• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Mellopillow

Neo Member
It's definitely started decreasing the amount of points you gain the closer you are to leveling up, which I don't think it did before. Unless it did that at the higher ranks and I just never made it there.

Yesterday during my climb to A+ I would consistently get 10 points per win as long as the other team had an S rank player, but once I passed A 80 it only gave me 8 per win.

I think it would be 6 points per win now, since you're in A+ geg ); judging from when I helped my gf get to S haha. Twin squads are a pain when you don't have great team composition

WALKMAN04

The disadvantage is that nonscoped chargers are way better at peeking corners and jump shots. But the extra range makes up for this, imo, by pressuring the splat charger while sniping their allies from a safe range you either force regular chargers from their wall, or lock them in for your allies to flank them. Regular chargers are much weaker when charging in open areas due to the lesser range, lower mobility (sitting on full charge for longer) and slower time aim on surpise targets. Certain maps though, favor the nonscoped over the scoped due to the inabilility for the scoped to exploit the range (due to the terrain) to pressure nonscoped favored camping spots. Also I think that the regular e liter once mastered has this advantage over the 3k scope, on a greater number of maps than the splat charger has over the splatterscope. For example, I think the regular E liter is flat out better than the 3k scope on Camp triggerfish and port mackerel splat zones and blackbelly.
I actually agree with you on pretty much everything, jump shots behind cover are definitely easier without a scope, I had a little trouble at first but I think I've got it down with scopes. Haven't really tried splatzones on triggerfish myself, but I know the layout and I guess scopes aren't really necessary in any spot on that map, in zones while other modes are a completely different story. Yeah e-liter scoped range is practically useless in zones black belly, but I think in port mackerel scopes are not at a disadvantage at all , they just play out the same as no scoped to me.
But rainmaker takes everything about it and makes it better, so how could I possibly even care about TC anymore?

And you can't blame the mode for people being stupid. Playing with good teams or squads rainmaker is clearly more interesting.
Maybe stupid isn't the word, but I have lost more than a few games just because the one person with the rainmaker was not on the same page as everyone else, not really his fault since it's hard to know what everyone is thinking. Also now that I think about it rainmaker doesn't even play remotely close to tower control so I don't know why anybody should compare them, in rainmaker turf is way more important than in tower control and battles can end in one team wipe, unlike tower control which has a better system for ensuring that the better team wins. I still think rainmaker should have been a regular mode and not a ranked mode, but find It perfectly understandable why other people don't think so.

Geg

Yeah I remember back when tower control first debuted one of the big complaints was that it was more random and less strategic than splat zones due to it being just a big meat grinder of players jumping on the tower and dying, but I feel rainmaker can often be just as if not more random and less strategic. Like Walkman said, all it takes is one team wipe to potentially end a game, or at least put it in a state where one team has to work extremely hard to come back.

But like I said I'm still pretty bad at rainmaker compared to the other modes so I don't know if I can speak on much authority about it

ChrisD

I can't take all this Tower Control hate. I used to dislike TC too. But after learning how to acutally play it, its my favorite mode.

Please teach me your ways. I thought I liked TC, but it was just the new factor I liked. It really feels like the poor man's Rainmaker to me now, but I don't like that. I want to enjoy all the modes. D:

Gsnap

Maybe stupid isn't the word, but I have lost more than a few games just because the one person with the rainmaker was not on the same page as everyone else, not really his fault since it's hard to know what everyone is thinking. Also now that I think about it rainmaker doesn't even play remotely close to tower control so I don't know why anybody should compare them, in rainmaker turf is way more important than in tower control and battles can end in one team wipe, unlike tower control which has a better system for ensuring that the better team wins. I still think rainmaker should have been a regular mode and not a ranked mode, but find It perfectly understandable why other people don't think so.

They're comparable because they have the same goal. Get the object to a specific point within the enemy's base. But yes, other than that they are very different. And it is those differences that makes me say rainmaker is the better version of the "Get object to goal" game type because I prefer the freeform nature of controlling the rainmaker over the set path of the tower, and I prefer the style of play that the game encourages vs TC. I've seen more genuine cooperation in rainmaker than in tower control. With people creating paths for the carrier, or backing them up in fights. Things like that. Obviously the same thing is possible in Tower Control (it's possible in every game type), but I think rainmaker lends itself to these things more than other modes, and I think as time progresses rainmaker will evolve to become a really interesting game mode, whereas I find tower control more likely to stagnate over time due to its inherently more limited nature, and the styles of play that it naturally encourages.

And a team wipe is a team wipe. It'll give the other team a significant advantage regardless of the mode.

UGH. Tower is my jam but I got stuck with such fucktards and I even ran into random Kas who ended up on the winning team giving me the boot to A+... Yeah.

Why can't this work on every map with water?
ZBjTW7I.png

I don't quite get why people would strive for a certain rank and then quit that mode... Sure, S and up is broken is a broken system, but why not reach that goal( if you can, which I'm sure some of you gaffers can), and then be happy about getting there, but accept it's not something you should defend because of the broken system. But if you feel like stopping, then why even play rank to begin with?

Violet_0

Banned
Greetings SplatGAF!

My account was just activated, so what follows will be a bit of a long overdue make-up intro post.

Firstly, I must apologise for sneaking my way into SplatGAF prematurely prior to joining; it was mere luck that a few people decided to add my NNID after lurking the SplatGAF OTs. Despite lacking any real direct means of communicating with any of you, making it somewhat difficult join in on all the fun, on the off-chances when there has been GAF room going at the right time, it has always been a blast!

From memory, long overdue GGs are in order for Violet O and Sendou for their excellent charger play, Azure J for keeping his cool whilst using his Inkbrush, Nico_D for the various Squad Matches, and anyone else who I’ve played with over the past few months for being awesome players.

Already on board with the Discord Rooms, and will get to adding my NNID to the spreadsheet soon. Looking forward to playing with you all more often! :)

hey Toadsili, I'm glad to see your account got approved. I'm sort of taking a break from the game atm but I'm looking forward to playing with ya and the rest of SplatGAF again sometimes soon

B_Bech

This is clearly why they redesigned rig to its current set up.

On that note, has anyone else really wanted to play on the original design for Salt Spray? I'm sure that the current design most likely fixed some choke points or something, but I still would have wanted to give it a go, just to see the progression. I was lucky enough to have the chance to play the BETA version of Urchin at APEX 2015 (only thing that saved that day) and well, getting to see the progression of each version was pretty cool. The latest iteration is by far the best.

I was a bit curious about the original Camp Triggerfish as well, seeing as how that stage seems super different from the early footage.

DaBoss

The old Saltspray Rig had the spawn platform lower than the middle platform which is a pretty big flaw. Every map in the game currently has the spawn on an elevated surface (difference may be small in terms of elevation depending on the map, but still higher than most of the immediate area). I'm more interested in the old Walleye Warehouse which had lots of moving platforms and the crates were mostly climbable.

RedFyn

So, as many of you know, a few days ago I was having a lot of connection issues. It got so bad that within 15 sec of every game I would get an unstable connection error and was booted out of the lobby. On Friday I tried to play again and after a few unstable errors I could play (with very bad lag) regular matches but i still couldn't play ranked matches. Today I got on and my connection was great. I was able to play both modes without any problems. I'm just hoping it stays that way.

I don't quite get why people would strive for a certain rank and then quit that mode... Sure, S and up is broken is a broken system, but why not reach that goal( if you can, which I'm sure some of you gaffers can), and then be happy about getting there, but accept it's not something you should defend because of the broken system. But if you feel like stopping, then why even play rank to begin with?

That's actually been my attitude. I made S the other day and I'm happy to have made it but if I quit ranked I feel like I'd miss out on a lot in the game. As frustrating as some teammates can be the ranked modes are fun and well done. I will almost certainly get demoted at some point, but that's OK.

ChrisD

I play Ranked because it's fun. Also for the money, which is really the only reason I don't want to drop in rank. If people want to quit after reaching a point, or stick to squads and keep a permanent S-Rank idc, that's what they see as fun. The only "problem" is that when they hop back into the pool they're mad rusty compared to the competition.

What I find interesting is that so few people seem to use the standard Splat Charger. Everyone seems to use either the scoped version or one of the Kelp versions, and it seems like nearly everyone that uses the standard has access to the Hero Charger. I feel like I've seen less than 20 standard Splat Chargers in the whole time I've played multiplayer.
I use the Kelp Charger so that I emphasize my role as a sniper; I snipe enemies with my Charger and provide infinite ranged support fire with Killer Wail. This lets me deal with E-Liters or entrenched enemies, but I admit that the Splat Charger/Splatterscope is more well rounded.

Concerning ranked modes, I like Rainmaker and Tower Control the most, because both generally make use of the entire map, though RM moreso than TC.

Capturing territory so that one isn't surrounded by enemy ink is important in all modes though, so it's rather frustrating when allies rush straight for the objective and don't put attention towards anything else.

Doorman

GGs Vecks, sorry for butting into your turf war with my random roller shenanigans. :p

Rollers in general still seem to be a weird thing for me to wrap my head around as far as effectiveness goes. I'd say I'm not used to fighting with a lack of range...except I've been using the Sploosh-O a lot and that has zero range options either. Hmph.

WALKMAN04

They're comparable because they have the same goal. Get the object to a specific point within the enemy's base. But yes, other than that they are very different. And it is those differences that makes me say rainmaker is the better version of the "Get object to goal" game type because I prefer the freeform nature of controlling the rainmaker over the set path of the tower, and I prefer the style of play that the game encourages vs TC. I've seen more genuine cooperation in rainmaker than in tower control. With people creating paths for the carrier, or backing them up in fights. Things like that. Obviously the same thing is possible in Tower Control (it's possible in every game type), but I think rainmaker lends itself to these things more than other modes, and I think as time progresses rainmaker will evolve to become a really interesting game mode, whereas I find tower control more likely to stagnate over time due to its inherently more limited nature, and the styles of play that it naturally encourages.

And a team wipe is a team wipe. It'll give the other team a significant advantage regardless of the mode.
Well we shall agree to disagree on what is the best mode, but my point about team wipes was that in rainmaker on some maps like blackbelly or even walleye the match can be over by the time you respawn, this isn't the case in the other modes.
I play Ranked because it's fun. Also for the money, which is really the only reason I don't want to drop in rank. If people want to quit after reaching a point, or stick to squads and keep a permanent S-Rank idc, that's what they see as fun. The only "problem" is that when they hop back into the pool they're mad rusty compared to the competition.
It's not really rust it's more that people are getting carried to higher ranks by squads, even in twitch streams it's all people begging to play with streamers and half of them are B ranks that the streamers help up the ranks. It's the system we have, so we can't really do anything about it but express our dislike of it.

Crayolan

Having a letter rank attached to ranked battles makes it stressful for me. I know what people will say, "just ignore it", but I can't. In private rooms ranked battles aren't half as stressful and I know it's because of the letter grade. By getting up to S then playing mostly/only squads I can have fun in ranked without the stress.

The only benefit to the letter grade IMO is that it can make close matches feel much more intense, and when things are close I probably try a lot harder cause I want to win that much more.

I don't think playing in squads is slacking though, it's not like S rank squads are easy. And I still did work my way up to A+ without squads.

Vecks

GGs Vecks, sorry for butting into your turf war with my random roller shenanigans. :p

Rollers in general still seem to be a weird thing for me to wrap my head around as far as effectiveness goes. I'd say I'm not used to fighting with a lack of range...except I've been using the Sploosh-O a lot and that has zero range options either. Hmph.

GGs. I'm not that great with roller either, but it's certainly fun to play.

Having a letter rank attached to ranked battles makes it stressful for me. I know what people will say, "just ignore it", but I can't. In private rooms ranked battles aren't half as stressful and I know it's because of the letter grade. By getting up to S then playing mostly/only squads I can have fun in ranked without the stress.

The only benefit to the letter grade IMO is that it can make close matches feel much more intense, and when things are close I probably try a lot harder cause I want to win that much more.

I don't think playing in squads is slacking though, it's not like S rank squads are easy. And I still did work my way up to A+ without squads.

I used to be stressed out about it when I was trying to reach S. But now that I've reached S, I kind of want to go back to B.

Geg

Yeah at first I was kind of worried about the idea of being "carried" to A+ or S but the fact that the opponents I'm facing are also high ranked and work well as a team makes it feel more fair. A lot of the games I won in squads yesterday were so close and against such skillful, well-coordinated teams that I know we couldn't have won unless all four of us were doing important work for the team.

Even if Emil did do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of just raw kill count lol

RedFyn

Can someone explain to me how stalling tactics in rainmaker make it uncompetitive? Other than rig being broken I don't understand.

Doorman

Can someone explain to me how stalling tactics in rainmaker make it uncompetitive? Other than rig being broken I don't understand.

I wouldn't say it's uncompetitive, but folks will complain about it in the same way that stream monsters complain about fighting game characters that play extremely "lame" and defensive. The natural desire is to always try and drive the Rainmaker forward and go for the knockout win, but I agree that if you don't have a lot of time left, stalling can be a more advantageous play.

There's also a bit of risk associated with it, since typically trying to hang back and stall with the Rainmaker means keeping it closer to your side of the map. One unfortunate team wipe while trying to stall could turn the match in the other direction that fast. Saltspray is kind of the exception to this, since taking the RM away from the enemy also means taking it further from your base as well. I imagine that Flounder Heights' width will make it a reasonably popular campground as well, since you can carry it so far laterally to keep enemies at bay.

ChrisD

Crayolan said:

I don't think it's slacking. You're still playing with others of the same rank. It's just less stressful. It also means you can't get a higher rank, and I know that's a driving point for many. So like I said, if it's what one finds fun more power to ya'. I'd like to do the same, but don't like having to arrange times/wait on others to play. :p

Some people just don't like when others play defensively.

B_Bech

My philosophy is if you can't beat it, you'll complain about it. Most competitive games do ban stalling/ circle camping, though. So maybe they are onto something. Once Splatoon is tournament legal, I'm sure they will ban stalling.

ChrisD

Why do people gotta' be like this man. Saltspray Rig, I move to the top to place Beacons with Roller. Apparently our Octobrush thought I was just Turf War'ing it up, and decided to just paint in a big circle around the large crates. The whole game. Until we got KO'd.

DaBoss

Stalling with the Rainmaker is smart play. Why would you not do that if you have the lead?

The devs made it so there is no indicator when you're hiding in your own ink. I doubt they didn't know that people could just stall it out with it and have intentionally made it so you can't go back a certain amount of distance.

Gsnap

Well we shall agree to disagree on what is the best mode, but my point about team wipes was that in rainmaker on some maps like blackbelly or even walleye the match can be over by the time you respawn, this isn't the case in the other modes.

Now that I agree with. Certain maps are rough in rainmaker due to the short distances or other factors. But at the same time, I think every mode has a few maps that just don't lend themselves well to it.

Heng

I really don't blame them. Have you played with a lot of randoms? Majority of them ignore the objective and don't even help me cover the ground. Some of them focus on the objective too much; I've had matches in walleye where people kept suicide into the middle when the enemy covered all of our turf and all the entry points into the middle. I think turf wars should have taught some players how important it is to have your turf covered for mobility but it seems like they've learned nothing from that mode. Also winning 3 games and losing 1 will bring you to even, I would say that's too punishing, considering how bad some players are.

I think every mode has a lesson to be learned from playing it. Turf wars should teach you how important covering turf is, extending your territory, and what weapons can fill the role of support (by helping with inking the turf) and which ones are great for pressuring the enemy. Splat zones should teach you where are the important places to defend (not even the splat zones themselves but areas that over look the splat zones and where you can see incoming enemies) and how important it is to utilize your time when you wipe the entire enemy team. Tower control should teach you how to defend a moving target, how to work together as a team (randoms are not a good example of this from my experience, it usually results in me pushing the tower alone and jumping off to defend it and to then climb back on the tower alone), and apply what you've learned from splat zones.

All these lessons that are learned from all these modes are then applied to Rainmaker, except now the carrier has to learn where to push a certain time. The problem with playing with random ranked players is that majority of the players did not learn anything from the other mode and either do not defend or just play for their kdr. I think Rainmaker is the most fun mide, but ONLY with a squad. Random ranked mode is there to teach you how to carry a team to victory.

This is why the rank next to your name holds little to no value. To me, it's only to show how good you are with a bad team or how lucky you are at getting good teams. Why put yourself through all the frustration when you've already reached your desired rank? A+99 back then was easier to defend your rank because you need to just win 1 out of your 2 games you've played to be back at 99. Now it takes 3 wins out of 4, assuming everyone in there is at least rank S. It just doesn't seem worth it now that all the high (and most of the time smarter and more competent) rank players are playing squad. We even get to choose our teammates.

Gsnap

It's a real problem on Saltspray simply because of the layout. People hate stalling in every game for a variety of reasons, but you gotta play to win. The game still has systems in place to discourage stalling like only being able to hold the rainmaker for 60 seconds until it pops. And I'm pretty sure that timer goes down faster if you go into a part of the map that the game considers "out of bounds".

But still, it's important to maintain the upper hand. I've seen stall matches in every mode.

And I'm back to A+. That didn't last long! I was up to S 36 but then I couldn't buy a win. I tried different teams each time but it just wasn't happening. I actually started off playing well but then I think I was letting the pressure get to me and I played very poorly in my last few games as my rank went down. I kept trying different loadouts but just couldn't find my niche on a team or would be outclassed by my opponents. It was fun while it lasted!

Jims

It's a real problem on Saltspray simply because of the layout. People hate stalling in every game for a variety of reasons, but you gotta play to win. The game still has systems in place to discourage stalling like only being able to hold the rainmaker for 60 seconds until it pops. And I'm pretty sure that timer goes down faster if you go into a part of the map that the game considers "out of bounds".

But still, it's important to maintain the upper hand. I've seen stall matches in every mode.

Yeah, I don't really get what the logical difference would be between sitting on a lead in Rainmaker and sitting on a lead in Tower Control would be. There are a lot of Tower Control games where you get it to 20 with a minute left and know you can very likely just win it by playing safe and going to time. Taking the Rainmaker to a difficult, log-jammy kind of place just feels like the logical extension of the same thinking.

(Ignoring the upper part of Saltspray, of course, which is definitely more a map design issue.)

My main beef with Tower Control is that it feels a little flowcharty sometimes. Maybe this is more a Ranked problem, with their two map rotation. But it's just like, if I'm standing on the tower on Camp Triggerfish, I generally know what the checklist is going to be going down the path.

Go behind the billboard.
Watch for people on the corner grate.
Make sure no one's flanking on your side of the base.
Watch people on their ramp on the right (and snipers standing up high).
Watch for people on the net overhead.
Watch for snipers and people on the grate by the gates.

It's obviously more complex than that, but Tower Control just has a lot of pattern-recognition to it. Uh oh, Suction Bomb, better hop off momentarily. Krakens/Bubblers up there, gotta push 'em off. Oops, an Ink Mine.

I can see why it is a popular mode in a competitive space because those are all obviously difficult skills that need to be learned, and a great deal of awareness is needed. But I think I prefer the more chaotic and situationally-diverse nature of something like Rainmaker or Turf Wars. Those modes can fall into patterns too (remember all those locked up matches on the Old Urchin?), but they just feel a little freer to develop into a situation I haven't seen very much. It might just be a psychological thing, I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRC0VxEDFb8

Oww. Dual sticks early charger gameplay gives me a headache. But I remember watching this video on like day 3 and I was amazed.

I heard that there was an S+90-99 Eliter 3k scope user that uses dual sticks. I dont even know how thats possible but i want to see his gameplay.

I see this video and imagine that some sort reptile is playing. That motion reminds me of the way some of those animals move their head.

I just d a Japanese roller casually roll through my wail to splat me. I'm getting tired of lag in this game.

Yeah, that's easily the most frustrating part of this game. In my losing streak earlier I played against two consecutive teams that had a Japanese E-liter user that would splat me when their line-of-sight beam was pointing 30-45 degrees away from my position. The thing is that there's really nothing you can do about it.

It would be one thing if, say, I was going down a narrow passage with an E-liter at the far end. That would be difficult but with the right moves and using cover (i.e. with enough skill) you can close in, flank, etc. But with lag you're at their mercy.

As far as sitting on a lead, I'm all for it. More teams need to do this instead of pushing for a knockout victory, I think, especially on dual Splat Zones maps (and especially Port Mackerel). If you have a good lead with little time left, don't spread the team thin by advancing.

Not sure what sort of testing they did over at Squidboards, but apparently Turf Wars is not a competitive mode that will probably be banned from future tourneys there. Or at least, that's the general sentiment I get when reading the IoS tourney thread. I guess it would make more sense for me to ask them for more details instead of ranting here, but it seems distressing that they'd start banning modes already.

I see this video and imagine that some sort reptile is playing. That motion reminds me of the way some of those animals move their head.

Fun fact: Not sure about other reptiles, but birds do that because their eyes don't move in their sockets, so bobbing or other jerky motions allow them to keep things in focus as long as possible with only brief periods of interruption.

Top Bottom