• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
And Marvel owning a near monopoly on superhero films is not a good thing.

Competition makes them better. Shit, the MCU only exists because of how successful OTHER STUDIOS films were.

DC is still around, and independents are also still being made , marvels not the only game in town lol. Marvel having all their own properties is a monopoly now? Like DC is then?

It's great news, but I'm really bummed about Andrew Garfield being out. He was THE perfect Spider-Man IMO. His passion for the character was amazingly endearing. I feel for him. He put every ounce of himself into that role.

Toa TAK

Banned
The writers of the show said they had ideas for a season 2, as the article outlined limited series means limited episode order, not limited seasons. They hoped for a season 2 but there is no chance of it happening, it deputed poorly and only fell since then. It just never clicked with audiences for whatever reason.

I wonder why?

I mean, people kept up with AOS awful pre-TWS episodes....

So, I might be reading this a bit too literally, but... they're saying they're going to work Spider-Man into one of their MCU films before the next SM in 2017, right? So, I mean, if that's true, it's gotta be Cap 3 right? I mean, it's gotta be. Holy shit guys.

flkraven

What are the chances of an after credits hint in Ultron? I think basically none, but would it be even possible this late in the game? Would they?

Ovek

7Member7
So, I might be reading this a bit too literally, but... they're saying they're going to work Spider-Man into one of their MCU films before the next SM in 2017, right? So, I mean, if that's true, it's gotta be Cap 3 right? I mean, it's gotta be. Holy shit guys.

I would say so, cameo in Avengers 2 if they cast it quick enough maybe.

Blader

Why do people keep suggesting Logan Lerman? Has anyone actually seen him in a movie? He's awful. He gives that same deer-in-the-headlights look for everything.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
UPDATE: Calling it right now, Richard & Mary Parker will be in the third season of Agents of SHIELD.

I could see them being name-dropped, but anything beyond that would be very surprising.

Also, assuming it's too late to actually get Spidey in Cap3, post-credit teaser is practically guaranteed.

I would say so, cameo in Avengers 2 if they cast it quick enough maybe.

Might be cutting it too close, especially if they choose to recast the role. I'm personally fine with Garfield, but also wouldn't mind seeing some new blood. He was not the problem with the ASM films. lol

Spidey needs to be young for this, just because the MCU doesn't have a character like that right now.

So very true. I think at most Spidey should be in his early 20s.

WinFonda

It's great news, but I'm really bummed about Andrew Garfield being out. He was THE perfect Spider-Man IMO. His passion for the character was amazingly endearing. I feel for him. He put every ounce of himself into that role.

I don't feel the same way. His accent was weird and fluctuated wildly for starters. There's a scene in the second movie where he's talking to Harry by the river and it goes from New Yorker, to Bostonian, to Southern, to Standard American in like the span of a couple minutes.

I feel like all he really did was romance his real life girlfriend on screen.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How are they going to make a "veteran" spiderman when he was no where to be seen while NY was getting trashed. You have Tony Stark living right there basically in Avenger tower and never even mentions him. I hope they dont just bolt him in and say "he was always there, just never mentioned on camera!"

Make it a new spiderman from start to finish.

I feel like all he really did was romance his real life girlfriend on screen.

Well he did that really well! And with Sony constantly wanting to make Spiderman a love story, doing that right means he did good. I'd love to see a spiderman where they go deeper than just the love story, make it about more.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How are they going to make a "veteran" spiderman when he was no where to be seen while NY was getting trashed. You have Tony Stark living right there basically in Avenger tower and never even mentions him. I hope they dont just bolt him in and say "he was always there, just never mentioned on camera!"

Since they will make the same with Jessica Jones, I think they will come up with a reasonable explanation.

That will have happened years ago by the time the Spider-Man movie comes around. There is plenty of time between NY getting attacked and the Spider-Man movie where Peter could have gotten bit and become Spider-Man.

No more Spidey origins.

I think people can just assume and accept he was already established at this point. Just because they didn't mention him before doesn't mean he wasn't around.

I will take an established Spider-Man in college.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It'll be interesting to see which direction they go in with the series.

And if he's appearing in Civil War, do you think he'll have to deal with
his identity being revealed
?

flkraven

Spidey needs to be young for this, just because the MCU doesn't have a character like that right now.

As much as I'd love to see an older Spidey, this makes total sense. Everyone in the MCU at this point is a veteran in the superhero biz. This is their opportunity to literally bring in the young blood and freshen things up.

Also, Marvel/Disney will want to get someone as young as possible so they can extract every last cent from this deal.

NimbusD

Who said J.K. Simmons had to return as JJJ?

0CUbO6w.gif

MAKE HIM THE NEW SPIDEY, MARVEL!!!

What I would give for them to just bring back Raimi spiderman universe and incorporate it into MCU.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Spidey - "NYC City was under attack, I was over on the other side of one of the biggest cities on earth fighting aliens with laser weapons with the power of punches. The media, thanks in part to Jameson, won't give me credit, so that's why I don't have a toy line."

Stark - "Huh, I thought you were just a ploy to sell tabloids."

There. Mystery solved.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So can we expect Bat vs Supes trailer to show up anytime soon? I mean DC/Warner needs to counter-attack this news with something :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spiderman cameo in Age of Ultron would be amazing.

Age of Ultron aftercreditscene.
Tony Stark is in Queens, looks on is phone: "20 Ingram Street in Forest Hills, Queens"
Tony: Yes, thats there I think.
He rings on the door, someone opens, camera switched to POV perspective of the person who opened the door.
Tony: Hello, are you Peter Parker? I need you help!

WinFonda

Well he did that really well! And with Sony constantly wanting to make Spiderman a love story, doing that right means he did good. I'd love to see a spiderman where they go deeper than just the love story, make it about more.

He did it well, since there's actual chemistry there, but the way it was woven into the film was almost voyeuristic. It felt like an Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone romance vehicle first, and a Spider-Man movie second. He made no lasting impression on me as either Parker or Spider-Man.

To add my 2 cents: you need a young and inexperienced spidey because you need an excuse for why hes been a complete no show this whole time. It's hard to swallow a late 20s spidey who has been doing his thing for almost a decade yet wasn't around when NY got ripped apart during Avengers 1

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Age of Ultron aftercreditscene.
Tony Stark is in Queens, looks on is phone: "20 Ingram Street in Forest Hills, Queens"
Tony: Yes, thats there I think.
He rings on the door, someone opens, camera switched to POV perspective of the person who opened the door.
Tony: Hello, are you Peter Parker? I need you help!

Doesn't sound like Tony.

So anyone wondering if they tried to make a similar deal with Fox for the Fantastic Four that didn't pan out? As much as I love Spider-Man's interactions with the MCU, I think it would be more mutually beneficial for the FF universe to have been merged in to MCU (especially with them going full force in to Cosmic Marvel). Then again, the type of stuff the FF deal with would have more worldwide repercussions that the rest of the MCU would have a hard time not being involved with and letting Fox keep the creative reigns on that kind of stuff would have been dicey.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I could see them being name-dropped, but anything beyond that would be very surprising.

Also, assuming it's too late to actually get Spidey in Cap3, post-credit teaser is practically guaranteed.

After all the chaos in Cap 3, the post-credit scene has to be JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson blowing his gasket at the superheroes. But it's an empty office, it's late, and he's all alone. Spider-Man swings by... sees Jameson is working late, and just says...

SPIDER-MAN: Go home, Jonah.

flkraven

After all the chaos in Cap 3, the post-credit scene has to be JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson blowing his gasket at the superheroes. But it's an empty office, it's late, and he's all alone. Spider-Man swings by... sees Jameson is working late, and just says...

SPIDER-MAN: Go home, Jonah.

Holy shit. Screw Cap 3. Put an after credit's JJJ teaser at the end of Ultron

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
To add my 2 cents: you need a young and inexperienced spidey because you need an excuse for why hes been a complete no show this whole time. It's hard to swallow a late 20s spidey who has been doing his thing for almost a decade yet wasn't around when NY got ripped apart during Avengers 1

We saw how long it took him to get to one side of one borough. He doesn't have rocket jets or a helicarrier. And he would have been fighting, rescuing people along the way. It makes absolute sense. NYC is enormous.

bengraven

Damn wish this was a complete rights transfer, but you can't blame Sony for not doing it. I'm just happy to see this! Oh fuck me, the moment, probably post credits, where you see Spider-man suddenly sweep down on the Captain or in front of Nick Fury and give a mocking salute...fuck me, there will be straight up man tears.

Fox, you paying attention!?

A v X summer 2020!

Moaradin

They're gonna go for a young spider-man for sure. They need someone that can carry the role for years to come. Especially when a lot of the established MCU actors are on their way out.

Top Bottom