• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I tried the basic Splat Charger and I I'm thinking of dropping Splatterscope. You can see everything while playing with Splat Charger, huge difference.

GAF's favourite chargers seem to be scopes, but I hate the things. I need full visibility for OP twitch shots.

I also hate them because they outrange me.

Luigi87

Alright, in spite of next month's releases (I have five games to get in September), I made the poor financial decision, yet good self-serving decision of finally picking this game up.

... Suppose I should start with single-player.

Nico_D

GAF's favourite chargers seem to be scopes, but I hate the things. I need full visibility for OP twitch shots.

Let's see how the basic charger works for me. Currently my problem is that I'm still waiting for it to zoom. But visibility is a huge plus - also the zooming effect is somewhat disorienting, since after zooming in I didn't know how close the enemy was anymore.

I don't know, I'm gonna play around with this and see if I return to scope.

Hero Charger is cooler looking though. Splat Charger looks like a stick.

Heng

Alright, in spite of next month's releases (I have five games to get in September), I made the poor financial decision, yet good self-serving decision of finally picking this game up.

... Suppose I should start with single-player.
I would also recommend you play with gyros. It'll be hard to learn at first but once you've mastered it, the game will be so much fun. You don't have to finish single player before touching multiplayer, jump in whenever you want.

Luigi87

I would also recommend you play with gyros. It'll be hard to learn at first but once you've mastered it, the game will be so much fun. You don't have to finish single player before touching multiplayer, jump in whenever you want.

I will try the gyro controls. I had read that at first a lot of people hated them, but then became accustomed to them and then vastly preferred that control style.

Geg

Tower Control > Rainmaker as far as I'm concerned, at least I know what I'm doing and can play fairly consistently well in Tower Control >_>

Why is that?

Too many corridors. While I'm trying to forge a path forward with the rainmaker, the enemy can come at me from any side and I have no way of knowing. With other maps I can at least use my familiarity with the terrain to guess where they enemy might come from next, or where they could be hiding. But in Port Mackerel you have to constantly be shooting left, right, and forward, and the Rainmaker just isn't fast enough. It's frustrating.

Even if you reach the other side of the map you have to climb a wall in order to reach the goal. Too bad said wall is within firing distance of the enemy's spawn point. :p

If you lose the lead on saltspray, it's just frustration afterwards.

It's frustrating, but that's why I always make sure to place plenty of beacons. With a combination of well-placed beacons and Stealth Jumps, it's never too hard to get the Rainmaker back from the enemy.

Tower Control on any map.

QFT

My most hated combination is Splat Zones on Port Macklemore.

Yeah, that's one of the worst.

phanphare

Banned
I'm still all about Splat Zones as far as ranked modes go

there's just nothing like controlling the zone and swimming around like a mad man to keep it

Jims

Rainmaker is my favorite too. It has kinda ruined Tower Control for me, since it's come out. It feels really developed with Splatoon's core mechanics in mind, where inking the ground to make paths is a key component for success. Clearing zones for better movement and stuff. Feels like a nice mix of Turf Wars and Tower Control.

Gsnap

Tower Control is just Rainmaker Garbage Version.

Rainmaker is my favorite too. It has kinda ruined Tower Control for me, since it's come out. It feels really developed with Splatoon's core mechanics in mind, where inking the ground to make paths is a key component for success. Clearing zones for better movement and stuff. Feels like a nice mix of Turf Wars and Tower Control.

Same here, I love clearing a path for the person carrying the rainmaker.

Yup. Better use of mechanics and better for team play.

Nico_D

Too many corridors. While I'm trying to forge a path forward with the rainmaker, the enemy can come at me from any side and I have no way of knowing.

But you don't have to know, that's what your team is supposed to be doing. If they're not, then it surely will suck whatever the map is.

DaBoss

Just saw this on Reddit:
After you win/lose a game, when it asks you if you want to stay or leave, if you select nope too fast the game might think you disconnected and you can lose 1.5 flags(win streak) or lose rank points.

Like, if you select Nope while the counter is still at 20 this glitch happens.

Wait just a bit before you leave a lobby.

Hero Charger is cooler looking though. Splat Charger looks like a stick.

What I find interesting is that so few people seem to use the standard Splat Charger. Everyone seems to use either the scoped version or one of the Kelp versions, and it seems like nearly everyone that uses the standard has access to the Hero Charger. I feel like I've seen less than 20 standard Splat Chargers in the whole time I've played multiplayer.

Robotguy

Just saw this on Reddit:
After you win/lose a game, when it asks you if you want to stay or leave, if you select nope too fast the game might think you disconnected and you can lose 1.5 flags(win streak) or lose rank points.

WTF?
What I find interesting is that so few people seem to use the standard Splat Charger. Everyone seems to use either the scoped version or one of the Kelp versions, and it seems like nearly everyone that uses the standard has access to the Hero Charger. I feel like I've seen less than 20 standard Splat Chargers in the whole time I've played multiplayer.
I use the standard.

Vecks

Just saw this on Reddit:

My reflexes are too slow for this to happen, but good to know.

backlot

Just saw this on Reddit:

I bet that's why my win streak is always so low. Yeah, totally this.

Ogodei

Hi all, new to the forums (though not my first post)

Tower Control is the one i don't get. Splat zones and rainmaker are much easier for me to wrap my head around, but Tower Control i clearly need to experiment with more. When the mode was new, i was using Luna Blaster and playing TC like a meat grinder, kill and get killed with usually a 1.0 K/D or thereabouts. Then for a while i thought i was more sophisticated, and now i'm right back to blasting fools off of the tower and then hiding there with an ink mine laid, waiting for my turn to be splatted.

The recent revelation that more people on the tower distinctly speeds it up helps a bit with forming strategy, though it's still slow going.

Meanwhile, i've turned my .52 gal game in rainmaker into a science. Killer Wail is dead useful in both directions, and it's quite satisfying to aim it through walls, being able to see where the player with the rainmaker is.

Now if i could only clinch A- rank back, i could drop this game at last. Cursed pride.

WALKMAN04

What's everyone's take on the whole grind to S+99? I know majority of the people quit playing ranked as soon as they got to S, but I think that it's too punishing. There were streamers and regular players before the patch who played Rank battles even though they got to A+99 but since the patch, many of them either quit playing rank and stuck to squad battles or just don't stream as often.

I like the idea of having a rank hard to get even though it doesn't mean much since it's with randoms but I think it turns a lot of people off from playing that mode completely. They could implement a decay system but I think it would feel forced rather than it would help the situation. Maybe lower the points you lose or increase the amount of points you've gained? I cannot see Nintendo fixing this problem or even attempt to fix it. I think sooner or later rank mode may become empty or just full of players just trying to hit S or S+ then quit the mode.
I think we all know I tried for S+ 99 and deranked to S and eventually got back up, mostly due to disconnect where I was stupid and continued playing, but that doesn't really matter. I did try solo ranked again after I got back to S+, and I don't like the system at all, there is way to much risk in points for something that is team related. I used to like defending my A+ 99 rank and so did others but now if anyone reaches the rank they are satisfied with they just stop playing rank, I honestly don't blame anyone who stops playing ranked solo just to do squads, it is really annoying winning the majority of your matches and having a net loss of points. Before the new ranks, being +7 on the vibe meter meant you were up about 70 points now you're lucky if you are up at all with all the +1 games you can get. Two losses can delete 6 wins and most of the time it's not even your fault, I think we have all had games where our teammates are just unreliable, I've had matches where I went 15-0 or 18-4 and the game was never even close because no matter how many I kill it doesn't matter if 1 of them wiped my entire team and the enemy respawned quick enough for us to not take any advantage. Also the game needs to stop penalizing you if a teammate disconnected while going 0-1 or 0-0 , obviously we were at a disadvantage from the start, and I'm not going to lie I have had really close games that were 3 v 4 and if we had an extra person most likely would have won, shout out to SND Famous for disconnecting on my team 3 times within 30 minutes going 0-0 and costing me 18 points while I was at S 80-90 for a long time. All I'm going to say about that is don't let me catch you slipping in pubs. So in the end after 8 wins and 4 losses I sat right back at S+30 and after a disconnect in squads I'm now at 28, I don't know if I will go for 99 any time soon, but if I don't to 99 I'm positive I will never play solo ranked again, because defending it just won't be as fun as it was when A+ was the highest rank.

Oh yeah and there are all those people who were carried to S rank messing up the ranking system, just making reaching 99 even more reliant on luck.

I also hate them because they outrange me.
I started using scopes for the range, once I got used to it, there isn't really any disadvantage to using it, the field of vision from scoping isn't a big deal because you shouldn't be scoping for long and there is a time when you are charging where you aren't scoped so you should be able to see everything. Only time I scope to the fullest is to hit the other charger from a safe distance.

Leatherface

GAF peeps, if I create a 4 person squad with a password can I just post it here so anyone can hop in or do I need to go through and add everyone to my friends list first? #lazy

My girl and I play a lot as a two person squad. We are both B+ about to break into A-. Would be awesome to play with some of you guys instead of muscling through randoms. Was thinking of creating a squad tonight and posting here. Maybe 8PM EST? Will need two if anyone would like to join. not sure how the chat client works everyone uses but i'll try to get that going as well so we can communicate.

Vecks

GAF peeps, if I create a 4 person squad with a password can I just post it here so anyone can hop in or do I need to go through and add everyone to my friends list first? #lazy

My girl and I play a lot as a two person squad. We are both B+ about to break into A-. Would be awesome to play with some of you guys instead of muscling through randoms. Was thinking of creating a squad tonight and posting here. Maybe 8PM EST? Will need two if anyone would like to join. not sure how the chat client works everyone uses but i'll try to get that going as well so we can communicate.

The password is just to restrict people on the friends list from jumping into your game unannounced. If you want to do squads, hop on the discord chat and just add the people you need.

Ogodei

You need to have at least one friend join the squad, and then friends of theirs can join.

I started using scopes for the range, once I got used to it, there isn't really any disadvantage to using it, the field of vision from scoping isn't a big deal because you shouldn't be scoping for long and there is a time when you are charging where you aren't scoped so you should be able to see everything. Only time I scope to the fullest is to hit the other charger from a safe distance.

Nah, I tried them a while back, in the previous thread, I think, and I was definitely at a disadvantage. I tried to stick with them long enough to get a feel for them, but they just don't work for my playstyle. I need full visibility and maximum "visual stability" for the way I do twitch shots, or I miss a lot more frequently.

I even need to sit in a specific position or I can't aim for shit. I am a HIGHLY TUNED
incredibly fragile
sniping machine! :p

I'll just continue to be annoyed that they outrange me.

Leatherface

The password is just to restrict people on the friends list from jumping into your game unannounced. If you want to do squads, hop on the discord chat and just add the people you need.

You need to have at least one friend join the squad, and then friends of theirs can join.

Thanks guys. So far I haven't added anyone from GAF. Would be great to play with some of you guys though. Will check out discord chat tonight.

Azure J

I think we all know I tried for S+ and deranked to S and eventually got back up, mostly due to disconnect where I was stupid and continued playing, but that doesn't really matter. I did try solo ranked again after I got back to S+, and I don't like the system at all, there is way to much risk in points for something that is team related. I used to like defending my A+ 99 rank and so did others but now if anyone reaches the rank they are satisfied with they just stop playing rank, I honestly don't blame anyone who stops playing ranked solo just to do squads, it is really annoying winning the majority of your matches and having a net loss of points. Before the new ranks, being +7 on the vibe meter meant you were up about 70 points now you're lucky if you are up at all with all the +1 games you can get. Two losses can delete 6 wins and most of the time it's not even your fault, I think we have all had games where our teammates are just unreliable, I've had matches where I went 15-0 or 18-4 and the game was never even close because no matter how many I kill it doesn't matter if 1 of them wiped my entire team and the enemy respawned quick enough for us to not take any advantage. Also the game needs to stop penalizing you if a teammate disconnected while going 0-1 or 0-0 , obviously we were at a disadvantage from the start, and I'm not going to lie I have had really close games that were 3 v 4 and if we had an extra person most likely would have won, shout out to SND Famous for disconnecting on my team 3 times within 30 minutes going 0-0 and costing me 18 points while I was at S 80-90 for a long time. All I'm going to say about that is don't let me catch you slipping in pubs. So in the end after 8 wins and 4 losses I sat right back at S+30 mad after a disconnect in squads I'm now at 28, I don't know if I will go for 99 any time soon, but if I don't to 99 I'm positive I will never play solo ranked again, because defending it just won't be as fun as it was when A+ was the highest rank.

Oh yeah and there are all those people who were carried to S rank messing up the ranking system, just making reaching 99 even more reliant on luck.

YO THE CALLOUT LMAO

Honestly, I don't know how to feel about random ranked anymore, though I'm probably not someone anyone should use as an authority on the matter based on my previous deranking marathon. It felt as though randoms in the highest ranks during the time I was going up the ranks to A+ were more consistently challenging and competitive with one another than a lot of those you'd find in S ranks. The few times I played randoms while S, it felt as though there were a lot of people who either had one game plan and stuck to it without any team cooperation or they just did a lot of things that seemed like they didn't know how to play the game.

The point system itself is also brutal when combined with things that are still out of our control like team ranges and layouts on top of the aforementioned playerbase where you're playing the lotto hoping for good teammates.

WALKMAN04

Nah, I tried them a while back, in the previous thread, I think, and I was definitely at a disadvantage. I tried to stick with them long enough to get a feel for them, but they just don't work for my playstyle. I need full visibility and maximum "visual stability" for the way I do twitch shots, or I miss a lot more frequently.

I even need to sit in a specific position or I can't aim for shit. I am a HIGHLY TUNED
incredibly fragile
sniping machine! :p

I'll just continue to be annoyed that they outrange me.
As long as you gave them a chance, if you feel better using no scopes then do it, I don't really mind either but just use scopes because of range and I don't feel any disadvantage using them.
I can't take all this Tower Control hate. I used to dislike TC too. But after learning how to acutally play it, its my favorite mode.
Yeah I really don't understand how anyone can dislike tower control, it's the best mode in my eyes, less stupid teammates taking the objective to who knows where like in rainmaker and the battle take place through the whole map unlike splatzones. It's really the total package in my eyes.

Gsnap

I can't take all this Tower Control hate. I used to dislike TC too. But after learning how to acutally play it, its my favorite mode.

But rainmaker takes everything about it and makes it better, so how could I possibly even care about TC anymore?

And you can't blame the mode for people being stupid. Playing with good teams or squads rainmaker is clearly more interesting.

Malus

TC is unique in that for some maps the tower is in the air taking a path you couldn't normally take. And I think the fact that's in on a set path is fun in it's own way.

Azure J

But rainmaker takes everything about it and makes it better, so how could I possibly even care about TC anymore?

FWIW, I used to feel like Tower Control was a hot mess and it kept me from playing a lot of ranked due to Splat Zones/Tower Control rotations. As soon as squads happened and I was able to play the mode with GAF members who knew what was up, I gained a strong appreciation for the mode, even if my preference is elsewhere.

I also realize in a post Rainmaker world that having the objective on a set path is a godsend sometimes. Seeing people actively take horrible paths through enemy infested areas or put the enemy at the advantage instead of taking the L and resetting things to neutral are some of those things that make me thank God this game doesn't have voice chat to immortalize my frustration with some people. :lol

ryechu

The disadvantage is that nonscoped chargers are way better at peeking corners and jump shots. But the extra range makes up for this, imo, by pressuring the splat charger while sniping their allies from a safe range you either force regular chargers from their wall, or lock them in for your allies to flank them. Regular chargers are much weaker when charging in open areas due to the lesser range, lower mobility (sitting on full charge for longer) and slower time aim on surpise targets. Certain maps though, favor the nonscoped over the scoped due to the inabilility for the scoped to exploit the range (due to the terrain) to pressure nonscoped favored camping spots. Also I think that the regular e liter once mastered has this advantage over the 3k scope, on a greater number of maps than the splat charger has over the splatterscope. For example, I think the regular E liter is flat out better than the 3k scope on Camp triggerfish and port mackerel splat zones and blackbelly.

ryechu

And you can't blame the mode for people being stupid. Playing with good teams or squads rainmaker is clearly more interesting.

Rainmaker isn't very similar. TC is about taking the geometry fo your opponents base. and through the added element of the tower, making it your defensive stronghold to continue the push.

Ogodei

Does anyone feel like the points system got more unforgiving after the update? I preferred it when it was rare to get the game to move you off of +10/-10. Those -12 losses are just salt in the wound every single time, and make me more likely to abandon a room with a lot of players ranked lower than me.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
YO THE CALLOUT LMAO

Honestly, I don't know how to feel about random ranked anymore, though I'm probably not someone anyone should use as an authority on the matter based on my previous deranking marathon. It felt as though randoms in the highest ranks during the time I was going up the ranks to A+ were more consistently challenging and competitive with one another than a lot of those you'd find in S ranks. The few times I played randoms while S, it felt as though there were a lot of people who either had one game plan and stuck to it without any team cooperation or they just did a lot of things that seemed like they didn't know how to play the game.

The point system itself is also brutal when combined with things that are still out of our control like team ranges and layouts on top of the aforementioned playerbase where you're playing the lotto hoping for good teammates.

The point system is horribly broken in S rank and up. Maybe that's why you see S Rankers try to do things themselves most of the time instead of cooperating with teammates. They feel pressured and can't trust teammates to do well, so they try to do everything themselves. Where as in A+, they most likely have a different mentality and are just plain trying their best to get to S. They haven't felt the harsh world of S yet so they can actually trust teammates (assuming they are in solo and not squad) lol xD honestly, looking at your archives azure, you play way better when you're having fun, so don't let that whole deranking marathon ruin your mentality, you can make it back to S lol. I have to mention one thing tho: you have to move around more and go at things at a faster pace in ranked. sometimes you stay stationary for too long, without even inking anything xD haha

Geg

Does anyone feel like the points system got more unforgiving after the update? I preferred it when it was rare to get the game to move you off of +10/-10. Those -12 losses are just salt in the wound every single time, and make me more likely to abandon a room with a lot of players ranked lower than me.

It's definitely started decreasing the amount of points you gain the closer you are to leveling up, which I don't think it did before. Unless it did that at the higher ranks and I just never made it there.

Yesterday during my climb to A+ I would consistently get 10 points per win as long as the other team had an S rank player, but once I passed A 80 it only gave me 8 per win.

Top Bottom