• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Donos

Yeah, for Galactus and shit. They can keep X-Men, they're doing a good job right now.

PCTBvYk.jpg

That moment dropping on a big IMAX screen ... *drool*

(Galactus and the other Celestials arriving to fight Cancerverse - in Thanos Imperative)

Just imagine the Civil War teaser attached to Star Wars: TFA. Youtube will explode.
The earth will quake and stars will fall from the sky. Could there be a more hype day?

Nay, I say. True Hype will be achieved, and those of us mortals who choose to surrender ourselves will ascend gracefully to a higher plane.

Hype, we praise you.

We honor thy name and still our lips at your presence, o Hype.

Hype on earth as it Hypes in heaven.

Donos

If i would time travel 10 years back and say that Disney is going to own Marvel and Star Wars IP, people would put me into the looney bin. Crazy how that unfolded.

more excited for this than I thought I would be, but I'm sad to see the new IPs (BP and CM) getting bumped back even farther. Still

SPIDEY HYPE

Shit fucking sucks.

I love having him in the MCU but not at the expense of the fresher, groundbreaking entrances Black Panther and Captain Marvel will provide.

Gotta make room for yet another white male tho!

I get what you're saying but... C'mon man. This is Spider-Man.

YO gaf check out my Rap about this news

ok here I go

Yo yo spider man was bitten by spider now he shoot spider webs from his hands to save your bitch mathafucka while eating ice cream chocolate flavor mathafucka marvel got him back now im eating sandwich made by my ex wife yes im 8 years old but i got ex wife mathafucka you don't know me im the champion spider man is my best friend we get dem bitches in club on Tuesday got your girl coming with me she choose me im like the pokemon master i got two master balls mathafucka one for your ex and one for your new girlfriend
spider man mathafucka

I'm done

ilpe0t9ywghax.gif

e88.gif

BLACKLAC

Shit fucking sucks.

I love having him in the MCU but not at the expense of the fresher, groundbreaking entrances Black Panther and Captain Marvel will provide.

An 8 month delay isn't that big of a deal, especially for what we got.

We know BP is in CW and will suit up. We know Wakanda will most likely be in CW as well(and maybe AoU)

Both BP and CM being between IW would seem to highlight their importance in bringing down Thanos.

Nothing really changed, we are getting these films. An extra 8 months of development could work out for the best.

anaron

I get what you're saying but... C'mon man. This is Spider-Man.
That Sony still effectively controls and will hog the movies he's featured in going forward because it's spider-man

I wanna be as excited (and I am to an extent) but I just look at this whole thing with a uneasy apprehension because as much as I love him, the MCU didn't need Peter.

Busty

Banned
For a while I was worried that Sony still having creative reigns would end up being a huge problem with this deal. But really when I sit down and think about it, Sony in general are responsible for some damn great movies, and the problem was their shitty attitude with using the Spider-Man series as their money cow. Maybe based Feige can bring some damn perspective on the project now that the creative team seems to have been catapulted out of the franchise, and although Arad is still on board, the fact that he's executive producer makes it feel more like an indirect effort.

Under the terms of this deal Amy Pascal has wrestled more direct control of the Spider Man films, not less.

Really, the thought of Feige being in direct charge of the franchise rather than Arad fills me with sick joy and I have to wonder whether or not Arad is incredibly bitter about the circumstances.

I suspect that this part of the story has still to be told. I wonder if SPE simply 'paid off' Arad or ended up working some legal loophole to get rid of him given that this was an 'impossible' deal with him on board.

But that audience has never seen Spidey interact with all the heroes in the MCU on the big screen.

That's going to be a crazy thing to see for the first time and I'm sure kids will flip their shit and geek out.

I mean Spidey is hands down the top seller merch wise without him interacting with the MCU, with him in there?

I'm sure that Spidey potentially joining the Avengers (or whatever variation they use) will be an event, I'm just not sure that its going to send Spider Man merchandise into some new stratospheric realm of success given how MCU stuff is already connecting and selling to its audience already.

I'm sure we'll see in the fullness of time.

Huge money, huge expectations. Will dwarf all of Marvel so far!

Looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I reckon they had basic plans anyway, waiting and hoping to get Spidey back.

BLACKLAC

I'm sure that Spidey potentially joining the Avengers (or whatever variation they use) will be an event, I'm just not sure that its going to send Spider Man merchandise into some new stratospheric realm of success given how MCU stuff is already connecting and selling to its audience already.

I'm sure we'll see in the fullness of time.

Not Spider-man merch. Avengers Merch.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
The in-universe explanation is obvious, Spider-Man was (Guardians of the Galaxy Spoilers):
being kept in The Collector's collection, then escaped when it blew up, hooked up with Thanos, who gives him to Loki, who piggybacks him to Earth.
Now Marvel can forget the origin story.

Flintty

Yeah, for Galactus and shit. They can keep X-Men, they're doing a good job right now.

They're doing a good job but not a great one and there are still some major flaws in continuity. DoFP was a big step in the right direction though.

As for who will play Spidey?

I'm Spiderman
actor_11169.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm hoping it will be a teen, a young Peter Parker.

Venom origin should be tied to GOTG universe.
I like it!

Gambit

I am kinda glad Marvel didn't originally have Spidey. If they did we'd probably not have Cap films at all. One thing that bothers me is that if Spidey is in Civil War, Cap is being sidelined in his own movie. With Rober Downey Jr. he is already no longer the biggest name. Anyway, this still sounds like a good development.

also, they could keep Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen from an alternate universe.

BLACKLAC

I meant both.

The MCU is the only reason Avengers is above Superman and close to Batman while having the most growth potential. The hype alone from this is huge (so huge it will benefit AoU's and Ant-Mans box-office numbers).

I can't see why this news wont affect Avengers Merch, especially if it's well received.

Merc_

Shit fucking sucks.

Gotta make room for yet another white male tho!

What about the totally new and fresh experience of watching Spider-Man go through high school for the third time? Can BP and CM really compare to that?

NotLiquid

Under the terms of this deal Amy Pascal has wrestled more direct control of the Spider Man films, not less.

I never really knew what Pascal's vision was for the project, but whatever that was, she has to share double duties with Feige now, so it's a little more and a little less. Most of the influence felt in the TASM series felt explicitly like Arad's doing which now won't be as prevalent, thank god for that. Plus when I refer to the creative team I also mean the people responsible for writing and directing the recent abysmal installments. Hopefully Orci and Kurtzman specifically are never allowed to touch this franchise again.

Flintty

I am kinda glad Marvel didn't originally have Spidey. If they did we'd probably not have Cap films at all. One thing that bothers me is that if Spidey is in Civil War, Cap is being sidelined in his own movie. With Rober Downey Jr. he is already no longer the biggest name. Anyway, this still sounds like a good development.

also, they could keep Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen from an alternate universe.

I think Marvel and every fan knows there is no going back on Capt. He's the first Avenger and fucking awesome. I never gave him a thought before the MCU.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Cinema's everywhere will look like Jackson Pollock paintings.

Lol, speaking of which the pop when Spidey shows up on screen with the other Avengers will be legendary. It's going to be hype being in a packed theater and seeing the crowd absolutely lose their shit once Spidey shows up.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Lol, speaking of which the pop when Spidey shows up on screen with the other Avengers will be legendary. It's going to be hype being in a packed theater and seeing the crowd absolutely lose their shit once Spidey shows up.

Let's face it, Spider-Man in terms of name value is in a completely different league to any superhero except for Superman/Batman. Spider-Man having doubts about joining The Avengers, then coming in ala Hulk in The Avengers climax would blow the roof off of the cinema.

THANOS: Who are you, boy?
SPIDER-MAN: Oh, I'm sorry, does chicken legs have a question? Tell you what, why don't you actually work on your legs once in a while instead of fisting a gauntlet?

Log4Girlz

Let's face it, Spider-Man in terms of name value is in a completely different league to any superhero except for Superman/Batman. Spider-Man having doubts about joining The Avengers, then coming in ala Hulk in The Avengers climax would blow the roof off of the cinema.

SPIDER-MAN: Oh, I'm sorry, does chicken legs have a question? Tell you what, why don't you actually work on your legs once in a while instead of fisting a gauntlet?

Thanos has huge legs.

Hahahaha, what is it with you and Thanos' legs, breh?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Peter becomes Tony's protege, builds his own Iron Spider suit, Tony gets killed in the Civil War, Peter takes the place of the superpowered wisecracking genius.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hahahaha, what is it with you and Thanos' legs, breh?

I was pretty drunk when I came up with the idea that Thanos is jealous of Ronan's gains in GOTG, and when Ronan gets the cosmic steroid gem and his gains grow even more he's all 'Thanos, you better hit the gym because I'm going to kick your ass.' At this stage I think the fact it makes no sense is what keeps amusing me - like in my mind GOTG is some weird bodybuilding film from the 1980s and Quill thinks it's a Footloose remake in space.

Top Bottom