• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

I was told earlier that it being lower than WW meant that it was a worse movie, does this mean that it is now officially just as good as WW!?

Even better, has a higher average rating.

Though tbh, I've never seen a movie go up and it rarely stays the same once all the reviews pour in. Still sounds like it's going to be rock solid for fans of spider-man and teen movies.

Toa TAK

Banned
It doesn't cut off the most dramatic scenes with jokes like that Hasselhoff bit in GOTG Vol 2, but it's not interested in staying on anything dramatic for too long. As a whole it's nowhere near as emotionally grounded as Guardians Vol. 2.

Huh. Was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but it's still the MCU, I guess. Thought GOTG2 did well (enough) in that aspect.

AndersK

The itty bitty spider keeps on ticking. Back to 93 %. Interesting to see Logan, WW and this' performance on RT. They all held steady for quite a while.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Great movie, just saw in Brisbane. I'm really not even a superhero fan and this was exciting, fun and really funny.

Theecliff

Banned
moviebob just put up his review:

https://youtu.be/88OjhrP9WAw

he was very tepid on the film, saying he enjoyed it but ultimately it was a bit of a disappointment :/ sort of inline with what i was predicting, but on the other hand there are several other reviews indicating that it's better than expected. still gonna go see it but tempering my expectations a little bit after the other reviews had brought them up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
At this point I'm guessing the movie ends up in the low 90's overall in terms of the RT score.

Pachimari

No way. I ain't gonna temper anything in the lead up to the premiere. I'm all fucking hyped into this beast like I've never been before with a MCU movie. This is it. Let me have my moment.

THE AMAZING, THE SPECTACULAR, THE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!!!

Loris146

Certified fresh.

giphy.gif

Jezan

"_______ is te he best Peter Parker" doesn't hold any meaning now, they always say that.
The trailers make Peter as quirky and naive as Andrew's Peter, but younger.

"_______ is te he best Peter Parker" doesn't hold any meaning now, they always say that.

Eh, not that much younger. Andrew Garfield was playing like a high school junior 😂

Famassu

They "always say it" because it keeps being true. Tobey is the worst Peter Parker, Andrew Garfield was a big improvement and now Tom Holland is even better (or at least has a better film built around him than Garfield).

hydruxo

That is one thing I can be worried about, that the movie won't give you enough time with other emotions because it want to be funny in almost every scene, just like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

GOTG Vol 2 had plenty of emotional scenes, but...okay.

Pachimari

GOTG Vol 2 had plenty of emotional scenes, but...okay.
Yeah it had that, I just didn't like how it would abruptly end a scene with humor. I didn't like how much of that was going on. But sure, I will give it a rewatch when it hits home media. but that is my impression having seen it once in the cinema.

So its better than the Amazing Spiderman films but not as great as the Saimi Spiderman films. Or at least as good as Spiderman 1 but below Spiderman 2.

I can definitely accept that.

Can't wait to watch on Friday.

Quick

Banned
Yeah it had that, I just didn't like how it would abruptly end a scene with humor. I didn't like how much of that was going on. But sure, I will give it a rewatch when it hits home media. but that is my impression having seen it once in the cinema.

Looks like someone just watched "What Writers Should Learn from Wonder Woman" on YouTube.

lol

Spinluck

moviebob just put up his review:

https://youtu.be/88OjhrP9WAw

he was very tepid on the film, saying he enjoyed it but ultimately it was a bit of a disappointment :/ sort of inline with what i was predicting, but on the other hand there are several other reviews indicating that it's better than expected. still gonna go see it but tempering my expectations a little bit after the other reviews had brought them up.

He's a massive Raimi SPIDER-MAN fan.

Just a disclaimer for those that didn't love/like those movies.

phanphare

Banned
93% and certified fresh? Yeah this might review as well as Wonder Woman(92%) and Logan(93%).

I'm gonna watch the last great Spider Man movie in anticipation!

wait..

ok scratch that I'm gonna read some Spidey comics in anticipation! Stern omnibus here I come!

Pachimari

Did we watch the same movie? GotG Vol 2 had tons of emotional moments.

Okay, that looks sick.
I just said it has emotional moments jesus. All I was trying to say was, that I didn't like the amount of humor or how it was used in it. It turned me off on the film.

Neoxon

I just said it has emotional moments jesus. All I was trying to say was, that I didn't like the amount of humor or how it was used in it. It turned me off on the film.
Ah, got it. I was okay with the humor, but to each their own, I guess.

Top Bottom