• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So I was watching Giant Bombs hilarious hilarious Mario Maker DMX level and went down the YouTube rabbit hole to their Nintendo Direct 2014 live broadcast. I skipped the whole event other than watching the Zelda trailer but around the 40 minute mark, Nintendo announced Splatoon.

It's interesting to hear and see how the game has evolved since that initial showing at E3. The Giant Bomb crew kind of downplay the initial unveiling - "is this a downloadable game or full price?" Etc. But you get to hear some of the original gameplay philosophies from the team and see how Saltspray Rig has evolved. What I found most interesting was a map that had sort of the same aesthetic as Saltspray but wasn't one of the original maps released and hasn't been shown after that IIRC.

WALKMAN04

Ok, here goes. About lag.

Some say don't complain about the lag, it's part of every online game experience. But I believe for those us in Europe it is a bigger problem. Especially in last couple days I've experienced the following:

9) Teleporting players. Multiple occasions but once I saw someone jumping to the tower. I was on it and he missed the tower for some reason and evidently dropped to water. But immeaditely after he reappeared and landed on the tower. There was no other players there. Also seeing quick jump icon on the ground and then seeing it move around, raising up to a tower for example.
[/URL]
The moving jump icon isn't due to lag I think, it happens to me quite often on tower control, I think the game just has a problem recognizing where the jump is near the tower.

Geg

Yeah I saw the moving icon thing in one of our games today. It was my first time seeing it so at first I was like whoa what but yeah I assumed it was due to the tower moving

WALKMAN04

So I was watching Giant Bombs hilarious hilarious Mario Maker DMX level and went down the YouTube rabbit hole to their Nintendo Direct 2014 live broadcast. I skipped the whole event other than watching the Zelda trailer but around the 40 minute mark, Nintendo announced Splatoon.

It's interesting to hear and see how the game has evolved since that initial showing at E3. The Giant Bomb crew kind of downplay the initial unveiling - "is this a downloadable game or full price?" Etc. But you get to hear some of the original gameplay philosophies from the team and see how Saltspray Rig has evolved. What I found most interesting was a map that had sort of the same aesthetic as Saltspray but wasn't one of the original maps released and hasn't been shown after that IIRC.
I know all those maps evolved into something we have now, but I would love to play them, they look so different from their current versions and I want to know how they would play out.

_Isaac

I like how they were really concerned about the gyro aiming. I also like how they were making fun of the devs going into too much detail on everything. I've noticed Nintendo seems to do that a lot. They sometimes over explain that are already kinda easy to understand and aren't even that big. Like how they were talking about the waypoints in the new Zelda like it was a big deal.

J@hranimo

Banned
Kas we're trying to wait on Kevin to come back, sorry for us sitting in the lobby for so long :/

and nvm, he just said in Discord that he's done z__z

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas we're trying to wait on Kevin to come back, sorry for us sitting in the lobby for so long :/

Lmao I'm just messing around. On that Port Mackerel match I thought we were going Splat Zones then realized during the match it was Rainmaker.

Even though it was 3 v 4 I thought we had a chance. Was going to try to break the line then plank beacons above their splat zone.

J@hranimo

Banned
Lmao I'm just messing around. On that Port Mackerel match I thought we were going Splat Zones then realized during the match it was Rainmaker.

Even though it was 3 v 4 I thought we had a chance. Was going to try to break the line then plank beacons above their splat zone.

Oh that was my bad...see before I realized Kevin was out I initiated the match and thought "Shit, Kevin said he'll brb. Oops." So me and Ryechu said we would throw the match so we could start the next one quickly.

Also GGs to everyone in the private lobby tonight! Rainmaker is definitely the best game mode now. I'm super tired though z__z...

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Greetings SplatGAF!

My account was just activated, so what follows will be a bit of a long overdue make-up intro post.

Firstly, I must apologise for sneaking my way into SplatGAF prematurely prior to joining; it was mere luck that a few people decided to add my NNID after lurking the SplatGAF OTs. Despite lacking any real direct means of communicating with any of you, making it somewhat difficult join in on all the fun, on the off-chances when there has been GAF room going at the right time, it has always been a blast!

From memory, long overdue GGs are in order for Violet O and Sendou for their excellent charger play, Azure J for keeping his cool whilst using his Inkbrush, Nico_D for the various Squad Matches, and anyone else who I’ve played with over the past few months for being awesome players.

Already on board with the Discord Rooms, and will get to adding my NNID to the spreadsheet soon. Looking forward to playing with you all more often! :)

Sendou

Greetings SplatGAF!

My account was just activated, so what follows will be a bit of a long overdue make-up intro post.

Firstly, I must apologise for sneaking my way into SplatGAF prematurely prior to joining; it was mere luck that a few people decided to add my NNID after lurking the SplatGAF OTs. Despite lacking any real direct means of communicating with any of you, making it somewhat difficult join in on all the fun, on the off-chances when there has been GAF room going at the right time, it has always been a blast!

From memory, long overdue GGs are in order for Violet O and Sendou for their excellent charger play, Azure J for keeping his cool whilst using his Inkbrush, Nico_D for the various Squad Matches, and anyone else who I’ve played with over the past few months for being awesome players.

Already on board with the Discord Rooms, and will get to adding my NNID to the spreadsheet soon. Looking forward to playing with you all more often! :)

Hello there! I was wondering why I couldn't find you saying anything on this thread :p I'm a fan of your Gal gameplay. Hope we can play more soon.

R.D.Blax

Greetings SplatGAF!

Wait ! You are telling you weren't with gaf from the begining ? How did you end up on my friend list then ?! How well, welcome to splatgaf then !

phanphare

Banned

lol, that mario level was great

also love the GB guys because they may play up the snark but they keep it real most of the time. seeing them be luke warm about something but coming around to it later is a big reason why I like those guys. I've noticed a lot of people in the gaming industry get their first impression of something and then it's like a personal challenge to stick with and justify that first impression even if the game evolves over time into something pretty awesome.

Greetings SplatGAF!

Welcome to splatgaf we are one of the best communities here :)

Sendou

That ココア is a famous Japan lag roller, there's some videos on Niconico playing with him. Not surprise the match is lag as hell when he's in the room.

"Cocoa(ココア) is pretty famous malicious player in Japananese splatoonverse.
And his technique was named "Cocoa Shin Ken(ココア神拳)".
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/ココア神拳

(06:13~)http://nicoviewer.net/sm26420309
(02:10~)http://nicoviewer.net/sm26466468"

I have to say I'm amazed lol.

Rize_21

Man, I wish I had a cold blooded shirt with ink recovery up as triple sub... I got a shirt with some crappy subs, let's pay a visit to Spyke.
0svCGRb.jpg

Welp. Feel good indeed.

J@hranimo

Banned
Greetings SplatGAF!

Welcome to the freshest community around! I think I've been in a game or two with you a while back, your name is familiar. You play gal weapons right?

Geg

That ココア is a famous Japan lag roller, there's some videos on Niconico playing with him. Not surprise the match is lag as hell when he's in the room.

"Cocoa(ココア) is pretty famous malicious player in Japananese splatoonverse.
And his technique was named "Cocoa Shin Ken(ココア神拳)".
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/ココア神拳

(06:13~)http://nicoviewer.net/sm26420309
(02:10~)http://nicoviewer.net/sm26466468"

I have to say I'm amazed lol.
lol weird, I played against someone yesterday whose name was Cocoa in English and they were lagging pretty bad, though they weren't using a roller

L95

I just wanna level up to get the stupid octo tee today but I can't get into any matches/get kicked out after 30 seconds asdfghjyhtrewqwetrhyy

Ahnez

After so many games, I'm surprised I managed to stay in the same rank, with exactly 1 point more than when I started lol

Just ~150k more and I'll have all the weapons lol

Jims

Anyone want my Trail Boots?

I went through my equipment and noticed I accidentally had a rare combo sitting in my equipment backlog. Ink Recovery + Ink (Sub) Saver, despite the boots being Inkline. I hadn't started re-rolling stuff, so they must've just been that way.

Mp4iluZ.jpg

(Ew, I look like such a nerd.)

Ended up making a .96 Gal Deco "Stay alive forever" build for Rainmaker. The boots + Splash Wall to buy time. Tenacity + Special Charge Up for lots of Krakens. .96 Gal Deco is utterly broken on Port Mackerel Rainmaker, so that was fun to try out.

Thinking maybe the boots would be good for a Ninja Burst Bomb build? Maybe Ninja Squid + Bomb Throw Up?

nom

ChrisD

Guys, whats the best way to get the abilities you want on your gear? Is it just random as hell? Is theee a secret to rerolling that I dont know?

The first, with skewed percentages. Certain brands get you 5 times the percentage of specific abilities for each roll (30%) while cutting the percentage for another in half (3%). Rockenberg is Run Speed Up preferred, Swim Speed Up rare, for example. Some brands like Famitsu, The Squid Girl, and Cuttlegear are just a 6% chance of everything, so ultimate random.

Ikon

How long do you guys think this game will have a healthy community? I'm thinking about picking it up but don't want to do so if it's begun to shrink significantly already.

I cant believe it took so long to find a decent picture of this hat. But there is a hole for the guys just like with Capt Cuttlefish.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkYlMuzCg

Someone in our squad matches just now was wearing the girl squid version. I definitely like the guy squid Bison hat better >.>
How long do you guys think this game will have a healthy community? I'm thinking about picking it up but don't want to do so if it's begun to shrink significantly already.
I'm not sure about the US and Europe but based on the MC threads you and the Japanese could still be playing this in 2020.

ryechu

Someone in our squad matches just now was wearing the girl squid version. I definitely like the guy squid Bison hat better >.>

I'm not sure about the US and Europe but based on the MC threads you and the Japanese could still be playing this in 2020.

Damn though. This guy did a lot of turf wars, if his rank is any indication.

Top Bottom