• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Sendou

Hopefully it includes special on the L button and spyke charging 10000 for slots/rerolls.
...It'll never happen though.

Hope it includes...

• LAN multiplayer
  • Spectator mode
  • Option to skip news
  • Change squad mode to rotate all maps and modes
  • Option to turn off and mix the music
  • Way to make "dream gear" for private battles without having to resort to save scumming or grinding for 9934299 hours
  • Luna goddamn Neo

After that I'm pretty satisfied.

DaBoss

I think an update that would come soon would address some of the issues found in the game and not have significant additions to the game. Though the last big update was in August and the next big update is gonna be soon so they may just address the issues in that update.
Hopefully it includes special on the L button and spyke charging 10000 for slots/rerolls.
...It'll never happen though.
Personally, I want it on the A button. Makes it easier to jump and use specials.

-----
There is LAN multiplayer, but not true LAN multiplayer since one Wii U has to be connected to the Internet.

Speaking of issues. For the last few days turf wars has been total garbage for me. So many 4v3 matches and when I thought I'd seen everything I started a 2v2 match which quickly became 1v2 (I was on the 2). I wonder if one of these days I'll be in Xv0 match. I've heard of that happening in ranked before.

Ranked on the other hand has been fine.

Are we expecting another huge update? I've been wondering if the August one would be the last thing in that vein and we'd just get weapons and stages from here on.

NotLiquid

Man the rock I've been living under must have been huge if the Splash Wall tech has gone so far that people are asking for nerfs

Also I'm pretty sure that NWPlayer's dates are based on estimates.

noshten

I honestly expect the next big update in December.
- SP Expansion(paid DLC or unlocked via new Amiibos they release)
- New Mode
- 3rd Map in Rotation(hopefully 2h rotation time)
- New Map
- More bling aka clothes(maybe Pants!)

I do hope they are working on Spectator mode, Tournament mode, Button Mapping, more commands on D-Pad, Music/SFX Control - also more maps with verticality and platforming but if we haven't gotten those already I don't think they would be implemented. Depends on how many of the devs are still working on the game and how many moved to other projects.

Splash Walls have gone from things that you'd see a player used once in a week or two of playing the game to little Inkling workers building walls of Squid China everywhere. It's pretty ubiquitous at this point. If you don't have wall on your squad or anti-wall strats down pat, you're in for bad times.

Good thing I don't play squads a lot - that would drive me mad, there is a nice variety of weapons with randoms. Also any chargers out there try to snipe right before the wall is dropped

Azure J

Man the rock I've been living under must have been huge if the Splash Wall tech has gone so far that people are asking for nerfs

Also I'm pretty sure that NWPlayer's dates are based on estimates.

Splash Walls have gone from things that you'd see a player used once in a week or two of playing the game to little Inkling workers building walls of Squid China everywhere. It's pretty ubiquitous at this point. If you don't have wall on your squad or anti-wall strats down pat, you're in for bad times.

The crazy part is I definitely knew/felt as though this would happen but still opted not to learn something with wall/wall strats sooner.

Edit: Video proof (just realized I can do this now):

Exhibit 1
Exhibit 2
Exhibit 3

Zing

Banned
The only issue I have with wall is being able to stand in it and be protected. Maybe any damage done to walk is done to the owner standing inside. As it is, you can stand inside it and be protected from both sides.

Otherwise, it is balanced since it uses a lot of ink. It is just very strong on rainmaker and to some extent tower control.

Those videos remind me... Can someone tell Azure to change the battery in his smoke detector? Every time I watch his videos, he always has that occasional BEEP and it drives me crazy.

Holy shit, those videos are from weeks ago and it was beeping back then. I just watched his stream a couple days ago and it was beeping. Does he just not hear it anymore?

J@hranimo

Banned
Just catching up on a few posts due to busy stuff.

I guess they will add Octolings,new maps, new gear and new weapons aaaannnd maybe a new mode.

According to Splatoon dataminer NWPlayer123's Twitter feed, October 14 for a Nintendo Direct and October 16 for the big update.

Don't ask how she would know the date of the Direct. But she's already got the playable Octoling and some new clothes going and she's pretty certain of these dates.

Oh yeah I'm aware of her saying this, but I'm not gonna take her guess on the Direct date as the gospel. As a matter of fact, we could possibly get a random overview video about an update since Nintendo is still in their sensitive transition period.

Why, in fact i think they need a buff.

When will we get new subweapons

A splash wall...BUFF? You crazy.

ss-hikaru

Callie and Marie just did their announcement of the Japanese splatfest.
Considering the awkward subject of squid vs octopus sushi ... I can't help but wonder what they said.
Can anyone translate?

Here. a video with the announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz9YNMzm3XY

Like Geg said they pretty much have a verbal battle comparing the different foods that have squid and octopus in them. Marie wins the argument with takoyaki :p

Callie: that's not fair Marie! I wanna eat takoyaki too!
Marie: *smug face*

Marie is queen #teammarie

MrGameBoy

I don't know if anyone else tried this, but somehow Battle Dojo is partially playable with a Nunchuk if you follow this procedure from this admin on N Masters:

Link-MN said:
Go to 1 on 1 mode and enter the second player with a Wiimote + Classic Controller. (When asked for control config, use the Pro version, aka, right one.) Then on the weapon selection, unplug the classic controller and connect the nunchuk. Now you'll find out that the controller actually responds properly to most inputs, including the Control Pad on the Wii Remote.

Controls:

Control stick = move
C = Squid
Z = Shoot
B = Jump

Obviously, not the best button mapping, but basic movement still feels great with the Nunchuk's analog stick. After playing around, I want Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk controls even more! With proper implementation of the pointer or gyro, such a control scheme should be viable for all modes in the game.

Source: http://www.n-masters.com/forum/index.php?topic=4772.0

Wouldn't surprise me if there is no European splatfest. NOE have dropped the ball in similar ways in the past like Picross DS (they put out one level pack and left it at that and the game in American and Japan had an absolute tonne of level packs) not to mention special Miis in Streetpass Mii plaza (I believe the last one was about a year ago and was some random gamefreak employee).

Maybe they're going to have a collab fest, so they postponed the splatfest. That's what happened to Japan last week.

Nico_D

Well that was a quick decision: got my first full order from Spyke! The Rockenberg Ink Resistance Boots with three walk speed ups. Thanks, Jeff!

At least I think I ordered them from him but if not, thanks to anyone else who I ordered them from.

Zing

Banned
Wow, I haven't seen anyone wear the blue moto boots in ages. Remember when it seemed everyone wore them? Good old Jungle Hat, White Anchor Shirt, and Moto Boots.

Kicko

It's been a while since we've gotten a Nintendo Direct, so why are we so certain that we'll get one this month? And even then, why would it be Splatoon specific? I love the game like none other, but Nintendo has other titles that it's trying to roll out for the holiday season. Those games need love too.

Doorman

If there is a direct this month (and it's not that far off of a call considering it's been quite some time and Nintendo does need to do something to give folks an update about what games are being focused on for the holiday season), I have to imagine that additional Splatoon content will be a part of it. It's simply become too big of a property on the system for them to completely ignore it, and the way constant updates and new gear rollouts are already central to the overall experience makes it an easy pick to receive some sort of paid DLC (Octolings?) in addition to more free content to keep the playerbase rolling and make it an attractive holiday season pickup. The value proposition for Splatoon is a lot stronger than it was at first launch, and with no Zelda or Star Fox Zero to really rev people up for the end of the year, Nintendo will need something to keep people's attention. This is especially true in Japan, where things like Yoshi's Wooly World and Xenoblade X have long since been released.

I don't think this game will get anything on a level of significance to what the August update brought with squads and private battles and all, but a few more maps and maybe one final new ranked mode aren't out of the question.

ChrisD

Wow, I haven't seen anyone wear the blue moto boots in ages. Remember when it seemed everyone wore them? Good old Jungle Hat, White Anchor Shirt, and Moto Boots.

You're right. Probably due to the nerfs from months ago, people finally realizing that they aren't godlike anymore.

Nothing changed with the fedora, that's still the most common hat.

So the unused Warrior Headdress hat (unused for reasons unknown, possible offense*) well it is still visible in-game without any cheating:
WVW69iQr30Y2Fi89Yi
To the right of the ski goggles and orange headphones. Cheers to @digibowser for noticing what has been visible for months :(

*-However in a post Hot Coffee era you see things like the Tharja trophy in SSB being completely eradicated (gotta get E10+ rating and her relative lack of clothes was a liability) so if that was the problem you would think the same here.

Man, I'm actually getting worried about no EU splatfest this weekend, that would really be a bummer :/
I'm really surprised American and Japanese Splatfests will happen simultaneously as that seems to be a recipe for the servers blowing up (I always assumed Japan was separate for that reason).

ChrisD

HOLD THE PHONE
WHY DID I JUST LOSE NINE POINTS TO GO FROM S 41 TO S 32?!

They had four A+, we had to A's, and two S!

How does this make sense

Edit: I just got five points in a 3v4 we won in twenty seconds... They were all S (including the one who disconnected before the start) and we had an A...

These games were also back to back. Did something change with the points system overnight? >_>

totowhoa

Banned
So I've been getting more into this game, to the point that I'd like to take it more serious and shoot for S rank now. What are the best resources to couple with practicing? No need to give me a bunch of links on a million topics (wouldn't mind though), but where are the best communities, youtube channels, etc. that I should mine to better understand perk+weapon combos (would rather not spend a ton of time in training to work out the stats), key strategies, etc?

Once I brush up a bit more and can stay in A / get in S, I wanna jump in with some of GAF :) haven't played a proper squad match yet.

Sorry- sure this kinda stuff is asked plenty :p

J@hranimo

Banned
Well Splatoon seems to be struggling this evening.

More comm errors and disconnects then I can remember.

The world needs the October update! D:

totowhoa

Banned
Well Splatoon seems to be struggling this evening.

More comm errors and disconnects then I can remember.

The world needs the October update! D:

Yeah I keep being told I have an unstable connection and getting booted :( just happened right as we were about to dunk the rainmaker too

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah. I'm trying to play this to put off all the office work I brought home. You're killing me here, Splatoon. :(

I haven't played much the last 2 weeks. Has this started happening a lot?

ChrisD

Yeah. I'm trying to play this to put off all the office work I brought home. You're killing me here, Splatoon. :(

I haven't played much the last 2 weeks. Has this started happening a lot?

I'm not sure about if it's happening more often than before, but I have seen more posts on it than usual.

I'm not sure about if it's happening more often than before, but I have seen more posts on it than usual.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Some parts of the online services are
experiencing technical difficulties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Mario Maker

Due to scheduled maintenance, some online services are
unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause and thank you for your patience.

Start Date and Time of Outage:

Monday, October 5, 2015 5:00 PM Pacific Time
Ongoing
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Online Play, Rankings, etc.

Due to a partial service outage, the following features
may be intermittently unavailable. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause.

Start Date and Time of Outage:

Monday, October 5, 2015 4:30 PM Pacific Time
Ongoing

Seems Nintendo has some server problems

totowhoa

Banned
So I've been getting more into this game, to the point that I'd like to take it more serious and shoot for S rank now. What are the best resources to couple with practicing? No need to give me a bunch of links on a million topics (wouldn't mind though), but where are the best communities, youtube channels, etc. that I should mine to better understand perk+weapon combos (would rather not spend a ton of time in training to work out the stats), key strategies, etc?

Once I brush up a bit more and can stay in A / get in S, I wanna jump in with some of GAF :) haven't played a proper squad match yet.

Sorry- sure this kinda stuff is asked plenty :p

Bumping my humble request for the new page :p lost a full letter grade down to B working on my charger the last 2 days + all the disconnects tonight. Having tons of fun with them though and want to work my way into A/A+ if with them if possible.... My play just various wildly depending on the map now. My mains are tentatek, dual squelcher, or 52/96 gal depending on mood.

I do have a question about sprinklers though. Outside of splat zones, do they have a significant strategic purpose other than charging your special? I tend to just dump them in areas that I can get a lot of coverage for the special charge and that's it. I mean, bonus points if it happens to be center map, but I'll just as soon toss it in my base.

Top Bottom