• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Garlador

I still can't believe that Marvel wanted to ruin one of the best written romantic couples(Peter and MJ).

Mary Jane doesn't get enough respect from Marvel. She's the second most important love interest in comics behind Lois Lane.
Sure Marvel will put her on covers but when it comes time to use her in the books they don't use her well.

Well, at least we have Renew Your Vows. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Speaking with Stan Lee at a con a couple of years ago, he was asked who his favorite non-superhero character was, and he told the audience he most liked Mary Jane. I always found that interesting.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man even I don’t get free iPhones
How about StarkPhones?
T2MR5q1.jpg

Buckle

Well, at least we have Renew Your Vows. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Speaking with Stan Lee at a con a couple of years ago, he was asked who his favorite non-superhero character was, and he told the audience he most liked Mary Jane. I always found that interesting.
Its funny, in a sea of angry fans, I think I was one of the few people pretty ecstatic about BND finally opening back up Peter's love life.

Mary Jane might be one of my least favorite Spider-Man characters ever and I always kind of resented her constantly popping up when I was a kid.

I was also a pretty big Black Cat fan so she had that working against her too.

I'm glad fans have books like Spider-Girl and RYV though.

Sou Da

Its funny, in a sea of angry fans, I think I was one of the few people pretty ecstatic about BND finally opening back up Peter's love life.

Mary Jane might be one of my least favorite Spider-Man characters ever and I always kind of resented her constantly popping up when I was a kid.

I was also a pretty big Black Cat fan so she had that working against her too.
Oh boy you must really love Slott's work.

LionPride

Banned
Yep.

And 10 years of a small group of people swearing that Marvel was going to undo One More Day because it was a disaster and fans hated it.

Annnnnyyyy day now.
Gone through what 2 universe reboots now? Still no MJ and Pete marriage

Should be a sign

Buckle

I actually really love Dan Slott's writing, Avengers Initiative is the book that got me hooked on Marvel again and his arcs on BND were all stellar, especially when Marcos Martin was involved.

Its just his direction for his solo stint on Amazing has been not quite what I was hoping for. He's swung it in some pretty different directions when I think he's at his best writing more classic/vintage Spider-Man stories. That and his use of the supporting cast leaves something to be desired. Especially the female characters.

He probably would have been my number one pick to be the new Amazing writer but in hindsight, I think I would have rather seen what Joe Kelly would have done.

Vampfox

Banned
Yep.

And 10 years of a small group of people swearing that Marvel was going to undo One More Day because it was a disaster and fans hated it.

Annnnnyyyy day now.
Some day a fan of the marriage will be in a position of power to bring the marriage back in the same way that Joe Quesada a close minded hate of the marriage was in a position to foolishly undo it.

Peter and MJ are soulmates and are meant to be together, and their relationship was one of the best written ones in the comic book industry.

Sad that Marvel hates character development.

Garlador

Yep.

Annnnnyyyy day now.

Same people who did One More Day are still calling the shots. Pendulum always swings both ways eventually, and I'm not expecting it for another decade or more.

It happens every time in comics. Someone grew up with Barry Allen and, despite twenty years of Wally West stories, decides that Barry Allen should be the default Flash again. Someone grew up with Eddie Brock as Venom, and by golly we'll get someone telling Eddie Brock Venom stories again. Someone grew up with teenage Peter Parker, and we'll get someone doing teenage Peter Parker stories once more. Someone who wants the "original" X-men cast to get together again. We've got people nostalgic for Scarlet Spider with a Ben Reilly book out now.

We'll have someone who'll come along and put Superman back in red underoos one day, someone who'll hook Harley Quinn back up with the Joker, someone who'll make Tony Stark an alcoholic again, someone who'll decide Wally West is the best Flash again, someone who'll reset everything somehow, some way.

Comics are nuts, but they're also driven by the nostalgia of a prior generations of readers. Right now, that nostalgia is early-to-mid 90s again - Spider-man clones, Venom symbiotes, Lois & Clark marriage, etc. - and One More Day's shift is still relatively fresh.

But ten years later, and plenty of readers still do miss the marriage... and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't one of them. A married Spider-man was the one I grew up with, and he was my role model as a kid in a family that lacked a good husband and father to steer it. He was the template I built a lot of my own new marriage off of. It was a marriage through thick and thin that inspired me, encouraged me, and made me vow to never stop fighting for the woman that I love.

And that's a bit more than nostalgia speaking.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Same people who did One More Day are still calling the shots. Pendulum always swings both ways eventually, and I'm not expecting it for another decade or more.

The vast majority of writers don't like writing Peter while he is married. This goes beyond the "same people who did One More Day are still calling the shots." And that actually isn't fully true anyway.

LionPride

Banned
I hope Marvel doesn't get a Geoff Johns who constantly tries to put his childhood love of comics into his writing. We get it, you love Barry Allen

No one gives a shit

Sadist

I find it more disheartening in regards to the comics that Spidey hasn't had a real meaningful love interest in years. I don't really miss the marriage part of Spider-Man (I do enjoy Renew your vows), but his connection with Mary-Jane more so. In the last ten years or so he only what, dated Carly Cooper and had a few one-night stands with Felicia? But those were never really going anywhere. Carly was a very... boring character and didn't bring anything exciting to the table.

The only thing Felicia was good for was that hilarious Daredevil story where Felicia lured Peter into bed everytime he didn't want to, but the first time he pursued her and she flatout denies him. And after a night of crimefighting she sleeps with Daredevil with Parker moping outside and grumbling "this is my supervillain origin". Got a legit laugh out of me.

Buckle

I hope Marvel doesn't get a Geoff Johns who constantly tries to put his childhood love of comics into his writing. We get it, you love Barry Allen

No one gives a shit
Thankfully we just got to wait about a decade or two and the pendulum will swing the other way and Wally will be the main Flash again.

Gotta hate it when legacy characters kick ass but they bring back their predecessor anyway.

Just finished watching it.

Best Spider-Man film ever.

This film is amazing. Not a false note.
I didn't like some of the goofy humor in the scenes with Michael Keaton and his men... especially the "I thought this was the gravity gun" bit. Too goofy in that context.

I also thought Zendaya was clearly just being set up for the next film, but they did it in a way that felt random and unnecessary.
But aside from those two things and a couple of minor quibbles, I agree with you it's the best spider-man film so far.
Also, that part where Keaton opens the door when Peter is expecting Liz... half the theatre gasped audibly haha

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do we know what the mid/post credit scenes are yet?

and if so can I get a PM? I dont give 2 fucks about spoilers.

I didn't like some of the goofy humor in the scenes with Michael Keaton and his men... especially the "I thought this was the gravity gun" bit. Too goofy in that context.

I also thought Zendaya was clearly just being set up for the next film, but they did it in a way that felt random and unnecessary.
But aside from those two things and a couple of minor quibbles, I agree with you it's the best spider-man film so far.
Also, that part where Keaton opens the door when Peter is expecting Liz... half the theatre gasped audibly haha

HEAVY SPOILERS

I accept it was a tad goofy at parts but those are the parts I loved most. I liked Vulture and his crew, I laughed at Spidey running through the suburbs going "This sucks!" I LOVED Pete trying to be intimidating with the Batman modulator. The film was liberal with these small moments that made you remember this is a young Spidey unlike what we've seen before on the big screen. Honestly, it was so good I'd go back and catch the next showing if I could.

The reveal of Vulture being Liz'a dad was really good. I didn't see that coming at all.

Zendaya was great in this, I agree she was mainly there to set up the next film, and I don't like how coy there were about the fact she's actually MJ, and I wish she played a bigger role.

I also didn't like the fact Aunt May found out a the end of the film, but it was pretty funny.

What did you think of the Iron Spidey desig? Did you catch the nod to Miles?

HEAVY SPOILERS

I accept it was a tad goofy at parts but those are the parts I loved most. I liked Vulture and his crew, I laughed at Spidey running through the suburbs going "This sucks!" I LOVED Pete trying to be intimidating with the Batman modulator. The film was liberal with these small moments that made you remember this is a young Spidey unlike what we've seen before on the big screen. Honestly, it was so good I'd go back and catch the next showing if I could.

The reveal of Vulture being Liz'a dad was really good. I didn't see that coming at all.

Zendaya was great in this, I agree she was mainly there to set up the next film, and I don't like how coy there were about the fact she's actually MJ, and I wish she played a bigger role.

I also didn't like the fact Aunt May found out a the end of the film, but it was pretty funny.

What did you think of the Iron Spidey desig? Did you catch the nod to Miles?
Oh, don't get me wrong! I *loved* the humor throughout -- just in that one context it didn't work for me.

Re: iron spidey I prefer the regular stark-made suit to be honest. The other one just came off as unnecessarily shiny and embellished. I didn't catch the nod to miles though! What was it?

Oh, don't get me wrong! I *loved* the humor throughout -- just in that one context it didn't work for me.

Re: iron spidey I prefer the regular stark-made suit to be honest. The other one just came off as unnecessarily shiny and embellished. I didn't catch the nod to miles though! What was it?

Fair enough.

The nod was Donald Glover/Aaron Davis saying "I don't want those weapons on the street either. I got a nephew in that area." Or something along those lines. Which just HAS TO BE a nod to Miles Morales, who Kevin Feige in the lead up to the release has confirmed exists in the MCU.

Cuburt

I'm holding strong to avoid spoilers. It's so close to release, I just want some more Spider-Man now, especially every time I hear it's good.

donald glovers character is his uncle

Top Bottom