• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Sanjuro

No, it just backpedals a bit on the very end of Iron Man 3. We know Trevor Slattery was not the Mandarin, and it turns out Killian jacked the name from the actual Mandarin, who is now pissed that his name has been tarnished.

Ehh, Killian explicitly states "I am the Mandarin!" at the end of the movie. Whether he was just crazy or lying or they actually intended for him to be the "true" Mandarin (he's even got the tattoos), it's not clear in Iron Man 3 itself. The One Shot does confirm that it wasn't true.

Oh, that's nothing then. Basically just a token if they have want to continue that villain arc in a future film.

Sanjuro

I mean, I've read comics for years and The Mandarin (or Iron Man for that matter) were just not super well known. I think most people now identify his biggest foe to be space aliens or The Dude.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh, that's nothing then. Basically just a token if they have want to continue that villain arc in a future film.

They won't, at least not for a long ass while. If they wanted to do a Mandarin movie, they would have done it in the first place.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If its a token to bring back the villain arc or not doestn matter. Its that what happened in the MCU. A One Shot is canon.
They stated that there is a real ten rings organisation with a real mandarin and Killians group were fakes. So thats what happend. Doesnt matter what you make of it.

bengraven

Are they allowed all of Spider-man's supporting cast/villains?

Would be stupid if they could only use the man himself.

Who doesn't want to see JJ ripping on Tony Stark?

Sanjuro

If its a token to bring back the villain arc or not doestn matter. Its that what happened in the MCU. A One Shot is canon.
They stated that there is a real ten rings organisation with a real mandarin and Killians group were fakes. So thats what happend. Doesnt matter what you make of it.

I haven't seen it, but from what people described, how is that a retcon?

I mean, I've read comics for years and The Mandarin (or Iron Man for that matter) were just not super well known. I think most people now identify his biggest foe to be space aliens or The Dude.

Yeah but he's still a classic villain that is both heavily tied to Iron Man and could actually provide a challenge for the Avengers at some point. It would have been smart to establish him earlier instead of setting up all that Ten Rings stuff then throwing a curve ball with Slattery/Killian.

The Mandarin was modernized in recent Iron Man runs and used heavily in stuff like Fraction's run, would have provided a good basis for bringing the character into the films.

Whether or not RDJ sticks around for it, I hope they give us that payoff with the real Mandarin in Iron Man 4.

I haven't seen it, but from what people described, how is that a retcon?

Retcon's just a bad choice of words, it serves a similar purpose to a retcon in that it allows for something they couldn't have narratively accomplished with what they had previously established, but it doesn't retroactively change any of the existing canon. Just adds to it.

EliteSpartan

Neo Member
This is a good move indeed. I always thought the earlier spiderman movies were just ok and it's exciting to see them find someone else to fill the role.

E the Shaggy

Are they allowed all of Spider-man's supporting cast/villains?

Would be stupid if they could only use the man himself.

Who doesn't want to see JJ ripping on Tony Stark?

I would certainly hope so. Norman Osborn creating a Dark Avengers team in the movies would blow my mind.

Sanjuro

I'm just glad Amazing Spiderman is dead due to this reason. They basically ruined everything moving forward for villains in that train wreck of a sequel. Those characters are mostly well known and living and breathing.

I get The Mandarin though, and have seen him pop up more in the previews lately. The Iron Man comics are kind of its own breed right now due to the films. Kind of like the old Wolverine push. It's just tough to toss in some of the lesser known villains and expect a large reaction from the audience. For that, I appreciate the Shane Black film for not taking him seriously. Not saying you can't touch back on that character again.

Didn't Orci write the ASM2 script? Maybe the shitty Star Trek script wasn't the only reason he was chucked off that project... Hopefully Orci and friends can't find work at Sony, Paramount or Disney now. Best news to come out of all this.

Goliath

So are there gonna be two Spider-Men? One produced by fox and one that cameos in Marvel movies?

Or is Disney gonna be the only ones making Spider-Man movies?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So are there gonna be two Spider-Men? One produced by fox and one that cameos in Marvel movies?

Or is Disney gonna be the only ones making Spider-Man movies?

Fox has no Spider-Man.

Sony and Marvel are going to share Spider-Man AFAIK. Both actor- and story-wise.

Blader

That's not a retcon. I'm pretty sure IM3 never directly states that Slattery was the only Mandarin or that the Mandarin didn't exist. Even if they did, you can chalk it up to unreliable narrator.

The first two movies also already established a real Mandarin and a real Ten Rings terrorist group.

I would've thought that IM3 would reveal Killian was behind those operations, but they never made that connection and even went out of the way to make Killian and Slattery their own thing.

Red

The ten rings were established in IM1, they are the guys who abducted Tony and set the whole thing off.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The first two movies also already established a real Mandarin and a real Ten Rings terrorist group.

I would've thought that IM3 would reveal Killian was behind those operations, but they never made that connection and even went out of the way to make Killian and Slattery their own thing.

The short "All Hail The King" confirms it.
Slattery gets a visit from someone from The Ten Rings, who tells him he works for someone who'd like his name back.

You lost me when you said Iron man 3 was good.
Iron Man 3 kind of spoiler.
I was really positively surprised how heavily the avengers had affected him mentally. I thought it was exceptionally cool as I'd expected them to practically ignore that it happened as if it was old school spinoff.

Cap 2 was AMAZING! You really should watch it.

I will. Hoping for a netflix release soon.

But those were still better than both TASM films. So, um, yeah.

Also, anyone else scared shitless of Sony still having control of spinoff films outside of Spidey himself. Them pushing forward with Sinister Six and Venom without being under Marvel's control scares the shit out of me. Especially if they try to force those films in MCU canon.
I disagree. Heavily. There were plot holes, but there are in a lot of modern blockbusters (unfortunately). I also really hope they are still planning those spinoff movies.

what story do you want his solo movie to be?

Kraven's Last Hunt would be ill

All I know is that I don't want to see Green Goblin for quite some time.

KLH would be a great end/near end to this Spidey's whole run. It all depends on how many films the deal is for. I'd like a 6 solo-film deal + 3 crossovers so they could do something like:

1. Spidey at his start, less-used villains like Shocker, Mysterio etc. Osborn just a CEO with mental issues. Brock is Parker's rival throughout whole series, don't hate each other but not friendly.
2. Kingpin, spider-slayers co-developed by Osborn. Maybe a Daredevil or Punisher appearance/team-up? Octavius introduced.
3. Green Goblin, someone close to Peter dies by the hands of Osborn. Osborn apprehended. Doc Ock's unfortunate accident.
4. Darker time for Pete, Symbiote origin of the 90's animated series. Ock goes mad-scientist, Spidey uses the symbiote to defeat Ock but almost kills him, gets rid of it. Brock becomes Venom, fights and defeats Spidey just to prove he can, isn't a straight-up villain.
5. Kraven's Last Hunt. Pete/Spidey and Felicia/Black Cat friendship/romance. Ends with Osborn escaping prison and builds the Sinister Six. Kraven offs himself.
6. Sinister Six. Goblin, Ock, Sandman, Electro, + 2 others. Spidey is overwhelmed and barely escapes the first battle. The 6 kidnap/kill Aunt May/whoever and Pete goes off (still recovering) to rescue/get revenge, Venom finds him and the two of them fight the 6 and win.

Crossovers would be Civil War and 2 Avengers.

If they only plan 3 solo movies, I don't want to see a Goblin at all. They could do whatever they want then, it doesn't really matter to me.

Munkyspace

I feel like Spider-Man's been done to death at this point with everyone scrambling to retain the rights to the character.

Good news for Marvel, I suppose.

Neoxon

Kevin has all the say in 2017 SM. He has no say in the spin-offs.
But let's be honest, those spin-offs aren't happening. Sony wouldn't make this deal, that's gonna save the Spider-Man brand, only to screw it over with those spin-offs. Plus since they're sharing, Spidey now fits into the MCU slate. Phase [Insert Number Here] would be bloated as hell with a ton of Spider-Man spin-offs.

ZeroFate

KLH would be a great end/near end to this Spidey's whole run. It all depends on how many films the deal is for. I'd like a 6 solo-film deal + 3 crossovers so they could do something like:

1. Spidey at his start, less-used villains like Shocker, Mysterio etc. Osborn just a CEO with mental issues. Brock is Parker's rival throughout whole series, don't hate each other but not friendly.
2. Kingpin, spider-slayers co-developed by Osborn. Maybe a Daredevil or Punisher appearance/team-up? Octavius introduced.
3. Green Goblin, someone close to Peter dies by the hands of Osborn. Osborn apprehended. Doc Ock's unfortunate accident.
4. Darker time for Pete, Symbiote origin of the 90's animated series. Ock goes mad-scientist, Spidey uses the symbiote to defeat Ock but almost kills him, gets rid of it. Brock becomes Venom, fights and defeats Spidey just to prove he can, isn't a straight-up villain.
5. Kraven's Last Hunt. Pete/Spidey and Felicia/Black Cat friendship/romance. Ends with Osborn escaping prison and builds the Sinister Six. Kraven offs himself.
6. Sinister Six. Goblin, Ock, Sandman, Electro, + 2 others. Spidey is overwhelmed and barely escapes the first battle. The 6 kidnap/kill Aunt May/whoever and Pete goes off (still recovering) to rescue/get revenge, Venom finds him and the two of them fight the 6 and win.

I like this, but can't see them doing 6 films with the same Spidey in the MCU. Especially with their current (unofficial?) trilogy rule. At most they'd probably do what they're rumored to be doing with Cap (Winter Soldier taking the mantle for his own set of movies). Just with Miles Morales (or Ben Reily?! I want my Scarlet Spider) instead.

I just want them to play up Peter being influenced by the current Avengers. I posted this in one of the trillion current Spidey threads as an example:

Imagine a scene where 10 year old Peter Parker is sitting at home watching TV. What's on? A press conference featuring tech-guru and playboy billionaire Tony Stark. Peter's wondering where the heck his saturday morning cartoons are until he hears the now infamous words: "I am Ironman." Peter goes wide-eyed. End scene.

This has to be in either Civil War or his solo flick! Such an underrated iconic ending to one of the best movies in the MCU. Deserves a callback IMO.

guek

Banned

Crossovers would be Civil War and 2 Avengers.

If they only plan 3 solo movies, I don't want to see a Goblin at all. They could do whatever they want then, it doesn't really matter to me.
Way too may movies there. At most, we'll get a tetrology but most likely just your standard trilogy. Planning for 6 is asking for way, way, way too much.

Way too may movies there. At most, we'll get a tetrology but most likely just your standard trilogy. Planning for 6 is asking for way, way, way too much.

Well, that's what I want.

And as my dad always said, "What you want and what you get, are two different things."

Raiku

Cool now they can cast Sarah Gadon as MJ like it was supposed to be.

Sarah-Gadon1.jpg

Also pls no more high school antics. Pete as science teach and MJ as supermodel kthanx.

Neoxon

Cool now they can cast Sarah Gadon as MJ like it was supposed to be.

Also pls no more high school antics. Pete as science teach and MJ as supermodel kthanx.
All reports indicate that the Spider-Man of the MCU will be in high school, & be played by someone younger than Andrew Garfield (who's 31 I believe).

But let's be honest, those spin-offs aren't happening. Sony wouldn't make this deal, that's gonna save the Spider-Man brand, only to screw it over with those spin-offs. Plus since they're sharing, Spidey now fits into the MCU slate. Phase [Insert Number Here] would be bloated as hell with a ton of Spider-Man spin-offs.

Spidey proper is part of the MCU but I'm not sure that Marvel will consider the spinoffs part of it. Can't imagine they'd want films they have no say in dictating what happens in their universe.

Neoxon

Spidey proper is part of the MCU but I'm not sure that Marvel will consider the spinoffs part of it. Can't imagine they'd want films they have no say in dictating what happens in their universe.
But assuming Sony uses the same actor, it would damage the brand which would in turn damage the MCU. I'm sure Marvel wouldn't want that.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Ugh. I'm so goddamn sick of high school Spiderman. Now we get to have yet another movie focused on a twenty something surround by other twenty and thirty somethings all pretending to be highschoolers. Ugh. At least make him a senior and have him graduating by the end of the movie so he can at least appear to be an adult next to the rest of the Avengers.

Neoxon

Ugh. I'm so goddamn sick of high school Spiderman. Now we get to have yet another movie focused on a twenty something surround by other twenty and thirty somethings all pretending to be highschoolers. Ugh. At least make him a senior and have him graduating by the end of the movie so he can at least appear to be an adult next to the rest of the Avengers.
The whole idea around a teenage Spider-Man is to make him a contrast to the older Avengers. Like I said before, Marvel doesn't have a lot of young heroes that are compelling & are able to be used right now (their best one currently is Kamala Khan, & she requires Captain Marvel & the Inhumans to be well-established). On top of that, Marvel wants Spider-Man to headline the MCU in the foreseeable, so they need to future-proof him as far as casting goes.

Cheebo

Banned
The spin-offs by will be canon regardless if Marvel intends them to be or not. The solo Spider-Man film is officially MCU and this Spider-Man will appear in movies like Civil War.

When characters from these Marvel "approved" movies appear in spin-offs as the same characters played by the same actors and impacting what goes on in the mainline Spider-Man movies....that makes them pretty clearly canon. Feige involvement or otherwise.

If the spin-offs go through still with no Marvel Studios involvement that puts Marvel Studios in the position of letting Sony have free reign to play around in the MCU which is why I am thinking in the end the spin-offs won't happen or Feige and co. will eventually sign on as producers.

But any movie Sony puts out that takes place in this Spidey-verse using the same universe/characters as the mainline Spider-Man films will be canon by proxy for the MCU.

Either way if you have the same actor in both people will assume anyway.
The spinoffs might not need Spidey to have a big role and they don't need him unmasked, so it's not an absolute necessity for them to use the same actor.

The new Spidey actor will be under contract with Marvel since he's appearing in Cap CW, so Sony might not even get to use him for anything Marvel's not involved with.

Top Bottom