• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Flintty

It kinda is. Three films bucking the Marvel formula pushed aside so we get a film about a guy who quips a lot, learns a lesson about heroism, and I'm guessing stops an aerial battle of some kind.

Not to say Spider-Man will be bad, but it does halt the progress of diversity in the MCU for another white guy superhero film. And that is a shame.

The fuck has it got to do with race for fuck sake? And diversity? There's plenty of room in the MCU for a teenager gaining super powers, dealing with loss, love and growing up. And Spidey is integral with Civil War story line so why not?

CryptiK

The fuck has it got to do with race for fuck sake? And diversity? There's plenty of room in the MCU for a teenager gaining super powers, dealing with loss, love and growing up. And Spidey is integral with Civil War story line so why not?
Because reasons! Reasons that don't make any sense. I read his post and lol'd just sounds like salt tbh.

Dynomutt

So... after also re-purchasing Infamous Second Son, I forgot how jaw dropping and gorgeous this game is. It is arguably one of the better looking next gen titles. Let's stop playing favorites and be realistic some Studios/Devs are just a cut above the rest.
With Sony inking a deal with Marvel to bring Spider-Man to the MCU...They should seek exclusive rights and let Sucker Punch make the next Spidey game we all deserve!! Could you imagine letting Sucker Punch running free with their version of Manhattan and Spidey zipping through it!?!?! Match made in game/comic heaven. What do you think?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oh shit.

Is this even real life?

Edit: Why the fuck does it matter that Spider-Man is white?

Wat?

It's called unfortunate implications.

Marvel announced Black Panther. Fans celebrated about his role in Civil War and the release date of his own film. Marvel then announced that film was delayed, and Spider-Man was getting its place. Also rumours that Spider-Man is in Civil War.

I'm sorry, if that doesn't make you 'wait... uh...' slightly? That's a tad worrying.

Tobor

Lost in all of this is that we're finally going to get a good Spiderman movie! Feige is here to save the day, yall!

Flintty

Another thought, I really hope they take the Stark mentoring Spiderman angle. That would be original for a Spidey film! Fuck, I'm excited. Must manage hype levels!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So... after also re-purchasing Infamous Second Son, I forgot how jaw dropping and gorgeous this game is. It is arguably one of the better looking next gen titles. Let's stop playing favorites and be realistic some Studios/Devs are just a cut above the rest.
With Sony inking a deal with Marvel to bring Spider-Man to the MCU...They should seek exclusive rights and let Sucker Punch make the next Spidey game we all deserve!! Could you imagine letting Sucker Punch running free with their version of Manhattan and Spidey zipping through it!?!?! Match made in game/comic heaven. What do you think?

No. Activision has the rights for the next time. This deals dont go away.

Sesha

Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen probably isn't happening now, either. :(

Even if Activision has the rights, they did hire Platinum to do Legend of Korra... *cough*

Marvel announced Black Panther. Fans celebrated about his role in Civil War and the release date of his own film. Marvel then announced that film was delayed, and Spider-Man was getting its place. Also rumours that Spider-Man is in Civil War.

I'm sorry, if that doesn't make you 'wait... uh...' slightly? That's a tad worrying.

No it doesn't actually and there's nothing worrying about it.

The black panther movie is delayed, not cancelled and regardless it's fuck all to do with race unless you're trying to say Marvel is like Pro-White or some stupid ass shit.

Grexeno

The unfortunate implication that Spiderman is Marvel's most popular character by a significant margin?

Spidey suddenly showing up in CW, BP and Captain Marvel getting pushed back with BP now getting sandwiched between the Avengers IW parts 1 and 2, and Inhumans being Ant-Manned sure sounds like it. The BP pushback might cause scheduling conflicts for Chadwick Boseman as well. I'm a Spidey fan too, and a potential Spectacular Spider-Man approach to the franchise sounds good to me, but this sounds like it's carrying a lot of risk not all that much benefit, at least on the MCU-side. Even worse if relations between Sony and Marvel turns sour.
Yeah, there's another side to this good news ...

Personally I would prefer they just scrap Thor 3 instead of tossing everything into craziness.
Now BP happens after the start of the war? Will he be in it or what? Will his movie just be a event that happened before the war?

For CM ... it doesn't change much other then just being shitty that it's gonna take another year. Her story was always gonna be shown after the start of the war ... how ever they do that.

Inhumans though? They just got dicked outta the war part 2 :[

Thor 3 better be worth this shit. We all know that Marvel Spidey is every nerds wet-dream and easily a top earner so he can take a spot no prob ... but Thor 3? I couldn't give 3 craps about Thor's 3rd chance at a better than avg movie.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
it has...begun...

3946554-1580645314-24595.jpg

Hugh Jackman you know you want a little piece of this...come on Fox

Hex

Banned
Amazing how even great news like this can be shit on by people who want to find something negative in everything.

BP will still be in Civil War.
Now Spidey will be also, and with the story it is better the more real players involved.
BP's movie will now pretty much be the big summer movie.
But no, it has to be some big racist consipiracy to some people I guess.

This is Spidey, one of Marvel's Icons coming home.

Dynomutt

Shattered Dimensions?
Spider-Man The Movie Game 2?

Both are decent b-list games. But IMHO Spider-Man deserves Arkham status.

Shattered Dimensions:

Not bad, just gimmicky with the various Spideys. Give me one Spidey with a skill tree that grows as you progress with sort of RPG elements.

Spider-Man The Movie Game 2(assuming the old one):

Way to much repetition. Scope was their but consoles weren't ready yet. They fucked up the PC edition with should have been the standard.

I know it won't happen but I would much prefer slightly older married Spider-Man as opposed to teenage Spidey for the third time. Any chance of that happening?

SykoTech

Not surprising given everything that's been happening in both Sony Pictures and Marvel. But still very pleasing to here.

Now if only they could do something about Spidey's videogames and animated cartoon. They need serious help too.

Not surprising given everything that's been happening in both Sony Pictures and Marvel. But still very pleasing to here.

Now if only they could do something about Spidey's videogames and animated cartoon. They need serious help too.
Cartoon-wise Marvel screwed the pooch by allowing Loeb to control their animation stuff.

They're trying to fix it now that he's on AoS I believe.

Dynomutt

So... after re-purchasing Infamous Second Son, I forgot how jaw dropping and gorgeous this game is. It is arguably one of the better looking next gen titles. Let's stop playing favorites and be realistic some Studios/Devs are just a cut above the rest.

Sesha

Man if Spectacular Spider-Man season 3 were to happen it would almost be worth all this.

Tizoc

Garfield was great as Spiderman/Peter Parker, but everybody knows Spidey's origin story by now so just give him a movie that ties him into the Avengers movies and we're good to go.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spider-Man The Movie Game 2(assuming the old one):

Way to much repetition. Scope was their but consoles weren't ready yet. They fucked up the PC edition with should have been the standard.

Doesnt matter when the PC version was shitty.
The consoel version is still the definitive Spider-Man game.

WillyFive

What's the rush for having Spider-Man back so quickly that you have to push other movies back? Just have him come out in Phase 4, let the franchise breathe. The worst thing Sony did was rebooting it only a decade after the Raimi movies, now we are getting something new in a shorter span of time. There's no rush Marvel.

Kud Dukan

What's the rush for having Spider-Man back so quickly that you have to push other movies back? Just have him come out in Phase 4, let the franchise breathe. The worst thing Sony did was rebooting it only a decade after the Raimi movies, now we are getting something new in a shorter span of time. There's no rush Marvel.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rush was less to do with Marvel and more to do with Sony.

DieH@rd

Banned
Garfield was great as Spiderman/Peter Parker, but everybody knows Spidey's origin story by now so just give him a movie that ties him into the Avengers movies and we're good to go.

But how to explain him not being there during alien invasion in Avengers 1, or why that invasion or any other Marvel hero was not mentioned in ASM films?

That's maybe too long, plus this is a nice insertion point for Spidey into MCU [and Sony likes money also]. Sony is under contract that they must produce Spiderman films in a certain time period or the film license goes back to Marvel. FOX is under similar contract, they cannot leave their franchise to rest. Fantastic Four reboot started production just months before license for that property was set to return to Marvel.

Slayven

But how to explain him not being there during alien invasion in Avengers 1, or why that invasion or any other Marvel hero was not mentioned in ASM films?

"Sorry guys I couldn't make it to Manhattan, but traffic from Queens was a pain. ANd weirdly no taxis would stop for me."

Sesha

The rush was probably on Sony's side. After AmSM2 they were probably unwilling to risk Sinister Six, Venom, Female Spider-Man spin-off and AmSM3 not doing well. And Spidey ReReboot in 2020 isn't a good deal for them when they're desperate for successful franchises.

Top Bottom