• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Since SpOck confirmed that Peter was the superior of them booth... we already talked about that one :p
giphy.gif

Tansut

Moviebob did an hour long video on how much he likes the Raimi films, and has said several times 'homecoming won't be as good as the Raimi films' cos reasons.

So he's a little biased.
Yeah. I enjoy his videos and stuff, but he's someone who decides how much they like a superhero movie well in advance of actually seeing it.

El Topo

is that a good read if I don't know shit about Silver Surfer?

Slott/Allred is a dream team for me

Yes. It's a really great series. I didn't know all that much about Silver Surfer when I started reading it.
It's just such simple fun, but it also manages to deliver emotional punches when necessary.

kunonabi

As long as I get to be the biggest Carol Danvers supporter it's all good.

I just finished my rewatch of Spider-Man 3 and it's really not so bad as what the internet wants me to believe. I just can't share this notion. Yes, I feel Gwen Stacy was horribly miscast, I hated Peter's whole enlarged self-esteem trip and Venom should have ultimately been cut. But there are some good things in this movie. I love Peter's struggle with Mary Jane, and him having to overcome himself and life's struggles. I still really dig Green Goblin II and his movie suit is amazing. Sandman was also very well done and visually very comic accurate, and I didn't have much of a problem with them retconning Ben's killer as they showed how it all went down in a flashback.

I actually find Spider-Man 3 worse every time I watch it. I actually might like it less than ASM2 at this point because I at least enjoy the majority of that film through the times square battle.

Then again I don't really like any of the Raimi films so I was probably never going to like SM3 anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Remember Ero the psycho school nurse?
You mean the woman that was the other and wanted to eat Flash? Of course.

I was just a bit sad back then how the whole arc was wrapped up. It was super interesting build up for 25 issues and then lol, lets wrap it up in 2 issues

Slayven

You mean the woman that was the other and wanted to eat Flash? Of course.

I was just a bit sad back then how the whole arc was wrapped up. It was super interesting build up for 25 issues and then lol, lets wrap it up in 2 issues

I like Peter as a teacher, it suits him

Yep.

I know that him being a really successful scientist with his own company makes a lot of sense for a character with his intellect, but I can't help but miss his days as a teacher.

As someone who hasn't actually read these stories, just hears about the basic going-ons, I thought the idea of Peter having his own company and becoming a Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark type sounded like some stupid fucking shit. But again, haven't actually read the stories. Maybe they're great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As someone who hasn't actually read these stories, just hears about the basic going-ons, I thought the idea of Peter having his own company and becoming a Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark type sounded like some stupid fucking shit. But again, haven't actually read the stories. Maybe they're great.
Its a fun concept, cause its 1:1 Peter copying Iron Man. He is even funding the Avengers and has a Black guy standing in as himself to have his Secret Identity acting as his Bodyguard

I've only read the first few issues but it did feel quite jarring to me.
The Marvel Legacy Arc is called The Fall of Parker IIRC
PeskyDependentCoral.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
nice, that could actually retroactively make this whole thing more satisfying. I'm a big Slott defender but his recent stuff has been ehh overall.
I am going to be fine with Slotts work if he doesnt fuck up the Green Goblin arc,
But most likely he is going to pull shitty stuff up that will involve his shitty octopus.

phanphare

Banned
I am going to be fine with Slotts work if he doesnt fuck up the Green Goblin arc,
But most likely he is going to pull shitty stuff up that will involve his shitty octopus.

he can shoe horn doc ock into whatever stories he wants as long as it means more anna maria

Vampfox

Banned
To piggyback on this, he loves the Raimi movies so much that his ideal way to put Spider-Man into the MCU is to recast Tobey as an older Peter Parker and retroactively make those movies canon. Massive fan might be an understatement, and it might color his reception to this new movie
As someone who grew up with a married Spider-Man I'd love to see a movie with an older Peter.
It would be awesome if we got a Renew Your Vows movie.
Right now Renew Your Vows is the only good Spider-Man book, way better than the One More Day/Bland New Day/Dan Slott crap that we've been getting for the last ten years.

As someone who grew up with a married Spider-Man I'd love to see a movie with an older Peter.
Right now Renew Your Vows is the only good Spider-Man book, way better than the One More Day/Bland New Day/Dan Slott crap that we've been getting for the last ten years.

Sure, but an older Peter played by Tobey Maguire? Again?

Plus I get the appeal of an older Peter, but having a really young Peter in league with the Avengers, who are all older, gives a more interesting dynamic in my opinion. And the movies never really explored his high school life anyway, not in a meaningful way at all. It was always a backdrop quickly disposed of

I would honestly rather dedicate my life to studying time travel to go back to 2001 and stop Maguire getting to his audition than I would see another Spider-Man film with him at the helm.

Vampfox

Banned
And the movies never really explored his high school life anyway, not in a meaningful way at all. It was always a backdrop quickly disposed of
Not really much to explore in my opinion. Peter was only in high school for the first 28 issues.
I really don't get Marvel's obsession with teenage/high school Spider-Man. All the important characters such as Mary Jane, Gwen, and Harry appear after Peter goes to college.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not really much to explore in my opinion. Peter was only in high school for the first 28 issues.
I really don't get Marvel's obsession with teenage/high school Spider-Man. All the important characters such as Mary Jane, Gwen, and Harry appear after Peter goes to college.

Because nobody of todays reader grew up with the first 28 issues of Amazing Spider-Man but with Ultimate Spider-Man, where he was in Highschool from start to end.

Luckily there exists things to be created and explored beyond the comics. How many issues he was in high school is completely irrelevant to what can be done in the movies.

Edit: I actually typed out this response completely forgetting that Ultimate Spider-Man is a thing, and was crazy popular and successful. That's why Marvel loves high school Spidey recently, because everyone else (including me) did too

Because nobody of todays reader grew up with the first 28 issues of Amazing Spider-Man but with Ultimate Spider-Man, where he was in Highschool from start to end.

And Ultimate Spider-Man fucking rules, so there's that.

(Though I agree, if you feel the need to draw a modern example, the apt one is Ultimate Spider-Man, not Amazing Spider-Man).

Davide

As someone not familiar with the comics, Spider-Man in high school just makes sense. Sets him apart from the other Avengers, gives him some naivety, helps the Tony mentor role.

LionPride

Banned
Ultimate Spider-Man exists breh

Vampfox

Banned
(Though I agree, if you feel the need to draw a modern example, the apt one is Ultimate Spider-Man, not Amazing Spider-Man).
But Amazing Spider-Man is the original source so it should hold way more weight than Ultimate Spider-Man.

For most of the history of the franchise Spider-Man has been an adult. Also he was married for 20 years till Marvel fucked shit up and ruined the character with One More Day.
Adult Spider-Man is way more important than teen age Spider-Man.

The success of the 90's animated series and the Sam Raimi movies shows that you don't need to have the character in high school.

Also can someone please explain why Ultimate Spider-Man is so popular? I can't take Ultimate Spider-Man seriously since it's version of the Green Goblin is a terrible take on the character.

This thing is not the Green Goblin.

As someone not familiar with the comics, Spider-Man in high school just makes sense. Sets him apart from the other Avengers, gives him some naivety, helps the Tony mentor role.
Spider-Man doesn't need a mentor. He was a self taught hero in the comics.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Ah, wouldn't be a Spidey thread without some Slott salt.

Top Bottom