• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Haha, yeah, jump and flick from a few steps away is the way to go. It's bad even then because you're a sitting duck while doing it. (You're close to the wall, so your field of view is awful for catching enemy approaches.) Of course, at Bluefin, at least there's a way up. Flounder Heights is right out, the walls there are pretty much unapproachable until a teammate inks the way for you (and sometimes no one does it where you need it most).
Yikes... yeah I really wish one of the brushes had Burst Bombs then, b/c when maps with verticality show up they seem quite disfavored :X

Finally got a chance to play the new map. It is awesome! I really like the way the center area is laid out with the spinning platform and the two dead ends in the corner. I keep expecting people to stand in the middle of the spinner but it's rarely used that way in the games I've played. Just used for mindgames on the ground and getting across.

I camp the middle tower anytime there isn't an enemy sniper that outranges me, lol. It's fun up there!

ss-hikaru

The new map is really good for brush, maybe weaker in Tower Control than the other two modes but I'm not sure yet. (Maybe I just suck at it :) )

As far as getting the hang of it, inking ground and laying beacons are priorities with Octobrush, since stealth/ambush is the most effective way to get kills. Once you lose map control, short range weapons become far less useful. Certain maps favor a base invading strategy (good for Octobrush) that makes it almost impossible for the enemy to make any inroads, because they are so focused on getting you out of their base.

Yeah there's enough staggering in the Museum stage that I can lay down ink from above without needing to try and get someplace high. It certainly is fun sneaking up and splatting people >:3

The Splatoon map rotation approach feels right. Depending on the maps available I'll either be using the Heavy Splatling, Custom Splattershot Jr or the Octobrush, all very different weapon types. And it's FUN!

Forgive me since I don't actually play this game, but for ranked battles, did they recently change how people's names are listed after match? At one point, people were ranked by their number of splats — did they change it so people are now ranked by how much they contributed to the objective?

Robotguy

Forgive me since I don't actually play this game, but for ranked battles, did they recently change how people's names are listed after match? At one point, people were ranked by their number of splats — did they change it so people are now ranked by how much they contributed to the objective?
It's now based on win rate over the last 10 matches.

Geg

yl6PDyU.png

That one little ink saver sub is the saddest thing :(

Okay thanks. Didn't know it was based on splats from the past few matches.

Yeah they said they wanted to try to let players know that more than just kills can help contribute to a team's victory.

Regiruler

So basically anything related to a museum means it's France inspired? No, lol.

The only thing that actually references France is the Mona Lisa painting on a wall, but there are multiple other mock pieces of art scattered on the map.

I specifically said art museum. The distinction is significant, and yes it is a generalized stereotype of France.
It's now based on win rate over the last 10 matches.

When did they change that? I haven't been able to play in ages and I never noticed this in any of the patch notes.
Can't say I like the sound of that though. It doesn't represent your performance in the previous match.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
When did they change that? I haven't been able to play in ages and I never noticed this in any of the patch notes.
Can't say I like the sound of that though. It doesn't represent your performance in the previous match.

Yeah, it was in the most recent patch.

Jims

I camp the middle tower anytime there isn't an enemy sniper that outranges me, lol. It's fun up there!

I try to but end up finding myself a big target when I get up there. People constantly throwing stuff or climbing up the spinner behind me. It's like Blackbelly Skatepark tower without the huge height advantage. It's fun for boxing the other team out, however.

I agree that it's a lot safer without a charger around. The museum in general doesn't seem like too much of a sniper-friendly map at least for the Turf Wars setups. Maybe ChargerGAF can give an informed opinion about it but, especially compared to a lot of other maps, I notice chargers get pushed out of their perches a lot more often on that map. The rotating part is really exposed for Splat/Suction/Burst Bombs to annoy them and some of the other entrances don't give a lot of great angles. It's probably much more charger-friendly when the charger's team has control of the middle, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I try to but end up finding myself a big target when I get up there. People constantly throwing stuff or climbing up the spinner behind me. It's like Blackbelly Skatepark tower without the huge height advantage. It's fun for boxing the other team out, however.

I agree that it's a lot safer without a charger around. The museum in general doesn't seem like too much of a sniper-friendly map at least for the Turf Wars setups. Maybe ChargerGAF can give an informed opinion about it but, especially compared to a lot of other maps, I notice chargers get pushed out of their perches a lot more often on that map. The rotating part is really exposed for Splat/Suction/Burst Bombs to annoy them and some of the other entrances don't give a lot of great angles. It's probably much more charger-friendly when the charger's team has control of the middle, though.

I found out firsthand that the best sniper perch is when you go right from the starting base and follow that wall down a ramp and to the right where you'll have a view of a large platform far below as well as some of the raised area to the left, one of the central spinning things and the opponent's far-left high perch (which is dead ahead of you in the distance). You can't see the entire map, but it lets you lock down one side in Turf War and it's almost impossible for enemies to reach you without an Inkzooka or Inkstrike.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
But when? Tonight??

Maybe not, the U.S. Splatoon's Tumblr account hasn't updated with it yet.

[edit] The translation says it comes on the 18th at 11 a.m. in Japan, which lines up with coming to the U.S. tonight ... maybe the Tumblr writer is still coming up with some witty puns.

J@hranimo

Banned
Maybe not, the U.S. Splatoon's Tumblr account has updated with it yet.

[edit] The translation says it comes on the 18th at 11 a.m. in Japan, which lines up with coming to the U.S. tonight ... maybe the Tumblr writer is still coming up with some witty puns.

Oh ok. I figured it was coming tonight but the EU page has really been quick to let this news out before any other region haha. Just had to make sure.

I still haven't put in time to get good with the Bamboozler but do know how destructive of a weapon it can be in the right hands. Splatgaf tonight is gonna be nuts lol.

Nightii

Banned
Is there any Youtube channel I could watch to learn playstyles and be better? I am getting the hang of it all fairly quickly I think, but I still have issues getting the hang of weapons like Splatlings and Inkbrushes. Not to mention that while I know they have use and purpose, I have yet to achieve any effective use of Point Sensors, Disruptors and the Echolocator.

On the weekend I managed to get to level 12 and a rank of C, I have yet to play Splat Zones, but Tower Control and Rainmaker are pretty fun! I do need to learn to not jump straight into the Tower/Rainmaker at the first chance, though.

Regiruler

But it does.
It was a joke.

Mostly.

I haven't played since it's been added.
Is there any Youtube channel I could watch to learn playstyles and be better? I am getting the hang of it all fairly quickly I think, but I still have issues getting the hang of weapons like Splatlings and Inkbrushes. Not to mention that while I know they have use and purpose, I have yet to achieve any effective use of Point Sensors, Disruptors and the Echolocator.

On the weekend I managed to get to level 12 and a rank of C, I have yet to play Splat Zones, but Tower Control and Rainmaker are pretty fun! I do need to learn to not jump straight into the Tower/Rainmaker at the first chance, though.
To be honest, there isn't considerable fundamental differences between weapons, barring a few exceptions. Only real way to get better is to practice, and skill with one weapon transfers a lot to skill with another in the same category.

If you're level 12, that tells me you've only put in about 10 hours or so. If you're level 25 and still struggling, then I'd start to worry.

I decided to try out the Bamboozler for the first in turf wars (to celebrate the newer one). I'm disappointed at how the slower charge speed in air that chargers suffer from feels like a universal value as it hampers its main selling point in levels with vertical drops. I do appreciate how far uncharged shots reach though the rhythm of fully charged followed by uncharged and both hitting can be hard to achieve. Maybe Mk II will be better here with distruptors/echolocate.

It is also a hairbringer of bad luck. 3v4 matches and not just due to disconnects. Had two consecutive matches with people squidkidding around to score 34 points and 1 point. It was different players too and never anyone on the opposite team.

Also I must have done something to the Skalop brand as I don't get quick respawn anywhere close to 30% of the time. *prepares to throw Squid Nordic cap into the re-roll or more likely ignore pile*

Nightii

Banned
I'm sure this question has been made plenty of times, but as of right now, which are the most important/useful perks to have? From what I have observed, increased movement speed options are king, are the defense and offense buffs worth it? How much do diminishing returns affect stacking?

So far, my favorite weapons are definitely Sloshers and Shooters (mostly the N-Zaps), the former definitely needing movements buffs to offset the slow handling, right?

To be honest, there isn't considerable fundamental differences between weapons, barring a few exceptions. Only real way to get better is to practice, and skill with one weapon transfers a lot to skill with another in the same category.

If you're level 12, that tells me you've only put in about 10 hours or so. If you're level 25 and still struggling, then I'd start to worry.
I am cool with that, I'll be playing this game a lot, so I'm ready for the grind, plus I never really get down after losing.

Geg

WVW69ilIfuEc4nxwKb

Yeeee. Only took me two rerolls to get that, as opposed to the rainy day tee which still didn't give me triple swim speed after about 30

HF2014

Ok, imjust hit lvl 20 and i can definitivly say that rank mode are now much more fun. You get xp for a lost, even if a little, i think its less frustrating now.

But now i realise i need maybe to change my gear to play in rank mode. What are the best main anilities to have? I think having ink resistance up might be not worth it? I will defintivly get some swim speed up, what else is good?

ffdgh

Ok, imjust hit lvl 20 and i can definitivly say that rank mode are now much more fun. You get xp for a lost, even if a little, i think its less frustrating now.

But now i realise i need maybe to change my gear to play in rank mode. What are the best main anilities to have? I think having ink resistance up might be not worth it? I will defintivly get some swim speed up, what else is good?

Probably in the minority but some Quick respawn is an absolute must for me.

That aside, run/swim for rain maker
More quick respawn for tower control
zones varies but special charge up and or ink saver mains

Kito

Been maining Inkbrush in Rainmaker for the lols, and it's surprisingly effective. Have had two weeks of Turf Wars practice with it though. If it holds up in the other modes, I may retire Tri-Slosher - it's currently halfway to max area inked!

o4ypaSx.png

HF2014

Probably in the minority but some Quick respawn is an absolute must for me.

That aside, run/swim for rain maker
More quick respawn for tower control
zones varies but special charge up and or ink saver mains

Thanks for that info. But wondering something, do you get bonus if you get more than 3 sub of a skill? Let say i have 6, will they stack?

I finally opened and listened to Splatune, and it's interesting what you don't really hear while playing the game. I had no idea there's voice in Inkstrike Shuffle, for example.

Edit: There are bells in the first final boss theme!

Kito

I finally opened and listened to Splatune, and it's interesting what you don't really hear while playing the game. I had no idea there's voice in Inkstrike Shuffle, for example.

Edit: There are bells in the first final boss theme!

After I started playing with headphones I was shocked at all the subtleties in the music (I don't have special speakers.) Now when I play without headphones it's like being underwater.

Nightii

Banned
Sea food is a treat, I would join Marie without hesitation if this was an American Splatfest (and then lose under the crushing weight of the meat lovers).

Azure J

Sea food is a treat, I would join Marie without hesitation if this was an American Splatfest (and then lose under the crushing weight of the meat lovers).

Won't argue with that. At the same time, picking a side for this one would be such a hard thing for me being of West Indian descent. :lol

Top Bottom