• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

RedFyn

The reason I asked is James said it was looking like it wasn't going to be included in tournaments due to the "uncompetitive nature of stalling." The way I see it is the team stalling is taking a risk by moving it into their territory and if you can't kill them then you don't deserve to win. Its not hard to break a team that's stalling if you coordinate and use your specials all at once. You can stall on tc, does that make it uncompetitive? No. It just means the other team wasn't good enough to break the containment and played poor enough to get in the sticky situation in the first place. That goes for rainmaker as well. Its not like the team stalling started out with an advantage. They obtained their advantageous position by playing better than the other team. You also can't use other games as a baseline because the other games don't have the same tools at your disposal (no wails to kill daboss camping with the rainmaker).

Some maps aren't made for rainmaker yes, but that doesn't mean you ban the mode. You just ban those maps and hope that the devs fix them just like they did with the bad maps on the other ranked modes.

Oh and I understand the turf war ban but I'm not sure I agree with it (from a personal like of turf war even though I recognize its flaws.)

ryechu

Not sure what sort of testing they did over at Squidboards, but apparently Turf Wars is not a competitive mode that will probably be banned from future tourneys there. Or at least, that's the general sentiment I get when reading the IoS tourney thread. I guess it would make more sense for me to ask them for more details instead of ranting here, but it seems distressing that they'd start banning modes already.

They are a bit right though. Turf wars doesnt have a continual scoring system. It just ends and tallies up the results at the end. This alone makes it more subject to random fluctuations than one would like for a competitive (soley skill based) game.

Gsnap

The reason I asked is James said it was looking like it wasn't going to be included in tournaments due to the "uncompetitive nature of stalling." The way I see it is the team stalling is taking a risk by moving it into their territory and if you can't kill them then you don't deserve to win. Its not hard to break a team that's stalling if you coordinate and use your specials all at once. You can stall on tc, does that make it uncompetitive? No. It just means the other team wasn't good enough to break the containment and played poor enough to get in the sticky situation in the first place. That goes for rainmaker as well. Its not like the team stalling started out with an advantage. They obtained their advantageous position by playing better than the other team. You also can't use other games as a baseline because the other games don't have the same tools at your disposal (no wails to kill daboss camping with the rainmaker).

Some maps aren't made for rainmaker yes, but that doesn't mean you ban the mode. You just ban those maps and hope that the devs fix them just like they did with the bad maps on the other ranked modes.

Oh and I understand the turf war ban but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Absurd. You can stall in every mode. The "uncompetitive nature of stalling" doesn't actually exist. It's a valid strategy just like any other, regardless of whether people like it or not. It's just that, well, people don't like it. If there is an issue, it's a map issue. Yes, Saltspray shouldn't be allowed until it's fixed because camping at the top is a significantly different issue than trying to stall on Walleye. You've got a huge amount of space that your team can cover in your color with only a very narrow and easily defended entry point for the enemy team. And once the rainmaker explodes one teammate, there's 3 other people there to take it back without opposition. Every other instance of stalling on every other map is easily beaten by smart play and is really only a last resort or a smart last minute play. Unlike Saltspray where you gain the lead in the 1st 30 seconds and then stall for the rest of the game.

L95

Playin' ranked, doing okay, pretty much staying even in wins/losses, get disconnected, stubbornly try to play some more matches, lose like 30 points because the internet hates me and derank to B+.

I blame my stubbornness.

ChrisD

Yooooo, I triple-killed the enemies while in their ink through Burst Bomb movement! That's great, time to push and w-- "You lose!"

my three teammates died to Rainmaker and let him ko

They are a bit right though. Turf wars doesnt have a continual scoring system. It just ends and tallies up the results at the end. This alone makes it more subject to random fluctuations than one would like for a competitive (soley skill based) game.

Agreed. There's no counting how many times we've had a game in the bag, only to have it completely change the last second. Normally that's fine, but in turf war, it's only the last second of the match that counts.

DaBoss

So we tested out the Rainmaker "Do not retreat" thing and it just makes the countdown for the rainmaker holder to go down very fast. So it is possible to stall with a retreat, it depends on how far back you have to go to the area you want to stay in to stall.
(no wails to kill daboss camping with the rainmaker).
Hey, that was before I knew I could hide in ink to make the indicator not appear! :p

Robotguy

Had a ranked zones match on saltspray tonight were we were getting rekt. Then I got a triple kill to stop them at 1 and then we held the zone continuously for 100 seconds. Was really tense.

Fun fact: Not sure about other reptiles, but birds do that because their eyes don't move in their sockets, so bobbing or other jerky motions allow them to keep things in focus as long as possible with only brief periods of interruption.

Maybe I was thinking about birds and not reptiles. Maybe I was thinking about both. I dunno.

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention earlier that Scopes feel weird to me, so I just use nonscoped ones. I still try to use them, but eh.

Anony

i lost 3 games today because unstable connections

almost 30 points down cuz of this bullshit

fuck nintendo's shit ass server and matchmaking

Nico_D

So we tested out the Rainmaker "Do not retreat" thing and it just makes the countdown for the rainmaker holder to go down very fast. So it is possible to stall with a retreat, it depends on how far back you have to go to the area you want to stay in to stall.

Getting it to one of the side paths in Port Mackerel would probably keep it very safe. It has some risks though, Inkstrike in particular. But it'd be easy to defend there.

ivysaur12

Banned
CHILDREN.

IF YOU HAVE THE RAINMAKER, MOVE FORWARD.

ESPECIALLY IF THE POINTS ARE CLOSE.

MOVE FORWARD, GET THE SCORE DOWN, PLOW AHEAD. DO NOT DILLY DALLY SHOOTING WILLY NILLY. BE SNEAKY. JUMP. DO ANYTHING TO PUSH THE RAINMAKER AHEAD.

OH MY GOD.

/rant

If Kas can see this: We're playing hide and seek, get found and killed once and you're out.
Hiders use brush.
No supers or killing the seekers (the orange team)

Hey all, I'm recruiting players for squad and private matches. I and a friend who just got the game play on various evenings weekly, typically starting at 8:00 pm CST, though the days vary. PM me if you are interested and able to join up regularly.

jariw

it still has servers.

But isn't "Unstable connection" a message regarding the client side's connection, meaning lost packets? I'm on wired and I think I have only seen such a message once ever (when a download were going on at the same time on a computer in the network).

ss-hikaru

Sounds like most people posting here play ranked, but was wondering for those who do play turf war, have you any stories on identifying when other players are kids playing Splatoon? It was something I started thinking about during the JP milk tea vs. lemon tea splatfest. I had a couple of matches where a team mate would follow me around everywhere. Usually if I end up going in the same direction as a team mate I will change my path as quickly as possible, but in this case, the team mate would follow me no matter what (and always stay behind me). My boyfriend hypothesized that milk team might be more popular with kids and since I was on milk team maybe my stalker team mate was a kid and scared of getting killed if they went out on their own.

Then there was a time when my boyfriend was duking it out with an enemy player for them to suddenly kraken and then use the special to run away as quickly as possible!

Or the time my friend splatted 3 enemy players in one go because they all insisted on running around in a tight knit group.

I obviously have no way of confirming if any of the above examples were actually children, but in these cases it's a bit easier to not get so angry at them (if they are a team mate) or feel kinda sorry for them (if they are an enemy player) :p

I notice it tends to be players that stick close to base and don't go past the middle on stages. Well at least I THINK that's the case. Probably afraid of seeing another player or something?

Twins?

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01v3p5e.jpg

RedFyn

EVERYONE.

IF YOU HAVE THE RAINMAKER, MOVE FORWARD.

ESPECIALLY IF THE POINTS ARE CLOSE.

MOVE FORWARD, GET THE SCORE DOWN, PLOW AHEAD. DO NOT DILLY DALLY SHOOTING WILLY NILLY. BE SNEAKY. JUMP. DO ANYTHING TO PUSH THE RAINMAKER AHEAD.

OH MY GOD.

/rant
Let's be real here. Its not just the children.

Hey all, I'm recruiting players for squad and private matches. I and a friend who just got the game play on various evenings weekly, typically starting at 8:00 pm CST, though the days vary. PM me if you are interested and able to join up regularly.
If you want to join us on discord (see 2nd? post) there's always someone in there looking to squad up.

Nico_D

Why everybody else's weapon are always so much better than what ever I'm holding? They just automatically produce incredible amount of kills. And when I switch to them, the game glitches and the guns are not working anymore.

Fix this, Nintendo!

Orgen

Went from A- to B- in a terrible day... my god I should've stopped way earlier hahaha

Sorry for the newbie question but I have some doubts about the sub ability slots for the gear. I don't know how they work exactly and I found this on Gamefaqs:

An ability that is in the main slot of your clothing will have a stronger effect than if it were in the sub slot. The ratio is 1:3, where it takes 3 of the same ability in a sub slot to have the same effectiveness as an ability in the main slot. In other words, having a piece of clothing with Special Charge Up in the main slot will give you the same boost as having a piece of clothing with 3 copies of Special Charge Up in its sub slots. Keep in mind though, that abilities come with diminishing returns if you stack them. If you had a piece of clothing with Special Charge Up, and that clothing had 3 copies of Special Charge Up in its sub slots, the effectiveness you get from the sub slots is reduced greatly. Therefore, it is more worthwhile to only have 1 copy of an ability in your main slot, or 3 copies of an ability in your sub slots, and do not go above that. The versatility and overall effectiveness you would get out of mix and matching will end up being superior to stacking abilities in the long run.

So I should have gear with 3 different main power ups (the 3 ones I prefer) and then having different sub abilities to have a more rounded player? Or does it work completely different than what I quoted? (I didn't pay any attention to gear before so that explains why I went down so much in Rank).

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'll try to join GAF squads son when I get better at the game :D

Nico_D

PS: I'll try to join GAF squads son when I get better at the game :D

Feel free to join sooner. You'll get better playing with GAF. These people aren't critics, it's just a game. Except when it's for something really serious like Rainmaker. Or Tower Control. Especially Splatzones. But other than that.

Feel free to join sooner. You'll get better playing with GAF. These people aren't critics, it's just a game. Except when it's for something really serious like Rainmaker. Or Tower Control. Especially Splatzones. But other than that.

Well, I mean, we can be critics. Lots of people here can offer advice for flaws they spot in your playstyle.

Nico_D

Actually, I was talking about myself receiving advice from Sendou.

Phew. What a relief. For a moment I felt my ego shattering. A hell of a pile of glass that would've been.

Bullshit aside, I had fun getting killed by you. And because of that I hope Spyke fucks up your rolls even more in the future.

Very nice! Any mention of a US release? The link isn't working for me.

But 61 tracks? There are only 31 listed on Squid Beatz!
Just hit enter on the address bar. It is a "feature" of the Famitsu website. Famitsu is a Japanese site so no info like that.

Anyway the Famitsu article says 37 music tracks, 10 jingles, 14 sound effects and the first public release of the lyrics! Can't really make sense of the rest of the paragraph but I think it is saying something about the E3 version of " Splattack! ".

Missed opportunity for the full US commercial song (too many people know the butchered "you're a kid, you're a squid, you're a kid, you're a squid...splasplasplasplatooon" and don't know the full 2+ minute version) without sound effects

So does Squid Beatz list Splatfest plaza and battle? Does Squid Beatz split some variants (in particular the single player nearer ends of stages...though single player itself has loads of context and ambient music, especially in the hub).

Geg

Ha, I didn't notice it said Splatune before

Hmm, on Famitsu it only specifically mentions Squid Squad and the Squid Sisters by name. I hope it includes the new music from the update.

edit: Never mind, it's just talking about band album covers there, not bands included on the ost

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess that means music is final if they're happy to put it on CD.

Now to contemplate whether to import or hope NoE brings it out here. They did for other recent CDs, but Club Nintendo CDs vs retail CDs could be a different story.

Luigi87

I got the 3-pack of Amiibos back at launch, but never opened them (unlike my Smash amiibos)... Got the game yesterday.
As a starting out player, is the unlock DLC worth it?
Highly doubt I'll be reselling these, I just hate that I have to destroy the packaging to open them, lol

DaBoss

I think the Squid Amiibo would at least be worth opening. Gives you some neat limited ink challenges for single players as well as a unique set of gear called Power Armor which looks cool. And the arcade game that you unlock is Squid Beats, which is basically a sound test. And you get a reskin of the regular Splattershot which looks identical to the one you use in single-player.

I got the 3-pack of Amiibos back at launch, but never opened them (unlike my Smash amiibos)... Got the game yesterday.
As a starting out player, is the unlock DLC worth it?
Highly doubt I'll be reselling these, I just hate that I have to destroy the packaging to open them, lol
The power armor suit is my favorite from the pack along with the hero replica gun. To me it was worth it

FfxMy95.jpg

Look at how fresh this suit is

Top Bottom