• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
J3fmcVC.jpg

Oh god. Please. Let it be like this.

There doing it. Marvel is doing it. There is no reason not to now!!!!

This news is supercalafrajalisticexpialadosous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tobor

Could see this working. Thanos shows up, they beat him up hard, the Infinity Stones somehow create all the Inhumans: Mutants/Inhumans show up, people are afraid of them.

Kind of like the inFAMOUS games.

The Inhumans already exist in the MCU. Watch Agents of Shield season 2.

Bloomers

I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually really annoyed that they are pushing off the other movies just to squeeze Spidey in. It's starting to sound like he could potentially steal the focus away from other characters and reshape the entire direction of the MCU.
I.e does this mean for Black Panther's role in the Civil War movie is going to be reduced? Are the Inhumans even going to play a role in Infinity War now? And exactly how much control is Sony gonna have vs Marvel here?

EDIT: don't get me wrong though, this really is fantastic news

I just would have felt better about this had they announced him to kick off Phase 4, or run a TV series that runs into the Defenders before that.

For AoU they can simply do a Spidey teaser (masked) either swinging by or a blatant 10 second pan of the suit. One and done. No need to rush a casted actor this late into AoU. Cap3 is where it is at!

DeathyBoy

Banned
I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually really annoyed that they are pushing off the other movies just to squeeze Spidey in. It's starting to sound like he could potentially steal the focus away from other characters and reshape the entire direction of the MCU.
I.e does this mean for Black Panther's role in the Civil War movie is going to be reduced? Are the Inhumans even going to play a role in Infinity War now? And exactly how much control is Sony gonna have vs Marvel here?

I just would have felt better about this had they announced him to kick off Phase 4, or run a TV series that runs into the Defenders before that.

TV show would be great and before anyone is all 'but effects', the shit The Flash does on a CW budget every week is beyond ridiculous. Spider-Man with an ABC budget and, let's say Drew Goddard showrunning, would be beyond spectacular.

Magwik

Banned
For AoU they can simply do a Spidey teaser (masked) either swinging by or a blatant 10 second pan of the suit. One and done. No need to rush a casted actor this late into AoU. Cap3 is where it is at!
The movie is out in like 2 months. There won't be jack shit in AoU

Wilbur

Banned
Cool. Would have kept Garfield (but +vote for Zac Efron), wouldn't have moved Inhumans past IW2 (especially considering what's going on in AoS), but should be alright.

As an observer who thinks most the MCU films are average and are no better or worse than TASM2 (few exceptions of course), this is just a little bit of extra fun.

J3fmcVC.jpg

Man, it'd be so amazing if they were able to keep Spiderman's casting a secret - and have this scene be not just the announcement of Spidey, but the reveal of who's playing him.

There doing it. Marvel is doing it. There is no reason not to now!!!!

This news is supercalafrajalisticexpialadosous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hasn't he taken off his mask and revealed his identity WAAAAAAAAY too much in the Sony movies?

I'd much rather have him back to the "I can never take off my mask or else my life will be forever ruined" Peter Parker.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, this news clearly means we are getting Agent Venom in GOTG2.

jts

...hate me...
J3fmcVC.jpg

Man, it'd be so amazing if they were able to keep Spiderman's casting a secret - and have this scene be not just the announcement of Spidey, but the reveal of who's playing him.
You'd have to go to caveman levels of blackout to avoid that spoiler.

Boem

Has the Donald Glover as Spiderman campaign started again already? He missed out the last time, but this needs to happen.

It certainly sets it apart from the previous live action attempts at Spiderman, he's a fun actor and he would be a fresh voice among the other Marvel actors.

J3fmcVC.jpg

I don't get why people want this. Spidey in Civil War, I mean. The reason that moment was so good because it was the culmination of decades of stories and struggles maintaining his identity. For him to come out publicly had impact because of what came before

Spider-Man reveals himself in Cap 3? So what? The end of Iron Man would have more meaning and impact. Throwing Spider-Man into an MCU civil war that's been brewing between ideology and not secret identities, does make any sense story-wise

Whew.

Also,i just gotta ask.

Why in the hell would marvel sign a contract wherein a studio has access to a superhero indefinitely as long as they keep making movies.

Why the fuck would you sign this contract?

Marvel was in a really bad place when they sold those rights, a REALLY bad place

Giving away most of their non-Avengers characters to other movie studios helped get them out of their bankruptcy issues back in the late 90s/early 00s.

This is not true at all.

Game4life

Banned

Spidey is huge. He is iconic for the marvel brand. I have wanted a good spiderman film for years and finally there is a chance of getting it. I for one could not be happier that B or C grade heroes like Thor get sidelined for Spidey.

Slayven

Has the Donald Glover as Spiderman campaign started again already? He missed out the last time, but this needs to happen.

It certainly sets it apart from the previous live action attempts at Spiderman, he's a fun actor and he would be a fresh voice among the other Marvel actors.

You folks know Miles is like 13 years old right?

Marvel didn't just spend months working on a deal to get Spider-Man in the MCU just for Miles Morales. They're going to use Parker.

You guys need to really reevaluate what you know about big business if you honestly think Marvel isn't using Parker (Also they said it in the press release)

Ant-Man's absolutely going to be a pretty unexceptional film compared to what it could have been but I'm sure Feige et al won't let it be an absolute train wreck.

And I'm not sure why people think (Scott Lang) Ant-Man isn't already guaranteed for the Infinity War films.

Boem

You folks know Miles is like 13 years old right?

I don't know anything about Spiderman, I'm just a fan of Donald Glover and I know that there was a big campaign by fans (and Glover himself) to get him the part back when they were casting the previous reboot, and I know there were some nods to Donald Glover in the comics at the time (although I haven't read them myself). I don't know who Miles is, but I don't know why he can't be a bit older in the movie or why Peter Parker can't be black. Things get changed in the transition from comic to movie all the time. I mostly just think that Donald Glover could be a lot of fun in the part, whatever version of Spiderman he plays.

Top Bottom