• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Now if only Marvel/Disney can get back the Fantastic Four, all will be right in the world. Fox can keep the X-Men.

3N16MA

Banned
I honestly don't care about this (probably because I enjoyed every Spiderman movies), but Neogaf seems to love that, so I'm glad for you guys!

But could someone please explain to me :
-what Sony gains from this move (they will lose money because they have to pay Marvel, no?)
-what Marvel wins from this?

Sony stands to gain from the larger audience that the stand alone Spidey films will attract. By appearing in the MCU they instantly re energize the franchise and have Kevin Feige overlooking the direction of the films.

Disney/Marvel gains perhaps their most popular and iconic character that can be used to boost their already successful franchises and drive more merchandise. It opens up opportunities with Civil War and Infinity War.

I just realized something....

People...we're all a bunch of nerds who know this info before the general public will know/care.

Can you imagine being at a midnight showing to a big movie and the Civil War teaser plays?

With IM, CA, BP, SM?

O_O!!!

antonz

The leaks specifically said marvel was tired of origin telling and movies being all about romance.

I think its pretty safe we get a well established Peter Parker who they will find someway to explain why he hasn't been seen around

Merc_

It's only 8 months to have a better MCU. Worth the wait.

Actually, it's pretty shit that new characters and new stories have to be pushed around to make room for yet another incarnation of a character that has already had multiple movies made.

Neoxon

The leaks specifically said marvel was tired of origin telling and movies being all about romance.

I think its pretty safe we get a well established Peter Parker who they will find someway to explain why he hasn't been seen around
The leaks also suggested that Marvel wants to recast young. They're probably gonna play it like Spectacular Spider-Man did. He's been at web-slinging for a while, but not for too long.

xaosslug

whats the back up plan if the Maze runner guy isn't chosen name two other actors or more who can be spidey/parker?

Ansel Elgort seems like he'd be right up Marvel/Disney's ally - not really known enough to command a huge paycheck, but has enough of a resume that they won't be a complete hot mess?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So what's the new schedule for MCU movies?

XP3h7ac.png

Cynar

Actually, it's pretty shit that new characters and new stories have to be pushed around to make room for yet another incarnation of a character that has already had multiple movies made.
This is the first and hopefully proper MCU version of Spiderman. That's a huge deal! He's one of the most important marvel characters and he's finally home. We will still get those other stories so nothing is lost.

They're not switching to Miles Morales guys. Peter Parker is too valuable.

I don't think we'll ever see a superhero movie that doesn't star the default character. In movies I think we'll always get Hal Jordan, Bruce Wayne, Barry Allen, Clark Kent, Tony Stark, and Peter Parker because that's what the casual audience knows even though the casual audience doesn't know Flash and Green Lantern in general.

Neoxon

So what's the new schedule for MCU movies?
Captain America: Civil War - May 6, 2016
Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - May 5, 2017
Spider-Man - July 28, 2017
Thor: Ragnarök - November 3, 2017
Avengers: Infinity War (Part 1) - May 4, 2018
Black Panther - July 6, 2018
Captain Marvel - November 2, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War (Part 2) - May 3, 2019
Inhumans - July 12, 2019

How is this going to impact all of the world building concerning the terrine mists and inhumans in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Inhuman has now been delayed until 2019 and I doubt the show is even going to be on the air at that point.

Whatever world-building SHIELD is doing/will do will continue to happen. The show will continue to air until then more than likely if its ratings stay anywhere near what they are right now. Even if it does go away, they'll just transition the main characters they need (Skye, Coulson, May, etc.) to the MCU. Inhumans will be fine. It will probably be to Phase 3 what Ant-Man is to Phase 2. A movie that takes place after the Avengers, but still matters going forward.

PsychBat!

Banned
Captain America: Civil War - May 6, 2016
Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - May 5, 2017
Spider-Man - July 28, 2017
Thor: Ragnarök - November 3, 2017
Avengers: Infinity War (Part 1) - May 4, 2018
Black Panther - July 6, 2018
Captain Marvel - November 2, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War (Part 2) - May 3, 2019
Inhumans - July 12, 2019

Hey (hey) What's the matter with your head? yeah...
Hey (hey) What's the matter with your mind and all your sighing?

antonz

People who keep shouting Miles Morales forget officially until he appears Spiderman doesn't even exist in the Marvel Movie Universe. You have to start with Peter Parker even if you want Morales eventually in because Morales is inspired to take on the whole gig because of Parker.

JaxSteel

Neo Member
I'm hoping that they do what the The Incredible Hulk did and give the gist of his origins/previous happenings in a few minute long credits montage.

They could actually very loosely tie in that montage with most of the first Amazing Spider-Man if they wanted to but they'd likely have to retcon some minor things.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
assuredly brought up already, but...

Agents of Shield and the Netflix shows could use some Spidey characters :p

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My morning today;
Wake up
Make coffee
Read headlines
Open entertainment news
Read 'Spider-Man confirmed for MCU'