• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

bye.gif

I'm not the one that just suggested Spider-Man's inclusion in the MCU will give his starring film a 1.3 billion+ bump over The Avengers.

Well I meant that any hype people had for avatar sequels is pretty much over now. Disney has too many premium franchises that people are far more interested in from Star Wars to Avengers w/Spider-Man to Guardians of the Galaxy. Avatar sequels will easily be outgrossed by the Star Wars sequel trilogy and Infinity Wars and they will probably cut the 4th film and just finish it off at Avatar 3. Cameron should be kissing Iger's feet that Pandora will be taking up real estate at Walt Disney World.

I could totally see Logan Lerman being Spider-man. Peter Parker is roughly 5'10 in the comic book.

Lerman is 5'9. Brown hair, can look like a nerd, just need to buff up a tiny bit and bam. Spider-man.

Perks of being a wallflower made me realize he'd be a great Peter. Also The Movie Flash is in that movie too

Having around a 40% cut of the proceeds on a guaranteed BILLION dollar movie in 2017 (just a guess, but I think I remember that number getting tossed around in one of the documents, right? Shit. I can't find the stories now) plus that merchandising is a pretty good deal. Plus the brand gets strengthened on top of that.

Marvel is a company that has capitalized on the audiences' thirst for branded experiences. Has almost redefined it so far as filmmaking goes right now. Spider-Man is their most well-known brand, STILL. They get a chance to revitalize that brand, get a cut of the billion it's guaranteed to make at the box office, AND have the character appear in their own films on top of that.

It's a solid deal for them.

That makes a ton of sense for them. I guess Sony has to be banking on the movies doing a LOT better at the BO with Marvel than without. To put it in very basic terms, would you say that essentially Sony is paying Marvel a certain percentage of the movie's box office in order to have their creative team make the movies for them?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone remember Shailene Woodley? Think she has a place in the new Spiderman?

lololololololololol

Happy because Spidey chilling with Avengers and Guardians and yay

Sad because, i'll admit, i liked the TASM flaws and all and especially Garfield #bringbackGarfield

Still, overall glad to see Web Head home at last. Bring in Logan Lerman or Dylan O Brian.

Mudcrab

Regarding JK Simmons, I too heard the Howard Stern interview and now I wonder if JK will be in Civil War? It would make sense to have JJJ ranting and raving about the Registration Act-or it's MCU counterpart.

I had no idea I needed this and now I do and it can happen.

Sheroking

I want a mid-30s established Spider-Man so we can get over all the high school drama stuff:

Think an established Spider-Man would have made himself known when aliens invaded his city.

Spider-Man is not an adult character.

Yea I remember a lot of ppl saying things like he was a good spiderman personality etc. in the other threads.

He was essentially the perfect Spider-Man. Ten times more like Peter Parker than McGuire ever was.

His scripts just sucked.

rexor0717

Regarding JK Simmons, I too heard the Howard Stern interview and now I wonder if JK will be in Civil War? It would make sense to have JJJ ranting and raving about the Registration Act-or it's MCU counterpart.

Ok, this has to happen. It would make me smile for like 5 minutes in the theater.

Salsa

him first appearing on an unrelated MCU film (guessing cap 3) means no origin story + possibly older spiderman and dude this is already great

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dylan or Logan would work, I wonder who they really have in mind...

Please please please Fox make a deal do something pleeeeeeeeease

Honestly? I wouldn't mind X-Men just staying it's own thing. They've got enough characters, and have been doing enough storylines to keep things exciting.

Maybe do one crossover movie when the superhero trend is on the downswing, and then immediately erase it from continuity.

Well I meant that any hype people had for avatar sequels is pretty much over now. Disney has too many premium franchises that people are far more interested in from Star Wars to Avengers w/Spider-Man to Guardians of the Galaxy. Avatar sequels will easily be outgrossed by the Star Wars sequel trilogy and Infinity Wars and they will probably cut the 4th film and just finish it off at Avatar 3. Cameron should be kissing Iger's feet that Pandora will be taking up real estate at Walt Disney World.

It's honestly amazing how decade after decade, record after broken record, people keep underestimating James Cameron's films. Look, I'm sure the new Avengers films and Star Wars films and Civil War will do bonkers money. But you just don't go betting against Cameron. It's like betting against gravity.

Shadownet

Banned
I want a mid-30s established Spider-Man so we can get over all the high school drama stuff:

c117ecd8acbe616668fea6528829433a.jpeg

Dude... I can totally get behind this..

He look like how I would imagine an older Peter Parker. Plus he's also gradually grown into a really good actor.

Yeah Dylan is best choice

He look like a generic white dude. Even more so than Garfield IMO.

Edit: oh he was in Maze Runner. I enjoyed the movie. But he's alright..

That makes a ton of sense for them. I guess Sony has to be banking on the movies doing a LOT better at the BO with Marvel than without. To put it in very basic terms, would you say that essentially Sony is paying Marvel a certain percentage of the movie's box office in order to have their creative team make the movies for them?

That's basically the gist of it. Sony's technically got oversight, but this deal wouldn't even happen if Sony higher-ups thought that oversight was to be trusted. You're not gonna hear Sony chirping unless the Marvel involvement somehow doesn't move the needle either financially or critically. I can't see that actually playing out, myself.

Top Bottom