• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Thunderbolts

Directed by James Gunn

Starring:

DafoeSpiderMan.jpg

Conan-san

On the one hand, solid, no more Amazing Spiderman with it's half-cocked everything. On the other, I really, REALLY don't like the idea of Sony having much of any say in the production of the movie beyond "action", "Cut" and "We're done, give us the rest of the commission money".

Pachimari

I don't think they would even do a quick sizzle of his origin. Remember he'll debut in another guys movie, highly likely Captain America which will already be majorly focused on the governing of heroes.

They've been discussing the deal for a long time, and have been very close for the past month or so. I doubt it closed until just recently.
Wasn't there a tweet saying it was finished 38 weeks ago?

Conan-san

Also, about 99.999999% of everyone knows where Spider-Man came from so it's a waste of time to devote an hour of a movie to showing it a thrid time.

Please go after Gambit next Disney!

5037fe001f2de.jpg

They wont just buy one character. I think Fox already started making a movie.

X-men to Marvel and we are done.

Quick montage of origin at the start of the film. People have seen it enough to get it, look at The Incredible Hulk film.

I dont mean about an Origin movie. I wanna know if they continue where they left off and cast Garfield again or if they cast somebody new, fresh, cool and who can act.

"By day I'm just an ordinary forensic scientist". SMH.

"When I was a child I saw my [Uncle Ben] killed by [a burglar]. [I felt responsible] for [his] murder. Then a [Spider bite] made me the impossible. To the outside world I am an ordinary [freelance photographer/science genius], but secretly I use my [Spider powers] crime and find others like me. And one day, I'll find who killed my [Uncle] and get justice for my [Aunt May]. I am the Spiderman."

Also, about 99.999999% of everyone knows where Spider-Man came from so it's a waste of time to devote an hour of a movie to showing it a thrid time.

Yeah, I'd love to see them just dive right in and be like "Oh, hey, Spiderman! You've been heroing about for a decade."

Give us adult Spider-man, we've had gangly teenage Spiderman for 5 movies already.

Neoxon

They wont just buy one character. I think Fox already started making a movie.

X-Men & Fantastic Four to Marvel and we are done.

I dont mean about an Origin movie. I wanna know if they continue where they left off and cast Garfield again or if they cast somebody new, fresh, cool and who can act.
FTFY

Also, they're recasting (no Andrew Garfield) & are skipping the origin story.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I approve of this (re)union. It's a shame that Garfield's not coming back though - arguably the best thing about the last two movies, especially since his romance with Stone was the golden nugget in the turd that TASM2.

I'm actually fanboy squealing a lot on the inside, I swear.

Slightly off-topic: I posted this news on Facebook and of course, taking a film studies major, it then derails into a heated long 12 comment, wall-of-text debate on which Spiderman cinematic series was objectively better. Ah my life.

shink

Good news for Marvel and Sony it seems.

A shame ASM reboot didn't turn out that great, ASM1 with Garfield and Stone was my favourite Spider-Man movie but I was hugely disappointed with ASM2.

I think people are overblowing the impact this will have on the other heroes. Marvel still has the motivation to make these other characters and films as good as they can be. Can never have too much money and successful franchises. They'll still do right by Captain Marvel and Black Panther.

IndustryX

Spiderman is about the only superhero movie I have any interest in these days, they have milked the superhero universe to death lately.

Jigorath

Banned
I just think back to Comic Con 2011 and Andrew Garfield coming up in costume and spilling his guts about his love of Spider-Man and how touching it was and then seeing how far things have been taken since that point for better or worse. I think he could have been a really great Spider-Man if he had been given more to work with.

Oh and Marvel still has a huge bar to clear when it comes to Peter's love life. I doubt they'll get much better than Emma Stone and Garfield.

If anyone got screwed by the news it's Garfield. He did a great job in the role and he clearly has a lot of passion for the franchise. It's a shame the actual movies failed him.

They announced all of the dates for phase 3 not too long ago, so if this deal was actually made 38 weeks ago then they wouldn't have pushed back all of the phase 3 movies like they just announced.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Great news for everyone, now we can have the real Civil War adaptation.

xsarien

daedsiluap
And yeah. Marvel/Sony should actively court Grant Gustin for the role. If I were him I'd think it would be the perfect response to being shafted out of The Flash movie for what appears to be nothing more than REASONS. He does a great job on that show.

Timbuktu

If anyone got screwed by the news it's Garfield. He did a great job in the role and he clearly has a lot of passion for the franchise. It's a shame the actual movies failed him.

It's a shame for Garfield, but he is getting into his thirties now and can get onto better things.

Top Bottom