• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I really respect anyone that's made it to S+. I've sat in the low S30s for about a month now and finally made a push up to as high as S93 over the last couple days. However, once I pass S80, I've been only getting +3 for a win and -6 for each loss when I'm playing against other S ranked players. I've also gotten a +1 after beating some A ranked players, but then got a -9 after losing to some. Ugh.

I really wish more players looked at the map.

totowhoa

Banned
I really respect anyone that's made it to S+. I've sat in the low S30s for about a month now and finally made a push up to as high as S93 over the last couple days. However, once I pass S80, I've been only getting +3 for a win and -6 for each loss when I'm playing against other S ranked players. I've also gotten a +1 after beating some A ranked players, but then got a -9 after losing to some. Ugh.

Holy shit.

Did not know S got so brutal. Makes it sound like a squad is almost necessary. Having not played in a squad, how do they handle point gains / losses? Any different?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Splatoon's website is finaly up in English... unless missed it

https://splatoon.nintendo.net/profile
Should post the art from Twitter too
CQmTxFgUwAA6aqu.jpg

69wpm

Same happened to me. Had a good ride to 87 points, after that lost 2 matches and 12 points within a few seconds. Yes, seconds, because my team was so dumb. I'm taking a break from Splatoon for a week or so.

I once made it to S rank. Highest was about.. S60 / 70 or something.
After that. I just started losing more points than I gained and dropped out of S again.
Doubt I'll ever reach S+

Should post the art from Twitter too

Gotta love Splatoon's artwork. Need that artbook...

Also. The official Splatoon just posted it too.
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/130588697699/one-of-our-interns-was-checking-out-our-google#notes

One of our interns was checking out our Google alerts and found a brand new Splatoon research portal at splatoon.nintendo.net! Login with your Nintendo Network ID to recruit friends for Splatoon battles, view rankings and equipment, and more! This site can be viewed on desktop or mobile devices and has a whole slew of handy dandy features:

Check the online status of your friends or see who you’re battling with!

Set Battle Plans - If you’re playing Splatoon at the time you set, you’ll automatically tweet to your followers to let them know you’re playing.

Check Your Rank - Win battles to raise your weekly rank.

Check out the gear and weapons you have equipped while playing online!

View the current and upcoming stage info to guide your weapon selection and battle strategy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice to see it finally translated

DaBoss

Bumping my humble request for the new page :p lost a full letter grade down to B working on my charger the last 2 days + all the disconnects tonight. Having tons of fun with them though and want to work my way into A/A+ if with them if possible.... My play just various wildly depending on the map now. My mains are tentatek, dual squelcher, or 52/96 gal depending on mood.

I do have a question about sprinklers though. Outside of splat zones, do they have a significant strategic purpose other than charging your special? I tend to just dump them in areas that I can get a lot of coverage for the special charge and that's it. I mean, bonus points if it happens to be center map, but I'll just as soon toss it in my base.
For stuff about Splatoon, I would guess the best place to look is SquidBoards: http://squidboards.com/

They have a bunch of stuff like guides and discussion about various things in Splatoon. Can't vouch for how good they are though.

As for playing with other GAF members, you should look at post #2 in this thread. A lot of people are using Discord which is basically an instant messaging app that also has voice chat. Most people look for squads/people to play with there.

That's pretty much it for sprinklers, so you are using them in the best way possible, except maybe there are spots you may be unaware of.
Damn that's rough alright. Definitely gives crazy bragging rights to S+

Now shooting for S- by Nov :p had a tiny taste of A+.
There is no S-, it is just S and S+.

Um... Does Discord just wipe everything in your account if you're gone for too long? I haven't played in three or four weeks, so I haven't logged in, and my username, avatar, and connection to the GAF server all just up and vanished. I tried to go through the invite again and I still can't get the server to show in the sidebar, so I can't actually go there.

I do have a question about sprinklers though. Outside of splat zones, do they have a significant strategic purpose other than charging your special? I tend to just dump them in areas that I can get a lot of coverage for the special charge and that's it. I mean, bonus points if it happens to be center map, but I'll just as soon toss it in my base.
In ranked not really aside from using for distraction purposes as players generally shoot a sprinkler on sight. If you or a team mate is nearby that can be an easy KO. There is minor harrasment possible by tossing one into the opposing teams main route into the action (which in ranked tend to be less than turf wars).

In turf wars it is worth dumping on an unpainted portion near your base when you respawn for some time free coverage (the ink should be recovered by swimming through the map. I used to throw it on the spawn point at the start to make the team move forward but I found that didn't stop team mates and limited my ink supply (and thus ability to paint) badly.

The other trick in turf wars is to waste the enemies time by tossing it such that it paints out of the way portions of the map (inkstrikes can used in a similar way). It is true most spots can achieve a similar effect with shooting though (gun can only shoot straight with the sprinkler does a 360 arc). The disadvantage of this is it can provide the enemy team with free ink to charge their specials with. You can learn some locations from other players you encounter or just playing around in recon mode.

ChrisD

Sensitivity changes motion controls as well, right? If that's the case, you could see about altering them while you get back in the groove.

Sensitivity changes motion controls as well, right? If that's the case, you could see about altering them while you get back in the groove.

I'm not sure they do. In any case, I was starting to get it back by the time I gave up on sniping for the night, so I just need to play a little more frequently in general, schedule permitting.

NotLiquid

Updated the SplatNet links in the OP (+ the map link to the schedule instead) and updated the mode description. I really ought to be more on the ball with that lmao.

Looking forward to what Splatoon has in store for the month of Octo

Curiously the English version of Splatnet says this:
Win battles to raise your weekly rank! Rankings are reset every Sunday at midnight! (Your rank is calculated by multiplying number of wins X win rate.)
Firstly the calculation info is missing the *10 (unless they've changed how it works) and secondly I doubt the time has been localised as I don't recall playing enough matches yesterday to reach the score I have (unless the calculation has changed) so I assume it uses Japan time for the reset.

Ugh, I got really sick of waiting for the amiibo 3 pack to be instock so I finally caved in on amazon and saw it for $49.99 amazon prime shipping so it'll be here Thursday. The extra $15 is worth it and I'll just give teh seller 3 stars for due to the price. All the gamestops around me said they haven't had any since release and that it won't be restocked which I'm hoping is bs. I also found that nowinstock place to be shitty, my alerts are setup correctly but it only alerted me 1/7 times it was in stock via text or email so its worthless =\ I can't wait though, just intime for the weekend

Doorman

SplatNet seems cool for what it has, but I really want to see it evolve even further in the future. Nintendo, you have your partnership with DeNa now, for Spla2n please give us a fully-fledged mobile app and greater personal stat tracking. The weekly scores and "area covered" rankings are fun to look at, but I'd love to have access to more detailed breakdowns a la what Capcom's doing with Street Fighter V. It'd be cool to see your record on each stage, or in a particular ranked mode, to check not only ink coverage but also overall splats/splatted for each weapon to figure out which weaponry you're most effective with over time. I'm sure there's even more they could do with it if they wanted to.

Kito

Ugh, I got really sick of waiting for the amiibo 3 pack to be instock so I finally caved in on amazon and saw it for $49.99 amazon prime shipping so it'll be here Thursday.

I wish I could find it for $50 on Amazon UK, where it's never below £60 ($90). The amazon.jp inkling squid reprint that I'm waiting for seem less likely with every day :(

I wish I could find it for $50 on Amazon UK, where it's never below £60 ($90). The amazon.jp inkling squid reprint that I'm waiting for seem less likely with every day :(
It got as low as £38.50 back in August. you would think the three pack actually being reprinted would help the price a little yet it seems only the opposite has happened.

The squid situation will be forever fucked in Europe (for those unaware we don't get a three pack, you have to buy a special edition of the game to get the squid) especially as that squid reprint didn't seem to happen with the inkling and three pack reprints.

jariw

It's been a while since we've gotten a Nintendo Direct, so why are we so certain that we'll get one this month? And even then, why would it be Splatoon specific? I love the game like none other, but Nintendo has other titles that it's trying to roll out for the holiday season. Those games need love too.

There seems to be more things pointing towards an upcoming Direct:
https://twitter.com/RogersBase/status/651525859531194368

New content to existing games (such as Pikmin/Smash/MK8 DLCs) have often been revealed/mentioned as a separate section in the general Directs. And it seems like Splatoon 2.1.0 has no further stages to unlock, while traces from 4 additional stages was found in earlier versions. So if there is a new Splatoon update arriving (with more stages to unlock and/or new modes), this month would seem like a good fit.

Zing

Banned
I still feel the Splatoon Amiibo are cheap looking compared to the Smash Bros figures. I wish I had never bought them. I'd sell mine at cost if anyone is desperate for them.

Nia

Since my computer went down and I haven't been able to record anything, I've been uploading every bit of Splatoon footage I can get my hands on. At the time I was recording more than I was uploading, so I couldn't keep up. Now though everything is uploaded, and I've pruned it so there are only decent and crazy matches. With that said, here are the links to the playlists if anyone wants to watch them:

Turf War Matches
Splat Zones
Tower Control
Special Matches (Silly matches for fun.)
Cats VS Dogs Splatfest
Rollercoasters VS Waterslides Splatfest
Hotdogs VS Marshmellows Splatfest (Could only record one short session

J@hranimo

Banned
I still feel the Splatoon Amiibo are cheap looking compared to the Smash Bros figures. I wish I had never bought them. I'd sell mine at cost if anyone is desperate for them.

Yeah boy and girl inkling are ok, it was always about the squid one. That's why they bundled it in a 3 pack here in NA ;)

Seeing Nia's recent videos of splatfest reminded me...seems Planes is the more popular choice so far with this NA Splatfest.

Neoxon

If the Inklings do get in Smash 4 as DLC, you could always just get that version.

Geg

I still haven't picked a side for this Splatfest... though my experience in the last one was so miserable I might not even participate

Effect

So what's the deal with this Octoling thing that is causing people's stats to reset I'm hearing about? This true? Going to be patched out? Statement from Nintendo or on the Splatoon tumblr?

Top Bottom