• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Cuburt

Maybe this time in Civil War, the twist is the Spider-Man doesn't reveal his identity.

That is a big deal since he might be the only superhero so far that would have one or maybe he's the start of a movement of masked superheroes that have a secret identity in the MCU. Scott Lang and T'Challa are both masked and may not have their superhero identities known as well at that point, unlike all the Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D., and special people like Stephen Strange have all their info made public at the end of The Winter Soldier. If you throw in a masked Carol into the mix, BOOM
you have a team that can side with Captain America and be the rumored new team that Cap creates as the post-credits scene of Age of Ultron.

I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually really annoyed that they are pushing off the other movies just to squeeze Spidey in. It's starting to sound like he could potentially steal the focus away from other characters and reshape the entire direction of the MCU.
I.e does this mean for Black Panther's role in the Civil War movie is going to be reduced? Are the Inhumans even going to play a role in Infinity War now? And exactly how much control is Sony gonna have vs Marvel here?

EDIT: don't get me wrong though, this really is fantastic news

I just would have felt better about this had they announced him to kick off Phase 4, or run a TV series that runs into the Defenders before that.

I don't like them moving the dates either. Annoying.

Bloomers

Spidey is huge. He is iconic for the marvel brand. I have wanted a good spiderman film for years and finally there is a chance of getting it. I for one could not be happier that B or C grade heroes like Thor get sidelined for Spidey.

I would never disagree with you there. Spiderman was my favorite hero growing up. That being said, I take the exact opposite position: I would much prefer to see the new stories for the characters Marvel has already had to sideline over the years, over Spidey's 6th outing. He's had tons of time in the spotlight.

On a side note, the next Spidey film must have Venom as the one and only villain. No exceptions

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It's Marvel, they probably considered this shit well in advance. The costume shouldn't be hard to do given that Marvel prefers to stick relatively close to the comics when possible.

not only that but they are working WITH sony who did pull off the costume well more than once.

Mumei

Given the massive success of GOTG, I'm pretty sure Marvel knows its brand is strong enough to make lesser known properties into huge ones. BP, Marvel, Strange are all capable of being made into new money makers.

Hell, I expect any potential FF film would not be as successful as GOTG. FF aren't that beloved by the public, they're not Spider-Man. Look at the revenue Marvel already makes from Spider-Man when they don't even have the film rights, it's enormous, every year. He makes more money for them than everyone else combined. That's why he's the one they're after. The FF's worth isn't even the FF themselves, it's the other characters that come with them like Doom, Galactus or Surfer, the latter two of which fit right into the MCU's cosmic side, and the former is the strong villain they're lacking.

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart-full.jpg

Pretty impressive.

BFIB

Apologies if this has been covered, just saw this news.

So does this mean Sony is rebooting Spider-Man again to introduce him into the MCU, or are they picking up on Andrew Garfield's current run?

Slayven

I don't know anything about Spiderman, I'm just a fan of Donald Glover and I know that there was a big campaign by fans (and Glover himself) to get him the part back when they were casting the previous reboot, and I know there were some nods to Donald Glover in the comics at the time (although I haven't read them myself). I don't know who Miles is, but I don't know why he can't be a bit older in the movie or why Peter Parker can't be black. Things get changed in the transition from comic to movie all the time. I mostly just think that Donald Glover could be a lot of fun in the part, whatever version of Spiderman he plays.

There is your problem. Marvel is character first, actor a distant second.

I'm assuming this has been in the works for quite some time, and Marvel has likely done some prep for Spidey to have a significant role in Civil War.

But, if they only have time for a post credits scene, I actually think putting the spider bite as a scene would be awesome. That way we get a two minute origin, a tease of what's to come, and he's already Spidey when we get to the solo film.

Bloomers

Maybe this time in Civil War, the twist is the Spider-Man doesn't reveal his identity.

That is a big deal since he might be the only superhero so far that would have one or maybe he's the start of a movement of masked superheroes that have a secret identity in the MCU. Scott Lang and T'Challa are both masked and may not have their superhero identities known as well at that point, unlike all the Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D., and special people like Stephen Strange have all their info made public at the end of The Winter Soldier. If you throw in a masked Carol into the mix, BOOM
you have a team that can side with Captain America and be the rumored new team that Cap creates as the post-credits scene of Age of Ultron.

I was just about to post something like this. Let Spidey be a spokesperson for the masked heros' perspective and have him on Captain's side. And don't bother with another origin story- throw us right into the mix of his life.

I was just about to post something like this. Let Spidey be a spokesperson for the masked heros' perspective and have him on Captain's side. And don't bother with another origin story- throw us right into the mix of his life.

The Civil War film isn't going to be about secret identities, you guys. There are basically no heroes in the entire MCU with secret identities right now (until Daredevil comes out). It'll be a split about some other issue.

Okay...I'd be cool with this. Spidey revealing his identity now makes no sense story-wise without the narrative build-up showing why his secret identity is so important

TimFL

I can almost guarantee you that the Civil War plot wont be about secret identities. It makes no sense considering almost every single hero has no secret identity. It'll probably be about forcing the heroes to join a new SHIELD led by the government or something like that (so they have to report to someone etc. with Tony supporting the idea and Steve saying "no thanks, already went through that once").

-griffy-

Banned
Apologies if this has been covered, just saw this news.

So does this mean Sony is rebooting Spider-Man again to introduce him into the MCU, or are they picking up on Andrew Garfield's current run?

I think them saying they are taking Spider-man in a new creative direction implies a total reboot of the character to fit in with the MCU. I can't imagine them doing an origin for his first standalone movie in the MCU though, considering they are introducing him in a different MCU movie first.

All I want is confirmation that Black Panther won't be robbed of his debut.

Once that's confirmed, I'll be at total peace with BP movie being delayed.

I think them saying they are taking Spider-man in a new creative direction implies a total reboot of the character to fit in with the MCU. I can't imagine them doing a reboot for his first standalone movie in the MCU though, considering they are introducing him in a different MCU movie first.

It's really not necessary to depict Spidey's origin again, honestly. Everybody knows it already. He's one of those few superheroes who has really graduated out of comic books to be a part of the general public consciousness about superheroes.

All I want is confirmation that Black Panther won't be robbed of his debut.

Once that's confirmed, I'll be at total peace with BP movie being delayed.

He probably won't be, but I'll be surprised if spider man doesn't take up more of the spotlight than tony does now, with less emphasis on other avengers.

YES!!!!!! I have been wishing for this for awhile now.

It's sad that

He's going to be remembered as the guy who played spiderman in those mediocre films :(.

YES!!!!!! I have been wishing for this for awhile now.

It's sad that

worth it if we get jk simmons back
He probably won't be, but I'll be surprised if spider man doesn't take up more of the spotlight than tony does now, with less emphasis on other avengers.
I expect Marvel to handle this by deemphasizing his character with regard to plot in the broader MCU stuff (since Parker's own individual stories are usually about New York, not about the world, even though he's a seriously powerful hero) but letting him do a ton of really cool shit in battle. In order to stop him from outshining a bunch of other characters in that regard, I bet we'll see him do lots of team-up attacks with other heroes instead of kicking ass on his own.

Bloomers

The Civil War film isn't going to be about secret identities, you guys. There are basically no heroes in the entire MCU with secret identities right now (until Daredevil comes out). It'll be a split about some other issue.

Kevin Feige has mentioned government regulation over the heroes though, so the basic concept is still the same. Plus we don't know exactly how many heroes/inhuman-types will appear in AoU

Like I said earlier in the Civil War thread, it would be awesome if the post credits scene shows Norman Osborn getting sworn in to lead the government superhero initiative or whatever they call it. Then cut to a scene of Norman giving a monologue while putting on a costume that isn't revealed to be the green goblin outfit until the end of the scene. Then cut to Spider-man standing on a building and jumping off as soon as Normans monologue finishes.

-griffy-

Banned
It's really not necessary to depict Spidey's origin again, honestly. Everybody knows it already. He's one of those few superheroes who has really graduated out of comic books to be a part of the general public consciousness about superheroes.

Right, I meant I can't imagine them doing an origin instead of reboot in my post there.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
For all my bitching about Spidey delaying BP, I really do want him to show up in Netflix shows.

I know it's a pipe dream to have Marvel's biggest star in a TV show but having Netflix S2 with Daredevil Season 2, a few new series', a Punisher mini and some Spidey love thrown in there... That would be beyond awesome.

curb

Banned
If by that, you mean, like... 10 years down the line, maybe.

Absolutely. To me, they should do something along the lines of how the Ultimate comics went in that Peter
appears to die
, Miles becomes the new Spidey
even though we eventually find out that Pete eventually isn't actually dead
. That just seems ripe for a three film arc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Best part about getting Spidey is the sheer number of associated characters that come with him. It seems a large number of iconic villains have just been unlocked for the MCU.

Now about Doctor Doom...

Best part about getting Spidey is the sheer number of associated characters that come with him. It seems a large number of iconic villains have just been unlocked for the MCU.

Now about Doctor Doom...

Spidey has like...five villains that would justifiably be a big enough threat for something other than a Spider-Man movie. Sorry I don't think the Rhino is going to be the bad guy of Avengers 5.

Top Bottom