• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Kito

Is it me or is the GamePad considerably heavier with the bigger battery? Wish I could just use Pro in the game ;-;

CO31PW7VEAUCs4_.jpg:large

Can't believe it took me 53 snails and 330K to get this cloth. ;_;

Finally my ideal full set done.

Robotguy

Had some really excellent matches/moments today between squads and random turf wars. I'll get everything up during the day today, but this one I had to get up there quick:

SplatGAF (SM239, GuySloth, Toadsili T & Azure J) vs. Squid Squad Hearts/Clubs (Frank, BooTheBun, Yuulka, & DUDE)

The best part about this one is that I found two different POVs from the opposing side to watch it from thanks to BooTheBun and Yuulka streaming it:

Boo's POV
Yuulka's POV

Some others I got up include:

The Longest Yard
It's an INK-VASION!
Port Mackerel Match
Arowana Mall Match

I'll finish parsing the stuff I have for highlights later today.
Nice!
Watching that match was the first time I noticed that there is a blimp over arowana, lol.

So, I have a ton of highlights from the last long stream that I did to share with everyone. I don't imagine you'd all watch everything but a few of them I have to point out (in bold):

Caught Between a Rock & An Inky Place - Rainmaker shield too OP
ayy lmao - ayy lmao
SplatGAF Azure vs SplatGAF Sendou - GAF Civil Wars are the best.
SplatGAF vs. The E-Lites - Four E-Liter team on Port Mackerel. Fun times.
When you drop your combo but play it off as a reset - I have the best Splash Walls. lol
Solo_Ranked.mp4 - The beginning of the nuttiest bit of ranked I've played in this game.
Splash_Wall.mp4 - When I first began to realize this sub is hilarious.

Even_More_Splash_Walls.mp4 - The ultimate conclusion of my "Splash Wall is fucking hilarious" hypothesis.
Carbon_Rollers.mp4 - Sabobo doe.
Carbon Rollers Are Evil - Absolutely savage.
lrn2Kraken - How did that Kraken get there? I am not good with computer.
Slippin' In Pubs - Nothing like charger night on Walleye with randoms to let you feel a little better about yourself after fucking up in ranked. lol
WALKMAN04 is a Savage. - Self Explanatory
Don't Jump: The Match - I have never hit one target so consistently in all the time I've used charger.
How To Fight A Sniper: Mash all of the nuclear options.
More Slippin' In Pubs - Moray Towers - Just another set of silly turf war things.
Charger Duels - It's almost guaranteed that whenever you have a good moment 1v1 against another charger player at max range and defy death in multiple manners that you will get splatted in the most embarrasing manner right afterwards. lol
Bombs. - Now you all can have a good explosive treat to eat as well!

I still have a small bit of that stream to go through and a few backlogged highlights to get up soon as well so stay tuned!

DUDE.... How the hell do you remember everything to highlight? lol

Nico_D

Ok question... Will nintendo ever give us the ability to customize our weapon layout?

I hope not. I think that would seriously unbalance the gameplay and make super weapons which everybody would use without any variance. The situation with .96's is bad enough as it is.

Pikma

Banned
Me and a teammate survived through an unstable connection that kicked two of our own teammates and all of the opposite team. :lol

And we we're about to lose too.

This fucking game

Nico_D

So, a question to ChargerGAF.

Why is charger so inconsistent? Or why am I as a charger? I can go from, say, 11 kills to 2 kills to not being able to kill anybody and missing all the shots - and back again.

Is there anything to do? Is it nerves? Fatigue?

Does anybody else using chargers have slumps?

Pikma

Banned

Why is charger so inconsistent? Or why am I as a charger? I can go from, say, 11 kills to 2 kills to not being able to kill anybody and missing all the shots - and back again.

you know I do have slumps too. For me most of the times it's because A) haven't played in a while B) I'm fatigued, since chargers really require a lot for me, both mentally and physically or C) FUCKING LAG

'A' is the only option where I'm actually able to do something about it, which is practicing for a while.

Because it requires an extremely high level of precision that the other weapon classes do not.

Personally, I find I play godly if I'm well-rested, and horrendously if I slept badly the night before (often from staying up too late sniping--hmm).

Slumps are normal, unfortunately. As you get better, they at least happen somewhat less often.

Sendou

Tell me if you find out :p. Blaster is much more consistent for me.

To add to what I said above, I feel like charger requires better map awareness than the other weapons because your entire point is to splat people before they get close, meaning you have to watch more of the map at once. You also have terrible maneuverability paired with being extremely effective from highly visible locations.

Azure J

Nice!
Watching that match was the first time I noticed that there is a blimp over arowana, lol.

Rewatching that match has had me wondering if it would have been smarter to come down their side passageway with rainmaker after that delayed early quad instead of barreling down the middle and having to fight someone coming up the ramp with all of rainmaker's weirdness when aiming down.

I'm also wondering if I could have set up better win conditions for the team with the space control I was trying to go for a few times in the match (bomb rushing from the ramp leading to their side of the map; the multiple max charge shots to ink the mid and ramp up so I could follow Toad better). Watching the match from Yuulka's perspective really made me more confident in some of my match decisions (inking over the path she was setting up and returning to the main fray slowly to take in everything that could be set up over the distance of the stage to where the objective was), but I feel like I still have some things to work on (most notably getting out of suction bomb hitboxes/setups lol).

DUDE.... How the hell do you remember everything to highlight? lol

I have a ridiculously good memory + when I'm not doing work/reading, I'm doing something online so I just go through the VoDs. It's pretty easy until you have to work with multiple hour long archives and Twitch's wacky highlight export functionality. Seriously, why does it reset/reload the VoD from the beginning when you choose to export multiple highlights from the same block of video? Why can't I just multi-export in the same window? :lol

BlueSilver once told me that charger is the most hit or miss (heh) class in the game. These mood/ability swings just happen. Honestly? The best advice I can give is to just shrug and get on to the next game. The moment you start doubting or hesitating your aim or approaches is pretty much the moment your entire team suffers from it. If you want to get consistent or just feel better (as much of a bully suggestion this is going to sound like), head into some low level turf wars and play a few rounds where you just shoot everything moving and forget the objective for a bit. Then after getting confident in your shooting again, try to fulfill both a personal quota (say 6K/1D) that you increase over time and the objective. After that, try doing both of those while incorporating thoughts on how you use your ink lines for more than just traveling or inking turf. While TW is only one of the four modes available and TW fundamentals transfer to the different ranked modes differently, you should still be working on the raw basics that are aiming, shooting, and approach/evasion which in turn give you more solid fundamentals to layer on tactics with.

It's what I've been doing since I picked up charger and any number of SplatGAF regulars will tell you I make the DUMBEST decisions while having some semblance of decent
inb4DaBoss
fundamentals to work on. You can also talk to Ryechu-sensei & Heng for more technical analysis since I don't think I'm in a place to teach people anything more than how not to play with a bomb by practice. :lol

Had some really excellent matches/moments today between squads and random turf wars. I'll get everything up during the day today, but this one I had to get up there quick:

SplatGAF (SM239, GuySloth, Toadsili T & Azure J) vs. Squid Squad Hearts/Clubs (Frank, BooTheBun, Yuulka, & DUDE)

The best part about this one is that I found two different POVs from the opposing side to watch it from thanks to BooTheBun and Yuulka streaming it:

Boo's POV
Yuulka's POV

Some others I got up include:

The Longest Yard
It's an INK-VASION!
Port Mackerel Match
Arowana Mall Match

I'll finish parsing the stuff I have for highlights later today.
I really don't like it when Boo drinks and plays. Given that they all said they were tired (or drunk) at the end of the match, I wonder if they'll just play this off as "this wasn't a serious match so whatevs".

Azure J

For Azure:

From the Splatoon fanart thread, before anyone gets the idea that I can draw. Lol.

Kill it with ink!

Great art style and love the little effects

I really don't like it when Boo drinks and plays. Given that they all said they were tired (or drunk) at the end of the match, I wonder if they'll just play this off as "this wasn't a serious match so whatevs".

Yeah I heard that part and felt kinda bad for getting hype for winning but at the same time, a win's a win. :p

Really want to help co-ordinate some sort of SplatGAF vs. The World sometime.

Heng

I go through this all the time as well. I think the problem comes what's required to play a charger effectively. It's hard to control a map every game because players adapt to your play style. This of course is from my experience with chargers.

Other times you're just tired and you don't realize it. Usually when my aim is off, I'll try a different weapon or check if my gyro didn't mess up while I was playing.

I have a ridiculously good memory + when I'm not doing work/reading, I'm doing something online so I just go through the VoDs. It's pretty easy until you have to work with multiple hour long archives and Twitch's wacky highlight export functionality. Seriously, why does it reset/reload the VoD from the beginning when you choose to export multiple highlights from the same block of video? Why can't I just multi-export in the same window? :lol

Oh ok. My memory is absolute trash. I can barely remember what I ate for dinner last night lol. I'm going to just start using the highlight feature that my bot has. That's probably why I only have like 2 highlights right now. When I see you chop and drop so many highlights in one day I get jealous lol.

It can be all 3, or the match just wasn't playing in your favor. Other times, the other 3 teammates are just on point the whole match, leaving you with little to do. If you start becoming inconsistent or just doing poorly, take some time to take a deep breath and stretch your forearms. That tends to help. I would offer more advice, but I'm on mobile.

ChrisD

So does everyone play this game standing up?

Goodness no. That'd be more tiring than Wii Fit. I just hold it down while sitting on the couch.

Worst special. Tentatek is useless now. Buff Inkzooka 2015.

2015 is the year of Buff .96 Gal, you can hold out until 2016 for your Inkzooka.

omg I'm not kidding when I say unwinnable game. Standstill on Flounder Heights, we popped it after thirty seconds, and then... Kraken-geddon. Ink strike rained down from the sky, and from within, one Rainmaker wielder emerged with two Special Duration Up Krakens by his side. It was straight outta Michael Bay.

ChrisD

So the same guy somehow managed to land in two Turf War matches in a row, on my side, even though I left lobby. And both times he AFKd. Why?

Top Bottom