• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

Yeah it's pretty easy to get flanked on the new stage, especially in the ranked versions where they add different platforms to give access to more of the stage that aren't there in the turf wars version.

It felt like Zing figured out the stage really quickly in the private matches we played yesterday, he was constantly shooting at me from places where I was like "How did he get there??"

JCX

I love the feeling of learning a new stage. I'm sure Hammerhead will be in the lineup for Splatfest tomorrow, since new stages seem to get highlighted in those.

Are any other modes rumored to be coming, or was Rainmaker the last?

StAidan

I think Nintendo must have given Zing a preview of the map or something, the way he was lurking around every corner last night.

But seriously, it seems like there is pretty much nowhere you can safely go, there can be someone above or below you at all times and the narrow walkways tend to limit your mobility. Lots of little walls to hide behind, but I still found it difficult to get the drop on anyone.

Zing

Banned
It felt like Zing figured out the stage really quickly in the private matches we played yesterday, he was constantly shooting at me from places where I was like "How did he get there??"
I was trying to find every climbable surface!

So I took the dive last night finally and bought this game.

One word to describe my experience so far : infuriating.

I don't know if this is a common issue or not but whenever attempting to go online I join a match, load in, then roughly 15 seconds later I get a "this connection is unstable". Now I tested my Internet at 10 mbps down and have never had issues with MK8 or smash or anything, just splatoon.

I tried tons of other solutions that supposedly work online but nothing did the trick. So now I'm out 60$ and can't return due to it being an eshop purchase. Excellent.

If anyone has any possible tip or trick for me to fixing this I would greatly appreciate it.

nom

I don't know if this is a common issue or not but whenever attempting to go online I join a match, load in, then roughly 15 seconds later I get a "this connection is unstable". Now I tested my Internet at 10 mbps down and have never had issues with MK8 or smash or anything, just splatoon.

What's your upload speed? This game is pretty notorious for using quite a lot, I think a good minimum would be 0.7 Mbps

Vecks

I tried tons of other solutions that supposedly work online but nothing did the trick. So now I'm out 60$ and can't return due to it being an eshop purchase. Excellent.

If anyone has any possible tip or trick for me to fixing this I would greatly appreciate it.

Have you tried calling nintendo for a refund? I don't know if they do that or not, but since it is possible and known problem for some people perhaps they'll make exceptions for this.

Otherwise, if you want to try to get it working, I've heard that the game relies on a solid upload speed, at least .6 mbps. Since you have a pretty good connection I have to wonder if anyone else is sharing it. If so, you might want to mess with the QoS settings on your router and give the wii u higher priority.

Other possible/standard solutions would include forwarding ports on the wii u or putting it on DMZ to make it simpler.

phanphare

Banned

what's your upload speed?

Replying to all, my upload speed hovers around 3.23 mbps. That should be enough shouldn't it?

I also had tried the port forwarding and even making sure the Wii U was the only thing connected to my router.

Robotguy

Surprised to see people saying you need .6/.7 MB/s up since I have ~.9, and I can stream (in potato quality) without connection issues.

That disappoints me. I'm currently using WiFi, haven't bothered with an ethernet adapter. I've read online that for some players buying that didn't even make a difference so I don't want to waste more money on it.

That disappoints me. I'm currently using WiFi, haven't bothered with an ethernet adapter. I've read online that for some players buying that didn't even make a difference so I don't want to waste more money on it.
There are two main reasons you'll get errors up the ass.

The first is bad upload speeds.
The second is due to inadequate WiFi. Splatoon's really picky.

Sounds like the latter to me TBH.

Geg

Yeah in the big August update something changed in the netcode that makes it so some people who might have been able to connect fine before suddenly can't finish a game without getting kicked off. I don't think anyone ever found out what exactly is different now though. It's always upsetting to hear about though; I wish Nintendo would address it in some way.

I used to get occasional disconnects and errors before the update, but since then I've been almost completely error-free. I don't know why the experience is so different among players

It is disappointing, I really have enjoyed the single player I've played so far but it seems the bulk of the game is online.

I haven't been able to play a single match more than 15-20 seconds before disconnecting. I even tried using my phone as a Hotspot which typically has fixed issues I mightve had with Internet in the past and I get the same thing.

phanphare

Banned
It is disappointing, I really have enjoyed the single player I've played so far but it seems the bulk of the game is online.

I haven't been able to play a single match more than 15-20 seconds before disconnecting. I even tried using my phone as a Hotspot which typically has fixed issues I mightve had with Internet in the past and I get the same thing.

not to make you waste more money but I think going wired would be a good thing to try out. it'll be beneficial for all of your online games even if it doesn't fix whatever is going on with Splatoon. pretty sure you can get an adapter for like $10.

ChrisD

I really want to play Rainmaker on Hammerhead, but judging from the play I'm seeing on Tower Control, doing so with Randoms is going to be torture. I know it takes time to adapt, but still...

phanphare

Banned
Flounder Heights in the Turf Wars rotation

capturexgjzh.png

Geg

According to the site, Hammerhead Bridge will continue being in the normal rotation in Japan beyond 24 hours while everyone else in in Splatfest. Get ready for Endless Flounder Heights 2: Hammerhead Bridge Edition

ffdgh

According to the site, Hammerhead Bridge will continue being in the normal rotation in Japan beyond 24 hours while everyone else in in Splatfest. Get ready for Endless Flounder Heights 2: Hammerhead Bridge Edition
I'm ok with this. Less climbable walls unlike heights is a good thing for me.

Yeah in the big August update something changed in the netcode that makes it so some people who might have been able to connect fine before suddenly can't finish a game without getting kicked off. I don't think anyone ever found out what exactly is different now though
We figured it out actually. Before it would tolerate connections with low upload speeds that sometimes caused ink lag for the whole room. Now it just kicks them off when it senses that the laggies are gonna happen.

But some people had a similar issue before the update but that was generally caused by poor Wifi I think.

ChrisD

Okay it's a GOAT stage but I really can't take another month of one map. Maybe it's just so everyone gets the same amount of time with the map...?

J@hranimo

Banned
Been feeling like a dirty casual playing Turf Wars a bunch today lol. I think I'm gonna use the N-Zap 89 this Splatfest. Does anyone just use one weapon for every splatfest?

I like to just use one per Splatfest. I dunno, it's just a thing I like to do haha.

Junahu

I've been putting my 2-year old Nephew on Splatoon. He's really proficient at navigating to the options menu and messing with my settings. I am really thankful that there isn't a "Erase save-data" option there.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
The connection is unstable. :/

I just want to play the new map. Only time I've been able to finish a round is on Flounder Heights.

Been feeling like a dirty casual playing Turf Wars a bunch today lol. I think I'm gonna use the N-Zap 89 this Splatfest. Does anyone just use one weapon for every splatfest?

I like to just use one per Splatfest. I dunno, it's just a thing I like to do haha.

Depending on the maps, it's either the N-Zap '89 or Inkbrush.

Calling it right now, here are my Splatfest predictions:

Votes: Art
Wins: Science
Overall: Art (Just Barely)

That's funny, since I've started playing the game again on Wed I've noticed more Science compared to Art heh. We'll see how it goes!

I still see a bunch of Team Art posts, so yeah, we'll see.

J@hranimo

Banned
That's funny, since I've started playing the game again on Wed I've noticed more Science compared to Art heh. We'll see how it goes!

Top Bottom