• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

I really don't get the Garfield hate...he was a great Spider-Man and honestly thought the Parker issues were more with the writing and direction than Garfield...

Some of the posts here seem pretty low too, even compared to the crap seen on Gaming side...

Ridley327

Couldn't imagine what Garfield is thinking right now. Gotta be some major disappointment.

He was probably done before this announcement. He was very vocal about his disappointment with how ASM2 turned out, which is the goddamned truth, but not the kind of thing the guys who are paying the bills actually want to hear out loud.

Prompto

Banned
I guess Garfield will have to settle with being rich, dating Emma Stone, and starring in Scorsese movies. Poor guy.

Someone fix this gif so we can use it

mcmahon-marvel-1414587450.gif

Salsa

The internet hate for the ASM movies has always blown me away. They're miles ahead of the original trilogy, which was nothing more than a power fantasy about unlikable people. Sure there are some plot holes from obvious reshoots and corporate checklists, but they're the best Spidey films to date and Garfield is Spider-Man.

or you know, opinions

but I realize that some people let their hate flow over into every regard concerning elements of filmmaking.

yeah, im just objectively wrong

oh you guys

Delio

I'm really sad Garfield and Dane Dehaan are gone. If only they could be brought over. Ah well I just hope the casting is on point for Peter.

Yeah I mean merchandise is potentially big, but they already had that, it's not like that is some coup here. Granted this gives them a chance to make those merchandise rights more valuable, but it's going to be at the expense of characters like BP who they own outright and could develop into huge stars (like they did with Guardians and Iron Man).

Having around a 40% cut of the proceeds on a guaranteed BILLION dollar movie in 2017 (just a guess, but I think I remember that number getting tossed around in one of the documents, right? Shit. I can't find the stories now) plus that merchandising is a pretty good deal. Plus the brand gets strengthened on top of that.

Marvel is a company that has capitalized on the audiences' thirst for branded experiences. Has almost redefined it so far as filmmaking goes right now. Spider-Man is their most well-known brand, STILL. They get a chance to revitalize that brand, get a cut of the billion it's guaranteed to make at the box office, AND have the character appear in their own films on top of that.

It's a solid deal for them.

was he really hated? I thought everyone thought he was a good spiderman in a pair of spiderman movies
I'll say that for myself, I loved Garfield and I thought he played a solid Spidey. I think most of the flaws with ASM and its particular Spidey were the product of poor script-writing.

Dalek

Great news-but I'm not entirely happy about the blurb regarding Sonys creative control. I'd feel much better about Disney having total control and Sony getting a big cut of profits.

Regarding JK Simmons, I too heard the Howard Stern interview and now I wonder if JK will be in Civil War? It would make sense to have JJJ ranting and raving about the Registration Act-or it's MCU counterpart.

Reasons it won't be Donald Glover

-The press release itself already says Peter Parker
-He's too old
-Will be even older when he would first appear
-While talented (Troy was my favorite char on Community), he's kind of a weirdo
-Marvel is looking for team players, and Glover already bailed on Sony once (Sony makes Community)

They better not waste a movie on another freakin' origin story
I don't see Marvel wasting a lot of time on another origin movie. They know that pretty much everyone at this points knows his origin. He'll probably appear in a MCU film as a small cameo already as Spider-Man or have his solo film brush over his origin in 5 minutes.

Top Bottom