• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

It's honestly amazing how decade after decade, record after broken record, people keep underestimating James Cameron's films. Look, I'm sure the new Avengers films and Star Wars films and Civil War will do bonkers money. But you just don't go betting against Cameron. It's like betting against gravity.
I agree with Sculli, Alfonso Cuaron is the best director mentioned in this thread.

AND THEY SAID IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN

I ALWAYS BELIEVED

doom and wolverine next!

It's probably a long shot, but Fox has what? 2 confirmed Xmen movies with this current cast? That gives them a few years to see how this deal turns out for Sony and then maybe they can approach Marvel for something similar....

Eh I dunno, having the same actors makes it more... fluid. I think one of the reasons it was awesome to see a crossover was to see the same actors AS those characters in the same movie a la Ironman, Thor, and Cap. I don't think i'll be as wow'd when I see Spiderman in the movie as actor X.

It's also why I won't care as much about a Batman vs Superman live movie - without Bale, it just feels like a random crossover of ppl i don't really know.

Just gotta note tho - why didn't they keep this secret?? This would have blown everyone's pants off with just a hint at the end of the movie. God, it would have been glorious the reactions.

EhoaVash

..I feel bad for garfield. Dude was an interesting.peter parker

Anyway I hope this means that the stupid sinister six.movie is scrapped

Jarmel

Banned
I am curious though whether this means that Spider-Man characters can be used in the MCU. The wording seems to imply a sort of one-way street with MCU characters can be used in a Spider-Man film but not necessarily vice-versa.

Ithil

Well Chris Evans only has like 1 or 2 movies left on his contract and has said he's retiring from acting after that so there has been speculation on what Marvel may do with the Captain America character should he not return.

So take from that what you will

Source him saying those words.

..I feel bad for garfield. Dude was an interesting.peter parker

Anyway I hope this means that the stupid sinister six.movie is scrapped

I would assume this means Sony's entire Spidey Verse is scrapped? Or maybe getting seriously reworked in partnership with Marvel.

I really hope Spidey being included doesn't push everyone else to the wayside. I want more lesser known heroes to keep getting the spotlight, Spidey might overshadow them

It's probably a long shot, but Fox has what? 2 confirmed Xmen movies with this current cast? That gives them a few years to see how this deal turns out for Sony and then maybe they can approach Marvel for something similar....

Yeah, everyone is envious of Marvel's success and want to be in that cool boat. Sony just bought themselves a room and the rest will want to ride it before they're dragged into it.

Just gotta note tho - why didn't they keep this secret?

There is no way a deal like this gets done and someone doesn't leak it while the contract is being signed. This would have never stayed secret within a million years.

It's probably why the announcement was a press-release at 8pm on a Monday night. Because for a deal this huge, you can't be teasing people and renting out theaters and turning it into a livestreamed nerd orgy. You've gotta beat the trade magazines to the punch, because they WILL have the story within hours of the deal getting done.

Dai101

Banned
Well Chris Evans only has like 1 or 2 movies left on his contract and has said he's retiring from acting after that so there has been speculation on what Marvel may do with the Captain America character should he not return.

So take from that what you will

I can't belive this bullshit is still getting posted.

They don't need to cast Spidey to have him post-credits for AoU. They could have anyone in the suit and/or CG it and just have him not speak.

Actually I see it being IM recruiting Peter and giving him the Iron Spider suit and Cap getting BP on his side.

Spidey/BP showdown? Hell yeah, I'll sign up for that.

burgervan

They should get Tye Sheridan. Kid can act and he's not a pretty boy.

Tye+Sheridan+Forger+Premiere+Arrivals+2014+1twgeZyuzNnl.jpg

Source him saying those words.

Here's the original quote

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/26/chris-evans-quit-acting-captain-america-winter-soldier

"If I'm acting at all, it's going to be under Marvel contract, or I'm going to be directing," said Evans. "I can't see myself pursuing acting strictly outside of what I'm contractually obligated to do."

Then he rescinded it (which I did not know happened, sorry)

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/01/captain-america-chris-evans-not-quitting-acting

"By no means am I planning on retiring," he said, calling his previous comments "kind of a silly statement". By way of caveat, he added: "I certainly am going to try and focus a bit more on directing at this point."

Neoxon

I am curious though where this means that Spider-Man characters can be used in the MCU. The wording seems to imply a sort of one-way street with MCU characters can be used in a Spider-Man film but not necessarily vice-versa.
Spider-Man will be in an MCU movie before his own, likely Civil War. It's a two-way street.

Top Bottom