• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
ULTRAAAAA COMBOOOOOOO

2825216-spider_man_wolverine_fist_bump_aug2011.jpg

No Wolverine. Thanks a lot, Fox.

theWB27

What vision? They let him have free reign over two films, and all they wanted in the third was the most requested fan favorite villain to finally show up instead of some crusty old man with wings. Hardly gives him an excuse for the Uncle Ben retcon, emo Peter, more ridiculous MJ drama, and the plot if you can call it that.

Fair enough : )

I feel like they original set up Black Panther to "be" Spider-Man and they will just subjugate him to a secondary chess piece for Tony and Cap to fight over.

Well, we know from the leaks that Marvel DID at one time have a version of Civil War with Spidey included. I gotta imagine they've been having someone in their anonymous writers' squad trying to blend the most recent drafts with that older one to find a way to make it work with both Peter and T'Challa.

but no, I don't think Civil War is going to be as much of a showcase for Black Panther as we thought it was when it first got announced.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hope it's not mike, but if it is him and it is not Donald, I will be so pissed; he would be PERFECT.

Yeah that's only if they choose that spidey, if not then it's all good. It's just a pipe dream after all. I do wish they would keep Garfield, but I know it won't happen though :/

Epcott

Kinda wanna see post college Tobey Spidey minus another awkward Highschool origin story. But kinda want a new Spidey to erase the bad tasted of SM3 and bring back Gobby.

So what does Marvel get out of this? The potential added bonus of having Spiderman in MCU movies? Did they really need that? Those movies made bank without him.

I'm a bit confused by the arrangements.

They make sure the brand isn't tarnished, and improving the Spidey movies means raking in more dough for them too. Plus, Spidey in the Avengers? That's hundreds of millions more guaranteed. Besides, RDJ is getting older, they need someone to headline these film after he's out. Spidey is perfect for that.

Do we know for sure if this Spiderman would even be Parker?

If they wanted to really differentiate this from the ASM timeline, maybe get somebody who could never be mistaken for Garfield?

Maybe NOW is the time?

1h5xJgw.jpg

He's not just some low-rent network TV star. He's got wide appeal.

3N16MA

Banned
So what does Marvel get out of this? The potential added bonus of having Spiderman in MCU movies? Did they really need that? Those movies made bank without him.

I guess it is the best they could hope for since it looks like Sony has no plans of letting go of the franchise.

At least it opens up more opportunities within the MCU and drive those films to even higher grosses.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, Garfield is the one great thing about the ASM films. I will miss him.

Completely agree with you. I hope they decide for Garfield in the end, but as long as it's not Tobey Maguire I'll be fine.

If they wanted to really differentiate this from the ASM timeline, maybe get somebody who could never be mistaken for Garfield?

Maybe NOW is the time?

1h5xJgw.jpg

YES YES YES

Well, Spider-Man will be showing up in just about as many mainline MCU productions as possible now. Marvel still gets the money from those films and having the most marketable Marvel character on scene will do nothing but boost sales.

Abounder

Banned

They can kill off expensive contracts from the Avengers (Robert Downey Jr.), and invest in a younger and cheaper Spiderverse cast. Leads a new generation and phase of Marvel heroes.

JNA

Banned

Maybe NOW is the time?

1h5xJgw.jpg

My man! :D

A_Gorilla

Banned
Please recast that loser Garfield ASAP. I don't care who at this point. Someone, ANYONE other than that smug-looking assclown!

Salsa

Hardly Webb's fault. They were competently directed movies and he got really good performances out of the actors.

? how is the director not at fault when a film sucks this way? not saying he was solely responsible, but they werent well directed at all

they were both awful, and ASM2 might be the worst superhero film ive ever seen

also, im guessing he'll appear in cap 3 at this point

Isn't it because Marvel makes bank that they don't have to "win" the whole package of the deal? Spidey is highly lucrative to Marvel even without movies, because those goddamn merchandising profits.

Even if they don't get the movie profits, by ensuring Sony doesn't fuck up Spidey's brand with shitty movies, and elevating Spidey via MCU integration, Spidey makes money for Marvel in the long run.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Yeah, seems like a lot to put at risk branding-wise, associating with craptastic Sony for something they can still snatch away if they get some momentum.

All I want his Spider-man's story to be established.. I don't want another damn reboot.

Now all we need is to snag Hugh Jackman for Wolverine... Then when he meets Quicksilver in the MCU they have a one-liner and have them give a weird look at each other.

I think its an actual case of storytelling above all else (as opposed to just PR speak) and maybe a bit of brand protection.

Maybe NOW is the time?

1h5xJgw.jpg

I actually am down!

Well, Spider-Man will be showing up in just about as many mainline MCU productions as possible now. Marvel still gets the money from those films and having the most marketable Marvel character on scene will do nothing but boost sales.

The fact that they made sure to remind everyone that SOny still owns and distributes and will make the money off the solo Spidey films is why I thought this would never happen though. I guess that's why it's confusing. Sony would basically be loaning Spidey out to Marvel to build him up in their MCU movies, and they hand him back to Sony (who still has creative control, or will Sony basically "hire" Feige?) and Sony reaps the rewards of having bigger solo Spiderman movies? Marvel has to be getting of cut of the solo stuff, no?

Ridley327

I suspect that's a bit of lip service. I can't imagine Sony not wanting some level of creative guidance for the new films, especially when they've done such a poor job of replicating the MCU magic themselves. So yes, they have "final say," but I doubt they'd deviate much from whatever Feige suggests.

They specifically mention Peter Parker in the press release.

"Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future," added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

Good point, didn't catch this.

Unless the future of Parker's story is to die tragically in the opening act, and for this new Spiderman to step in...

I'm stretching, I know. But THE STARS ARE ALIGNING.

? how is the director not at fault when a film sucks? not saying he was solely responsible

they were both awful, and ASM2 might be the worst superhero film ive ever seen

For starters most people seemed to have issues with the writing/story. I don't think it was badly directed at all, in fact I thought the acting was great and I loved the look of it. That's why I said it was competently directed but I realize that some people let their hate flow over into every regard concerning elements of filmmaking.

Top Bottom