post makes way more sense and has better counterarguments than GAMEPROFFs.

This makes sense though the lines he said in the prison scene still are kinda over the top for how it went down.

hirokazu

Are there any moments where Peter will have sincere emotional talks, like he had with Mary Jane multiple times in Spider-Man 2? Or when he had his talk with Uncle Ben and even Aunt May in Spider-Man 1?
He is
comforted by Aunt May for a few seconds.

Holland is a way better Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire, and I enjoyed Homecoming more than any of the previous Spider-Man films.

A lot of the humour felt forced to me but there are a few really good jokes, especially a scene with Donald Glover. Michael Keaton is really good and the movie does some interesting things with him in the final act.

tenor.gif

LionPride

Banned
Oh so I'll probably think it's better than every other Spider-Man movie. Got it.

LotusHD

Banned

But you remembered enough to tell us about the movie though!

Do you have a concussion?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any moments where Peter will have sincere emotional talks, like he had with Mary Jane multiple times in Spider-Man 2? Or when he had his talk with Uncle Ben and even Aunt May in Spider-Man 1?
Not really. Like hirokazu said there's maybe 10 seconds of sincere emotional stuff with Aunt May at one point. The emotional heart of the movie is Peter trying to win over Iron Man's approval, and all the complication plays as Stark just being a fucking asshole once again. It doesn't play as really sincere.
Oh, one last question, does one of the Shockers have a mask during any moment in the movie?
Nope
Holland is a way better Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire, and I enjoyed Homecoming more than any of the previous Spider-Man films.
He's way better in that he looks young and pulls off the wise cracking high schooler better than Maguire ever could. He's not given nearly as good material though - the Raimi films were serious about making you feel Peter Parker's struggle. There's no depth to this Parker's characterisation - even when
he's worried that his friends are about to die and is struggling to get to them in time, he stills slips in a little 'woah, awesome!' as he learns about his new gadget.
It's hard to imagine this universe pulling off something with the gravitas of the train scene. There's the moment
where he summons the strength to pull himself together and lift the debris under him, which I liked, but it's over with too quickly.
I wish this film would slow down to let us feel the drama of individual scenes. Instead it's a rush to the finish line.
Put it this way, I felt like the movie was struggling to keep the jokes coming rather than letting other emotional ranges have their place.
But you remembered enough to tell us about the movie though!
Nice one, got me there!
I posted very soon after the movie ended and it's been a long night since then. I've just had a long walk home. Before I came back to this thread I hadn't thought about the movie.
It barely registered on me, because it doesn't have any real stakes to care deeply about or scenes strong enough to reflect on. It's a photocopy of a photocopy of various teen movies, including the previous Spider-Man movies. It's competently put together but there isn't anything genuine about it.
Do you have a concussion?
I'm good actually, but thanks for asking. Hope things are all good on your end.

Pachimari

That is one thing I can be worried about, that the movie won't give you enough time with other emotions because it want to be funny in almost every scene, just like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
That is one thing I can be worried about, that the movie won't give you enough time with other emotions because it want to be funny in almost every scene, just like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
It doesn't cut off the most dramatic scenes with jokes like that Hasselhoff bit in GOTG Vol 2, but it's not interested in staying on anything dramatic for too long. As a whole it's nowhere near as emotionally grounded as Guardians Vol. 2.

Mariolee

It doesn't cut off the most dramatic scenes with jokes like that Hasselhoff bit in GOTG Vol 2, but it's not interested in staying on anything dramatic for too long. As a whole it's nowhere near as emotionally grounded as Guardians Vol. 2.

So not as dramatic as some of the best parts of Spider-Man 2?

Top Bottom