• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Mellopillow

Neo Member
GGs to everyone I played with from GAF today. Big mentions to the following:

- Mellopillow / Emil for your Luna Blaster; I've never seen someone use the AOE damage on it so effectively before, because you were shutting me down like crazy.

- Azure J for your hard Splatterscope denials; caught me by surprise a few times on Mall. There was that one kill I got against you down the side corridor that I swear I shouldn't have got, but somehow lucked out. ^^;

- Robotguy/DaBoss/B-Bech/RedFyn/ryechu/J@hranimo for all the Ranked games. Quite a few struggles, but some sweet victories today as well! Props to Robotbuy's crazy 19-6 K-D on Warehouse Splat Zones.

Thanks! But nah I'm not that good with it yet xD I haven't used it at all since the first time it came out, so I'm just testing things out, seeing what works well and what abilities go great with it. I felt like learning a blaster for some reason lol
But you on the other hand, are deadly with the 96 gal! krakens ;-; can't stop them with a blaster mannn. Ggs tho!

Please tell me this update fixes the horrid ranked squad ink colors. Every match is just purple vs. pink. It's... so bad, and impossible to tell the difference between the two at times. >.>
Play in colour blind mode (or whatever it is called). That will make orange vs blue.

The problem I've seen is US players keep getting the splatfest colours for ranked (this has been since that one was announced) which is that awful tranformers pink vs purple.

Callie and Marie shows the new gear during their broadcast......and it's old.
Turns out the update did as follows:
https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/638916354498625537 said:
So someone did a diff between 2.0.0 and 2.1.0, they only modified obj_athleticKiwa and obj_updown00ikaKaesi (to fix collision with a block)
yes lmao, that and code edits
Given the file size differences (what we got vs what they said) thoughts are they had a bigger update in mind and pulled it for some reason. Still can't help but wonder what the code edits were...

Given it was rumored to have four more stages (there are small bits of data currently implying that) maybe it is best to actually release the bridge first.

jariw

Given the file size differences (what we got vs what they said) thoughts are they had a bigger update in mind and pulled it for some reason. Still can't help but wonder what the code edits were...

Given it was rumored to have four more stages (there are small bits of data currently implying that) maybe it is best to actually release the bridge first.

Didn't NWPlayer123 also say something about the update removing uppcoming things that could be leaked?

Didn't NWPlayer123 also say something about the update removing uppcoming things that could be leaked?
Yes, it is possible they've changed release strategy to avoid such leaks so we can expect smaller updates more often (plus a download which is irritating as I still don't have a reliable way to force the Wii U to update a game, why can't it be a 3DS where I just go onto the eShop and download the update myself). Maybe taunting @SplatoonJP was not a good idea?

Speaking of data mining I found it interesting the Tharja trophy was purged from existence in SSB while in Splatoon the Warrior Headress hat still has an icon. The nature of them being unsuitable is similar (we only know the SSB one due to leaks).
Who would want 0* items with bomb range up anyway

It took me almost 100hr to realize that your special gauge will increase automatically in ranked mode even without tenacity, in danger or losing. o_0

B_Bech

So I've been reading through the data mined information, and I must say... my life will remain hollow until I'll be able to stroke the sweet bristles of the Octobrush Neuveau. Splat Bombs + Inkzooka on a brush of all things! That brings a tear to my eye.

Which leaked weapons are you lot looking forward to the most?

J@hranimo

Banned
So I've been reading through the data mined information, and I must say... my life will remain hollow until I'll be able to stroke the sweet bristles of the Octobrush Neuveau. Splat Bombs + Inkzooka on a brush of all things! That brings a tear to my eye.

Which leaked weapons are you lot looking forward to the most?

We did talk about this some in Discord yesterday (early morning?) and I'm still looking forward to Carbon Roller Deco with the seeker rush, H-3 Nozzlenose with suction bomb and echolocator and the Zink Mini Splatling, which comes with disruptor and bubbler. I need a bubbler weapon stat lol.

DaBoss

I don't think I've ever had matches as satisfying as the ones Robotguy, Ryechu, and I had as a Tri-Squad last night. I wish they were recorded.

One match in particular was against SS-S (they were using weapons they don't normally use) where we managed to pull out a victory in OT.

Really_zpsweyhrr5p.jpg
This picture confuses me.

Every stat analysis guide I’ve read (unless I’ve overlooked something) states that abilities can only be stacked up to 3. This can mean 3 Mains 3 Subs, 2 Mains 1 Sub, as long as there are three.

So why would this person purposely re-roll to achieve 8 damage ups? Wouldn’t it just translate to having effectively 2 Main 1 Sub?

TM25

Neo Member
I don't think I've ever had matches as satisfying as the ones Robotguy, Ryechu, and I had as a Tri-Squad last night. I wish they were recorded.

One match in particular was against SS-S (they were using weapons they don't normally use) where we managed to pull out a victory in OT.

It wasn't until this game where I understood peoples desire for spectator mode and streaming. I take it you checked that they weren't streaming their side of the match..

Every stat analysis guide I’ve read (unless I’ve overlooked something) states that abilities can only be stacked up to 3. This can mean 3 Mains 3 Subs, 2 Mains 1 Sub, as long as there are three.

So why would this person purposely re-roll to achieve 8 damage ups? Wouldn’t it just translate to having effectively 2 Main 1 Sub?

3 subs of a skill equals one main. So those subs translate into two mains.

DaBoss

lol, this tweet: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/638909944826212352

This isn't true. I don't think we know what the cap for abilities are, but we do know it doesn't cap out at 3 main abilities and 3 sub abilities. And yea, what spindashing said, 3 subs abilities are nearly the equivalent of 1 main ability (just a bit less).

I may have heard that 3 main Dmg Ups and 6 Dmg Up subs is the cap.
It wasn't until this game where I understood peoples desire for spectator mode and streaming. I take it you checked that they weren't streaming their side of the match..
Unfortunately, they weren't.

Geg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177316523&postcount=59

Splatoon in Japan has now sold more than Smash 4 Wii U did in the same timeframe. Smash sold 602K in its first 14 weeks and Splatoon has sold 607K in its first 14 weeks. It's also about 4 weeks away from passing Mario Kart 8 as well, despite MK8's launch being more than double Splatoon's.

The Splatoon tumblr added a bit about them forgetting to update the teleprompter lol

So it's more correct to think of it not as 3 hard slots, and more like just standard caps that equate to what 3 "Main" skills would net you?

For example stacking three main Swim Speed Ups get you to 17%, but you could also hit close to that cap of 17% by running with 9 Swim Speed Up subs?

I really would like to figure this out before I hunt gear down and spend all my sea shells.

The Japanese research suggests a main is worth 10 compared to a sub being worth being 3. For most situations it is very hard to tell the small difference that makes.

Regarding guides it is more that some situations stop giving any benefit or as much benefit after a certain point. Damage up is a tricky one due to weapons shots to kill being fairly fixed so acting as a damage cap. That said for the most part burst bombs and chargers are not affected by this.

Heng

So it's more correct to think of it not as 3 hard slots, and more like just standard caps that equate to what 3 "Main" skills would net you?

For example stacking three main Swim Speed Ups get you to 17%, but you could also hit close to that cap of 17% by running with 9 Swim Speed Up subs?

I really would like to figure this out before I hunt gear down and spend all my sea shells.
When they refer to 3 as the cap, I'm pretty sure they meant main, although that is incorrect. I don't know where you've read that the cap is 3, but it doesn't and I'm not sure if there even is a cap (maybe there is because any more would be wasted because damage ups will never decrease the amount of shots needed to kill for rapid fire weapons). I say this because I'm pretty sure if you ran 6 damage up against a guy with 3 defense up, it would be close to fighting someone with no defense up and yourself with 3 damage up.

From what others have said, subs are worth 3 points and mains are worth 10. Running with 9 swim speed up would be close to 3 main swim speed up but barely under it. If you really want to find out if abilities can stack over a certain point, I would recommend you find someone here and set up a private match where on of you have 4 main swim speed up and the other has 5 or 6 and race each other. The diminishing returns may become higher at a certain point if I had to guess.

StAidan

Had some cool squad time last night with Walkman, Robotguy, SM239, and Ryechu. Thanks to these fine fellows, I'm now within spitting distance of my rightful A+ rank (lol). I'll make the attempt at some point when neither Rainmaker nor Arowana Mall is in rotation...

Long time no see GAF. Looking to run some squad with decent players for a change. My NNID is B01nky. Let me know if anyone wants to play later today!

Robotguy

That match was hype AF.
Was so disappointed I didn't record it afterwards.

ChrisD

Boot up game:

"Camp Triggerfish is still in Turf War! Yes!"

*next stage shown*
Flounder Heights

A good stage, ran to the ground through a week straight of non-stop "rotation."

ChrisD

missed opportunity for some callie and marie banter here

callie being all sympathetic about ranking down and marie being all "git gud"

This would be great.

Unless something goes terribly wrong I'm already pulling back up. At 88 points. I guess A+ is my actual home if I'm staying in it.

And as I was typing, a round started, so I left the reply box up. That round ended with us taking the lead with ONE SECOND on the clock! :D

Azure J

If you guys are up to
having excess baggage
trying again with a fourth, I could stream it. I really haven't done squads enough in this game yet.

The month of Splatember has only just begun.

September birthdays still worthwhile just for this pun. Can't wait for Splatember 24th. :lol

Heng

If you guys are up to
having excess baggage
trying again with a fourth, I could stream it. I really haven't done squads enough in this game yet.
It's only awesome because 3 players were able to beat a quad squad. Quad squad is okay but not as great as a try hard tri squad.

Robotguy

If you guys are up to
having excess baggage

September birthdays still worthwhile just for this pun. Can't wait for Splatember 24th. :lol
I could have streamed or recorded it but I was like "nah" and then that match happened and I was like "I wish I was recording that." :(
It's only awesome because 3 players were able to beat a quad squad. Quad squad is okay but not as great as a try hard tri squad.
It was more awesome because it was SS-S/SS-H specifically.

But yeah, Tri squads are great when you have a good group. Much more intense.

Geg

Maybe because there are some points in rainmaker maps where you can just skip over large amounts of the counter, like how in Bluefin if you manage to climb up the pile of crates and jump onto the grate on the same level as the goal, your counter jumps instantly from the 60s to the 30s

Robotguy

What I've observed so far:

From Walleye it appears that the distance is the 3D radial distance from the goal. You can tell it's not merely 2D top down radial distance because of the mismatches in the 30, 40, 50 lines, which imply that elevation matters. However, the 60/70/80/90 lines don't show any mismatch at points of changing elevation, which implies that either their is a problem with the accuracy of the map, or that the distance calculator rules are inconsistent.

Skatepark is similar to Warehouse in that the near mapping appears to be 3D radial distance, as the lines as roughly circular but deform appropriately with changing elevation, but again when we get to lines 60-90 the effects of elevation change disappear. (This might just be because the effects of elevation change on distance to the goal do decrease with farther 2d distance on the map (math), and that at some point the effect simply becomes too subtle for the testers to pick up)

No impact from elevation is apparent on the mall map, though I would expect to see it based on Skatepark and Warehouse.

Makerel is similar to the above.

But on other maps the distance is clearly not based on the 3D radial distance, and I don't really know what's going on. I'll look at it more later.

If you need to cross a certain point barrier to win in OT then memorizing those maps is incredible useful. I was really confused by some of the scoring on those maps until seeing it documented like this.
But on other maps the distance is clearly not based on the 3D radial distance, and I don't really know what's going on. I'll look at it more later.
It looks like shortcut blocks alter the scoring distances too. Bluefin best documents the impact.

Top Bottom