• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

antonz

YO I SLEPT THROUGH THIS OH MY GOD THIS IS FINALLY HAPPENING IM SO HAPPY SOMEBODY HOLD ME DAMN IT

image.php

Ade

Yes they are. Go watch Thor and Captain America again and brush up on world religion.

There's a difference between getting viewed as a god, and been an actual god.

Maria Hills comments on his arms may imply his arms are godly or whatever, but they've been very careful not to outright state that they are gods.

S1kkZ

Why would the press release leave off 2 major producers? I think deadline is wrong on this one. Deadline seems to be the only one reporting their involvement... Seems as fishy as a can of tuna.

exec. producer pretty much means: here is a cheque and we put your name in the credits.
the exec. pr. plays almost no role during production or has any say.

antonz

What? In the opening of Thor 2 is Odin responding to Loki who says he wants to be a "good" like his father. He responds by saying "We ARE not gods"

Yep if anything you could view the MCU Asgardians as a potential evolutionary Path for Humans since their magic is very earth science like. Asgardians just have managed to extend their lives many millenia and when they first visited Earth very easy for primitive man to think God

Dabanton

Lol waking up to this.

Sony really had no choice. It was risk another awful Spiderman movie or update the formula. May as well jump on the marvel studios train.

Does this also mean that sinister 6 movie is dead?

exec. producer pretty much means: here is a cheque and we put your name in the credits.
the exec. pr. plays almost no role during production or has any say.
I'm aware, I just thought if he was involved in some capacity he would be on the presser. Either way he will have basically no creative control as an exec producer which is great news.

roytheone

While it would be pretty much impossible to keep this deal quiet, it would have been amazing if they didn't release a press statement, and instead announced it with the after credit scene in age of Ultron. The reactions in the theaters would have been spectacular!

Sojgat

What? In the opening of Thor 2 is Odin responding to Loki who says he wants to be a "good" like his father. He responds by saying "We ARE not gods"

Yup. Basically, Marvel pussied out as not to leave even the slightest possibility of offending anyone.

Really all it does is make the MCU Asgardians a little more lame than they needed to be.

Alpha_eX

Hopefully they put an end credits into Ultron just acknowledging his existence, whether it be a news report of webs covering downtown or just someone dropping a paper on the floor with his picture on the front page.

I'd like the reveal of the actor to actually be in Captain America when he's unmasked, not sure how they'd keep the actor secret until day one of the movie's release but imagine how awesome that'd be!

sparkzero

Most people don't understand that Marvel still don't got the Spiderman movie rights back. It's a partnership that will benefit both Sony and Marvel in terms of using the characters in Spidey movies and vice versa and producing future movies together.

So please stop with the "FF rights/X-Men rights next" comments.

duckroll

Most people don't understand that Marvel still don't got the Spiderman movie rights back. It's a partnership that will benefit both Sony and Marvel in terms of using the characters in Spidey movies and vice versa and producing future movies together.

The deal benefits Sony way more than Marvel from the looks of things. I never felt this was a good deal for Marvel from the start when the rumors were out, but I guess Feige really, really wanted to work Spider-man into the MCU. It's understandable from that viewpoint, but in terms of actual business, it looks like Marvel is going to be helping Sony to make a ton of money, and in exchange they just get to use Spider-man in some of their films.

If the Spider-man movies are good though, it's win-win for fans.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

So please stop with the "FF rights/X-Men rights next" comments.

Correct, it's a deal where Marvel has full access to the Spider-verse to work into their MCU, and Marvel and Sony are co-producing any future Spider-Man films. Sony has final say on those stand-alone films. I'm just curious if the stand-alones are going to be part of the MCU as well, or if we get a MCU Spidey and a different storyline for Sony Spidey.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The deal benefits Sony way more than Marvel from the looks of things. I never felt this was a good deal for Marvel from the start when the rumors were out, but I guess Feige really, really wanted to work Spider-man into the MCU. It's understandable from that viewpoint, but in terms of actual business, it looks like Marvel is going to be helping Sony to make a ton of money, and in exchange they just get to use Spider-man in some of their films.

I think he saw a way to get Captain America 3 to a billion and he took it.

RexNovis

Banned
HOLY SHIT! FUCKING YES! I will fully admit I flat out denied even the smallest possibility of this day ever coming but I have NEVER been more happy to be wrong about anything in my entire life.

YO gaf check out my Rap about this news

ok here I go

Yo yo spider man was bitten by spider now he shoot spider webs from his hands to save your bitch mathafucka while eating ice cream chocolate flavor mathafucka marvel got him back now im eating sandwich made by my ex wife yes im 8 years old but i got ex wife mathafucka you don't know me im the champion spider man is my best friend we get dem bitches in club on Tuesday got your girl coming with me she choose me im like the pokemon master i got two master balls mathafucka one for your ex and one for your new girlfriend
spider man mathafucka

I'm done

ilpe0t9ywghax.gif

BLACKLAC

I think he saw a way to get Captain America 3 to a billion and he took it.

Cap 3 was on track to break a billion without Spidey.

If we are talking about $$$ than it would be Feige having visions of website headlines reading "Cap 3 tops BvS at the box-office".

antonz

I suspect they worry about brand devaluation too. They make alot of money off spiderman and Sony left to their own devices was likely to keep damaging the brand. Sony can still screw it up with their final say stuff but they also have to realize they play hardball and Marvel can take their ball and go home cutting spiderman off again.
The leaked deal also entailed Marvel getting movie money again so if that came through another reason to jump in

Nelo Ice

Banned
Correct, it's a deal where Marvel has full access to the Spider-verse to work into their MCU, and Marvel and Sony are co-producing any future Spider-Man films. Sony has final say on those stand-alone films. I'm just curious if the stand-alones are going to be part of the MCU as well, or if we get a MCU Spidey and a different storyline for Sony Spidey.

Wouldn't make any sense for solo Spidey movies to be separate. From the press release it's going to be all MCU Spidey going forward. They wouldn't have mentioned integrating MCU characters into Spidey films and vice versa if that weren't the case.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
AMAZING NEWS.

JK Simmons needs to be back.

It's actually a possibility according to the legend himself. Quote from the interview below:

Stern: Hey, we doing another [Spider-Man] or what?

Simmons: I just heard that we…that’s a possibility.

Stern: Would you do it?

Simmons: Absolutely.

Man, I really, really want to see him reprise his role. He was perfect as Jameson.

TimFL

A dream came true.

Now all I need is them to kickstart the Marvel Video Games Universe with proper AAA titles.

Log4Girlz

Merchandising! Merchandising! Where the real money from the movie is made. Spiderman: the T-shirt, Spiderman: the coloring book, Spiderman: the lunch box, Spiderman: the breakfast cereal, Spiderman: the flamethrower!!

Prompto

Banned
Merchandising! Merchandising! Where the real money from the movie is made. Spiderman: the T-shirt, Spiderman: the coloring book, Spiderman: the lunch box, Spiderman: the breakfast cereal, Spiderman: the flamethrower

Disney already had merchandising rights way before this.

Sojgat

awful news. BP delayed, Sony retaining creative control.

shit sucks, b

ASM2 showed Sony have no idea what they were doing with Spider-Man, and they won't want to repeat that.

They may have " final creative control ", but they'll probably just do whatever Feige tells them.

I think Marvel gains a lot more than you give them credit for. Spider-Man in the MCU is about more than just Feige wanting Spider-Man. I think Feige sees that Infinity War Pt1 and 2 have real shots at getting near (if not THE) top of the highest grossing movies of all times list, and he knows that a Spider-Man deal strengthens that shot.

Spider-Man is, by far, Marvel's most popular hero. Marvel Studios may not hold the rights to his films, but by integrating him into the MCU they strengthen the films they do hold rights to. Spider-Man appearing in, say, Civil War strengthens its box office potential. Spider-Man having a (possibly) prominent part in Infinity War pushes that film far ahead of what it would already hit. It's the same reason they dropped $40 million (or so) on Robert Downey, Jr. for Civil War. In a post-Winter Soldier era (grossed $714 million worldwide) a new Captain America film—and, specifically, one as wide-reaching as Civil War—had a great shot at pulling in $800-$900m+ worldwide. Adding Robert Downey, Jr.'s Iron Man to that cast—by far Marvel's most popular movie property—strengthens that by a huge amount. The film doesn't need RDJ to do well, but his addition multiplies how well it will do. It creates more excitement and increases ticket sales and overall interest. Suddenly your $800-$900m+ potential has grown to a $1b+ potential.

And it's not just about the few hundred million dollars more a Spider-Man brings to the Avengers table. It's about the news cycle that drums up, the merchandise it sells, the word of mouth it generates and the new people it brings into the theater (and whose interest now intersects with the Marvel movie brand).

You're right that Sony gains a lot more than Marvel does. Sony needs this right now. Marvel doesn't need Spider-Man. They'd get by just fine without it. This deal isn't about needing Spider-Man; it's about how Spider-Man's inclusion strengthens the Marvel Cinematic Universe brand, from box office potential to public perception.

Top Bottom