• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Alienous

tumblr_nf3dpoq25K1qzmkxwo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nf3dl7m6Tv1qzmkxwo2_400.jpg

Brazil201 for Spiderman. I'm 22 and look 17

Well it's a better way of being a superhero, that's for sure.

scabro

I wonder how long this has been in the works.

There were serious rumors The Avengers would have the Oscorp tower and the Stark toaer in it weren't there? But they decided not to for some reason?

There were serious rumors The Avengers would have the Oscorp tower and the Stark toaer in it weren't there? But they decided not to for some reason?
Sony leak suggests fairly recent.

Sony production had Sinister6 and Venom in preproduction too and they are on hold ready to be manipulated or cancelled now to fall in line with the MCU.

It's safe to assume that it's been talked about for a long time but only got really rolling post Sony leak.

Garfield getting the chop wasn't something Sony had planned for I don't think.

I think a deal was in place to have the Oscorp Tower in The Avengers but the design for it wasn't finalized in time so they had to scrap it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

This has been in the pipes for quite some time, at least to some degree. Disney and Sony did come to an agreement where Oscorp Tower would be included in the New York skyline in The Avengers, but that agreement came too late for the VFX guys to edit it in and deliver the movie in time. So yeah, I think it's safe to say Disney and Sony have talking superheroes for about 2 years now, but to what extend, is a massive unknown at this point.

I don't think Brad Bird will sign for anything until Disney sees how Tomorrowland does this year.

I don't think it actually matters. It's Spider-Man, not a new big-budget property with a ton of risk involved. He's respected, and a proven talent, regardless of how Tomorrowland does.

duckroll

I don't think it actually matters. It's Spider-Man, not a new big-budget property with a ton of risk involved. He's respected, and a proven talent, regardless of how Tomorrowland does.

No, you misunderstand. If Tomorrowland is a huge hit, he might not want to do Spider-man next (or at all). :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A high school kid is a great offset from all the already mature Avengers. Deal with it.

I dont care if hes a teenager. I want Sonys shit-movies not in Marvels Cinematic Universe. Why create a great universe like this and fill it then with Third-Party shit? Spidey can stay away when thats what we get then.

Or are suddenly Sonys Spider-Verse Movies good? Or Aunt May movies something we want? The last time I checked you all are a very different opinion ;)

kurahador

Imagine if Sony pulling out of the deal at the last minute ala Edgar Wright after seeing how massive the reaction for Spiderman cameo in CW/Doc Strange was and think they still can salvage ASM by themselves.

Massive bricks will be shat that year.

No, you misunderstand. If Tomorrowland is a huge hit, he might not want to do Spider-man next (or at all). :p

Yep. Sorry about that. I hope it's good, and is a hit, as I'd rather see Bird working on more original ideas. There's plenty of young, hungry directors that could use a big break like this.

The thing I don't get is why are they even calling this Marvel Civil War film "Captain America: Civil War".

IMO it just downplays how epic the film is now. It should just be called "Marvel Civil War".

The film is way bigger than just Captain America.

He ate Jon's lasagna one too many times.

#DEAD

The thing I don't get is why are they even calling this Marvel Civil War film "Captain America: Civil War".

IMO it just downplays how epic the film is now. It should just be called "Marvel Civil War".

Maybe because the deal they signed with Chris Evans includes 3 standalone Cap America movies?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
With Logan Lerman and Dylan O'brien being considered for the role it's like Disney's Genie himself pulled the notion straight out of my head. Love both of them.

duckroll

I don't think this will end up being true. It's a Captain America movie at the core, and will probably end up feeling more like a sequel to Winter Soldier than an Avengers movie in any way. The fact that a number of other Marvel characters will be popping up is irrelevant. Don't confuse fans getting excited for yet another cameo in the film with how "epic" it is going to be.

So Sony is still moving forward with female character from spider-man movie? what are the chances for Spider-Gwen movie set in alternate universe, which they could later brought in to MCU via Dr Strange since supposedly Dr Strange MCU deal with that sort of thing.

Man. This kinda sucks.

I know that the amazing spiderman movies are hated around here, but I really liked them. Thought they were a lot better than the old trilogy too. I also don't think that spiderman fits well into marvels cinematic universe, and yes, I know comics etc.

And come on, people who claim quality will only go up. Around half of marvels films are good, yeah, but the other half is average.

Iron man, Iron man 3, Avengers are all good. Supposedly captain america 2 is also really good but I haven't seen that one yet.

However..

Captain America, Iron man 2, Thor, Thor 2 (supposedly, haven't seen thor 2 either) are all pretty meh movies.

So it's not like they have a consistent high bar set in stone.

Oh well. It's happening.gif, still, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I do hope the new stuff is going to be great though. It's a damn shame they aren't continuing the storyline and are rebooting again though, especially because garfield was really good in the role.

Sami+

_1335385332.jpg

" I don't know. Just, uh... Um... I don't know, we could, I don't know, we could uh... Or we could do something else, or we could, with no... We, like, we could... "

"Yeah"

"Yeah? "

"Yeah, either one. "

"C H E M I S T R Y" #chemistry #reblog

Loved that scene, it was cute.

Silexx

@the_moviebob: Wildest rumor coming out of the SPIDER-MAN deal is Disney seeing this whole thing as Step One to just buying Sony (film division, I assume)

Don't know if this was already posted, but this would be freaking huge.

but why Sony, I was under impression their movie division is not that huge, lacking exploitable franchise other than Spider-Man and James Bond, which Sony doesn't owned themselves.

Jarmel

Banned
Good point. Article also mentions that in the report Sony talks about two options either start with an older Peter or adapt Kraven's last hunt. That last option would certainly be interesting.

Edit: Quoting the paragraphs

It's not going to be either of those.

Ithil

So Sony Pictures, one of the largest media conglomerates in the world, are not going to try to monetize their largest franchise?

They should just sit back and...what?

Which makes me wonder if some of you are Spider-Man fans, why would you be opposed to more films in the Spider-Man universe?

Probably because Sony's Spider-Man films are ass.

but why Sony, I was under impression their movie division is not that huge, lacking exploitable franchise other than Spider-Man and James Bond, which Sony doesn't owned themselves.
Columbia Pictures is one of the major studios so depending on the year they can fluctuate from #1 to #7 in terms of revenues. They had the #1 spot as recent as 2012. So they aren't small by any means.

However you are right in that they don't own many franchises that's worth significant cash. They just focus less on blockbuster franchises than other studios do.

The biggest reason for Disney to even buy them is Spider Man. But this deal takes away that reason, not reinforces it.

The last Spider Man film made less than $100M in profits for Sony, based on the leaked emails. Plus filmmaking is inherently risky. They aren't missing much considering they already make upwards of $1B per year on Spider-Man merchandising. It's simply not worth it. They're better off letting Sony continue to make free commercials for their toys.

Captain America, Iron man 2, Thor, Thor 2 (supposedly, haven't seen thor 2 either) are all pretty meh movies.

So it's not like they have a consistent high bar set in stone.

But those were still better than both TASM films. So, um, yeah.

Also, anyone else scared shitless of Sony still having control of spinoff films outside of Spidey himself. Them pushing forward with Sinister Six and Venom without being under Marvel's control scares the shit out of me. Especially if they try to force those films in MCU canon.

Ithil

Given the presence of Cap's supporting cast and Baron Zemo, it's clearly still a Cap movie, not an Avengers movie. Iron Man and Black Panther are in, but it's still going to revolve around Cap.

Jigorath

Banned

Also, anyone else scared shitless of Sony still having control of spinoff films outside of Spidey himself. Them pushing forward with Sinister Six and Venom without being under Marvel's control scares the shit out of me. Especially if they try to force those films in MCU canon.

Sigh.

TimFL

The last Spider Man film made less than $100M in profits for Sony, based on the leaked emails. Plus filmmaking is inherently risky. They aren't missing much considering they already make upwards of $1B per year on Spider-Man merchandising. It's simply not worth it. They're better off letting Sony continue to make free commercials for their toys.

Yeah until Sony makes another SM3/TASM2. It'd taint the MCU.

Im sure Marvel's equally scared about those prospects. They probably have something in the contract prohibiting Sony from using the MCU setting without Marvel's involvement. It's probably the same as Marvel using Spider-Man in their movies, which by all accounts will have Sony vet over and approve every detail of his appearance.

Yeah until Sony makes another SM3/TASM2. It'd taint the MCU.
The whole point of this deal is so Marvel can help fix Spider-Man. If you think Kevin Feige will let Sony screw with the MCU then you're vastly underestimating the Marvel machine.

Cheebo

Banned

They aren't forced into canon. They will be canon. The new Spider-Man film is part of the MCU any spin-offs of it by proxy are as well.

Top Bottom