• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They aren't forced into canon. They will be canon. The new Spider-Man film is part of the MCU any spin-offs of it by proxy are as well.

Yeah... that's a huge issue. Hopefully those movies get canned ASAP.

I have faith that Feige knows what he's doing, though. Maybe S6 will be canned and Venom will be rolled into a Feige produced Phase 4 MCU flick. I'm sure the last thing Disney wants is Sony releasing competing MCU films at the same time they're dropping a movie.

So is Amazing Spiderman 3 still coming or is this really it for Garfield?

Already canned.

But those were still better than both TASM films. So, um, yeah.

Definitely not as bad as Thor 2 or Iron Man 2. Not even close IMO. Then again I liked them, so...

Yeah, more mediocre Spidey films inbound!

Sony never should have canned Raimi and Maguire.

Some will never let go of the Raimi train. It's OK to like new stuff. I liked those too but damn, I'm not that hung up over it.

Wil348

I've been a huge Spiderfan since I was just little. I always used to dress up in a Spidey suit, play with Spiderman toys, and watch the Raimi movies religiously (though I have sadly never read the comics, at need to at some point but I'm not sure where to start).

Needless to say, this news made me really happy. It just didn't feel like Siny knew what they were doing with Spidey other than making money, and I just wanted to see him in the same universe as Marvel's other characters. Now it's happening. :)

Cream

Banned
Yeah, more mediocre Spidey films inbound!

Sony never should have canned Raimi and Maguire.

You mean they shouldn't have replaced the first mediocre Spiderman series with a second even more mediocre one? I agree.

Maguire sucked.

Cream

Banned
Raimi Spidey 1 and 2 were top tier though.

They were pretty good movies, but they weren't good Spiderman movies.

Maguire was a shitty Spiderman, an annoying Peter Parker, Dunst was HORRIBLE in all three movies, the only redeeming things were the villains and Jonah. and the music

Man. This kinda sucks.

I know that the amazing spiderman movies are hated around here, but I really liked them. Thought they were a lot better than the old trilogy too. I also don't think that spiderman fits well into marvels cinematic universe, and yes, I know comics etc.

And come on, people who claim quality will only go up. Around half of marvels films are good, yeah, but the other half is average.

Iron man, Iron man 3, Avengers are all good. Supposedly captain america 2 is also really good but I haven't seen that one yet.

However..

Captain America, Iron man 2, Thor, Thor 2 (supposedly, haven't seen thor 2 either) are all pretty meh movies.

So it's not like they have a consistent high bar set in stone.

Oh well. It's happening.gif, still, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I do hope the new stuff is going to be great though. It's a damn shame they aren't continuing the storyline and are rebooting again though, especially because garfield was really good in the role.

You lost me when you said Iron man 3 was good.

Solo

Some will never let go of the Raimi train. It's OK to like new stuff. I liked those too but damn, I'm not that hung up over it.

It's not about letting go, it's about Marvel Studios average output being firmly in the "meh" range whereas as even Raimi's failures were spectacular. Don't even get me started on S-M2, which might be better than all of Marvel Studios' cinematic efforts thusfar combined.

You lost me when you said Iron man 3 was good.

Iron Man 3 is the tits.

It's not about letting go, it's about Marvel Studios average output being firmly in the "meh" range whereas as even Raimi's failures were spectacular.

I really think some are so hung up on Sam Raimi and the idea of "reboots" that it clouds their opinions a bit. Not saying that's you specifically as you seem like a smart dude to me, but I've seen it.

pants

He's gone, thank God.

Nr5BDCw.gif

Solo

The only thing I liked about the last Iron Man movie was Ben Kingley's performance and the Mandarin swerve. Shit was hilarious.

Sanjuro

The only thing I liked about the last Iron Man movie was Ben Kingley's performance and the Madarin swerve. Shit was hilarious.

People hated that way too much. It was arguably the best part in the film.

No fun!

Iron Man 3 was fine. Average comic movie, with a decent score and some silly things.

So since the reboot is real can we assume that the leaked potential directors list that Sony would like to get is also real:

• Brad Bird
  • Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee (‘Frozen’),
  • Damien Chazelle (‘Whiplash’),
  • Joe Cornish (‘Attack the Block’)
  • Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (‘Crazy, Stupid, Love’),
  • James Gunn (‘Guardians of the Galaxy’)
  • Don Hall and Chris Williams (‘Big Hero 6')
  • Phil Lord and Chris Miller (‘The LEGO Movie’)
  • Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg (‘Kon-Tiki’),
  • Colin Trevorrow (‘Jurassic World’)
  • Edgar Wright
  • David Yates (the ‘Harry Potter’ franchise)
source

Of course James Gunn is out but Brad Bird for example only has 1906 announced without a date so he might be available.
Man I'd love Edgar Wright to get back to the MCU!

I think we should also consider Drew Goddard as a very likely candidate. We know both Marvel and Sony like him enough to give him major roles (Daredevil showrunner/Sinister Six director). Once S6 falls through, he'll probably be on tap for Spectacular Spider-Man.

Iron Man 3 is my favourite of the three.
Sure if you are okay with them taking Iron Man's biggest Silver Age enemy and making him a joke. The Mandarin could have been so cool. So much potential with his rings. Some of my favorite covers from the 60s and 70s had Mandarin on them, even some Hulk issues. They could have updated it from the racist "yellow menace." I thought from IM1 he was going to be from Afghanistan which would have fit with the Asian background. I even liked the Kingsley imagery and the propaganda videos. Why couldn't it have been real?! It's all a collusal waste :(

Cheebo

Banned
Man I'd love Edgar Wright to get back to the MCU!

I think we should also consider Drew Goddard as a very likely candidate. We know both Marvel and Sony like him enough to give him major roles (Daredevil showrunner/Sinister Six director). Once S6 falls through, he'll probably be on tap for Spectacular Spider-Man.
Devin Faraci the other day said Goddard dropped from Daredevil because he couldn't deal with working with Marvel directly, they were too controlling so he left. So I am not sure I'd consider him in good graces.

No it wasn't. Well more of a soft retcon I guess. It doesn't override the events in the movie .

yep it's the kinda retcon where they can say it was their plan all along.

which makes me happy because I loved the twist in IM3 but still want the real Mandarin. it makes that whole trevor business just another step towards the same thing they've been building up since Iron Man 1.

So since the reboot is real can we assume that the leaked potential directors list that Sony would like to get is also real:

The only director(s) on that list that I can see doing it are Lord and Miller, but I wouldn't personally be a fan of that choice.

Devin Faraci the other day said Goddard dropped from Daredevil because he couldn't deal with working with Marvel directly, they were too controlling so he left. So I am not sure I'd consider him in good graces.
How sure are we of that? It seems like he left mostly cause he'd to direct a major comic book movie.

Iron Man 3 is my favourite of the three.
Same

IM3 > IM > IM2

The Mandarian reveal kind of tainted the film and I felt Killian was a weak villian, but overall I enjoyed the third movie the most. Exciting inventive action scenes, stakes felt greater, nice character moments with Tony, etc.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No it wasn't. Well more of a soft retcon I guess. It doesn't override the events in the movie .
Yes it was.
It retconned that Killian just borrowed the Mandarin legend and now the real one wants to hunt down everyone involved in the hoax. So we can still get the real one in a future Iron Man movie.

...there is a Iron Man film called "One Shot"?

Interesting!

Hail to the King One Shot? On the Thor 2 Blu-Ray? Its as canon as any movie or any series in the MCU.

Sanjuro

Yes it was.
It retconned that Killian just borrowed the Mandarin legend and now the real one wants to hunt down everyone involved in the hoax. So we can still get the real one in a future Iron Man movie.

Hail to the King One Shot? On the Thor 2 Blu-Ray? Its as canon as any movie or any series in the MCU.

I have no idea what this is.

Does it specifically say that the events of the Iron Man series didnt exist?

Jarmel

Banned
Yes it was.

That's not a retcon. I'm pretty sure IM3 never directly states that Slattery was the only Mandarin or that the Mandarin didn't exist. Even if they did, you can chalk it up to unreliable narrator.

I think its a little annoying that Sony is involved at all. Great yes that Spiderman is now involved in the film universe of Marvel, but am I right in saying that Sony PERMANENTLY own all movie adaptations of Spiderman? I was under the impression it was some sort of timed exclusivity.

I have no idea what this is.

Does it specifically say that the events of the Iron Man series didnt exist?

No, it just backpedals a bit on the very end of Iron Man 3. We know Trevor Slattery was not the Mandarin, and it turns out Killian jacked the name from the actual Mandarin, who is now pissed that his name has been tarnished.

That's not a retcon. I'm pretty sure IM3 never directly states that Slattery was the only Mandarin or that the Mandarin didn't exist. Even if they did, you can chalk it up to unreliable narrator.

Yeah, Killian explicitly states "I am the Mandarin!" at the end of the movie. Whether he was just crazy or lying or they actually intended for him to be the "true" Mandarin (he's even got the tattoos), it's not clear in Iron Man 3 itself. The One Shot does confirm that it wasn't true.

Bizazedo

The last Spider Man film made less than $100M in profits for Sony, based on the leaked emails. Plus filmmaking is inherently risky. They aren't missing much considering they already make upwards of $1B per year on Spider-Man merchandising. It's simply not worth it. They're better off letting Sony continue to make free commercials for their toys.

What you have to remember, though, is Disney's confidence is probably at an all-time high. They probably think they can turn that less than $100M into at least triple that. Additionally, more resources = more movies, and they don't have to compete with them at certain times of the year.

Synergy!

But yeah, the purchase rumor is a bit nuts.

Top Bottom