• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

NotLiquid

LET THE RUSSO BROTHERS DIRECT THE NEXT SPIDERMAN.

LET THE RUSSO BROTHERS DIRECT THE NEXT SPIDERMAN

PLEASE LET THE RUSSO BROTHERS DIRECT THE NEXT SPIDERMAN

I think Lord & Miller is the only "duo" that should be allowed to direct a Spider-Man feature.

It feels very likely too. They've been Sony's golden boys for a while. The Jump Street series has been one of Sony's successful franchises, and they have a fantastic knack for character building and humor. This could be their next big thing.

Ugh. I don't want Arad anywhere near this.

I wouldn't worry. He's executive producer this time, i.e "I'm just here for the paycheck". Feige and Pascal are going to be steering this gravy train.

TimFL

What are the chances of an after credits hint in Ultron? I think basically none, but would it be even possible this late in the game? Would they?

Zero. The movie is done, the reshoots are probably over by now/close to finished and they will most definitely not be able to cast a new Spidey in time without rushing things.

Cap 3 is the best time to introduce him. Judging by the fact that the Russo bros already teased a lot of Spidey things in the past, they probably have a script ready with a big Spidey influence in it. I'd be happy with a cameo only though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Liefield will drop that Youngblood movie any day now.

Preach

4382672946bd884ad266f8fe7d0e17d5_l.jpg

any day

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Holy shit, this is amazing.

I hope Spider-Man makes a cameo in the Jessica Jones series since they went to the same high school in the comics. A flashback with Spider-Man fighting Sandman in the school would be pretty cool.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Zero. The movie is done, the reshoots are probably over by now/close to finished and they will most definitely not be able to cast a new Spidey in time without rushing things.

Cap 3 is the best time to introduce him. Judging by the fact that the Russo bros already teased a lot of Spidey things in the past, they probably have a script ready with a big Spidey influence in it. I'd be happy with a cameo only though.

Brolin was cast after The Avengers.

Just saying.

I'd love Lord & Miller to do this. Edgar Wright would be cool, but I don't see it happening because of what happened with Ant-Man and he would also be busy with his new heist film.

Rean

They're probably gonna go with Ultimate Spiderman to coincide with the TV show even though it should be Spectacular or something.

Parch

Is it too late to rewrite the Marvel Civil War movie?

This board would freak if they fired Black Panther just to replace him with Spiderman.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

The "shawarma scene" was shot after the premiere. I can see them scrapping together for the post-credits scene. Like a down-and-dirty CG Spidey swinging around. Depends on how prepared Marvel was about this deal going through.

Neoxon

They're probably gonna go with Ultimate Spiderman to coincide with the TV show even though it should be Spectacular or something.
They'll save Ultimate for if they do Miles in the future.
Is it too late to rewrite the Marvel Civil War movie?

This board would freak if they fired Black Panther just to replace him with Spiderman.
Supposedly Marvel had writers prep a version of Civil War with Spider-Man just in case the deal went through. Given that production starts April, they still have time.

Ithil

Not worrying at all, it's business. The only bright spot about Sony having control over Spider-Man is that they could release films on their schedule without worrying about impacting the gross of MCU films. If spidey released two weeks after Captain America or whatever and cut its legs off, so be it.

Now that they're collaborating, this is going to be a factor. You're not going to get as many movies per year. Spider-Man is going to be taking slots that would have gone to less recognizable franchises. If Marvel got the Xmen and FF tomorrow, you could pretty much say goodbye to properties like BP, Strange, Captain Marvel or Ant Man EVER getting developed.
Given the massive success of GOTG, I'm pretty sure Marvel knows its brand is strong enough to make lesser known properties into huge ones. BP, Marvel, Strange are all capable of being made into new money makers.

Hell, I expect any potential FF film would not be as successful as GOTG. FF aren't that beloved by the public, they're not Spider-Man. Look at the revenue Marvel already makes from Spider-Man when they don't even have the film rights, it's enormous, every year. He makes more money for them than everyone else combined. That's why he's the one they're after. The FF's worth isn't even the FF themselves, it's the other characters that come with them like Doom, Galactus or Surfer, the latter two of which fit right into the MCU's cosmic side, and the former is the strong villain they're lacking.

E the Shaggy

Supposedly Marvel had writers prep a version of Civil War with Spider-Man just in case the deal went through. Given that production starts April, they still have time.

It seems crazy to me that they'd be able to cast someone as Spidey and do all the shit like design his costume in around 2 months, but hell, I never thought this would be happening at all!

TimFL

Brolin was cast after The Avengers.

Just saying.

You are right, maybe mention him in some meeting between Fury and Hill. They could set up the whole Civil Wars storyline even more that way (government wants heroes to report to/register with some agency so they can be tracked, drop newspaper article about Spider-Man on the table etc).

I'd rather have them introduce him properly in Cap 3 though, AoU seems bloated in terms of universe stuff anyways.

Ithil

Then who would do The Avengers?

Since Whedon seems done after Age of Ultron

I doubt he's "done" done. More likely he'll just take a few years break and make a new TV series of his own or something, and probably if he directs another MCU film down the road it won't be an Avengers film but a solo film that's more focused and less stressful.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
What I find particularly interesting (sorry if someone already talked about this) is that Inhumans has been moved past Infinity War. Which means it was never gonna have any connection to it in the first place.

Neoxon

It seems crazy to me that they'd be able to cast someone as Spidey and do all the shit like design his costume in around 2 months, but hell, I never thought this would be happening at all!
It's Marvel, they probably considered this shit well in advance. The costume shouldn't be hard to do given that Marvel prefers to stick relatively close to the comics when possible.

E the Shaggy

It's Marvel, they probably considered this shit well in advance. The costume shouldn't be hard to do given that Marvel prefers to stick relatively close to the comics when possible.

My question is how long have they known about this? Was it just finalized yesterday or have they been sitting on it for awhile?

What I find particularly interesting (sorry if someone already talked about this) is that Inhumans has been moved past Infinity War. Which means it was never gonna have any connection to it in the first place.

Very likely a similar situation as Guardians.

Essentially their expanded universe.

Ithil

People saying the Russos for the Spider-Man film, if they are indeed doing Avengers Infinity War Part 1 and 2, then they aren't doing any other films between Civil War and the two Infinity Wars. Those films will take downright years of production, not only will they be massive endeavours, but there will be two of them presumably made at the same time.

There won't be any time for them to do the Spider-Man film. They did do a great job on TWS, and they'll presumably only get better (given that was their first big blockbuster), but they can't do everything. I'm sure there will be plenty of directors interested in doing Spider-Man under Marvel.

Neoxon

My question is how long have they known about this? Was it just finalized yesterday or have they been sitting on it for awhile?
The Marvel-Sony discussions date as far back as October based on the SonyGate leaks. And knowing Marvel, they likely prepared for the scenario where the discussions would go their way. As for this deal specifically, it was likely finalized at the Spidey Summit in January, & signed on paper this week.

I was just about to say, Osborne being available to the MCU is a huge fuckin deal here.

After the last two Spider-Man franchises though, I don't want to see Norman Osborn (or storylines speeding artificially fast toward Venom) anytime soon.

In the upcoming Spider-Man movie, just gimme Doctor Octopus (he's already been done well but he's great). Have the symbiote be a thing that happens in the Infinity War flicks. Avoid Goblin stuff (and the Osborn family) for a good long while, please - they've dominated 60% of the Spidey movies so far.

TimFL

Could see this working. Thanos shows up, they beat him up hard, the Infinity Stones somehow create all the Inhumans: Mutants/Inhumans show up, people are afraid of them.

Kind of like the inFAMOUS games.

Top Bottom