• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Codeblue

How long do you guys think this game will have a healthy community? I'm thinking about picking it up but don't want to do so if it's begun to shrink significantly already.

The game is showing crazy legs, the community is dedicated, and Nintendo is backing the game with tournaments in at least two regions. If anything, the community is only growing at this point.

Azure J

How long do you guys think this game will have a healthy community? I'm thinking about picking it up but don't want to do so if it's begun to shrink significantly already.

Splatoon hasn't stopped growing since launch and the content drip is sustaining a lot of enthusiasm. The maps being developed and launched now are also content that exceeds what was initially on disc so I imagine that if the powers that be really wanted to, there could be a number of additions done to the base game via weapons, more maps or modes that could be shaken up just for keeping the userbase strong.

That all said, I definitely think that Splatoon's got a long life ahead of it with the only possible exception being if Splatwoon becomes a thing sooner rather than later.

It's still selling well, so no worries about the community dying soon.

Wait ! You are telling you weren't with gaf from the begining ? How did you end up on my friend list then ?! How well, welcome to splatgaf then !

You're looking at a classic case of lurking. They add the people that openly share their NNID and they spread like a virus*, much like Guy Sloth and Master A1. They're generally interested in joining GAF anyways, so there's no harm.

*I don't mean this in a bad way, but that's the best way I can describe it right now. =P

Anyone want my Trail Boots?

I went through my equipment and noticed I accidentally had a rare combo sitting in my equipment backlog. Ink Recovery + Ink (Sub) Saver, despite the boots being Inkline. I hadn't started re-rolling stuff, so they must've just been that way.

Mp4iluZ.jpg

(Ew, I look like such a nerd.)

Ended up making a .96 Gal Deco "Stay alive forever" build for Rainmaker. The boots + Splash Wall to buy time. Tenacity + Special Charge Up for lots of Krakens. .96 Gal Deco is utterly broken on Port Mackerel Rainmaker, so that was fun to try out.

Thinking maybe the boots would be good for a Ninja Burst Bomb build? Maybe Ninja Squid + Bomb Throw Up?
I wouldn't mind ordering those boots.
edit: damn it double post.

Ahnez

It is still growing actually

With the constant updates and events happening every 2~3 weeks, I doubt it will slow down soon

I would not be surprised if the community outlives the Wii U itself

Personally, I'm kinda of glad that games like Xenoblade X, Zelda and Final Fantasy XV are far from release.. I would end up not playing them if they released now lol

Ikon

Cool, going to pick it up tomorrow then.

One thing I've been trying to understand is how the gyro controls work but I haven't been able to find a YouTube clip that shows it yet. Anyone have a clip up or know of one?

It is still growing actually

With the constant updates and events happening every 2~3 weeks, I doubt it will slow down soon

I would not be surprised if the community outlives the Wii U itself

Personally, I'm kinda of glad that games like Xenoblade X, Zelda and Final Fantasy XV are far from release.. I would end up not playing them if they released now lol

Yeah, I've got so many games sitting in my backlog now that I stopped buying new ones. I should probably thank Nintendo for saving me money LOL
Do you guys think turf wars should be allowed in competitive matches?

The final of the Ink or Sink was pretty much all turf wars and not everyone seems happy about it.
Considering that it's the game's main mode I don't really understand why it should be excluded from competitions, unless having a mode where the main focus isn't always splatting is counter to competitive play or something. I think it's different and will force a wider display of skills into these competitions personally.

Geg

I'm gonna tear myself away from Splatoon to play MGSV in September but it'll be hard

But yeah I was originally planning to spend a lot of my summer replaying a few games I haven't touched in a while because there wasn't anything releasing between Splatoon and MGSV I was interested in but I was not expecting to get addicted the way I did

DaBoss

The finals of the event should have had every mode in play (so Turf War, Splat Zones, and Tower Control when the tournament was started). Can't believe they thought just having one type of game type was a good idea for the finals.

Jims

I wouldn't mind ordering those boots.
edit: damn it double post.

OK, I'll have to bring 'em next time I go into a GAF room.

Do you guys think turf wars should be allowed in competitive matches?

The final of the Ink or Sink was pretty much all turf wars and not everyone seems happy about it.

Is it just because of the perception that only the last 30 seconds of the match counts? I guess I see the competitive problems with it. But at the same time, if you're allowing your team to get wiped at the most important point of the match... Well, maybe your team shouldn't have won that one.

As being a grand finals format, though, not so sure about that.

Robotguy

The finals of the event should have had every mode in play (so Turf War, Splat Zones, and Tower Control when the tournament was started). Can't believe they thought just having one type of game type was a good idea for the finals.
Well, it wasn't supposed to be, it just happened due to the mode banning rules they had in place for grand finals. But yeah, I think they should have it so that at least in the finals every mode should be played.

ChrisD

I can guarantee, if anyone was curious, that losing connection varies in its penalty. Lost 1 point last time it happened. But just now I lost 5 points, tried another hoping it was a fluke, and lost 6(!) points for getting a "Connection is unstable" disconnect.

S 41 to S 30. My money supply. :(

jnWake

I know all those maps evolved into something we have now, but I would love to play them, they look so different from their current versions and I want to know how they would play out.

Beta Saltspray and Arowana look amazing. They seem to use different assets.

ryechu

damn azure i was hoping your kraken would run out right in front of the sprinkler and you woudlve been killed by it. my death cost us the match.

Edit: I'm literally handing my team the victory on a silver platter and they arent biting. Its like last stand mode for the north.

Azure J

I don't think Turf Wars should be excluded from high level play or in GFs/WFs of a tournament, but I definitely think that there should be a variety of modes picked for determining these things.

Azure J

damn azure i was hoping your kraken would run out right in front of the sprinkler and you woudlve been killed by it. my death cost us the match.

Edit: I'm literally handing my team the victory on a silver platter and they arent biting. Its like last stand mode for the north.

I saw it and felt bad every time it happened to you. :(

I'm practicing 96 Deco/Splash Wall randomly right now. I'll turn on the stream in a short bit so we can chat as I fuck around. :lol

ryechu

I saw it and felt bad every time it happened to you. :(

I'm practicing 96 Deco/Splash Wall randomly right now. I'll turn on the stream in a short bit so we can chat as I fuck around. :lol

im liking my new set though. 2 ink saver mains. 2.333 dmg up. 1 ink recovery. and one sub for run and swim.

Doorman

Ayyyy finally made it out of C-level hell and proved that at the very least I'm not distressingly incompetent at the game. B- boyz now, not like it's much of an accomplishment but it was the goal I set for today. Somehow found a good amount of success using my half-troll Sploosh build while I was at it (at least, success once I had teammates who had at least a slight idea what they were doing). Hurrah progress, maybe I'll actually be able to show my face in some GAF rounds from time to time now.

Azure J

im liking my new set though. 2 ink saver mains. 2.333 dmg up. 1 ink recovery. and one sub for run and swim.

It's really good man. I'm also in love with this new "balanced" gear I worked out. Even makes the Neons halfway bearable. Dark Urban Jacket <3

Geg

Finally up to A+! Thanks a bunch to Emil, Kasumi, and Kas for the almost undefeated squad.

I played kind of badly during some of those but I know for a fact that all our beakons served as a good distraction for the enemy

edit: Tried to frame this the same as the old screenshot I took when I made A-

B_Bech

Hey SquidGaf, I was wondering if any of you guys encountered Japanese players using wall squid jumps to bypass the wall barriers. Had this happen against me in a rainmaker ranked match in the Mall. Along the side pathway on the upper level, a player got the jump on me, climbing up a wall that is normally impassible. Seems like a pretty powerful exploit considering it lets you essentially glitch right into the enemy base.

Also, who should I add to get into some GAF games? I added my name to the Google Doc, but there's so many names.

Geg

Hey SquidGaf, I was wondering if any of you guys encountered Japanese players using wall squid jumps to bypass the wall barriers. Had this happen against me in a rainmaker ranked match in the Mall. Along the side pathway on the upper level, a player got the jump on me, climbing up a wall that is normally impassible. Seems like a pretty powerful exploit considering it lets you essentially glitch right into the enemy base.

Also, who should I add to get into some GAF games? I added my name to the Google Doc, but there's so many names.

This is a recently discovered glitch, and it's not just the Japanese players doing it. But yeah it's a pretty big game changer that will hopefully get patched at some point. They obviously never intended that wall to be passable

TM25

Neo Member
Hello! Decided to join gaf due to the splat community. Hope you won't mind me adding you guys in the coming days. Only rank B if it matters.

Played with you guys before, I lucked into a random turf war lobby. I was trying out the Carbon Roller and you lot made that very difficult haha. Had some fun moments though. Infiltrating Moray Towers, splatting SM in the wall at Arowana Mall and chasing Azure half way across the map only for Boss to kill me from behind.

As a side note has there been any inklination that the brands have changed their percentage rolls? Might be coincidence, but since the update I have acquired a few triple rolls but none prior.

Weeeeeeell, you and I already added each other after one of the Splatfests, sooooooo... >_>

It's a small world. You still a Charger main?

Toadsili T

Neo Member
It's still selling well, so no worries about the community dying soon.

You're looking at a classic case of lurking. They add the people that openly share their NNID and they spread like a virus*, much like Guy Sloth and Master A1. They're generally interested in joining GAF anyways, so there's no harm.

*I don't mean this in a bad way, but that's the best way I can describe it right now. =P

Pretty much. :p Wanted to see if I could join in on all the fun whilst I waited; looks like the gamble paid off. Azure J never did add me though, which made things harder, although I understand his Friend List is already at 100 people. D:

Hello! Decided to join gaf due to the splat community. Hope you won't mind me adding you guys in the coming days. Only rank B if it matters.

As a side note has there been any inklination that the brands have changed their percentage rolls? Might be coincidence, but since the update I have acquired a few triple rolls but none prior.

Welcome from a fellow newcomer! I'm sure SplatGAF accepts all kinds of players; no need to worry if you're not S/S+ Rank. :p

As for the rolls, it's probably just placebo, although I've been getting some pretty nice rerolls myself lately.

EDIT: Ah, just remembered. Huge GGs to Doc and Sendou last night for the amazing Quad and Tri-Squad games. Going up against teams 3v4 and coming out on top felt really satisfying.

Cool, going to pick it up tomorrow then.

One thing I've been trying to understand is how the gyro controls work but I haven't been able to find a YouTube clip that shows it yet. Anyone have a clip up or know of one?

Nothing complicated about gyro controls. Just move the controller like this:

Changing the sensitivity will reduce the amount of motion needed to move the camera. It works for left and right movement also. Or did I misunderstand the question?

ryechu

they should add popups when you are in a regular battle or at least during the victory screen. Like "Blank is joining your game" or an indication that passwordless privates and squads are open.

B_Bech

Weeeeeeell, you and I already added each other after one of the Splatfests, sooooooo... >_>

It's a small world. You still a Charger main?
Yes, but my tastes are more well-rounded now. I caved and started using the Tentatek Splattershot. I tend to jump from weapon to weapon.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm only A+ I'm afraid. I'm glad I'm still accepted. I flirted with S rank, but my ineptitude in the Rainmaker mode saw an end to that. I'm starting to grasp it though. (The mode, not the rainmaker... that thing still seems to slip out of my hands)

Finally got to try the splatling gun and the bucket today but new weapons combined with new maps and modes (still haven't tried Rainmaker) has left me being an extremely weak link.

What're some opinions on those two new weapons?

Geg

Finally got to try the splatling gun and the bucket today but new weapons combined with new maps and modes (still haven't tried Rainmaker) has left me being an extremely weak link.

Don't wear run speed up with the heavy splatling it's totally useless it certainly does not turn the weapon into a huge overpowered pain in the ass or anything

Azure J

Ryechu, sorry for the long delay on starting the stream up, I took a shower then wound up running some errands (the last of which I'm still in the middle of). I'll probably start the stream up in about a half hour or so. At that time, wanna squad up? I feel like I can handle tower control on the maps we have now.

Heng

For the slosher, run enough damage up to kill with 1 bucket hit and 1 indirect burst bomb hit. You may want to run with additional damage up to deal with those pesky players who decide to run defense up. I think this set up makes slosher very dangerous and maybe a bit too strong. I definitely need more practice with it, I haven't played it enough yet though.

For splatling, I've seen some people run with a lot of run speed up. You don't have to play with those perks though, experiment around and see what works for you. Overall, I think majority of the players that play with this aren't too hard to deal with, but I've seen some people play it very well.

Ryechu, sorry for the long delay on starting the stream up, I took a shower then wound up running some errands (the last of which I'm still in the middle of). I'll probably start the stream up in about a half hour or so. At that time, wanna squad up? I feel like I can handle tower control on the maps we have now.
I'm down to play if you want to do quad rapid blaster or run a try hard tri squad.

Thanks for the input Heng and Geg!

So now that the August update is out how has Gaf been typically playing together now that there are more options out there?
We usually play about 4 hours of private match at night and there's plenty of quad squad and duo squad happening at all times of the day. You should look into discord if you haven't yet, there's always someone looking for more players for squads or private matches. You can find the invitation on the 2nd post of this thread.

So now that the August update is out how has Gaf been typically playing together now that there are more options out there?

Mostly Squad battles or joining each other via random Turf War. Private rooms are usually for those goofy games or for when we want to play a specific mode.

Robotguy

We mostly do Quad squads in ranked, since it's kinda hard to get a full 8 people together for a private lobby.
We usually arrange squads on the gaf discord server. There's a link to it on the first page.

Codeblue

Does the JP Splatoon community not go to bed? I've been playing on and off for the last 6 hours and I've seen maybe three people whose names I can read.

Top Bottom