• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

StoopKid

So Sony Pictures, one of the largest media conglomerates in the world, are not going to try to monetize their largest franchise?

They should just sit back and...what?

Which makes me wonder if some of you are Spider-Man fans, why would you be opposed to more films in the Spider-Man universe?

Because it's sony.

The last good spiderman movie came out a decade ago.

Plus more bad movies could end the superhero boom.

Whoever they get as director needs to be sent a DVD of this:

standard_fantastic.jpg

And label it "Required Research Material".
I can't believe they cancelled the show after only 2 seasons. We can never have nice things can we.

Jigorath

Banned
Because it's sony.

The last good spiderman movie came out a decade ago.

Plus more bad movies could end the superhero boom.

These spinoffs aren't happening people. At least not without some sort of help from Feige. The only spinoff that might make sense is the Venom movie and that's years down the line. Calm down already.

Patriots7

Because the Spider-Man films now fit in Marvel's slate, & it would mean that Marvel has to fit them in somehow. Plus they'd ruin the reputation that the MCU built up, more so given that Sony doesn't exactly have the magic touch with Spidey movies.
Sony did not relinquish their rights to Spider-Man back to Disney.

Sony Pictures is corporation who's primary objective is to make money. Sony announced it saw its media division as a key driver of growth for the over all Company, aiming for $10bn+ of revenue per year by 2018 (centered around TV production and profitable blockbusters). It's ludicrous to believe that Sony is not going to try to create huge blockbusters that are based off their largest franchise.

Additionally, Walt Disney owns the merchandising rights to Spider-Man. Do you really think that they are against Sony creating new avenues (Venom/Carnage/Black Cat) for them to make money?

Jigorath

Banned
This boom has lasted since Blade in the late 1990s.

The train isn't stopping anytime soon.

How many awful superhero films have we had since this whole thing started?

X3
X-men Origins
Fantastic Four 1 and 2
Spider-man 3
ASM 2
Iron Man 2
Man of Steel
Green Lantern
Daredevil
Catwoman
Elektra

Yeah if those disasters couldn't kill the superhero genre then nothing can.

Neoxon

Sony Pictures is corporation who's primary objective is to make money. Sony announced it saw its media division as a key driver of growth for the over all Company, aiming for $10bn+ of revenue per year by 2018 (centered around TV production and profitable blockbusters). It's ludicrous to believe that Sony is not going to try to create huge blockbusters that are based off their largest franchise.

Additionally, Walt Disney owns the merchandising rights to Spider-Man. Do you really think that they are against Sony creating new avenues (Venom/Carnage/Black Cat) for them to make money?
Disney does care about the public opinion of the MCU. It's on a hot streak & they don't want it screwed up by Sony. Would merchandise still make money regardless of the Spidey movies' quality, yes. Would they make more money with good movies, hell yeah.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_njlaq5cZBo1thzqyjo1_500.jpg

Victoria Justice as Mary Jane/Gwen Stacy. Shes 22 shes perfect or

tumblr_njl2tkEWw41t4rjaxo3_250.gif

_1405357595.jpg

Jk Simmons already kind of slipped a hint about talks of himself to return as jjj

I vote we straight up bring back raimi and the old production

Anth0ny

Why do you think Sony made this deal with Marvel? If they wanted to keep making shitty Spider-Man spinoffs, they didn't need Marvel to help them with that. This was always the last resort: Sony drove the Spider-Man franchise into the ground, and need Marvel's help getting him back to the top.

If they know what's good for them, they'll do what Marvel tells them to do. I'm pretty sure shitty spinoffs based on a now dead universe (the ASM universe) are off the table for now.

Flintty

Back in high school? Movie Spidey's never really been in high school. For like a few scenes in Raimi's first, but you never got the sense he was a high school student. Same in ASM.

Exactly. Actually putting him in school for the majority of the film (see Ultimate Spiderman cartoon but better) will be awesome. Excited!

I really hope its established in the new film that Nick Fury has been mentoring Peter since he was in High School like in Ultimate Spider-Man. That was one of my favorite parts of the comics.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
_1405357595.jpg

Jk Simmons already kind of slipped a hint about talks of himself to return as jjj

I vote we straight up bring back raimi and the old production

I agree. I'd be so happy to have grown along side a super hero franchise. I loved the
end of x-men days of future's past where the old cast reassembled

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe we're not only getting freaking Avengers movies, but Avengers movies with Spider-Man in it, and people are STILL complaining.

If someone would have told me about Marvel movies 15 years ago I would have laughed in his face.

variety said:
A number of actors already have been mentioned as being considered for the role, including “The Maze Runner” and “Teen Wolf’s” Dylan O’Brien and the “Percy Jackson” franchise’s Logan Lerman. Lerman most recently co-starred in Sony’s “Fury.”

Calling bullshit on this. Dylan and Logan are just people that fan groups have been talking about none stop since the announcement. I doubt anything other than a Google search on "marvel spiderman casting" gave then this info.

They say immediately after that no actor has been approached at all for this. Sure Marvel and Sony likely have people in mind but I really doubt anyone outside of marvel or Sony have any idea who they are.

I also think they are bad fits for the role and not up to the job, marvel is on point with casting choices.

Ive got no real problem going back to high school I just can't deal with a half a movie spent getting Peter to use his powers correctly and then another half with him learning about great responsibility.

It's also a bit of a crap shoot if old uncle Ben is giving Peter the talk when the hulk is rampaging around with more power than anyone can control and being super irresponsible.

Calling bullshit on this. Dylan and Logan are just people that fan groups have been talking about none stop since the announcement. I doubt anything other than a Google search on "marvel spiderman casting" gave then this info.

They say immediately after that no actor has been approached at all for this. Sure Marvel and Sony likely have people in mind but I really doubt anyone outside of marvel or Sony have any idea who they are.

I also think they are bad fits for the role and not up to the job, marvel is on point with casting choices.

Ive got no real problem going back to high school I just can't deal with a half a movie spent getting Peter to use his powers correctly and then another half with him learning about great responsibility.

It's also a bit of a crap shoot if old uncle Ben is giving Peter the talk when the hulk is rampaging around with more power than anyone can control and being super irresponsible.

Wasn't Lerman mentioned as the top choice in the leaked Sony emails? That's where all this speculation began.

Wasn't Lerman mentioned as the top choice in the leaked Sony emails? That's where all this speculation began.
Can't seem to find anything. He was rumoured to be playing spiderman in ASM1 and news sites started going off their tits about it but he wasn't even in the running according to Sony.

Nizz

I can't believe we're not only getting freaking Avengers movies, but Avengers movies with Spider-Man in it, and people are STILL complaining.

If someone would have told me about Marvel movies 15 years ago I would have laughed in his face.
Yep. Never would I have thought that this MCU that we're experiencing would have ever worked out like this. If someone had told me back in like 2000 that so many Marvel characters would share the same universe onscreen, interconnecting their stories continuity-wise I would have said seeing is believing.

Those days are among us now, and as a Marvel fan I couldn't be happier. Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc. Now being joined by my favorite hero of all time. And a very promising looking Daredevil and other street level characters also sharing in this universe, damn!

Now if Marvel could start incorporating characters like Ghost Rider, hoo-wee. Now that they'll be tackling more supernatural elements like Doctor Strange I'm hoping we could get closer to Ghost Rider happening.

An awesome after credits scene in Age of Ultron would be seeing a teenager on a school field trip getting bitten by a spider and someone yelling out "hey Peter". Boom, origin taken care of right then and there.

FeD.nL

So since the reboot is real can we assume that the leaked potential directors list that Sony would like to get is also real:

• Brad Bird
  • Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee (‘Frozen’),
  • Damien Chazelle (‘Whiplash’),
  • Joe Cornish (‘Attack the Block’)
  • Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (‘Crazy, Stupid, Love’),
  • James Gunn (‘Guardians of the Galaxy’)
  • Don Hall and Chris Williams (‘Big Hero 6')
  • Phil Lord and Chris Miller (‘The LEGO Movie’)
  • Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (‘Kon-Tiki’),
  • Colin Trevorrow (‘Jurassic World’)
  • Edgar Wright
  • David Yates (the ‘Harry Potter’ franchise)
source

Of course James Gunn is out but Brad Bird for example only has 1906 announced without a date so he might be available.

Anth0ny

Yeah, this shit is like a dream come true. I've been waiting for this day since the whole Avengers plan was laid out all those years ago and I found myself asking the question: "Wait... what about Spider-Man?"

This is based Feige we're talking about here. He knows that the fuck he's doing. Look what they've done with these properties. Cap and Thor are A-tier superheroes. Guardians of the fucking Galaxy was a critical and commercial success like no one could have ever predicted. Black Panther and the other B-tier Marvel films will be fine. Spider-Man will be saved.
They'll get Fox to let them borrow Wolverine for Avengers 3

Just enjoy the moment. 2016. Civil War. Cap, Iron Man and Spidey. Damn.

FeD.nL

I don't think Brad Bird will sign for anything until Disney sees how Tomorrowland does this year.

Good point. Article also mentions that in the report Sony talks about two options either start with an older Peter or adapt Kraven's last hunt. That last option would certainly be interesting.

Edit: Quoting the paragraphs

Robinov goes on to suggest two options for a Spider-Man reboot: Option A would follow the “Kraven’s Last Hunt” story arc from the comics, long considered to be one of the best and most beloved Spider-Man stories. In that story, Kraven the Hunter shoots Spider-Man and leaves him for dead, then proceeds to don the iconic suit, using his new identity to attack criminals.

Option B would focus on Peter Parker/Spider-Man as an adult, having already been leading a dual life for years—this one sounds similar to ‘Batman vs. Superman,’ which sees Batman as a well-established crime-fighter and is based on the popular Frank Miller stories. Like the Batman franchise at Warner Bros., both Sam Raimi and Marc Webb’s ‘Spider-Man’ films have told the hero’s very familiar origin story, and it’s not really necessary to revisit his origin in yet another reboot.

So since the reboot is real can we assume that the leaked potential directors list that Sony would like to get is also real:

• Brad Bird
  • Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee (‘Frozen’),
  • Damien Chazelle (‘Whiplash’),
  • Joe Cornish (‘Attack the Block’)
  • Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (‘Crazy, Stupid, Love’),
  • James Gunn (‘Guardians of the Galaxy’)
  • Don Hall and Chris Williams (‘Big Hero 6')
  • Phil Lord and Chris Miller (‘The LEGO Movie’)
  • Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (‘Kon-Tiki’),
  • Colin Trevorrow (‘Jurassic World’)
  • Edgar Wright
  • David Yates (the ‘Harry Potter’ franchise)
source

Of course James Gunn is out but Brad Bird for example only has 1906 announced without a date so he might be available.
Damien Chazelle and Lord and Miller would be my top picks from that list. I think it is also safe to rule out Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish considering their falling out with Marvel.

Top Bottom