• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

backlot

Yay I said yesterday, a comeback hat with quick super jump bias right? Welp...

WVW69ikSa5oPz_Ly8W

Reroll!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
We've only gotten four new weapons in the last 35 days. Just interesting to note.

[edit] If we break the time Splatoon has been on the market into 35-day (five-week) chunks, the distribution of new weapons (and maps) added looks like this:

May 31 to July 4: eight weapons, three maps
July 5 to Aug. 8: 10 weapons, two maps
Aug. 9 to Sept. 12: four weapons, one map
Sept. 13 to Oct. 17: four weapons, one map
Oct. 18 to Nov. 21 (ongoing): four weapons, one map

[edit 2] Added stages to the breakdown above.

Before I lost all my gear, I only played with the Aerospray and (sometimes) the Splatter Shot Jr. Been playing with the Neo Splash-o-matic and I really like it. I'm having to really learn what my range is though. I keep trying to get way closer than I have to.

I like the new map....but they need to make some more of the surfaces inkable. I like it though.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think the lack of walls is fine as it makes you interact with the spinner in the middle to break through the middle ground.

Museum d'Alfonsino cons thoughts: Kraken sends snipers into dumb retreats. To get into their area you use the central platfrom so I transform there. Two snipers on the adjacent platform. One decided to get away from me by jumping into my path and the other decided to leave their grate vantage point (which as you might remember would be absolutely safe since kraken fall right through).

The salt is still strong in this squid.
WVW69ikbD7oGmv5Xr7
More like the salt is strong in this treehouse...
Well, European Marie says "the gift shop, the cafe" there (why is it always about food!?) so it isn't too different.

Really? I thought it was showing how big the splash wall hitbox is. I hate how big it is.
Everything has big hitboxes it feels like (this might be why aiming isn't too hard). I hate suction bombs. It feels like their kill zone is the blast radius +5% and the size of the bomb is deceptive WRT this.

The comic loads slowly for me but looks like they're playing ranked ion the mall :D I wonder if to follow up on their advice of "ink the walls" in turf wars the ranked advice will be "ignore the objective, ink everything, if everything is inked the enemy can't move" :(

Ansatz

Terrible map. There are way too many angles to cover for 4 people, it's just chaos.

I still think Port is the best map for ordered, competitive play. Two teams, two bases, symmetric, 4 people and 3 lanes.

Geg

The general strategy from players in turf war I've seen so far seems to be just ignore the middle and rush over the platforms to the enemy side as quickly as possible. Most firefights and disputes in the middle end up being pointless because by the time I get rid of enemies there it seems we've already got two base invaders

Also no really good places for beakons on this stage :(

Ansatz

You can literally hear squids that use the stealth ability swim towards you and I guessed right where in the sea of ink he was coming from, it was probably a big WTF moment for him! lol

The fact that you can hear stealthers renders it almost useless.

The general strategy from players in turf war I've seen so far seems to be just ignore the middle and rush over the platforms to the enemy side as quickly as possible. Most firefights and disputes in the middle end up being pointless because by the time I get rid of enemies there it seems we've already got two base invaders.

This is generally what I do in Turf Wars as well—but the difference is, I never seem to get base invaders, making those firefights much more meaningful.

Invading bases is hard. I've tried to do it myself at times, and it's difficult to get over... Plus, usually the other team sees you when someone in the middle invariably and respawns at the base.

i will never stop getting angry at rainmaker teammates who are inches away from giving us the point lead super late in the match... and then just stop cold out of fear of dying, inevitably being flanked as they sit still like a giant target and losing us the match

always

ALWAYS

totowhoa

Banned
i will never stop getting angry at rainmaker teammates who are inches away from giving us the point lead super late in the match... and then just stop cold out of fear of dying, inevitably being flanked as they sit still like a giant target and losing us the match

always

ALWAYS

Hahaha I did this once and felt TERRIBLE. I didn't realize I was just one point away! I should have have just pushed a little more instead of trying to take out a dude.

In other news, I've finally figured out that the Tentatek and 96 gal deco guns are my best depending on map/mode. Found the right gear buffs for my style too with those guns too. Just broke into S rank this morning after that kind of fell into place for me this week.

Time for that grind to S+. Is it any harder than A+ -> S? Almost seems nicer since the point values are lower. Less punishment for disconnects and off nights so it seems harder to fall back into A+ so far.

Diffense

always

ALWAYS

UGh..so annoying.

Sakura

What weapons are people using now?
I haven't played in about 100 years and I am having a hard time deciding which weapons are good.

Geg

always

ALWAYS

lol I saw that happen on Sendou's stream earlier this morning, the enemy team was wiped but the guy with the rainmaker on his team was still too scared to move forward the 4 paces needed to get the lead

What weapons are people using now?
I haven't played in about 100 years and I am having a hard time deciding which weapons are good.
The Splattershot and Tentatek Splattershot are pretty decent all-round weapons, though the Tentatek is much more straight-forward than the regular Splattershot. They both fire fast, have average range, can kill quickly, don't run out of ink very often, and have very good bomb sub weapons. Inkzooka's been nerfed a lot, but it's still really good. I've started to turn around on Burst Bomb Rush and I feel it's probably better than I give it credit for, but Inkzooka is easier to use.

Personally though, I really like using the Custom Jet Squelcher. It's good at long range, it's decent at mid range and it is still pretty good at short range. CJS can't really fight around corners consistently, but otherwise that's the only significant weakness it has (outside of general weaknesses such as being outranged by chargers).

The damage output from the main weapon for the CJS is not great, but you can start laying down damage and ink from a long distance without charging or spinning. You can also cheat the slow kill speed by mixing in Burst Bombs with your shots, which are also generally good at covering walls, dealing some minor area damage, and cutting off enemies that are moving around a lot.

Nightii

Banned
Hi, folks! I just finally bought the game today and I'm about to jump in, just a question: is the next Splatfest tonight? I'm not sure I want to begin playing in the middle of one.

Geg

No, though that reminds me we're overdue for a Splatfest announcement. According to the usual 3 week schedule there would be one next week, but it looks like it's skipping a week.

Also welcome!

Top Bottom