• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

tuna_love

Banned
Now cast this guy. Do it.

feature-image-dylan-obrien.jpg

Is this the dude from Teen Wolf and Maze Runner?

Very curious to see if the new Spider-Man movie ends being more Marvel Studios Spider-Man or more Sony Pictures Spider-Man.

I know they say Feige will consult but Sony has final creative control. Have to imagine they'll want to listen, though.

Hot damn. I just realized something. So, the reveal in Civil War hinges on the character being a known entity within New York. Which is a problem - they need to establish the character to create stakes - but he can't appear in any film other than Civil War.

So why not dodge the movie problem, entirely? There's some other MCU action happening in the NY area, currently in preproduction...

Use the Netflix shows. I imagine showing the character is still out of boundaries with Sony. But what about the name right? Just drop the name of Spiderman throughout the Jessica Jones series - leading into a reveal at the start of Civil War, unmasking later in the movie. Could even do the same with Agents of SHIELD.

Isn't Civil War just about to start shooting? I'm not sure if BP's role in that will be too diminished. It would require a big re-write, no? I think Spidey will have a new part there, not take BP's spot. But I do think it probably means a smaller role for BP going forward.

Anas

Banned
So what happens to Sinister Six and Aunt May spinoff (lol)? Marvel gonna oversee those too, or they gonna be a separate universe from the main Spiderman films?

oh god, not Aunt May :'(
they'll cancelled so far, if the MCU got expanded for a fourth phase, maybe we can see them. maybe in Spider-Man 2 REBOOT

Neoxon

Wait does this mean we FINALLY get Kingpin in a Spider-Man movie???? I've been waiting my whole life for this!!

Kingpinm.png
Kingpin will be established in the Daredevil Netflix series, & he looks like he's gonna steal the show. So yeah, I can see this happening, more so with making Spider-Man being the cinematic gate into the street-level MCU.

Isn't Civil War just about to start shooting? I'm not sure if BP's role in that will be too diminished. It would require a big re-write, no? I think Spidey will have a new part there, not take BP's spot. But I do think it probably means a smaller role for BP going forward.

Going by the leaked Sony emails, we know that Sony at least had talks with Marvel ages ago about bringing the character in for Civil War. I have full confidence that bid involved a version of the Civil War script that involved Spiderman.

The real question is if a version exists that has both Spiderman AND Black Panther.

Ithil

People seem to think Marvel can just drop everything done for Civil War right before it starts shooting and conjure Spider-Man, cast, designed and written in, in a flash, to be the new tritagonist.

Or that they've somehow had a second "secret" preproduction going on all these months they can switch to on a dime.

For those who didn't keep up with the news, here's everything that happened with Spider-Man.

Good summary. Not much new, here's the bullet points:

Spider-Man will appear in MCU
July 28 2017 for the Spider-Man film
Co-produced by Feige & Marvel along with Amy Pascal
Sony will continue to finance, distribute and own Spider-Man
Sony Pictures & Marvel can integrate any characters from Spider-Man universe into MCU, and vice versa

Drayco21

Nope. I'll never rest until i see Galactus proper in a movie, i'm talking about this proper:

Plus, once they get the FF rights back, they can bring in Annihilus to make an Annihilation movie to introduce Richard Rider, fix Star-Lord's characterization and adapt the best Marvel event.

orochi91

Good summary. Not much new, here's the bullet points:

Spider-Man will appear in MCU
July 28 2017 for the Spider-Man film
Co-produced by Feige & Marvel along with Amy Pascal
Sony will continue to finance, distribute and own Spider-Man
Sony Pictures & Marvel can integrate any characters from Spider-Man universe into MCU, and vice versa

Pascal is still involved with Sony?

I thought she got axed last week?

Very curious to see if the new Spider-Man movie ends being more Marvel Studios Spider-Man or more Sony Pictures Spider-Man.

I know they say Feige will consult but Sony has final creative control. Have to imagine they'll want to listen, though.
I think Sony is going to completely back off and let Marvel do what they do.

MattyG

Banned
Oh. I knew it didn't look like him, but the staff kind of looked like his crown. Thought it might be a little wink and nudge from Marvel without actually infringing on any copyrights.

Hopefully we'll see him on the big screen someday... and not just as a big space cloud.

People seem to think Marvel can just drop everything done for Civil War right before it starts shooting and conjure Spider-Man, cast, designed and written in, in a flash, to be the new tritagonist.

Or that they've somehow had a second "secret" preproduction going on all these months they can switch to on a dime.

I don't think that at all. I'm simply saying I don't think they'll simply replace BP with Spidey as it seems some here are suggesting. The reason most think Spidey will debut in Civil War is because the press release says he'll debut in MCU before his solo film, and that would mean in either Civil War, Strange, or GotG 2. Of those, Civil War is the only one that makes sense.

Top Bottom