• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Pikma

Banned
"Oh look Pikma is about to get to S+, let's start putting him on teams with 3 A players against 4 S players and start taking 8 points from him while we're at it"

"YEAAAAH BECAUSE FUCK PIKMA"

Robotguy

I want friend cap raise plz

It shouldn't be this hard Nintendo, instead of making the 3DS the most stable handheld on the planet just raise the friend list to like 500 or something. Sheesh!
But what if they raise the friends list cap to 500 and then stability decreases?

Luigi87

It's nice being able to tell exactly how your team won: Thanks to an enemy who cared more about scoring a kill on me, rather than my teammate with the Rainmaker.

The enemy went Kraken and was chasing the Rainmaker carrier on my team. I followed up, turned a corner, the enemy turned around so he could splat me, which gave my teammate enough time to take the lead, which we held until the end of the game.

Edit: Also I swear, I can't stand people who pick up the Rainmaker yet lack the courage to MOVE FORWARD.
Also you should seriously lose distance for suiciding with the Rainmaker =/

Also game, if you have a B+ and two S ranks in the room, have the courtesy to not put both S against me, and the B+ with me, and when I lose don't take -8 from me...

Geg

Amazon.jp has the full tracklist of the soundtrack up! http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B014HZSPI2/

Another site I found has the track list plus the name of the fictional band that did each song, which is next to the song title

My translation:

Disc 1
01. Opening / Squid Squad
02. Splattack! (Jam Session) / Squid Squad
03. Splattack! / Squid Squad
04. Ink or Sink / Squid Squad
05. Seaskape / Squid Squad
06. Kraken Up / Squid Squad
07. Metalopod / Squid Squad
08. Now or Never! / Squid Squad
09. Battle Win Jingle
10. Battle Win Results
11. Battle Loss Jingle
12. Battle Loss Results
13. Friend List / AXBY
14. Quick Start / AXBY
15. Hooked / Hightide Era
16. Sucker Punch / Hightide Era
17. Player Creation
18. Arrival at Inkopolis
19. Inkopolis Tutorial
20. Plaza
21. Lobby
22. Ika Jamaica / Cala Marley (lmao)
23. Lookin' Fresh / DJ Lee F.
24. Inkopolis News
25. Splatfest Announcement

Disc 2
01. Haikara Shinka / Squid Sisters (it's the main Splatfest theme the sisters sing in the plaza. Maybe wait for an official localization of this one)
02. Splatfest Match Opening / Squid Sisters
03. Ink Me Up / Squid Sisters
04. Ima, Nuranebaa! / Squid Sisters (this is just the Now or Never! one minute left song title but with a pun about painting in the middle. I can't think of a way to put a painting pun into Now or Never lol)
05. Splatfest Results Announcement
06. Item Jingle
07. Cuttlefish's Theme
08. Octo Valley
09. Eight-Legged Adventure / OCTOTOOL
10. Tentacular Circus / OCTOTOOL
11. Cephaloparade / OCTOTOOL
12. Inkstrike Shuffle / OCTOTOOL
13. Octoling Rendezvous / OCTOTOOL
14. Octoweaponry / OCTOTOOL
15. Hero Mode Clear!
16. Hero Mode Game Over!
17. Sunken Scrolls
18. I Am Octavio / DJ Octavio
19. Calamari County / Squid Sisters
20. Maritime Memory / Squid Sisters
21. SE: Hiding In Ink
22. SE: Diving Into ink
23. SE: Swimming In Ink
24. SE: Splattershot
25: SE: Splat Charger
26. SE: Splat Bomb
27. SE: Super Jump
28. SE: Killer Wail
29. SE: Inkstrike
30. Voice (Girl): Happy
31. Voice (Girl): Defeated
32. Voice (Boy): Happy
33. Voice (Boy): Defeated
34. Voice (Squid Sisters): Catchphrase
35. The Customary Chorus of Calamari County
36. Splattack! (E3 2014 PV)

J@hranimo

Banned
I wish the OST had some of those short songs that play in inkopolis near the speakers.

Has anyone ever just been idle in the plaza and stood near the speakers and listened to them if they came on? Those are some nice tunes.

ChrisD

I wish the OST had some of those short songs that play in inkopolis near the speakers.

Has anyone ever just been idle in the plaza and stood near the speakers and listened to them if they came on? Those are some nice tunes.

At least once per play so a few times a day. I like the one with the guitar.

Crayolan

I'm guessing Calamari County is the final boss theme phase 2 judging by its placement. But then what's the difference between that and Customary Chorus of Calamari County?

Geg

I'm just going off of what the song is called in the sunken scroll; in the Japanese version of the game the name of the squid sister's final boss song is actually announced by Cap'n Cuttlefish. The customary chorus version is an unreleased version that they said would be on the ost. If I had to guess it probably has like traditional Japanese instrumentation or something

Crayolan

I'm just going off of what the song is called in the sunken scroll; in the Japanese version of the game the name of the squid sister's final boss song is actually announced by Cap'n Cuttlefish. The customary chorus version is an unreleased version that they said would be on the ost. If I had to guess it probably has like traditional Japanese instrumentation or something

Well that's pretty cool then.

J@hranimo

Banned
oyoWuGv.jpg

Got another random triple sub through level up tonight during turf wars. Good night.

Btw Sploosh is awesome, SM239 was right lol

Really dumb single player thing related to the amiibo challenges. I was wondering for ages why there were Hero replica charger and roller (aside from the challenges themselves and making up the basic trinity of Splatoon weapons) than it dawned on me. They are the weapons agents 1 and 2 use (
as we find out from the newsreels
).

Hmm so the OST is excluding the creepy Amb_BossCmn_FieldSE (the weird ambient sound you can hear in the boss fight areas before starting the boss battle and after ending it). If it is not on the OST it really has been forgotten.

The plaza soundscape is made up of 13 tracks. I think the speaker ones are swapped out (as there are some tunes I don't recognize) but for the rest the volume changes based on how near you are to objects.

It will be interesting to see how the OST treats these still the in-game versions are all mono sound.

Octo Valley and single player in general is also multiple channels of varying volumes but these can be likened to Mario Kart 8 where first place has some sound differences and also where some courses have the Shy Guys in places.

Kito

Devastated. I'm back at uni and their wifi's NAT type is Strict, which means I'm unable to play Splatoon online for the foreseeable future. :'(

Edit: Any way to make an iMac a wifi hotspot for the Wii U?

TM25

Neo Member
So there is a Splatoon tournament happening at EGX. Do we know anything about it? Nintendo's EU twitter put up a schedule. I would provide a link but not sure if links are allowed, I know scans are a bannable offence.

For better or worse I always find time for Splatoon.

I've also found that I really dislike using the Custom E-Liter. When I play with the Kelp Charger, I tend to stack a ton of damage ups, but that perk set doesn't translate well to the Custom E-liter for me. Having to rely on the main weapon to do most of the killing and inking is horrible, and I don't know when I have enough time to be putting down Beakons.

capped at 8 teams per day? lmao

edit: so apparently the prize for 1st in the Mario Kart 8 tournament they had last year was all Nintendo-published Wii U games at retail for the next year

for the record, that list consists of the following: Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Devil's Third (lol), Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Yoshi's Woolly World, Hyrule Warriors

that's 11 games! granted, they actually had online qualifiers for that

Pikma

Banned
The game just gave me 4 points for beating a tri squid team made of A+ players, we were all S, what the fuck is wrong with this game.

Azure J

Pikma

Banned
As you get close to S+, you will gain a max of 3 points. dunno what you are complaining about.
It does't make any sense, there are other times where I get 2 points just because there was one more S player on my team and that's totally alright. I'm not complaining about getting "too many points", I'm complaining about the inconsistency of the points system.

Rainmaker is fun.
I was just about to say the opposite. There are too many bullshit places where a team can take even the smallest lead, retreat, and hold the Rainmaker where the other team has no chance to get it. Right now people are taking it to the top of the wall on their team's side in the middle on Triggerfish. Once it's there any decent team can easily defend it till the clock runs down. I'm guessing they get the "don't retreat" message for a bit but it's not enough to stop them.

Zing

Banned
I was just about to say the opposite. There are too many bullshit places where a team can take even the smallest lead, retreat, and hold the Rainmaker where the other team has no chance to get it. Right now people are taking it to the top of the wall on their team's side in the middle on Triggerfish. Once it's there any decent team can easily defend it till the clock runs down. I'm guessing they get the "don't retreat" message for a bit but it's not enough to stop them.
This doesn't happen often enough in actual games to be an issue. Been playing rainmaker on camp for hours tonight and didn't see it once. In fact, I've only seen this once, ever.

Yeah, definitely, went down from rank S to A a few days ago.
So painful. :(

One of the things that helped me get back to S was to never play on tilt. I have ChrisD to thank for mentioning that in an earlier post. I realized that's what I was doing so often. I'd lose a close match or by bad teammates, get frustrated, and think "I have to play more to get those points back!" but I'd be way off my game. And it would get worse with each loss. So now I just play ranked on my own terms and when I lose, I generally stop. If I just had a long win streak I might allow two losses, but that's it. I'll either play Turf War and/or vent here and wait at least a few hours before playing again.

Edit:
This doesn't happen often enough in actual games to be an issue. Been playing rainmaker on camp for hours tonight and didn't see it once. In fact, I've only seen this once, ever.
I think you're right now, actually. I saw it in a few games earlier (oddly enough once when the other team was behind) but not since. I still think Kelp Dome needs to be fixed as it is impossible for the other team to recover the Rainmaker if the team that's ahead gets it back to their spawn area.

ryechu

This can't be true. I was on a team of A's and earned 6 points, jumping from S93 to S99.

K its false. I shouldve said +3 assuming equal or slightly disadvantaged teams. I never had an expereince with +6 but i believe your anecdote. I still dont believe pikma should complain about getting a free 4 points, however. The last person in on the enemy team was probably an S+ or something and he DCed.

Added myself to the spreadsheet, could use some friends to splat with. I hover around B and B+ in ranked. That said, I can only really use the short range shooters well like splattershot jr since I can't aim but can flank decently. Dual squelchers are good too since they have good range.

Trying to get used to the splatling and bucket, but its hard. Does anyone have tips?

Luigi87

I wish you could like honour teammates or something, because after nearly losing a match, in the last ten seconds a brave Inkling on my team managed to, on his/her own, get on the tower from mid and push it deep into the enemy base (all the way to 9 distance, enemies were leading at 28) to secure the win.

Edit: This is shortly followed by a game with a different team that, in the last 20 seconds (which we are winning) decide to all face rush the enemies on the tower and they all get splat'd, zero for three, so... Yeah, lost that

ChrisD

Has anyone else seen Splatoon's Miiverse in the last few hours? Every other post is a picture next to a player named Cindy, who's status reads, "If you see me in the plaza, take a selfie with me!"

It's weirding me out.

E: Okay, last hour, they cut off after that.

StAidan

lol, I really should spend less time in solo ranked, I get so salty that way. S+ was in reach for me at S 91, then matchmaking proceeds to screw me over with the craziest weapon combos, while giving enemy teams golden compositions like 2 blasters + 96 gal + eliter.

I love me some tower control, but my carry capacity still only goes so far :(

Pikma

Banned
K its false. I shouldve said +3 assuming equal or slightly disadvantaged teams. I never had an expereince with +6 but i believe your anecdote. I still dont believe pikma should complain about getting a free 4 points, however. The last person in on the enemy team was probably an S+ or something and he DCed.
All of them were A+, I unfortunately didn't take a pic but I'm sure of what I saw, it was:

S
S
S
S

vs

A+
A+
A+
A+ (DC'd)

And again, I'm not complaining about getting 4 points (why would I?), I'm complaining about the inconsistency of the points system and I'm using this particular anecdote as an example of it (and it's not even the only one). I don't think the system is always fair/consistent, and even if it is fair, it should be way more transparent.

Jintor

I think I'm skill capped around S rank, been slowly climbing that ladder but I'm well aware I'm being carried at this point and it's very dependant on what my teammates are like

that said, it's making me have more fun experimenting with weapons. Looked in my 'least played' armory and pulled out the .52 gal with the splash wall. Actually was playing with the .92 gal with splashwall, but it was just way too slow for me, so switched to the .52 and was pleasantly surprised with how good it feels. Splash Wall play is really fun, especially considering the last time I touched splash walls was back at launch without ranked, so it's been really great rediscovering it.

And the Killer Wail is actually pretty sick.

Luigi87

Back down to A- for me...
I swear I am getting some teams who care more about K/D ratio than winning. Like, some people who won't ever go on the tower.

Lobby loading

A- (me)
S
S
S
S+
S
S+
S

wtf game

Lost (I was on top on my team, lol) still -8... really game

Next game, all S, except me.

Had to stop playing, kept getting teamed against only S and S+, so I'm guessing I was getting paired against squads, ugh. On the upside, of my two losses, one win, I had the highest kill, lowest death count on my team (I get the irony of saying that based on what I wrote above, but I actually push the tower =P)

Pikma

Banned
Back down to A- for me...
I swear I am getting some teams who care more about K/D ratio than winning. Like, some people who won't ever go on the tower.

Lobby loading

A- (me)
S
S
S
S+
S
S+
S

wtf game

Lost (I was on top on my team, lol) still -8... really game

Next game, all S, except me.

Had to stop playing, kept getting teamed against only S and S+, so I'm guessing I was getting paired against squads, ugh.
You can't get paired against squads if you're playing solo

Top Bottom