• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

And yeah. Marvel/Sony should actively court Grant Gustin for the role. If I were him I'd think it would be the perfect response to being shafted out of The Flash movie for what appears to be nothing more than REASONS. He does a great job on that show.

He was handed the lead in a television series at a relatively early stage of his career by Warner. I'm sure he feels "shafted".

Yeah. Apparently Sony's execs are very traditionalist since they are located in Japan. Garfield, being a relatively young American, didn't know how to act around them, so they took his ignorance as disrespect and wanted him out.

He's not american.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Yeah. Apparently Sony's execs are very traditionalist since they are located in Japan. Garfield, being a relatively young American, didn't know how to act around them, so they took his ignorance as disrespect and wanted him out.

Whatever the politics were, I thought he was really good. His Peter Parker was just more *fun*, which is, like, the core of Spider-Man. I'm actually a little bummed that he got saddled with a *decent* first movie and a pile of hot garbage for a second one.

Jburton

Banned
Sony does very well out of this deal, they keep Spiderman, gain from his promotion in other Marvel movies and it seems other Marvel characters will also appear in Spiderman movies from Sony.

Wait so Sony still owns the IP?

Yeah. Sony is basically hiring Feige and Marvel to make the next Spiderman movie for them, and their payment is in the form of a percentage of the box office I would guess. They must be banking that the inclusion of Spidey in the MCU (and potentially better quality film) will make up the difference and then some.

xaosslug

And yeah. Marvel/Sony should actively court Grant Gustin for the role. If I were him I'd think it would be the perfect response to being shafted out of The Flash movie for what appears to be nothing more than REASONS. He does a great job on that show.

people thinking he's the 'omg, perf choice!' need to get themselves together. He's not happening.

Spider-Man should already be married in the MCU:

4189409-amazing_spider-man_renew_your_vows_2015.jpg
I'd be super on-board with this. (Minus the kid.)

people thinking he's the 'omg, perf choice!' need to get themselves together. He's not happening.

Him happening/not happening and being the perfect choice aren't mutually exclusive. He can be the right choice and still not happen. And I, along with others, think he'd be a great choice, even if it won't happen.

Garfield is actually 31, and he's from UK.

As I said, my main point there is about the way he acted with the execs.

Bold One

Yeah. Sony is basically hiring Feige and Marvel to make the next Spiderman movie for them, and their payment is in the form of a percentage of the box office I would guess. They must be banking that the inclusion of Spidey in the MCU (and potentially better quality film) will make up the difference and then some.

Just woke up to this, but it makes sense, Spidey's net worth dwarfs the avengers by some margin, Sony gets decent films, Marvel get a star quarter back for its MCU. Everybody wins I suppose.

So this is probably why JK Simmons hesitated when they were asking him about reprising his role. They might have let him in on this deal before and told him they want him back.

Korigama

Pretty sure they would've gotten rid of Garfield anyway to avoid any confusion concerning the ASM films' relevance, now that they're rebooting again.

Alienous

I'd love for Jameson (played by Simmons of course) to make a cameo in Civil War. Like a "How the fuck did we miss the alien invasion story" cameo. Maybe a soft retcon where the Bugle got destroyed in the Avengers.

*Gasp* Maybe he'll come up with the "Age of Ultron" headline.

Considering the downward trend of Spider-Man grosses, and the fact the ASM2 probably barely broke even at the box office, they're probably not wrong. If the 60-40 split that was leaked in the e-mails is true, then they'd probably make more money as long as the movies gross over a billion at the box office. And unless Marvel completely fucks this up somehow, there's no way this movie is coming in at under a billion.

Yeah. Apparently Sony's execs are very traditionalist since they are located in Japan. Garfield, being a relatively young Brit, didn't know how to act around them, so they took his ignorance as disrespect and wanted him out.

So instead of educating him, they say "Fuck him?"

What a bunch of sanctimonious pricks.

So Andrew Garfield is out?

A damn shame, he just didn't get the opportunity to become the best Spidey he could be...

Ah well, wonder who they'll cast now?

LaNaranja

What? No way. Gustin is perfect as The Flash and we get to see him for an hour every week. If he became Spider-Man we would see him for two hours every two years. No thanks.

Gorillaz

my only problem is if this fucks up the plans with black panther now. Was hoping they were going to do a different twist on the story of CW.

tuna_love

Banned
I never really notice peoples hair in movies but Garfield's hair was all I could concentrate on in those movies. Just so big or something.

Mxrz

I don't want Spidy jobbing to any movie Avengers, or anyone for that matter. None of the movies have really captured just how amazing his powers can be, or how clever he's been at using them.

Spiderman basically has the best Marvel villains outside of Doom, so that's a pretty big pick up. Serial killer Carnage in the Disney MCU would be entertaining, but doubt it ever happens

antonz

So instead of educating him, they say "Fuck him?"

What a bunch of sanctimonious pricks.

sernewarfare has it wrong. Sony was hosting a very prestigious Executive Dinner attended by all the top Brass etc. Gardfield was supposed to be one of the Guests of Honor. He called only an hour before the event andHe basically tells Sony sorry Im not coming.

You don't stand up your boss let alone the Boss of all the bosses like that unless is a life or death emergency. Dude just didn't want to be there and shit in Kaz's cheerios. Thats a no no.

Wedge7

Damn, just saw the news, so happy. My favorite superhero, finally back in the Marvel fold. Cant wait to see how whats gonna happen now.

I don't want Spidy jobbing to any movie Avengers, or anyone for that matter. None of the movies have really captured just how amazing his powers can be, or how clever he's been at using them.

Spiderman basically has the best Marvel villains outside of Doom, so that's a pretty big pick up. Serial killer Carnage in the Disney MCU would be entertaining, but doubt it ever happens

Dude, they cast Purple Man for Jessica Jones. Carnage is a definite possibility.

xsarien

daedsiluap

Not "perfect." JK Simmons as JJJ is perfect; Patrick Stewart as Xavier is perfect; RDJ as Stark? I file that under "perfect" too, but I have friends who disagree.

Gustin as Parker would be an absolutely *solid* choice. He can pull off the attractive nerd thing, with the right script can probably deliver on Spidey's one-liners, and at 24 he's young enough that he can likely stick around well beyond Phase 3 with no issues.

So what does this mean for the Sinister Six movie? Shelved or will that still be going ahead?

The real good news from this is that we won't be getting that rumoured Aunt May spy movie. Still not sure if that was ever real and if it was, what the hell Sony were smoking thinking that was a good idea.

I don't care what happens long as JK Simmons is still in as Jameson.

I'm actually more concerned over this than who they cast for anything else. I'm confident that Marvel will cast everyone else just fine but he is absolutely 100% flawless for the roll. Nobody else can or should ever play JJJ. When JK Simmons dies they should just use a CGI actor and voice clips.

Pachimari

Just watch, all this speculation about Civil War and Marvel gonna throw a curveball and debut Spidey in Doctor Strange.

Not that I've seen.
Somebody linked to it earlier, saying the deal were done 38 weeks ago. I can't remember what page.

Also The Sinister Six is apparently still getting shot. I hope it will stand on it's own and have no connections to the ASM films, now that Sony are dropping that universe anyway.

Game4life

Banned
Considering the downward trend of Spider-Man grosses, and the fact the ASM2 probably barely broke even at the box office, they're probably not wrong. If the 60-40 split that was leaked in the e-mails is true, then they'd probably make more money as long as the movies gross over a billion at the box office. And unless Marvel completely fucks this up somehow, there's no way this movie is coming in at under a billion.

What?

Top Bottom