• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

I was pretty drunk when I came up with the idea that Thanos is jealous of Ronan's gains in GOTG, and when Ronan gets the cosmic steroid gem and his gains grow even more he's all 'Thanos, you better hit the gym because I'm going to kick your ass.' At this stage I think the fact it makes no sense is what keeps amusing me - like in my mind GOTG is some weird bodybuilding film from the 1980s and Quill thinks it's a Footloose remake in space.

I don't know why, but I really like this.

I wonder how they are going to work him in. Spiderman likes publicity. Nick Fury would have known about him but there was never a mention of him.

I just feel if he's shoehorned in, it's gonna break the immersion for me. Hopefully they can come up with something clever, maybe tie his origin in with Civil War or something.

can't believe this actually happened. this feels so strange.
now the ironic thing would be if they totally fuck it up making the last three sony movies look like masterpieces.

Sesha

Marvel's movies get pushed back and Sony retains creative control. I have no idea why anyone would be happy with this arrangement. But we're getting Spider-Man in Avengers 3, whooptidoo.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I wonder how they are going to work him in. Spiderman likes publicity. Nick Fury would have known about him but there was never a mention of him.

I just feel if he's shoehorned in, it's gonna break the immersion for me. Hopefully they can come up with something clever, maybe tie his origin in with Civil War or something.

The spiderbite happened post-Avengers. In the meantime, Fury was too busy saving his own and SHIELD's ass to have noticed a guy living in Queens developing spider-powers.
In the post-credits-scene of Age of Ultron, we see the Avengers heading back to Avengers Tower, when Spidey swings in, and hands Tony a piece of a Ultron Drone, saying "I think you guys lost this. So how do I get into this Avengers thingy?"

Gambit

I think Marvel and every fan knows there is no going back on Capt. He's the first Avenger and fucking awesome. I never gave him a thought before the MCU.

yea, he's established himself now. But, as you said, before his films nobody cared. If Marvel had had Spidey, they'd have made Spidey films instead.

Now Chris Evans is my most-wanted contract extension.

Or if he takes a break, make a Black Widow/Bucky film.

This is really good. Best possible scenario for Sony as they're assured a higher quality for their films, and Marvel gets back one of their key characters who's important to some storylines.

Sesha

Civil War is going to be a mess at this rate. Tony, Cap, BP, Spidey, Bucky, Natasha, Falcon, Fury, Zemo, Crossbones, etc.

Lu2MTME.png

Is the rumor on that.

I feel bad for Drew Goddard. He had to drop showrunning duties on Daredevil to direct Sinister Six, now that might be out the window as well.

This is really good. Best possible scenario for Sony as they're assured a higher quality for their films, and Marvel gets back one of their key characters who's important to some storylines.

He's literally important to only one planned storyline, and they were gonna make that movie without him anyway.

Atrophis

As a result of the new deal, Thor: Ragnarok will now arrive nearly four months later than planned, moving to November 3, 2017 (from July 28). Black Panther, which previously held that spot, gets delayed eight months, going from that original November 3 date to July 6, 2018. That, in turn, bumps Captain Marvel to November 2, 2018 and moves Inhumans all the way to July 12, 2019. The two-part Avengers: Infinity War, meanwhile, remains set for release May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019.

Spiderman ain't worth this.

Sojgat

The spiderbite happened post-Avengers. In the meantime, Fury was too busy saving his own and SHIELD's ass to have noticed a guy living in Queens developing spider-powers.
In the post-credits-scene of Age of Ultron, we see the Avengers heading back to Avengers Tower, when Spidey swings in, and hands Tony a piece of a Ultron Drone, saying "I think you guys lost this. So how do I get into this Avengers thingy?"

I really want him to just show up out of nowhere in some random scene.

The Avengers are all just standing around, and somebody is like "What do you think about all this, Spider-Man?"

The camera pans over, and he's just standing there.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
here my thing the inhuman's movie now takes place after the second avengers infinity movie. So that means that the second avengers movie is no longer the end of the current MCU?

Jigorath

Banned
I feel bad for Drew Goddard. He had to drop showrunning duties on Daredevil to direct Sinister Six, now that might be out the window as well.

Sony can make it up to him by letting him direct the next Spider-man film. He's more than talented enough.

Sesha

I'll try to be positive about this. If Marvel has an influence on choice of directors for the Spidey Reboot 2: Electro Boogaloo, who would you like to see or feel would be a fitting choice?

Phil Lord and Chris Miller would be my Nr. 1 choice, and Joe Cornish, Edgar Wright, Rich Moore and Brad Bird are my secondary choices. There's no way Wright is happening, and Brad Bird seems very unlikely too, not to mention he's probably working on something else right now.

Sony can make it up to him by letting him direct the next Spider-man film. He's more than talented enough.

Seems possible.

Gambit

here my thing the inhuman's movie now takes place after the second avengers infinity movie. So that means that the second avengers movie is no longer the end of the current MCU?

I think Marvel actually prefers this set-up. Infinity War is not supposed to be the end, but a big final. With Inhumans they can set up a new status quo shortly afterwards, when people are still interested in the fall-out.

Imperial

I'll try to be positive about this. If Marvel has an influence on choice of directors for the Spidey Reboot 2: Electro Boogaloo, who would you like to see or feel would be a fitting choice?

Phil Lord and Chris Miller would be my Nr. 1 choices, but Joe Cornish, Edgar Wright, Rich Moore and Brad Bird are my secondary choices. There's no way Wright is happening, and Brad Bird seems very unlikely too, not to mention he's probably working on something else right now.

Seems possible.

i'd be down with that

Sesha

It's not much of a delay in the grand scheme of things and most Marvel fans would probably agree it is worth it. Spiderman is fucking huge and we deserve a really good Spidey film.

So potentially fucking over the rest of the MCU just so Spidey fans get a good film (even though Sony still retains creative control) when they already have two of the best super hero movies ever made. I dunno, that just makes Spidey fans sound selfish and entitled.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So potentially fucking over the rest of the MCU just so Spidey fans get a good film (even though Sony still retains creative control) when they already have two of the best super hero movies ever made. I dunno, that just makes Spidey fans sound selfish and entitled.

I mean its spider man. Not only could this help the movie lines, his inclusion could and should help the Netflix series as well.

Flintty

Lol its not 'fucking over' the rest of the MCU. And I'm not saying this as a Spidey fan, I'm saying it as a Marvel fan.

Tobor

I wouldn't worry about that Sony final control, guys. Pascal will do whatever Feige tells her to do.

Marvel is saving Sony's ass here.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Lol its not 'fucking over' the rest of the MCU. And I'm not saying this as a Spidey fan, I'm saying it as a Marvel fan.

It kinda is. Three films bucking the Marvel formula pushed aside so we get a film about a guy who quips a lot, learns a lesson about heroism, and I'm guessing stops an aerial battle of some kind.

Not to say Spider-Man will be bad, but it does halt the progress of diversity in the MCU for another white guy superhero film. And that is a shame.

NeonZ

yea, he's established himself now. But, as you said, before his films nobody cared. If Marvel had had Spidey, they'd have made Spidey films instead.

I think Captain American would have priority over Thor. Thor is likely the one who would have been left without movies if they had Spider from the beginning.

LosDaddie

Banned
Marvel stay winning.

I'm not a huge Spidey fan, but having him in the MCU can only be a good thing. Good on Sony for getting its head out of its own ass on this.

Shit fucking sucks.

I love having him in the MCU but not at the expense of the fresher, groundbreaking entrances Black Panther and Captain Marvel will provide.

Gotta make room for yet another white male tho!

Because everything is racist.

It kinda is. Three films bucking the Marvel formula pushed aside so we get a film about a guy who quips a lot, learns a lesson about heroism, and I'm guessing stops an aerial battle of some kind.

Not to say Spider-Man will be bad, but it does halt the progress of diversity in the MCU for another white guy superhero film. And that is a shame.

Rolling my eyes so hard at this

Sesha

Spidey suddenly showing up in CW, BP and Captain Marvel getting pushed back with BP now getting sandwiched between the Avengers IW parts 1 and 2, and Inhumans being Ant-Manned sure sounds like it. The BP pushback might cause scheduling conflicts for Chadwick Boseman as well. I'm a Spidey fan and a potential Spectacular Spider-Man approach to the franchise sounds good to me, but this sounds like it's carrying a lot of risk not all that much benefit, at least on the MCU-side. Even worse if relations between Sony and Marvel turns sour.

Top Bottom