• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Lmo911

I'm assuming this has been in the works for quite some time, and Marvel has likely done some prep for Spidey to have a significant role in Civil War.

But, if they only have time for a post credits scene, I actually think putting the spider bite as a scene would be awesome. That way we get a two minute origin, a tease of what's to come, and he's already Spidey when we get to the solo film.

I'm still of the opinion Osborne needs to be the hook to Spider-Man. Shield is In ruins, civil war is going on, Osborne steps up as a noted geneticist to over see the super human issue. He's giving a speech, and suddenly Spider-Man! Keeps him mysterious, hints at the rivalry, and away we go!

NH Apache

Banned
this is my first helping of GAF crow

it's pretty gamey

It's an aquired taste.

I'm curious about the costumes as well. To me, Spidey seems like such a huge part of the civil war story that I wasn't sure what the hell marvel was gonna do.

Now, I can't freaking wait.

I really don't think the quality of the other films will drop due to Spider-Man entering the MCU. He belongs there. Can y'all imagine the possibility of seeing Spidey fight alongside the other Avengers in a Joss Whedon directed movie? The theater will go ape shit. I am so excited for this. The Marvel Universe was such a big part of my childhood and Spider-Man was always my favorite hero. I cannot wait to watch this on the big screen with my son.

Van

PiHjWvC.png

Boem

There is your problem. Marvel is character first, actor a distant second.

I don't see what the skin color of the actor has to do with how well he's able to portray the character, just like it's perfectly fine to make characters like Heimdall, Bond or Who black. Glover has the comedy chops, as well as being able to pull of action and serious scenes. His form of comedy feels a lot more natural than the previous two guys and more fitting with the rest of the MCU. But, going by your hostility, I suspect your mostly just disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing.

Cuburt

I can almost guarantee you that the Civil War plot wont be about secret identities. It makes no sense considering almost every single hero has no secret identity. It'll probably be about forcing the heroes to join a new SHIELD led by the government or something like that (so they have to report to someone etc. with Tony supporting the idea and Steve saying "no thanks, already went through that once").

No it won't be about secret identities since they've said as much. I think the reason they are going with T'Challa being a key part is because getting governments involved with superhero registration puts T'Challa and Wakanda in a unique position, potentially.

That doesn't mean that secret identities can't play a part in the overall story just a smaller thread that begins to subvert the idea of how the Superhero has played out thus far in the MCU. Right now it's super soldiers, spies, "gods" from another realm, science accidents, science experiments (assuming that's how the Maximoff twins have gotten their powers), and technology. Since we'll begin to see the rise of new hero archetypes like the masked vigilante (Daredevil) and secret mutants among the population (Daisy), maybe it could be woven in as this sort of undercurrent of fear from a surge of new "superhero people" appearing at a time when these existing superheroes involved in massive destruction with global threats are making people uneasy. There is even a way to make the theme more topical by having parallels to the fear some people have of a group like ISIS and their terrorism inspiring the average Muslim to want to join them. Then secret identities can carry the theme of fear of the unknown while the rest of the story would be more about the bigger picture of national security and who is accountable to who.

Don't know if I explained that well since I never read Civil War so I'm mostly going off what I know of the story as well as what I can compare it to what I know of the MCU. I think secret identities won't be a focal point, but the idea can be retooled to fit the ideological conflict as it would exist in the MCU without the weight of the long history of masked superheroes and secret identities that existed in comics.

Idde

I haven't read all of the fifty pages, but could someone fill me in? There's supposed to be a solo Spidey film on the 28th of juli, with him appearing in a Marvel film before. What's the most likely movie for him to appear in? Civil War, right?

TimFL

If they do the casting fast enough, there's still enough time to film it and edit it into the movie.

I volunteer, cast me Marvel. I do it for free... please?

They'll probably go with Logan Lerman considering he was the go to fan favorite the last few months + he has expressed interest in doing it.

Slayven

I don't see what the skin color of the actor has to do with how well he's able to portray the character, just like it's perfectly fine to make characters like Heimdall, Bond or Who black. Glover has the comedy chops, as well as being able to pull of action and serious scenes. His form of comedy feels a lot more natural than the previous two guys and more fitting with the rest of the MCU. But, going by your hostility, I suspect your mostly just disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing.

Don't presume to know me.

Wait, so this means no more Amazing Spider-Man then? A new series?

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

There were rumours that supposedly came from the leaked emails that Marvel wants to put Peter back in high school and avoid retreading the romance aspects of the other movies. They'd also skim over the origin story I assume.

I really hope they keep Garfield. I dug the first Amazing Spiderman, the sequel did suck though. I thought he was a good fit for the Parker/Spiderman role and he seems to really like playing the character.

J10

Banned

There were rumours that supposedly came from the leaked emails that Marvel wants to put Peter back in high school and avoid retreading the romance aspects of the other movies. They'd also skim over the origin story I assume.
If I were them I'd set his teenage origin parallel to iron man 1 and have him be older in the present.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Yeah ASM never really clicked on me. My fave spider man so far is still the second MacGuire movie.

They should really shorten the origin and never make it a huge part.

Yeah the Untold Tales of Spiderman or The Web of Spiderman or The Man of Tomorrow Spiderman

first pls

-griffy-

Banned
I haven't read all of the fifty pages, but could someone fill me in? There's supposed to be a solo Spidey film on the 28th of juli, with him appearing in a Marvel film before. What's the most likely movie for him to appear in? Civil War, right?

Civil War or Doctor Strange seem the only plausible ones, considering the timing. Unless they do a super quick casting and get him in an after credits tease for Age of Ultron or Ant-man.

Dash27

That sounds good to me. I like High School kid Spider Man. In over his head. Huge power and huge responsibilities, struggling to keep on top of shit as it happens around him. Especially with Infinity War coming I really like Spidey as more of the Common Man super hero.

Jarmel

Banned
Sinister Six doesn't make any sense at this point. I can see that either being delayed until there are more Spider-Man movies out or it morphing into a Thunderbolt movie.

I'm in the minority here but ASM was starting to grow on me. Having another reboot of Spiderman isn't that exciting to me especially since the Sinister Six were supposed to be in ASM3

I know they are going to skip the origin story and all but I wish the Spiderman lead would not be a revolving door.

I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually really annoyed that they are pushing off the other movies just to squeeze Spidey in. It's starting to sound like he could potentially steal the focus away from other characters and reshape the entire direction of the MCU.
I.e does this mean for Black Panther's role in the Civil War movie is going to be reduced? Are the Inhumans even going to play a role in Infinity War now? And exactly how much control is Sony gonna have vs Marvel here?

EDIT: don't get me wrong though, this really is fantastic news

I just would have felt better about this had they announced him to kick off Phase 4, or run a TV series that runs into the Defenders before that.

+1

Top Bottom